I saw this and thought, "I'll buy that for a dollar!" ... And I literally did. :)

Kirby's Dreamland 2. Man, this game is incredible! I think I remember it was in one of those one-in-50 game cartridges a friend sold to me in university, but by that point I wasn't paying much attention...

post-1318-0-58555500-1368525382_thumb.jpg

Well, there are less and less retro game shops here nowadays... I remember just a few years ago there were many, many more. Prices on a lot of items are dirt cheap for the most part, though. Occasionally you will come across expensive things but rarely do prices escalate beyond the original MSRP.

At least that's what I find, though I only concentrate on Gameboy and SNES stuff, and sometimes PS1. A lot of these games may have depreciated due to Virtual Console etc. downloadable re-releases.

As for the Konami Hyper Boy -- yeah, that thing is not rare, like, at all. I see tons of them everywhere... So goofy. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there are less and less retro game shops here nowadays... I remember just a few years ago there were many, many more. Prices on a lot of items are dirt cheap for the most part, though. Occasionally you will come across expensive things but rarely do prices escalate beyond the original MSRP.

At least that's what I find, though I only concentrate on Gameboy and SNES stuff, and sometimes PS1. A lot of these games may have depreciated due to Virtual Console etc. downloadable re-releases.

As for the Konami Hyper Boy -- yeah, that thing is not rare, like, at all. I see tons of them everywhere... So goofy. :p

Not bad. I still want to get an NEC PC-FX and a Supergrafx. Some day. Too many things to buy. Nowhere near enough money.

One of these days I should pull my Atari 5200 and TurboGrafx out of hiding and play with the kids.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It's bordering on retro this day and age. Syphon Filter 2 still stands out pretty strong in my mind from the Playstation days. One of the toughest parts was mission 2. Despite having an emphasis on action, the stealth missions in this game were often much harder than MGS.

Edited by Shadow

Guest davidwhangchoi

Retro Gaming Strikes Back. Here are some custom covers I've made recently,

those are cool covers... i love the pic of the Vic Viper and salamander memories... the debut of Lord(Road) British

Yes, this reminds me I'm going to be making a post/blog soon covering the evolution of classic 2D mecha shooters. Here's the list so far.

Thexder series(various)

Metal Mech(NES)

Metal Storm(NES)

Assault Suits Leynos/Target Earth(Sega)

Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator(SNES)

Final Zone(Sega)

Ranger X/EX-Ranza(Sega)

Metal Warriors(SNES)

Xardion(SNES)

Front Mission GunHazard(SNES import)

Hyper Dyne Sidearms(various)

Battletech/Mechwarrior 3050(Sega/SNES)

Leynos 2(Saturn)

Anything I'm missing or overlooking? Let me know! Also anybody who is good wth shapeways want to d a Metal Warriors Nitro let me know and I'll help back t :)

Yes, this reminds me I'm going to be making a post/blog soon covering the evolution of classic 2D mecha shooters. Here's the list so far.

Thexder series(various)

Metal Mech(NES)

Metal Storm(NES)

Final Zone(Sega)

Ranger X/EX-Ranza(Sega)

Metal Warriors(SNES)

Xardion(SNES)

Leynos 2(Saturn)

Anything I'm missing or overlooking? Let me know! Also anybody who is good wth shapeways want to d a Metal Warriors Nitro let me know and I'll help back t :)

Sega's Megadrive/ Genesis ARROW FLASH.

Rastan Saga!

That brings back such memories. Also, Golden Axe...

Thanks, more to come.

Guest davidwhangchoi

turbo graphix 16 had so much potential. too bad nintendo and sega had all the rights to the games that were on pc engine.

splatterhouse was awesome on tgx16.

i remember beating salamander in the arcades with one quarter. one arcade had an illegal import of salamander and ikari warriors (which had nazi swastikas engraved on the tanks)

i just remember the difference between the two was the audio salamander would say: "pick it up for rippled laser" and salamander it would say "rippled laser"

i like the sound of "rippled laser" better. but i loved the "pick it up for...." soundbite exclusively in lifeforce salamander.

the last thing i want to comment on, if anyone played either version in the arcades, i thought it was strange that your forcefield would shrink everytime you picked up a weapon or upgrade.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Thexder series(various)

Metal Mech(NES)

Metal Storm(NES)

Final Zone(Sega)

Ranger X/EX-Ranza(Sega)

Metal Warriors(SNES)

Xardion(SNES)

Leynos 2(Saturn)

Complie's MUSHA & Robo Aleste

Vasteel has some shooting action too, but it was primarily a strategy game.

Ooh, and Baldr Bullet

Rohga Armor Force/Wolf Fang

Cybattler

Spriggan Powered

Bangaioh

Strania

Bari-Arm / Android Assault

Devastator

Transbot

Formation Z/Aerobot (I had to reach down deep in the memory banks for the last two)

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

Black Valkyrie and Vampire Hunter D thanks for the help with the many good suggestions! Doing some research I also came upon a couple of games I feel kinda dumb for forgetting about.... BattleClash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge for the SNES superscope. I never owned a superscope, but those that did always said these were the two games to get.

As I looked up those two I actually came across a game called Death Duel for the Sega Genesis that seems to be a poor man's version of those games. In it you pilot a mecha in a pseudo first person view against things like monsters, aliens, and other mecha and use a targeting cursor to blow off weapons, body parts, or kill the pilots. Its actually rather bloody for a game from back then.

Do you guys remember another game from the SNES days called Vortex? It had the same FX chip StarFox did and featured a red transforming mecha.

Okay final question what mecha game was the first ever made? It appears Thexder from 1985 might be the first run 'n gun platformer, but Formation Z/Aerobot might be the first ever mecha game(and first transforming one) with its 1984 release date.

Okay final question what mecha game was the first ever made? It appears Thexder from 1985 might be the first run 'n gun platformer, but Formation Z/Aerobot might be the first ever mecha game(and first transforming one) with its 1984 release date.

My guess would be the arcade version of this:

Berzerk_zps016e23bc.jpg

Gotta love 2600 box art!

I don't think Berzerk counts as the player is just a human and not piloting a mecha even if it may be the first to feature robot enemies. According to wikipedia this entry from 1983 is the earliest game to feature a piloted mecha:

Edit: Yeah 2600 artwork was awesome, even if most of the time it really had nothing to do with the actual game. Berzerk being the rare exception. :)

Edited by renegadeleader1