TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

3 minutes ago, Special Sauce said:

Awesome thanks vladykins and derex3592 !  I'm going to check it out.  Wow vladykins you started and didn't turn back LOL!  I'm looking into getting the Macross II valkyrie from that line.  I really love the design.

Excellent. Here is one at The Jungle for ¥ 8,250. Shipping is a bit of an extra cost due to Japane Post not being available, but if you look around you can usually grab a coupole things that make the DHL cost worth it.

https://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/products/detail/584147

On 3/12/2021 at 11:50 AM, vladykins said:

Excellent. Here is one at The Jungle for ¥ 8,250. Shipping is a bit of an extra cost due to Japane Post not being available, but if you look around you can usually grab a coupole things that make the DHL cost worth it.

https://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/products/detail/584147

Sweet! Thanks vladykins!  That's not a bad price at all.  I'll have to add that place to my list of toy shops.

Edited by Special Sauce

Ok, so I have a couple questions.  I haven't bought any Macross since Yamato was releasing their toy Valk's back in the early to mid 2000's.  You used to be able to buy stuff at quite a few US retailers but it seems like that isn't possible anymore.   What happened?  Is it some kind of recent legal thing?  Some of you guys like vladykins have been nice enough to point me in the direction of some international stores to get what I want which is great!  I was just wondering if something happened in recent years to keep US retailers from selling the products from Bandai's DX line or Acadia's?

Nevermind, it wasn't easy to find info. but I've found out why.   Sucks but I guess it is what it is

Edited by Special Sauce

On 3/12/2021 at 8:36 AM, Special Sauce said:

Hi, obviously new here.  What are some opinions on the Bandai Hi Metal R toys?  I'm just getting back into this and it's been a long time since I've bought anything Macross.  I used to collect the Yamato stuff but now I'm seriously out of the loop.  I've picked up a few of the Bandai DX chogokin toys and they're pretty sweet.  I was just thinking of getting into the Hi Metal series.

I've got a few of the Hi Metal R toys, but not many of the DX Chogokin (too hard for me to get at a reasonable price and the scalpers nip them all up :( ). I agree with Vladykins, the monster is pretty awesome in the Hi-Metal R! I was in the same boat for that on since the Monster is not made that often as a toy and did not regret getting it at all. Other than that I've gotten a few or the Arcadia releases but they are a bit pricey now compared to the old Yamatos, but I still have a few.

BTW, welcome back to Macross Special Sauce!

2 hours ago, vsim said:

I've got a few of the Hi Metal R toys, but not many of the DX Chogokin (too hard for me to get at a reasonable price and the scalpers nip them all up :( ). I agree with Vladykins, the monster is pretty awesome in the Hi-Metal R! I was in the same boat for that on since the Monster is not made that often as a toy and did not regret getting it at all. Other than that I've gotten a few or the Arcadia releases but they are a bit pricey now compared to the old Yamatos, but I still have a few.

BTW, welcome back to Macross Special Sauce!

Yeah those DX are expensive.  It's hard to collect them, especially with so many great designs.  I'm hoping to be able to at least get the ones that I really like.  I don't need to be a completist.  

Thanks for the welcome, feels good to be back into it. :)

What would be my options right now if i wanted to buy a stand for my VFs? I used in the past the flightpose stands and i thought they were great but now they seem to be sold out everywhere. I know there have been a lot of users buying yetistand but i am not familiar with them(and also took a quick look around on the web and couldn't find any). I would need something only for fighter mode. Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions on which kind of stands are available on the market and where to buy them? Thank you!

On 3/22/2021 at 7:19 PM, jenius said:

Calibre Wings makes a fancier version of the router style stand. I haven't bought one yet but looks good.

Thank you for your suggestion, i placed an order today for 3 stands. Will let you know once i get them!

On 3/21/2021 at 6:01 PM, Special Sauce said:

Yeah those DX are expensive.  It's hard to collect them, especially with so many great designs.  I'm hoping to be able to at least get the ones that I really like.  I don't need to be a completist.  

Thanks for the welcome, feels good to be back into it. :)

....I don't understand the phrase "I don't need to be a completist" ...What does that even mean! :D

:rolleyes:

• Shawn unpinned this topic

Hi everyone. A noob here, looking for recommendations for my first valkyrie purchase.

My first exposure to Macross was Robotech sometime in early to mid 90's. I've owned a junky KO Roy Focker 1/55 valk at that time. So, I've rewatched Macross again recently, proper Japanese version, then DYRL. Naturally, the nostalgia kicked in and I decided to get a proper VF-1S this time.

