I still find it incredible that the PC Engine had a CD-drive even before the Megadrive or SNES had come out. I was still listening to music on cassettes back then.

Soldier Blade and Gunhed forever!

It isn't really reflected in my above list, but the other big difference between the old school games (primarily the 8-bit ones) and the newer ones is that the old games RARELY had a battery back-up.

It became a bit of a twisted challenge/merit badge to complete a game in one sitting. I think that little extra challenge is what made playing the games so hard and fun. You'd get to that last level with maybe one or two lives left, thinking to yourself, "Damn it. I'm about to finish this game. I CANNOT make a mistake!!," and the pressure would be on!!

I could never be Golgo 13 for Nes because of this. The NES would always freeze before I could finish the game. Also the battery in my copy of Zelda II The Adventure of Link never worked properly even when it was brand new. What a pity that is/was.

Another game I had was Jurassic Park on the SNES. That thing took hours and hours of my life away precisely because of the lack of battery-backed memory.I recently saw the ending on Youtube. I'm glad I never finished it: it was such a half-assed ending sequence that I would've smashed the TV set.

But if you beat it you can put your name in the high scores and it won't save it! lol

I just picked up a mint Gameboy (fat) with case, original headphones, link cable and the official Nintendo battery pack for $20 at a Flea Market. I already have a Gameboy but this one was in slightly better condition and was cheap to boot.. Incidentally someone was selling a green case Gameboy there too, totally forgot they made alternate colours of the fat version. Also picked up a copy of SNES Mechwarrior and what a delightful gem that game is, not at all like I remember :p

I could never be Golgo 13 for Nes because of this. The NES would always freeze before I could finish the game. Also the battery in my copy of Zelda II The Adventure of Link never worked properly even when it was brand new. What a pity that is/was.

But if you beat it you can put your name in the high scores and it won't save it! lol

I just picked up a mint Gameboy (fat) with case, original headphones, link cable and the official Nintendo battery pack for $20 at a Flea Market. I already have a Gameboy but this one was in slightly better condition and was cheap to boot.. Incidentally someone was selling a green case Gameboy there too, totally forgot they made alternate colours of the fat version. Also picked up a copy of SNES Mechwarrior and what a delightful gem that game is, not at all like I remember :p

Yeah, they made a whole bunch of GB variations before they finally made the Color one. They had the Fatboys in like 5 or 6 colours, then the GB Pocket in the same colours again, and after those I got a GB Light which is the one with the Indiglo backlight which was pretty cool, then the GB Color, but that has an extremely short lifespan before the GBA came out. At that point I stopped playing video games altogether.

As for Mechwarrior, that sounds familiar. Is that the one which has an isometric-style view? It's related to Battletech, right? I read in the RT/HG thread that they were coming out with a new version but got C&D-slapped or something because of Destroids, or is that another thing entirely?

Here's another well known shooter : AREA-88/ Un Squadron. This and Axelay are considered the best shooters for the SFC.

I never really played Area 88, but I have heard it is good. You have to earn money to buy weapons and stuff. For me, the best shooter is Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie, though. It's just that awesome.

Don't forget Super Aleste, that's good, too. Not particularly hard, but the levels are extremely long.

How about other robot games like Cybernator/Valken, Metal Warriors? Anybody play those? I had never even heard about Metal Warriors until Destroy All Podcasts mentioned it once when they talked about oldschool stuff, and it turned out to be pretty cool.

As for Mechwarrior, that sounds familiar. Is that the one which has an isometric-style view? It's related to Battletech, right? I read in the RT/HG thread that they were coming out with a new version but got C&D-slapped or something because of Destroids, or is that another thing entirely?

You're thinking of Mechwarrior 2040, which was a different and inferior game. Also an isometric run&gun instead of a first-person simulation like Mechwarrior.

Mechwarrior series is Battletech: The Videogame. So yeah, related.

The new Mechwarrior isn't over. They removed the specific mechs HG had an issue with, just like FASA did back in the day.

MS bought FASA and didn't realize some of the classic mechs people were clamoring for had legal baggage attached when they started the new game.

That answer your questions?

I agree with you guys regarding Axelay, its the best shooter for the SFC. If I remember back before its release someone mentioned that it was called Salamander-2/Life Force-2, was it true ?

Personally, I don't really LIKE Axelay. Not from what I've played. I'd rather play R-Type 3.

Or Super Aleste/Space Megaforce.

Yeah, definitely Super Aleste. Compile, now THAT was a company that knew how to do shooters right.

@Renato

Unfortunately we never received any of the backlit Nintendo handhelds in North America until the SP(?). We just had to make due with various maglight and wormlight peripherals.

Battletech preceeds mechwarrior timeline wise, basically before the clans.

Growing up one of my friends had Metal Warriors for SNES, which is an excellent game if a bit difficult at times. I remember vividly how he would yell out "Prometheus!" when he would find one in a stage. Unfortunately I do not personally own the cart but should I ever happen upon one in person I will certainly leap upon the opportunity to own it.

SNES mechwarrior

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588475-mechwarrior

My first console was a Sega Mega Drive and I spent many happy hours playing on it. Games I remember spending ages playing are: ESWAT, an F22 game (forget the name), a Buck Rogers game (again, forget the name). There were loads of other great titles as well, but again I've forgot their names (getting old). Really wish I'd kept that.

Graham

@Renato

Unfortunately we never received any of the backlit Nintendo handhelds in North America until the SP(?).

SP2.

Original GBA SP had a (very bad) side light.

