VF-22S Canopy Cover Project

PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Hey guys,

I've started this project a while back, but was unable to finish due to college. Since I'm done with college I've picked the project back up and made some progress on it. If the final version turns out well and depending on demand I may cast them (for a very reasonable price)...

The current wip version (shown) attaches to the canopy via friction and holds fairly well (upside down, side ways, and even through shaking).

Comments/feedback are welcome.

Max

post-4919-1274544020_thumb.jpg

post-4919-127454404061_thumb.jpg

post-4919-127454406691_thumb.jpg

post-4919-127454408567_thumb.jpg

post-4919-127454415567_thumb.gif

im in thats the detail that the vf 22s needs to be perfect :o

that canopy looks good and it's great to see you pushing ahead these projects can get a little discourging sometimes. I love it do you have a website to check out more of your work possible tutorial on the forums?

Edited by leading edge

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The project was put on a hiatus due to a extremely personal life altering issue (from the months of July-August) and I know this thread/topic is probably dead, but I'll still be looking/aiming to complete this project by the end of this month.

I've started the mold creation process this weekend and I probably won't be casting as many canopy covers as anticipated (I guess the production will be based off demand).

I'll keep you guys posted.

Hey everyone...

A possible ballpark range for the price of the canopies will be $8~10 (not final, I haven't included the man hours and all the expenses).

The actual colors for the canopies on the Yamato VF-22S M&M are more bluish while Gamlin's is more grey.

I almost have the color for Gamlin's canopy as a match, maybe just a tad lighter than what it should be. For some reason Yamato's coloring/paint for the canopy seems to have a hint of brown/tan in it? Whatever the case I don't think I'm going to throw brown/tan in it.

I'll have to cast up some canopies for M&M in the blue-ish grey for you all to see and I'll have pics of Gamlin's coming up real soon.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Okay here's a preview pic from my phones' crappy camera (I'll post some better ones later when my camera's battery recharges)...

So from left to right is Gamlin's CC, and the other three were tester's of possible color matching for M&M's CCs.

Gamlin's is grey resulting from just enough black to the mixture,

The 2nd is a mixture of Gamlin's with a light touch of blue (could substitute for Max, but that was before I realized M&M's canopy frame is royal blue),

The 3rd is a mixture with more blue,

The 4th is a mixture with equal amounts of purple and blue.

For the last two colors I attempted to achieve the Royal Blue that resembles the canopy frame on M&M's VF-22Ses without over saturating the mixture with color. The last one actually looks more purple in person.

Definitely more color testing for M&M's CCs are in the works, the unfortunate part is that it's set to rain in my area for this week (NYC) and moisture will definitely kill the casting process. Hopefully the rain will die down towards the end of this week.

post-4919-128563469888_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

It's been more than a good month since my last update. I've been busy casting...

post-4919-12882569331_thumb.jpgpost-4919-128825693979_thumb.jpgpost-4919-128825694692_thumb.jpgpost-4919-128825695371_thumb.jpg

I'll be making a separate thread in the sale section for the casts.

I didn't take a pic with my Max because he's still in the box, I only took a pic with Miria because she was already out of the box (still in the plastic tray. Plus... I was too lazy to transform her, lol).

I apologize for the horrible lighting.

Max