TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

Anyone know of a good decal maker who could copy the Yamato VF-11B sticker sheet and make decals of it? Thanks!

I have a question for owners of the Yamato 1/48 VF-1A Kakizaki DYRL.

I recently picked up a copy (FINALLY!) but I'm noticing that it's slightly more yellow/darker than some of my other 1/48's.  Another member told me his Kakizaki was also darker than his other 1/48's.  

I own a couple yellowed valks and toys so I'm very familiar with how they look when ravaged by heat and the sun.  But usually the yellowing is uneven, with some parts really yellow and other parts still white/light.  This Kakizaki's color is uniform throughout the entire figure, every nook and cranny.  The only difference in color is with the chicken hands, which are slightly whiter than the rest of the valk.

My question: is Kakizaki DYRL darker than other 1/48's or is my copy yellowed?

In this picture, the left one w/ super parts is a custom, repainted Hikaru that was really yellowed and whitened with peroxide treatment that has started to yellow again. 

IMAG1991.jpg.c4b907aa355067510cf972b65411d63a.jpg

IMAG1992.jpg.53aca4e7910e8ce15b3c064347ca8087.jpg

IMAG1994.jpg.49a8fe555ecc07ebaee9a7cf2274ed25.jpg

IMAG1995.jpg.dcbcb1603b7f1fa3a79a5fda01c46241.jpg

IMAG1993.jpg.686d9ed0561757bcc4c6518511433f86.jpg

On 4/18/2019 at 8:23 AM, dafob said:

That would be very helpful.  BTW, if 2.2 is clear canopy w/ fixed crotched, what does 2.1 mean?  I thought maybe fixed shoulders but I see the VT-1 as 2.1 which eliminates that theory.

Keeping my word... and I went back and did it for the Yamato Version 1 releases too!

Yamato-Version-1-Releases-1.jpg

Yamato-Arcadia-VF-1-Releases-4K-2A.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Definitely!

...depending on scale..:p

Did you try shapeways?

I tried looking around but couldnt seem to use the right keywords i supose! always got miscellaneous stuff for other scale models. Was asking here just in case to.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a discount code available at nippon-yanan. can anyone tell me where I enter it? I can't see a field at any point from cart to payment.

edit: kind forummer showed me you add item to cart, go to cart, discount appears under the order, you click Add.

Edited by apptt4
answered

3 hours ago, theraiden said:

Noobie question here

I want to give my Valkyrie's a "battle" look.

Using stickers like these: https://toyhax.com/symbols-for-tf/2725-battle-damage-labels.html is there any chance of them having adverse effect on the plastic of the toy? 

Which Valkyrie figure we're talking about here? If it's Yamato or Arcadia, then I'm pretty sure that it's fine since the sets also include stickers sheets for added details.

10 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Which Valkyrie figure we're talking about here? If it's Yamato or Arcadia, then I'm pretty sure that it's fine since the sets also include stickers sheets for added details.

Ok, thanks for the reply! Yamato and HMR's. I display them out of sunlight so yeah it will probably be ok

8 minutes ago, theraiden said:

Ok, thanks for the reply! Yamato and HMR's. I display them out of sunlight so yeah it will probably be ok

You're welcome. Though always remember that any stickers will still leave residue after time.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve got a shipping question. Not sure where to ask, so..

Ordered from Mandrake SAL shipping. Been monitoring it. The last several updates as follows:

7/05/19 (16:14) Arrival at inward office of exchange . ISC San Francisco (USPS)

7/05/19 (16:14) Item presented to import customs  ISC San Francisco (USPS)

7/8/19 (7:04) Processing at delivery post office (assuming my local post office..)

7/8/19 (8:03) Item out for physical delivery (...)

7/8/19 retention (no time stamp& what does that mean?)

Should’nt I have-

A) received the package in my mail box, or..

B) received a parcel slip to come pick it up from my local post office?

I haven received either . It’s been 2 days since the last update and I don’t know if retention means it’s been sent back or it’s being held onto, or what.. I was hoping for something today..will call the post office tomorrow as it’s now too late in the day..

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

B

Yup, go to your local post with the tracking number and ask if they have your box.

Same thing happened to me, and they'd lost the label off of my box, but they were able to find it based on size/mandarake label on the side and release it to me.

Retention notice, no pick-up slip.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

I figured, just haven’t had this happen before..

Thanks for the info amigos!

Cheers

You can also do an online inquiry at usps.com. I did that once when something like that happened and it triggered movement on the tracking and I got the item soon after. 

• 1 month later...

It's a tough call, but I'd go with the YF-19.

YF-19 is form Macross plus, rather than from a few seconds of cameo in one of the Frontier movies.

YF-19 comes with an arseload of munitions, the arm-guns, and the fold dildo.

VF-19 has the better looking super-pack, but not enough to make up for the above. Plus the wing boosters look kinda silly in battroid.

Guess I'll be the one to say the VF-19 Advance, it has better fit and finish than the YF-19 (which had issues with broken head lasers (shipping/packing) and loose stabilizers that won't stay attached).

Granted the YF is the more iconic of the two and contains the more desirable accessories, but between the crap shoot on if you get a problem free copy and the over-abundance of print I'd spend my money on the Advance.

-b. 

I only have the Advance . So the grass looks pretty green over on the YF lawn:lol:

Having said that..I made an intentional choice over the YF, as I'm satisfied with my anniversary Yammy ( and i have a slew of 1/72's waiting to be built) And the VF is Isamu's latest ride, which is awesome.

The accessories that come with both are very cool, the YF probably tips the balance in that arena (i bought the arm canon off shapeways for my Advance and a bunch of missiles tho..). And I personally love that the Advance is an SMS with 5th gen fast packs.

A tip on buying the YF. If you shop it on Mandrake, you know exactly whats broken and what's not before hand.They have a strict rating system .

Edited by Bolt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CeramicDragon said:

How to buy from yahoo japan auctions?  Do you have to use a 3rd party to do it?

Generally yes, watch out, you generally pay for domestic shipping, bank transfer fees, frequently domestic tax which is going up to 10%, plus the third party commission, then international shipping... For most new items it doesn't make sense... Unless it's being scalped.

On 8/16/2019 at 5:23 AM, Silverstreak said:

If you could only have one, would it be the Bandai YF-19 or the VF-19 Advance? Is there any difference in the quality of either release? I already have the Arcadia 19 so am leaning towards the Advance, although the missile pack is super tempting.

thanks. 

late response, but the correct answer is get both. 

IMG_0366.jpg

On 8/16/2019 at 3:23 PM, Silverstreak said:

If you could only have one, would it be the Bandai YF-19 or the VF-19 Advance? Is there any difference in the quality of either release? I already have the Arcadia 19 so am leaning towards the Advance, although the missile pack is super tempting.

thanks. 

YF-19. Better leg articulation and arm cannon

• 2 months later...