My first idea was to look for a legit 1/55, but to my disappointment, the latest rerelease was almost 20 years ago, so finding one unused at a reasonable price is out of the question. So, studying other options I've came up with this so far (big thanks to anymoon.com for the reviews):

Hi-Metal R: I've decided against it because my nostalgia is bound to a bigger toy. Furthermore, for the level of detail these toys have, the second hand market prices are too much.

Arcadia: would be ideal, but again, second hand prices are too much. For the same amount of money I can get a DX Chogokin one, which looks like a superior choice.

These option are the ones that I currently choosing between:

1) Pre-ordering KitzConcept VF-1S v2.
Pros:
Looks like KC valks have a good amount of detail. Also I can get a super pack version at a very reasonable price. Good customer service.
Cons: While Robotech licensing does not bother me at all, I *feel* like I would want a second one, this time DYRL related, in the future. 99% KC won't make one, although I wonder if new HG and BW agreement opens this possibility for them.

2) DX Chogokin. I see unused ones sold at Mandarake for about 27000 yen, which is, while far from MSRP, is reasonable for a valk of this detail.
Pros: it's magnificent and superior to other valks.
Cons: Strike parts are sold separately, for around 50% of the valks price. Being a second hand item from Japan, no customer support for me.

Any other recommendations? Thank you!

Edited by uzernaem

1 hour ago, uzernaem said:

Hi everyone. A noob here, looking for recommendations for my first valkyrie purchase.

My first exposure to Macross was Robotech sometime in early to mid 90's. I've owned a junky KO Roy Focker 1/55 valk at that time. So, I've rewatched Macross again recently, proper Japanese version, then DYRL. Naturally, the nostalgia kicked in and I decided to get a proper VF-1S this time.

My first idea was to look for a legit 1/55, but to my disappointment, the latest rerelease was almost 20 years ago, so finding one unused at a reasonable price is out of the question. So, studying other options I've came up with this so far (big thanks to anymoon.com for the reviews):

Hi-Metal R: I've decided against it because my nostalgia is bound to a bigger toy. Furthermore, for the level of detail these toys have, the second hand market prices are too much.

Arcadia: would be ideal, but again, second hand prices are too much. For the same amount of money I can get a DX Chogokin one, which looks like a superior choice.

These option are the ones that I currently choosing between:

1) Pre-ordering KitzConcept VF-1S v2.
Pros:
Looks like KC valks have a good amount of detail. Also I can get a super pack version at a very reasonable price. Good customer service.
Cons: While Robotech licensing does not bother me at all, I *feel* like I would want a second one, this time DYRL related, in the future. 99% KC won't make one, although I wonder if new HG and BW agreement opens this possibility for them.

2) DX Chogokin. I see unused ones sold at Mandarake for about 27000 yen, which is, while far from MSRP, is reasonable for a valk of this detail.
Pros: it's magnificent and superior to other valks.
Cons: Strike parts are sold separately, for around 50% of the valks price. Being a second hand item from Japan, no customer support for me.

Any other recommendations? Thank you!

There's a site called http://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/  They sell used Valks as well.  You can also check the For Sale section for better deals here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/forum/9-for-sale-trade/ Check it often as people put stuff up for sale all the time.  Lastly check here for a list of retailers who sell the items you're looking for: 

4 minutes ago, enphily said:

There are Yamato/arcadia in 1/60 scale, like this: https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1107941522&ref=list&keyword=マクロス&lang=en

less detailed than KC or Bandai, but very good and stirdy

That's a good price for a strike valk, but the item condition of this lot scares me.

BTW does anyone know if "first release" subtitle for DX Focker means that another release is planned soon?

2 minutes ago, uzernaem said:

That's a good price for a strike valk, but the item condition of this lot scares me.

BTW does anyone know if "first release" subtitle for DX Focker means that another release is planned soon?

Most items from mandarake labeled as damaged box have great condition and box with tiny scratches.

About 2nd question: wait 1-2 years and maybe the'll do another run. Maybe there will be bundle with Armored parts, like VF-1J

9 minutes ago, enphily said:

Most items from mandarake labeled as damaged box have great condition and box with tiny scratches.

About 2nd question: wait 1-2 years and maybe the'll do another run. Maybe there will be bundle with Armored parts, like VF-1J

Thanks! Actually, 1/60 scale would be perfect for me. Will keep an eye for Arcadia. I wish Bandai DX was 1/60 as well.

Any opinion on KitzConcept?

So, after checking numerous reviews, I've ordered a DX Roy VF-1S via Japan surface mail. Wish me luck.

