Which Yamato 1/60 VF-1 to Buy First?

Old Man

I've already picked up every 1/48 VF-1 that I want (since I started 6 years ago), and I've decided to bite the bullet and start a 1/60 Valkyrie collection. I've heard many good things about the version 2 1/60's, and I'm finally admitting that it's the new standard, and if I want a more complete collection I need to start collecting the 1/60's. Which one should I pick up first? I'm planning on eventually getting most of the variants, so which ones are going to be harder to find down the road? Also, which variants should I avoid (for durability issues such as the weak shoulders)? Any insight or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I've already picked up every 1/48 VF-1 that I want (since I started 6 years ago), and I've decided to bite the bullet and start a 1/60 Valkyrie collection. I've heard many good things about the version 2 1/60's, and I'm finally admitting that it's the new standard, and if I want a more complete collection I need to start collecting the 1/60's. Which one should I pick up first? I'm planning on eventually getting most of the variants, so which ones are going to be harder to find down the road? Also, which variants should I avoid (for durability issues such as the weak shoulders)? Any insight or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.anymoon.com/blog/

has a decent summary of the shoulder issue. Fwiw I have 3 with the bad shoulders but haven't had issues yet but I'm glad there is a fix available should they go bad. Which valk to buy first? Hlj lists the max and millia super valks as discontinued at the moment so perhaps there isn't another planned run anyttime soon? If I were you I'd either pick those up or preorder a tv Roy, and armored rerelease hikaru to get started. I already have a small squadron of valks but have those 2 on preorder too.

http://www.anymoon.com/blog/

has a decent summary of the shoulder issue. Fwiw I have 3 with the bad shoulders but haven't had issues yet but I'm glad there is a fix available should they go bad. Which valk to buy first? Hlj lists the max and millia super valks as discontinued at the moment so perhaps there isn't another planned run anyttime soon? If I were you I'd either pick those up or preorder a tv Roy, and armored rerelease hikaru to get started. I already have a small squadron of valks but have those 2 on preorder too.

When it comes to VF-1, you will always start with

VE-1/VT-1

Max and Millia

VF-1D

GBP-1S Armors

Vermillion Squadron

VF-1S

Get Hikaru's DYRL? VF-1S Strike first (the aniversary reissue with flashlight has the corrected shoulders)!!!

I would then get Roy's VF-1S Low Viz (it's getting harder to find, it's sold out at many places).

If money is not an issue, get them all :lol:

I would get the hardest to come by ones first....as long as they have great shoulders.

Maybe start with tv kakizaki. Or Max/Milia 1J

Don't bother with a dyrl roy or a 1J hikaru until you're certain the shoulders will hold.

When it comes to VF-1, you will always start with

VE-1/VT-1

Max and Millia

VF-1D

GBP-1S Armors

Vermillion Squadron

VF-1S

I have to agree there, Vi-RS has all the bases covered. Pondo is spot on as well - TV kakizaki is really becoming difficult to find.

You are going to love the 1/60's - enjoy!!

isn't the ve-1 hardet to find these days?

I say get the one most iconic to you.

Oh doesn't matter, you'll get vf-1 fever anyway :D

It's too late, I've had the fever for a while now. I've done some research and it looks like the VF-1A Max and Kakizaki Type TV Versions are the hardest to come by. I'm also really anxious to get a Vermillion Squadron together, and I'm not a huge fan of the DYRL Valkyries. How much is too much to pay for these versions?

It's too late, I've had the fever for a while now. I've done some research and it looks like the VF-1A Max and Kakizaki Type TV Versions are the hardest to come by. I'm also really anxious to get a Vermillion Squadron together, and I'm not a huge fan of the DYRL Valkyries. How much is too much to pay for these versions?

Vermillion squadron is a good starting point and they look great when you have them set up together.

As for the price, well I waited too long for the Kakizaki and as a result I paid a slight premium at $120 shipped with a set of TV super parts. The max has been on sale at several key sellers like HLJ and Amiami. I think you can afford to shop around for the Max but when you see a Kakizaki I would jump on it.

My only suggestion is don't hold out chasing a deal because you may miss out on your Vermillion squad. The 1/60 V2's can generally be bought for between 80-100 US not including shipping.

If you time it right - when there is a sale you can score a real bargin. Even some of the free shipping deals can ease the pain. Having said that some of the sellers are listing TV Kakizaki as discontiuned so the price will no doubt start jumping as people chase it.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy them.

Just received my first Valkyrie other than the Bandai "Chunky Monkey" cannon fodder 1A I spotted and immediately got in 2004. It's a Max VF-1A TV version. I got it from OverDrive, which has them in stock for $82. It was kinda tough to find that one.

Too bad I won't be opening it for a week and a half. Made a promise to myself it'd wait till I'd finished some needed house cleaning and work. :) Incentive!

Just received my first Valkyrie other than the Bandai "Chunky Monkey" cannon fodder 1A I spotted and immediately got in 2004. It's a Max VF-1A TV version. I got it from OverDrive, which has them in stock for $82. It was kinda tough to find that one.

Too bad I won't be opening it for a week and a half. Made a promise to myself it'd wait till I'd finished some needed house cleaning and work. :) Incentive!

Dude, you just saved me almost $50! Before I used your link I was searching on OverDrive, but it said the Max TV Version was sold out. I almost paid a hefty premium (and shipping cost) on eBay. Unfortunately, I had to pay the premium for the last Kakizaki TV Version I could find anywhere (on eBay). Oh well, I can't wait to see these 1/60s for the first time.

Dude, you just saved me almost $50! Before I used your link I was searching on OverDrive, but it said the Max TV Version was sold out. I almost paid a hefty premium (and shipping cost) on eBay. Unfortunately, I had to pay the premium for the last Kakizaki TV Version I could find anywhere (on eBay). Oh well, I can't wait to see these 1/60s for the first time.

Glad I could help! :)

yeah VF-1D... definitely iconic... will go perfectly w/ the upcoming 1S Roy TV ver.

i finally had time to clean my valks and i decided to play around/transform my VF-1D... it's just awesome to own a v.2 ver. of it. I'd definitely buy a 2nd one if Yamato decides to re-issue it w/ the shoulder and crotch upgrades. ^_^

EDIT - i saw some on ebay and amazon... not sure if you'd consider the prices "fair"...

Edited by m0n5t3r

I can't recommned the VE-1 (Elint) enough. It's very cool. After that I would say get one of the VF-1Ds and/or the VT-1. Once you have those get the low Vis (or any VF-1S) and add a strike package to it (or get one that comes with the strike package). IMO the strike package is cooler than the super parts.

Finally if you are happy with what you have and have some cash left get a whatever valk that you want and buy the armored parts for it.

FYI you can still buy a VF-1D Virgin Road and VT-1 at Overdrive and they are one sale as well.

Edited by logos

Aren't all the VT-1's out there with the knurled pins and thus at risk of the exploding shoulder syndrome or did Yamato go back and fix later batches after they found out? I was considering getting the VT-1 the other day since the price at overdrive was pretty good, but I was afraid I would end up with one with bad shoulders if they all have the knurled pins.