Robot Tamashii

Yes, I know the first (and most obvious) answer everyone would give is that Revoltechs have their patented Revolver joints. I know this...as I own a few of them. I'm asking what the differences are between the Revoltechs and Robot Tamashii figures in terms of posability, overall sculpt accuracy, etc. I'll back up a bit and explain why...

Recently, I started watching Full Metal Panic! and absolutely loved the mecha designs because they were very similar to designs used in "Mekton Zeta," an old RPG I played when I was younger. When I saw that Revoltech had both the ARX-7 Arbalest and the ARX-8 Laevatein, I ordered them both from HLJ. The figures are ridiculously posable, as any Revoltech would be. But the sculpting seems a little "off." One leg of the ARX-8 doesn't seem to align with the other leg, and the mecha's faceplate appears slightly deformed. Also, parts of the figures have sloppy paint jobs, even to the point of looking like they were hand-painted in places. Still, I like the designs and the half-ton of extras that came with them, so I can't complain too much...

But a few days ago, I was browsing Hobby Search's website and came across the Robot Tamashii versions of the ARX-7 and the M9 Gernsbeck. The sculpts looked amazing, and they seemed damn-near as posable as the Revoltech versions. The sculpts look like they were done in CAD instead of hand-sculpted. I couldn't resist, so I ordered both of these figures. Are Robot Tamashii figures basically non-Gundam MSiA-style figures? The reason I ask is because the ARX-7 appears to use the same elbow joints as several of my MSiA figures. And since both lines (RT and MSiA) are made by Bandai, it would seem logical. If I'm completely off base with my assessment, please correct me.

post-8356-127475475211_thumb.jpg

http://anymoon.com/blog/2010/04/06/bandai-robot-spirits-super-vf-25f-alto-custom/

http://anymoon.com/blog/2010/03/23/bandai-robot-spirits-queadluun-rare/

the RD VF-25's and Q-rea are pretty representative of all RD's. they're similar size to MSiA but are CAD designed and made of ABS and not the crappy PVC the MSiA's where.

so, more like the Yamato GN-u than the Revoltechs.

I've got the Robot Tamashii Arbalest, both versions of the M9 and also a tan Savage and they are great figures. CAD scuplted, ABS plastic and very poseable. Far superior to Revoltechs IMO. But then, I'm a known Revoltech hater.

Graham

Robot Damashii figures still have some pvc in their construction. They are advertised to be constrcuted from PC, ABS, POM, PVC etc.. From in hand experience with some of the UC Gundam figures I'd have to say it feels like mostly ABS construction but maybe I'm wrong?

Revoltech figures are great for wide legged stances or poses but not so great for anything else IMO. This is where the RDs come in (also with better construction IMO, which you pay for).

If you're going to get some you better hurry because I think preorders for the Tamashii exclusive sets are just about over, or are they over already?

Far far far far far better than the Revoltechs. Think MSIA but with significantly better materials and construction, also bigger.

Revoltechs are primarily PVC and usually have pretty bad paint application. RDs are ABS and POM with only a tiny bit of PVC, the accessories are usually ABS and the paint applications are significantly better.

I don't think I can generalize either line enough to say one is better than the other considering both have such a wide variety. For example: It's inaccurate to say that Revoltech is a PVC line because not all of them are constructed of PVC. A lot of them are but several are made of hard plastic (nor sure if it is ABS or not). Professor Layton, Gloomy Bear, Suzuki and Tetsujin 28 are few examples of ones I own that are not the typical 'gummy' PVC. It's also interesting to note that the Revos made of hard plastic tend to have much better QC and paint applications than the PVC ones. Perhaps PVC just lends itself better to slop.

While I tend to favor Robot Damashii's construction, articulation and overall finish - Revoltech tends to have more characters that interest me. Ultimitely I'm pretty happy with both lines and don't feel a need to champion one over the other in the general sense. Comparing two figures of the same character makes sense (such as the previously mentioned FMP figures) but not each line as a whole.

Edited by eriku

I don't think I can generalize either line enough to say one is better than the other considering both have such a wide variety. For example: It's inaccurate to say that Revoltech is a PVC line because not all of them are constructed of PVC. A lot of them are but several are made of hard plastic (nor sure if it is ABS or not). Professor Layton, Gloomy Bear, Suzuki and Tetsujin 28 are few examples of ones I own that are not the typical 'gummy' PVC. It's also interesting to note that the Revos made of hard plastic tend to have much better QC and paint applications than the PVC ones. Perhaps PVC just lends itself better to slop.

