New Manga based on Sheryl to come out

Jasonc

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-28/macross-frontier-movie-launches-shojo-manga-series

Taken from the ANN website

Shōjo manga creator Kariko Koyama has launched Sheryl ~Kiss in the Galaxy~, a series based on last year's Macross Frontier ~Itsuwari no Utahime~ film, in the July issue of Kodansha's Bessatsu Friend magazine on Friday. Shoji Kawamori, the creator of the Macross science-fiction romance franchise and the director of the Macross Frontier movie, is collaborating on the manga's original story. The first manga installment covers the early years of the idol singer character Sheryl Nome in vocal school — a storyline not seen in the animation thus far.

This should be quite interesting. I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I'm posting this here. This may be an interesting story for those interested in the Sheryl character.

having sheryl's face everywhere isnt enough lol she needs a manga series too...sigh,I dont think Sheryl is that great a character to warrant a spin-off series that focus's on her,I think Mac-F material has bled over to much that it shadows the previous series which is a shame.

having sheryl's face everywhere isnt enough lol she needs a manga series too...sigh,I dont think Sheryl is that great a character to warrant a spin-off series that focus's on her,I think Mac-F material has bled over to much that it shadows the previous series which is a shame.

Well...Ranka already has TWO series (admittedly, only one of them is still continuing as of now), so it's probably time for Sheryl to get one as well.

And yes...there are WAY more comics for Macross F than there have been for any other Macross series, but so what? Macross F is what's big now, strike while the iron is hot, blah blah blah.

If it hadn't been for Macross F, we wouldn't have gotten Macross Ace magazine, or Macross Chronicle, or the new Fire Bomber album, reissues of nearly all the previous soundtracks, or Macross Ace Frontier and Macross Ultimate Frontier. Yes, Frontier is the spearhead of the merchandise, but more material for the older shows IS coming out, and coming out a higher volume than it has at any time in recent memory. So pick what you like and ignore the rest. :)

Let me guess. The story deals with Sheryl visiting an S&M shop the first time in order to define her own fashion style. Rest of the manga has Sheryl weeping naked in the shower. Cause she thinks she'll never make it as a real singer. When you're feeling blue it is always good time to be nude. At night when Sheryl is asleep Grace comes in her room. Not to climb in bed with her. No Grace just strokes her on the top of the head as she sleeps really creepy like.

Let me guess. The story deals with Sheryl visiting an S&M shop the first time in order to define her own fashion style. Rest of the manga has Sheryl weeping naked in the shower. Cause she thinks she'll never make it as a real singer. When you're feeling blue it is always good time to be nude. At night when Sheryl is asleep Grace comes in her room. Not to climb in bed with her. No Grace just strokes her on the top of the head as she sleeps really creepy like.

It's a girls' comic, Roy... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm not gonna be looking for this or pick it up, but it is interesting to see that this series and the franchise has enough momentum to actually come out with something that would only interest a lot less fans of the series. If anyone sees this in the near future, and can figure out if there's any decent plot to it, please let us know. Maybe there is some "Saving Grace" (pun intended) to it.

:rolleyes: I think we will never be able to get over Episode 8 from Macross F, right? even if Yoshino said himself that he asked for permission to do that kind of episode to kawamori because he likes that stuff (i think it is from one of the Blu-ray booklets or a magazine).

Anyway here's some information about the manga that was translated from a chinese page, taken from here: Macross F livejournal Community

A manga with Sheryl as the main character, it's official title being 「Sheryl~Kiss in the Galaxy~」. There'll be 60 pages for the first chapter, then increased to 80 in the next.

Sheryl's family members are all beautiful people, like models.

Her mother is called Sally Nome, and her father, Abel Kour (tentative romanization).

There'll be an original character named Lilith who resembles Alto-hime. Therefore, it is said that she is the female version of Alto.

A lot of the readers from Area 11 thinks that this female version of Alto has a personality like Sheryl, and is very conspicuous in the manga. Although she died at a young age, she was very manly. Instead, the Sheryl back then was a shy, cute person with a personality which reminds one of Ranka's, but not to the point where she only thinks of herself.