Even with the inflated price, it still feels less overpriced that Arcadia or Hi-Metal R releases. I am not planning to get a full collection anyway, will probably add DYRL Hikaru and Strike parts a bit later while it's still available.

Now looking for a good deal on the missile pack.

Hi everyone! I hope you won't mind me asking a couple of more noob questions.

1) Is modern white plastic used by Bandai and Arcadia immune to yellowing?

2) Has Shoji Kawamori designed actual 1/55 toy? Or it is designed by someone else using his mechanical designs for Valkyrie?

Macross Frontier toys have yellowed. I would expect newer Arcadia and Bandai plastics to yellow over time as well.  Not sure if they are more resistant to it.  All we can do is try to delay it.  Only time will tell.

I'm sure he was involved, but how much more than consultation and approval I know not. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m thinking of which valk to buy next and I’ve narrowed it down to three choices.  The DX VF-25S renewal with armored parts, the YF-19 full set pack, and the arcadia VF-1S with strike parts.  For anyone that has them, what are your thoughts on each and if you had to pick one, which would you go with?

3 hours ago, Solo Wing Pixy said:

I’m thinking of which valk to buy next and I’ve narrowed it down to three choices.  The DX VF-25S renewal with armored parts, the YF-19 full set pack, and the arcadia VF-1S with strike parts.  For anyone that has them, what are your thoughts on each and if you had to pick one, which would you go with?

If you don’t have any of those, I’d absolutely go with the Arcadia 1S every time, all day. Such a great and basically flawless figure when you can’t exactly say the same for the other two. The YF-19 set is nice too and would be my 2nd choice. The added bonus with that is you get a huge selection of armaments that you can use with other DX Valks. I don’t have the 25S and won’t buy one unless they make a improved version like the recent 29 full set but I do hope they do since I love the look with the armor parts. I just don’t want to deal with the flop. 

On 5/30/2021 at 1:33 PM, Slave IV said:

If you don’t have any of those, I’d absolutely go with the Arcadia 1S every time, all day. Such a great and basically flawless figure when you can’t exactly say the same for the other two. The YF-19 set is nice too and would be my 2nd choice. The added bonus with that is you get a huge selection of armaments that you can use with other DX Valks. I don’t have the 25S and won’t buy one unless they make a improved version like the recent 29 full set but I do hope they do since I love the look with the armor parts. I just don’t want to deal with the flop. 

The VF-25S + armored parts was something I wanted for a while due to being a fan of Frontier.  However, most of the secondhand prices i’ve seen have been quite expensive which is understandable.  But given its price point I’ll likely be way less forgiving of durability issues like the loose joints.  The arcadia VF-1S is a significantly cheaper option and comes with a full complement of accessories on top of being a pretty iconic toy I’ve heard a lot of praise for.  Thanks for the help!

Edited by Solo Wing Pixy

On 5/30/2021 at 6:30 AM, Solo Wing Pixy said:

If you're wanting a VF-1S, get the Bandai DX.  It's worth the $.  The detail and quality is better than Arcadia.  

3 hours ago, Skull005 said:

If you're wanting a VF-1S, get the Bandai DX.  It's worth the $.  The detail and quality is better than Arcadia.  

3 hours ago, Solo Wing Pixy said:

Yeah i’ve heard the 1/48 DX VF-1’s are the most well regarded iterations of the design to date.

Unless he prefers 1/60 scale. Assuming that is based on what his question is since all he mentioned were all 1/60 scale Valks. (DX VF-25 is not officially 1/60 but close.) ;) 

Edited by no3Ljm

9 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, and I wouldn’t say the detail and quality are better on the DX. I’d say they are different. There is definitely more detail on the DX compared to the non PF Arcadia. 

You can also probably get the DX's a little cheaper than the PF Arcadia's.  Depending on which one you want of course

8 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

You can also probably get the DX's a little cheaper than the PF Arcadia's.  Depending on which one you want of course

This part may be true but I don't know the aftermarket prices. You would need to buy the separate parts for missiles and Super Parts for the DX while the Arcadia comes with it all. Anyways, all different items, all worth having, IMO.

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

This part may be true but I don't know the aftermarket prices. You would need to buy the separate parts for missiles and Super Parts for the DX while the Arcadia comes with it all. Anyways, all different items, all worth having, IMO.

Well, I just picked up a PF Roy VF-1S Strike from Jungle in essentially new condition, a bit under $400 shipped.

A DX Roy would be ~$270, plus whatever market is for the strike packs. Arcadia is slightly cheaper, not by that much though.

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

True, I was just speaking of the Valk itself sans accessories