THOR - The Movie

EXO

Yeah, I agree. Didn't really care for the movie either, after some of the images that were shown, and still think the costumes look......fake/silly (if that makes any sense) But the Trailer does look pretty good and I'm now mildly interested. I admit, I know nothing about Thor so I can't judge accuracy or anything.

Chris

I agree with Dobber and Mr March; the heavy story elements in the trailer could be a good sign but the costumes break the magic. Imagine Iron-Man 1 but with plasticky spandex :wacko:

They do look better in motion though.

The trailer was decent but Asgard was too clean and pristine for my taste. I mean where was the fur and the funky norse armor.They are Vikings not the knights of the table round. All you have to do is watch the movies the Vikings or Hammer's The Viking Queen for a reference. I don't think they paid a lot of attention to Jack Kirby's art. Though the Destroyer stole the show for me.

Might be a fun movie but I think the idea of Thor is stupid. The Marvel Movie Universe is one that is set in our times or the near future. Spiderman, X-men, Hulk and Iron Man are based on quasi science. Super Heroes are either genetic mutants or sat on a radioactive toilet. Thor is Viking from a magical land. When I watched the Iron Man movies it didn't give me a feeling that this is magical world. With Thor it is now. You can still have Thor movie but set in its own Universe. Of course they need the Avengers so we a get a Captain America and Thor Movie.

I liked very very much the trailer. Magic it's OK for me, In fact I hope to see a Dr. Strange Movie... It would be truly awesome! ohmy.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Might as well throw up this Super Bowl trailer too, but I doubt anyone cares...

<div><object width="576" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param'>http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="vid=24097051&"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed width="576" height="324" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="vid=24097051&"></embed></object></div>

Thor is a hard sell for Marvel. Outside of the comic reading fanboys, he's not a household name. So, I had some doubts about this IP. But looks like they are pulling it off. Getting some decent names and talent has helped. My wife even wants to see this one (but not Captain America).

Good Ad Campaigns. This is a great TV spot.

Might be a fun movie but I think the idea of Thor is stupid. The Marvel Movie Universe is one that is set in our times or the near future. Spiderman, X-men, Hulk and Iron Man are based on quasi science. Super Heroes are either genetic mutants or sat on a radioactive toilet. Thor is Viking from a magical land. When I watched the Iron Man movies it didn't give me a feeling that this is magical world. With Thor it is now. You can still have Thor movie but set in its own Universe. Of course they need the Avengers so we a get a Captain America and Thor Movie.

I'm a Marvel fan, so I'm planning on seeing both Thor and Captain America. Both the trailers looked fine to me. But I kinda see your point. The idea of Thor being both the Norse god and the superhero identity of Donald Blake was kind of cheesy (and I think they did away with it, at least for awhile). I preferred him in the Ultimates, where his powers seemed to be technological and people thought he was loony for claiming to be the God of Thunder and the son of Odin... until it turned out at the end of Ultimates 2 that he really was.

Oh wow I'm so happy for Richard Greico finally getting work. After his canceled t.v. shows Booker, Marker-I thought he would've offed himself by now...

I'm not commenting on the movie itself but the idea that magic and science can't exist in the same comic book world is inconsequential. In the real world, I think that the further we advance in science the closer we get to a magical way of life. But in comic books we accept things that are scientifically impossible, such as a man from another planet that feeds off the yellow sunlight, thus giving him the power to fly, heat and x-ray vision and supernatural strength. We accept that Spider-Man gets bitten by a radio active spider, not only can swing around buildings but can produce a web powerful enough to support him (biologically or not) and still be biodegradable within minutes of him letting go. These things, within the comic book world is considered science because the back story is rooted that way.

The idea of Thor and magic itself can be stretched to believability if you look into the quantum physic's string theory where there is thought that it is possible that there are 10 dimensions within reality. The idea is that the 4 forces of nature can only be mathematically worked out if gravity is stretched across 10 dimensions. Gravity is the weakest of the 4 forces within our reality yet a centripetal force such as the sun or a nucleus can bind it self to something that is seperated by unimaginative distances such as outer planets or protons/electrons. That in itself is magic. Now if you imagine that Valhalla and Asgard exist in one of these planes then you can actually see how Thor can come into play in the Marvel Universe.

But the real magic here, I believe, is that the movie will be at best mediocre and everyone else thinks it's gonna rock. :D

I like this new trailer. Quite keen to see this now. And like Agent One I'm glad the hero looks the part. In fact the Australian actor bulked up big time for this particular role - a big commitment to change your body like that, you really have to change your life dramatically, it's not just a 'gimmick'. Remember, this was the same actor who played Jim Kirk's father in Star Trek only a couple of years ago. Christian Bale has some interesting things to say on the subject of altering your body dramatically for your art.