TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

Time for another noobie question that I'm sure has been answered somewhere but I cant seem to find it now. Is HKCollectibles a reputable site to order from?

Yes it's legit. I've ordered a couple of items from them. A bit slow to ship, but from my experience they've packed the items well, and promptly answers emails.

Ha. They are both great and both entirely different from each other. Other than picking one over the other for personal preference, the only other factor is cost. The 25s was recently re-released. Depending on where you look it wouldn't be impossible to get a 25s for almost half the cost of the 0D.

Edit: Renewal 25's. Not version 1's.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Can you point me out to a place to get it for half off? 25s

I don't know of anywhere that has a 25s for half off. I said "Depending on where you look it wouldn't be impossible to get a 25s for almost half the cost of the 0D".

Yeah, I meant in the $150+ range would be great! Long time lurker. I picked up my VF1J bandai at Frank and Sons in industry,CA back in the day.

Your best bet is to check places like Mandarake other other Japanese retailers where the exchange rate will work in your favor. Even then, you still have to factor in shipping so getting a 25S for $150 total will be a pretty tall order.

Your best bet is to check places like Mandarake other other Japanese retailers where the exchange rate will work in your favor. Even then, you still have to factor in shipping so getting a 25S for $150 total will be a pretty tall order.

the current mandarake price for a sealed 25S is 18k yen and they usually sold within seconds :p

the current mandarake price for a sealed 25S is 18k yen and they usually sold within seconds :p

18k yen at current rates is about $150. Like I said though, it's the shipping that will put you over. It's possible you could snag a 25S for less than that if it's opened or damaged in some way, esp. since Mandarake will discount for the slightest flaw.

Edited by SuperSenpai

• 2 weeks later...

I'll test it for you tomorrow. As far as I know though, no difference at all. There's nothing that would interfere from what I recall. The radome is far enough back that the missile pods wouldn't be an issue. Nothing else that the super parts mount to is different compared to other valks.

Edited by mickyg

I stand corrected, and slightly annoyed as well...

I bought an RVF-25 but decided not to get the super parts, due to crazy cost at the time (they've since become even more expensive). I already had a spare set of VF-25G super parts and figured I could get the bandai model kit for the ghosts.

So that's what I did.

The ghosts are being assembled and although they're a bit smaller than what comes with the super set, the size difference will hardly be noticeable on an unpiloted machine. Well that's my thinking, anyway.

Anyway, I've had the Valk for while now and haven't bothered fitting the G super parts. Until now...

The good news is that there aren't too many surprises. Most everything fits just fine.

The bad news is that some things don't. The backpack sensor/booster does not. The mounting bracket for the radome fouls on the inside structure of the super part. I'm not sure what the RVF set does to address this but it simply will not fit if you use another set.

post-10360-0-58467900-1427665535_thumb.jpg

post-10360-0-94748100-1427665562_thumb.jpg

The other, less serious issue, is the missile box mounting plates. There are model specific differences between these parts, to cater to the different head styles. The RVF and G (and A) are definitely different as far as the plates go. Its not an issue that causes any figment issues though, as far as I can tell.

post-10360-0-47508100-1427665588_thumb.jpg

post-10360-0-76563200-1427665606_thumb.jpg

Anyone got any pics of the RVF super parts backpack piece? Specifically the underside, as I'd love to know what needs modifying.

Hope that helps, barurutor.

Edited by mickyg

Alright, I've got a question for the experten on all things VF-25 renewal. And I'm a little bit embarrassed to be asking, given how long I've had the three in my possession.

On my VF-25G (haven't really tested this much on the other two variants I have: and RVF and the 25F) I cannot for the life of me get the shield back on in fighter mode. Super part installed or not, makes no difference. I just can't get it to click into place. I thought it was the hands at first but I don't think it's that. I'm afraid I'm going to break something given how much force I'm applying to even attempt to get it to click.

What do most of you guys do to get these back in place? Closed fists on the articulated hands or open? Thumbs in a certain position? How are you holding your mouth when you do it? Seriously, I'm stumped...

UPDATE:

Figured it out!

As an FYI to anyone else frustrated with this little issue, here's the deal. The shield must be installed at the correct angle. if it's off at all as you attempt to slide it on, it will not align up with the locking tabs and it simply won't go on. Sounds like no big deal, except that the hands will screw everything up if they're not also at the right orientation. If the flat parts on the tops of the hands (the blue part on the 25G for example) are not in a "wrist bent slightly back" orientation, they will press up against the shield as you try to slide it on and prevent it from being "flat" and locking properly.

In my case, the hands were doing exactly that and while I thought the shield was flat as I put it on, it was not. If you're looking at the fighter mode with it sitting on its landing gear, on the ground, the shield should slope slightly downward near the tip. Mine was almost perfectly horizontal. That's all it takes.

Another tidbit of info: the hands on mine are completely closed and the thumbs oriented so they are resting parallel, against each other.

Edited by mickyg

One reason the VF-19 is a far superior design!

I love my renewal 25, it along with my 171, and 19F are my absolute favorites in my collection.

Anyone got tips on how to tighten the shoulder and hip joints on a Yamato YF-19?