While I tend to favor Robot Damashii's construction, articulation and overall finish - Revoltech tends to have more characters that interest me. Ultimitely I'm pretty happy with both lines and don't feel a need to champion one over the other in the general sense. Comparing two figures of the same character makes sense (such as the previously mentioned FMP figures) but not each line as a whole.

I haven't had many Revoltechs, I admit, but I've been disappointed with every one I've had. On the other hand, I've been nothing but impressed with all my Robot Damashiis. Revoltech covers a lot of characters and many aren't available via any other form, but in direct comparison (such as the Revoltech Ingram vs. a CMs Brave Chogokin Ingram), the Revoltech loses in just about every aspect other than straight posability.

Your mileage may vary, I suppose, but considering the RDs aren't *that* much more expensive than the Revoltechs, give me a RD any day.

Edited by Vostok 7

I agree to an extent- if my only experience with Revoltech was the PVC figures I have, such as the original EVA01, I wouldn't have much interest in the line. Luckily figures like that don't represent the line as a whole.

R:D has it's ups (FMP Savage) and downs (Nirvash) as well.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, guys. My M9 shipped yesterday and is already in New York, so it should reach Maryland sometime tonight. My Arbalest shipped today and should be here sometime before Friday (hopefully). I'm afraid I may have stumbled upon another potential treasure trove of affordable collectibles with RT...much to my wife's chagrin! biggrin.gif

I've got the Robot Tamashii Arbalest, both versions of the M9 and also a tan Savage and they are great figures. CAD scuplted, ABS plastic and very poseable. Far superior to Revoltechs IMO. But then, I'm a known Revoltech hater.

Graham

You are not the only, I too dislike the Revos, gave the old ones away. Right now I have only Grendizer now, hoping for a SRC version to be announced. For the me the EMSIA and the RD are the best robot action figure lines.

I officially denounce Revoltechs (except the Queen's Blade figureswink.gif)!

Got my hands on the M9 Gernsback today and it honestly puts any of my MSiAs and Revs to shame. You all were right. The plastics used in this figure are much better than the PVC that MSiA Gundams are made of, and capture detail much better. There isn't a single amount of "gumminess" to the figure whatsoever. The M9 doesn't just use ball-joints, but a combination of hinges, ball-joints and old-school style elbow and knee joints. While this sounds like an odd thing for Bandai to do, it actually lends to the mecha's "mechanical" detail while still allowing an amazing amount of posability, especially around the mecha's waist, which is usually where most humanoid mecha figures have limited posability because of some sort of armored skirting. I've been able to put the M9 in many poses that the Revoltech ARX-7 can do with no problems...even the wide-legged hero stances.

The paint scheme of the M9 is predominantly matte gray with a few bits of black, white, and dull yellow...but its supposed to be FMP's answer to a cannon fodder/low-vis VF-1A (for lack of a better comparison), so no flashy hero color scheme is needed. It's a grunt unit, plain and simple. But what IS painted is done so with sharp, clean lines and just puts the Revoltech Arbalest to shame in this area. The M9 comes with quite a few accessories, like the Revoltechs did. 4 sets of interchangable ball-jointed hands, a rear-mounted rifle rack, an assault rifle with a power cable that attaches to the mecha's hip (similar to the Gundam GM Sniper's rifle), and a collapsible sniper rifle and a large cargo box for storing the sniper rifle. The cargo box can be opened/closed and can attach to the M9's left or right hip to carry into battle.

While I wasn't planning to turn this into a review, I am just amazed at the quality of this figure. If this much effort was put into a cannon-fodder figure, I can imagine that the Arbalest had just as much, if not more effort put into its design, since it's FMP's hero mecha. Kudos, Bandai. I'm officially a fan of Robot Tamashii...

Of course, I'm sure (as someone said) QC issues also plague RT, depending on the particular figure you're talking about...but fortunately, I've had a good first impression with the FMP figures.