Speaking of Compile, somewhere in the deep recesses of my memories lies a nagging urge to beat Power Strike (Aleste)for my SMS. I never did beat that game.

Ever play Zanac on the NES? Adaptive difficulty, so the better you play, the angrier the game gets.

I tell ya, a shooter is never more fun than when the computer is throwing a hissy fit because it can't kill you. It's so incredibly satisfying to be on the other side of that fence for a change.

After some googling model#AGS-101 appears to be the proper nomenclature for the newer SP. Personally I have the micro instead which is about on par with it in terms of lighting so I cannot confirm the model number. The micro is great for anything not to involved like RPGs but not so great for action titles because of the smaller ergos obviously.

Growing up my Mother had a system that only played pong (or a clone) for the life of me I can't remember what it looked like (googled around a bit) just what it actually did. These days I guess it would be closest related to those all in one cheapo systems that current children would probably not even attempt to mask their disgust with when receiving as a present :lol:

Anybody a fan of NES Silk Worm? It was interesting at the time because you played as a helicopter and/or a jeep in a side scrolling shooter.

Ever play Zanac on the NES? Adaptive difficulty, so the better you play, the angrier the game gets.

I tell ya, a shooter is never more fun than when the computer is throwing a hissy fit because it can't kill you. It's so incredibly satisfying to be on the other side of that fence for a change.

Yep, I never had an NES, but I always played Zanac at my friend's house. I never beat that game either!

Heh, I remember Silkworm. Many a quarter did it take from me. My cousin and I always had to flip a coin to see who gets to play as the chopper.

During the 16-bit era my faves included the Phantasy Star series and the Shinobi games, especially the last one.

Lately, I've gotten myself addicted to an old PC game called Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator. It's mostly text-based, but it gives players a rough idea of how Israel does business with its neighbors.

Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator Review and Download Site

The ME is a ripe setting for good new action games (note - not the ones where you play as a US Marine named Ramirez). An Ace-Combat styled game with late 60's aircraft set to the tune of the 6-day war would be awesome... or a shooter that puts you in the role of an Israeli commando during the Yom-Kippur war - which is the second closest time the world came to nuclear war.

But of course, due to the hyper-political sensitivity of any news coming from that part of the world, we'll continue to see games based solely on the Iraq conflict(s).

Surprised no one on this board has mentioned this cool little modded game before: http://www.newground...tal/view/534416

Rather appropriate game for the thread topic. ;)

I love that, have to resist playing it at work all the time.

I kind of want to try replaying the D&D Gold box games but for the life of me I can't remember where I put them and even if they are "PC compatible". I originally had a Macs..

an F22 game

:lol: sometimes I forget how old the F-22 project actually is. The time from first flight to service introduction was extremely long from memory.

Is this really a SNES thread so far? I don`t have very good reflexes so some of the best SNES games for me were Metal Marines/Militia, P.T.O.II and UN Squadron/Area 88. I did finish Megaman X, Darius Twin, Aliens, Cybernator and all the SNES Mario games still though, I just took longer than anyone else I know. The thing about SNES was a lot of the games were just poor mario clones AKA platformers. Way too many platformers on SNES, the games that broke that mould were always the best imo

I`ve had Scramble Valkyrie sitting on my shelf for a couple of years but have yet to get my SNES out of storage to finally play it.

I've been out of pc for a bit...

Is there such a thing as a dos emulator?

I have battletech crecent hawks inception in box with 3.5 &5 1/4 floppies. I played it on my old win 98 machine which dual booted to 2kpro and I believe it work on both. I ported it to my new laptop [via cd from the old tower], and it could not detect the 16k of memory neccessary to play :rolleyes: . Any advice?

everybody already know that there was a nes, snes, sega master system, sega genisis, and atari emulator for roms on the sega dreamcast right? I never got the intellivision emu to work though. Still great to have a couple hundred genisis games on one cd playable on dreamcast. Star control was always so much fun. suck limpet mines all who disaggree :lol:

Ah Axelay... had many fond gaming memories with this one. My only real regret about that game, was that a proper sequel was never realized for Axelay. Oh what could have been...

Another STG franchise that stole my heart as a youth was the Thunder Force games. Now those were challenging games to play.

I've been out of pc for a bit...

Is there such a thing as a dos emulator?

I have battletech crecent hawks inception in box with 3.5 &5 1/4 floppies. I played it on my old win 98 machine which dual booted to 2kpro and I believe it work on both. I ported it to my new laptop [via cd from the old tower], and it could not detect the 16k of memory neccessary to play :rolleyes: . Any advice?

DOSbox is a dos emulator. You can down load it here. http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

The old NES: Double Dragon

Yes! Pretty much all the beat em up scrollers are a lot of fun. Bad Dudes, River City Ransom, Final Fight, Altered Beast, Battletoads, Streets of Rage etc..

The genre is kind of dead now but I see a few still trickle by. They're great because of the Co-Op and easy pickup.

I know its not 2D but imho I think the best of that Genre was actually Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka for arcade/Saturn, its probably my all time favorite Saturn game. I played a sequal at some arcade in Tokyo a few years ago, it was bizarre, with weird enemies made of transforming lego??

Edited by Million Star

shooters: Gaiares (i think I'm spelling that right) was one of my favorites

Oh, heck yeah!

That one's awesome.

That was really where the Genesis shone.

It's got more and generally better shooters than the SNES.

Don't forget MUSHA/Musha Aleste. Another fine Compile product.