Commence Operation Stargazer!

Kelsain

Hi guys!

As I'd mentioned in a couple other threads, I was inspired by Captain America's 1/5000 Salan Scout. I thought it might be fun to mess around in that scale, as I'd never scratch-built before. After receiving my materials the other day, I got to work!

First, I drew schematics in Illustrator, then applied them to 1mm styrene. I cut them out and pieced them together. (forgot to photo this step)

Mixed up a small pellet of Aves and filled in the basic shapes.

She's curing now, I'll probably try to do a little refining of the shape this evening.

If this works out well, I'll probably try to mold this, they do travel in packs...

post-2681-127489919255_thumb.jpg

post-2681-127489921028_thumb.jpg

post-2681-12748992586_thumb.jpg

post-2681-127489932009_thumb.jpg

nice!!!

at last M7 ships!!!

please make the models for sale!!!, I wonder if you could make more M7 ships, like ...BATTLE 7 In cruser mode

Which is ultimately why I chose this scale. 30cm isn't nearly as daunting as 60cm. I'm working my way up though, trying not to look too far past the Northampton.

I had a chance to smooth out some of the surfaces this weekend, while I'm outta town. The tricky parts that I'm dealing with now are the engine ports, wehre there're some weird compound facets. Without glue (which is back in PA) I can't go much further. Pics to be posted upon my return home.

Edited by Kelsain

I had a chance to smooth out some of the surfaces this weekend, while I'm outta town. The tricky parts that I'm dealing with now are the engine ports, wehre there're some weird compound facets. Without glue (which is back in PA) I can't go much further. Pics to be posted upon my return home.

Say if you need more ship reference my Macross reference collection thread has a lot of Lineart on that ship check it out. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33264 check the macross plus section for the ship sorry it's so disorganized trying to make it more accessible.

Well, I finally have those updated photos. Watching "Deathmatch on Planet Lux" today, there's a good dorsal shot of the Northampton as the fleet is forced onto the planet. Looks like I may need to make the ass a little fatter. I took off the aft ventral fin, it was in the way and off center, so I'll have to fashion a new one later. The forward hull is smoothing out nicely. I've also beveled the conning town and main ventral fin. Now that I have access to glue again, I'll try the engine ports this week.

post-2681-127751992687_thumb.jpg

post-2681-127752007693_thumb.jpg

Well, I finally have those updated photos. Watching "Deathmatch on Planet Lux" today, there's a good dorsal shot of the Northampton as the fleet is forced onto the planet. Looks like I may need to make the ass a little fatter. I took off the aft ventral fin, it was in the way and off center, so I'll have to fashion a new one later. The forward hull is smoothing out nicely. I've also beveled the conning town and main ventral fin. Now that I have access to glue again, I'll try the engine ports this week.

How will you get the surface to become smooth and detailed. I've used milliput fine and gottem nice results for the surface of ceramics and plastic.

How will you get the surface to become smooth and detailed. I've used milliput fine and gottem nice results for the surface of ceramics and plastic.

I've been sanding down the epoxy to get the shapes right. The front section is actually pretty smooth and angled now. As for detail, once the shapes are in place, I'll start scribing lines, adding bumps etc. The fins on the conning tower will be made with .5mm styrene. Obviously, at this scale a lot of the finer elements will be lost.