• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Anyone here snag an Atari VCS?

You mean it's not vaporware?

In all seriousness I'm kind of interested.  I dig that it's actually a mini PC and not some Raspberry Pi thing, but I'm waiting for reviews on Atari OS, the default games, whatever game store they decide to use, if it's easy to mod and expand the storage, etc before I drop $400 on it.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

You mean it's not vaporware?

In all seriousness I'm kind of interested.  I dig that it's actually a mini PC and not some Raspberry Pi thing, but I'm waiting for reviews on Atari OS, the default games, whatever game store they decide to use, if it's easy to mod and expand the storage, etc before I drop $400 on it.

So far, I’m not super impressed, but I’m an early adopter so hiccups are to be expected. I mean, you can just load RetroPie on a Pi etc. if you really want Atari games. The games they are adding could be cool but nothing super yet. I’m having a heck of a time getting a gaming OS of any kind to load in their PC mode.

9 minutes ago, pablumatic said:

Yes I did. The one with the wood grain finish front for nostalgia's sake.

I've got so many games and consoles already I haven't opened it yet.

Cool. See above. Will be curious your thoughts when you set up.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Black Valkyrie said:

I love the look of the thing, and I'm a fan of Sega's '80s and '90s arcade games.  But I don't think I $130 love this thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Get your PSP, Vita, and PS3 game downloads before Sony stops the ability to purchase them this summer. This is why I prefer physical games. Sony already stopped the ability to purchase games for those systems via an online browser. You have to go though your system.

On 4/10/2021 at 4:38 AM, JetJockey said:

Get your PSP, Vita, and PS3 game downloads before Sony stops the ability to purchase them this summer. This is why I prefer physical games. Sony already stopped the ability to purchase games for those systems via an online browser. You have to go though your system.

Not real happy about PS3- mine's actually still hooked up in the living room (I don't have my old PSX, my PS2 is in the closet, my PS4 is at my dad's, and my PS5 is in my bedroom). But PPSSPP covers my PSP needs. As for the Vita, well, Persona 4 Golden is on Steam, Wipeout 2048 is part of the Omega Collection on PS4, and... actually, I think that's it for me and the Vita.

Meanwhile, the Xbox Series X plays sone games going back to the original Xbox, with a handful (and a lot of 360 games) even available on Game Pass, and games for all four generations are still available in the digital store. Heck, I just bought the first Mercenaries game.

Edited by mikeszekely

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Interesting.  The console and mouse are A500, but the controller is like a tweaked version of the CD32's.  I understand that, like the C64 mini, it'll have the ability to sideload roms.  I wonder if it's limited to just A500 games?

Hmm.  I had a C64 as a kid, but never got around to picking up a C64 mini.  I know the Amiga line was popular in Europe, but despite the A500 apparently being sold in the US I don't think I was aware of the brand until reading about the CD32 in a gaming magazine.  And the CD32 wasn't sold here, so I can't say that I'm excited enough to drop $140 on it.  But if it goes cheap like the C64 mini did I might check it out.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to post this earlier, but had problems doing so - Sir Clive Sinclair, driving force behind the ZX Spectrum, has passed:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-19-in-memory-of-sir-clive-sinclair

I realise this is probably bigger news on my side of the pond than it will be for most MWers, but its very difficult to overstate the impact his little rubber keyed black box had on the UK games industry.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

2 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Dracula X is a nice addition. Still leaves us wanting a DS collection, plus a few other orphaned games like Legends.

5 hours ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Well, at least they should included Super Castlevania IV. 

It's in the previous Anniversary Collection.

2 hours ago, Scyla said:

Yeah, I really want to play Order of Ecclesia. -_-

That crab...

Ecclesia is great, but I actually have a soft spot for Portrait of Ruin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else grab the new Legend of Zelda 35th Anniversary Game & Watch?  I thought $50 was a bit steep for last years Super Mario version, since it only came with SMB, SMB: The Lost Levels, and Ball.  The Zelda one is a much better value with The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, and Vermin.  The packaging is also a bit nicer, too.  Instead of the simple insert that holds the console and USB cord that the SMB version had, this one has a nice glossy black insert that has a spot inside for the USB cord but a tray for the console.  The tray has a cutout to run the USB cable through and flaps that fold out to make a kickstand, so you can actually set it up and display the console in clock mode this time.  So yeah, if you liked last year's SMB unit then you'll love the new Zelda one, and if you thought $50 was too much for last year's SMB unit then you'll be happy to know that you're definitely getting more bang for your buck this time around.  I wouldn't mind if Nintendo did a few more of these with some of their other first-party games.