Hi, I'm new. I think I understand the rules and I am just stating as a matter of fact and not defending, but I came to the world of Macross through Robotech. While Robotech has a special place in my heart I am well aware of the superiority of Macross. I have a toy collection and I don't know the specific rules about where to post what. I own a Bandai 1/55 VF-1J H. Ichijo, which I love dearly. I also have two Robotech Masterpieces, one Scott Bernard Blue Alpha and a Maia Sterling Shadow Alpha. Next are 2 1/100 toynami 30th anniversary Robotech, one a Rick Hunter VF-1S, and a Max Sterling VF-1A. I have some questions about a DIY fix for my blue alpha, the right hand broke on its first time out of the box. Overall I am not impressed with the Alpha fighter masterpiece models, they are flimsy and pretty disappointing. I have 2 Aoshima 1/48 Mospeada Legioss fighters on the way. I plan on taking a right hand from the 2nd green Legioss and replacing the broken hand of my blue alpha as I understand that the Aoshima 1/48 and th MPC 1/55 are the same mold castr and model essentially. I also have a Mospeada ride armor 1983 Gakken en route as well. If anyone can direct me to the correct place to discuss my Mopseada/Robotech collection and repairs I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone has any advice you can e-mail me at giantmanofrichland@gmail.com. Thanks for your patience, I apologize if I have crossed the line with my non Macross discussion, thanks.

Hi, I'm new. I think I understand the rules and I am just stating as a matter of fact and not defending, but I came to the world of Macross through Robotech. While Robotech has a special place in my heart I am well aware of the superiority of Macross. I have a toy collection and I don't know the specific rules about where to post what. I own a Bandai 1/55 VF-1J H. Ichijo, which I love dearly. I also have two Robotech Masterpieces, one Scott Bernard Blue Alpha and a Maia Sterling Shadow Alpha. Next are 2 1/100 toynami 30th anniversary Robotech, one a Rick Hunter VF-1S, and a Max Sterling VF-1A. I have some questions about a DIY fix for my blue alpha, the right hand broke on its first time out of the box. Overall I am not impressed with the Alpha fighter masterpiece models, they are flimsy and pretty disappointing. I have 2 Aoshima 1/48 Mospeada Legioss fighters on the way. I plan on taking a right hand from the 2nd green Legioss and replacing the broken hand of my blue alpha as I understand that the Aoshima 1/48 and th MPC 1/55 are the same mold castr and model essentially. I also have a Mospeada ride armor 1983 Gakken en route as well. If anyone can direct me to the correct place to discuss my Mopseada/Robotech collection and repairs I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone has any advice you can e-mail me at giantmanofrichland@gmail.com. Thanks for your patience, I apologize if I have crossed the line with my non Macross discussion, thanks.

You'll find that quite a few of us here came to Macross by way of Robotech, including myself. With a few exceptions, if you're from the U.S. that was pretty much the only way that you could have experienced it. As wmkjr pointed out, we have a Mospeada thread in the anime and sci-fi forum. You might be interested in some of the latest posts there, as there's been some discussion of Toynami's announcement that they were reissuing the MPC Alphas. In the Macross toy forum, there will occasionally be a thread discussing Robotech-branded products that are based on Macross, but other than that and a few threads here and there making fun of Harmony Gold's latest shenanigans, there usually isn't much in the way of Robotech-specific discussion.

Also, if you want replacement hands for your MPC Alphas, one of our forum members has a shop of Shapeways where you can order some:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/GSD89RUK4/reg-hands-closing?li=shop-results&optionId=41187734

http://www.shapeways.com/product/F4U7Z9D7M/leg-hand-trigger?li=shop-results&optionId=43830261

• 3 weeks later...

Posting here, since I didn't think this appeal for help merited a new thread...

Anyone out there who's got a YF-19 that includes this doodad...

post-2536-0-94394900-1430146913_thumb.png

... could you please post a photo/scan of the part of the toy's instruction booklet that identifies the parts by name? (Or just copy out the text, whatever's easiest for you.)

We're trying to get a non-Master File ID this weapon (and its triangular, similarly-colored counterpart), which have appeared in promotional materials but never been identified by name in art books. It seems to come with a lot of the YF-19 toys, so I figured that was our best bet to get an alternate identification for it.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Posting here, since I didn't think this appeal for help merited a new thread...

Anyone out there who's got a YF-19 that includes this doodad...

attachicon.gifForSketchley2.PNG

... could you please post a photo/scan of the part of the toy's instruction booklet that identifies the parts by name? (Or just copy out the text, whatever's easiest for you.)

We're trying to get a non-Master File ID this weapon (and its triangular, similarly-colored counterpart), which have appeared in promotional materials but never been identified by name in art books. It seems to come with a lot of the YF-19 toys, so I figured that was our best bet to get an alternate identification for it.

SPP-8 Self-propelled Physical Warhead Launcher Pod x 4

You're welcome. Just found it online. ;)

Here's the link to be exact including the rest of the armaments that came with it.

https://playevolution.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/arcadia-160-yf-19-with-fast-pack/

And the stuff on the other tray, from top left to bottom right (lifted from the manual):

• NP-AB-20b Conformal Tanks
  • NP-FB-FA Conformal Tanks
  • Calf attachments
  • HMM-111CS High Maneuver Missile x 4
  • Large Anti-ship Reaction Warhead x 4
  • LPP-12 Self-propelled Laser Pod x 4
  • Attachment parts for Fold Booster (not included)
  • AOM-8S 2-stage Interceptor Missile x 8
  • SPP-8 Self-propelled Physical Warhead Launcher Pod x 4
  • Various pylons

• 2 weeks later...

hi there. nubcakes to the boards :) was gifted a 1/60 yamato valk recently and i am hooked. i now own two, but sadly one of them does not have the optional parts. i did a bit of googling to see if i could find them separate, but it doesn't appear to be the case. do i need to up my googling skills or does yamato not sell these separately? i also pinged EXO on shapeways, as he seems to have made the parts on his own. sadly they appear to be out of production :-(

any information would appreciated!

D