The two of them (Sheryl & Lilith) went to see a kabuki performance starring Yasabura. In reality, Lilith's family views the Saotome family as enemiesm so there are all sorts of......( Some say that Alto & Lilith's mothers were sisters, some say that Lilith's father used to be in love with Alto's mother..but anyway, there is no love lost between the two families)

Sheryl gave the earring to Lilith, and through that earring, she can feel Lilith's emotions/thoughts and finds out that Lilith is in love with a senpai

To protect Sheryl, The femaly version of Alto - Lilith died in a fire. In the last scene, Sheryl's expression was one like the one we see now.

Although the drama CD and novels clearly said that Sheryl's parents were assassinated for opposing the impant, at that time the Boat G-Group's impantation technology was at its initial stage of development. But in the manga, it was said that the assassination attempt was directed at Sheryl.

The Sheryl who was drifting in the streets seemed to be violated by a bald man (it is suspected that after her parents were murdered, Sheryl was left to wander on the streets).

Sheryl never went to music school or school.

The supervisor of the Macross Frontier ~Itsuwari no Utahime~ film made it clear that Alto experienced the power of the gemstone to convery thoughts earlier than Sheryl did

But Sheryl received thoughts from Lilith and was able to respond

(...) something that would only interest a lot less fans of the series.

Uhm, and what information do you have on who exactly the fans are of the series? Sure, oversees, it's mostly composed of 16 to 30 year old males. But that's not the primary audience.

Another way to look at it is: which episodes had the least viewers during the original run? Answer: the one's with the most combat and least character interaction. From that information alone, it's safe to say that the manga IS aimed at the primary audience of the series.

Uhm, and what information do you have on who exactly the fans are of the series? Sure, oversees, it's mostly composed of 16 to 30 year old males. But that's not the primary audience.

Another way to look at it is: which episodes had the least viewers during the original run? Answer: the one's with the most combat and least character interaction. From that information alone, it's safe to say that the manga IS aimed at the primary audience of the series.

Based on where the series is going to be published, it doesn't seem like this is going to be something for all Frontier fans, or at least not aimed for all of them. I guess you could say that about most of the products, as I don't think the DX Chogokins are made for all the fans either, but there you go.

This should be quite interesting. I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I'm posting this here. This may be an interesting story for those interested in the Sheryl character.

Sounds interesting... didn't like Sheryl very much during the first few episodes, but she really grew on me later in the series. I'll probably pick up the collected edition of the manga when it comes out. I was hoping they'd get around to expanding on Sheryl's history, didn't expect they'd actually do it, so I'm kind of looking forward to this.

Is there some Pacific-Island custom or something of taking a maternal last name? (Pardon me if I sound like a chauvinist pig :p) Presumably Mao would have married, and thus both Sally and Sheryl would carry a different family name? ... Or was Sally conceived through the force like Darth Vader?

Edit: Sally Nome resembles Rinoa from FF8 a lot! My first 2D-crush...

Edited by Ghost Train

Is there some Pacific-Island custom or something of taking a maternal last name? (Pardon me if I sound like a chauvinist pig :p) Presumably Mao would have married, and thus both Sally and Sheryl would carry a different family name? ... Or was Sally conceived through the force like Darth Vader?

Edit: Sally Nome resembles Rinoa from FF8 a lot! My first 2D-crush...

Maybe she did have her husband's last name before she found out he was a scumbag, divorced him, and took her maiden name back. If not for some interesting story, perhaps it's just that the creators wanted to pull character identification, so that we'd know who she is, where she came from.

T T

劇場版マクロスFに連なる設定の漫画「シェリル キス・イン・ザ・ギャラクシー」では両親の名前がアベル・クーロ、サリー・ノームであることが明かされている。これによるとシェリルの2028年11月23日の誕生日に母親からノーム家に伝わる「想いを伝える石」の入ったイヤリングを貰ったとされている。両親はマクロス・ギャラクシーのインプラント義務化に反対していたため破壊活動防止法および内乱罪で連行されそうになったところ抵抗したため射殺された。両親を失い孤児となったシェリルは数ヶ月間スラムで暮らす。その後、芸能プロダクションのマネージャーを名乗る女性グレイス・オコナーに引き取られる。それから3年後、グレイスの手引きによって声楽学校「エラトー音楽学院」に入学する。

アベル・クーロ,Abel Curro

サリー・ノーム,Sally Nome