Robot Damashii and Revoltech have key differences:

• Revoltech is primarily PVC construction; Robot Damashii has a mix of ABS, POM, and some PVC. The former is more prone to warping.
  • Robot Damashii is a figure that can maintain neutral stances yet retain full articulation. Revoltech is primarily for dynamic posing and for most, neutral stances cannot be achieved. As in straight posture, et al. I guess the easiest way to boil it down is that Revoltech lends itself to more exaggerated proportions, poses and stances more than Robot Damashii. Robot Damashii is like a basic all around action figure for collectors, while Revoltech is all about dynamic posing.
  • Robot Damashii tend to be taller than their Revoltech counterparts.
  • Robot Damashii uses regular joints while Revoltech uses a combination of mono-shaft joints combined with revolver joints.

Hope this helps.

I officially denounce Revoltechs (except the Queen's Blade figureswink.gif)!

Got my hands on the M9 Gernsback today and it honestly puts any of my MSiAs and Revs to shame. You all were right. The plastics used in this figure are much better than the PVC that MSiA Gundams are made of, and capture detail much better. There isn't a single amount of "gumminess" to the figure whatsoever. The M9 doesn't just use ball-joints, but a combination of hinges, ball-joints and old-school style elbow and knee joints. While this sounds like an odd thing for Bandai to do, it actually lends to the mecha's "mechanical" detail while still allowing an amazing amount of posability, especially around the mecha's waist, which is usually where most humanoid mecha figures have limited posability because of some sort of armored skirting. I've been able to put the M9 in many poses that the Revoltech ARX-7 can do with no problems...even the wide-legged hero stances.

The paint scheme of the M9 is predominantly matte gray with a few bits of black, white, and dull yellow...but its supposed to be FMP's answer to a cannon fodder/low-vis VF-1A (for lack of a better comparison), so no flashy hero color scheme is needed. It's a grunt unit, plain and simple. But what IS painted is done so with sharp, clean lines and just puts the Revoltech Arbalest to shame in this area. The M9 comes with quite a few accessories, like the Revoltechs did. 4 sets of interchangable ball-jointed hands, a rear-mounted rifle rack, an assault rifle with a power cable that attaches to the mecha's hip (similar to the Gundam GM Sniper's rifle), and a collapsible sniper rifle and a large cargo box for storing the sniper rifle. The cargo box can be opened/closed and can attach to the M9's left or right hip to carry into battle.

While I wasn't planning to turn this into a review, I am just amazed at the quality of this figure. If this much effort was put into a cannon-fodder figure, I can imagine that the Arbalest had just as much, if not more effort put into its design, since it's FMP's hero mecha. Kudos, Bandai. I'm officially a fan of Robot Tamashii...

Of course, I'm sure (as someone said) QC issues also plague RT, depending on the particular figure you're talking about...but fortunately, I've had a good first impression with the FMP figures.

Yep, I love my M9s and all my RDs. The Macross ones are pretty darned good, too, and the UC Gundam ones are shaping up very nicely.

Graham

What he said, except I dont hate Revoltech. But the Robot Spirits figures are a good size, sturdier, better poseability and have cooler gear.

The Arbalest came yesterday and I've been playing around with both it and the M9 a bit. Thus far, I'm so impressed with the RT line that I ordered the M9 Mao Custom from Hobby Search and a few mechanical chain bases from BBTS yesterday evening. There is one thing that maybe someone here on MW can help me out with. And if this post belongs in the Wanted thread, then so be it (mods, please move it accordingly). A second insert came with the M9's instruction sheet that shows a separate piece of equipment available from Tamashii Nation/Bandai. It's a torso-mounted rocket booster jetpack assembly (see below). Apparently it also includes a display base that doubles as a launch platform, according to the few photos I have of it. Anyone know how or where I could get ahold of one of these? Or is this a web exclusive type of thing? I haven't seen this offered on any of the site's I've visited that sell RT figures.

post-8356-127505366743_thumb.jpg

post-8356-127505366832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

It was an exclusive on which the ship has sailed. Try emailing Tokyohunter (http://tokyohunter.blogspot.com/) or someone like Save here on the boards who's good at tracking down stuff like that.

IIRC, they won't be that cheap.

I kind of figured that was the case, considering there was no indication anywhere online that this thing even existed for the FMP figures. I'll try your advice and see if Save can possibly track down a lead on one of these.

Yeah, that Arbalest in M9 colors looks pretty sweet. I also like the weapon set, as it lends to a lot of customizing. Alas, I'll just have to wait until October when all this stuff actually comes out to see if I can snag any of it. I'm not holding my breath though, since all of them are web exclusives inside Japan only...sad.gif

Edited by Cyclone Trooper