TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

Hi guys, I have a few newbie questions.

1)So I'm trying to buy my very first valk toy. I have a pending sale for a VF-29 Focker paint scheme for, what I think is a good deal, $200 with shipping. However I don't know if I should get it or cancel it and wait for VF-29 Ozma pain scheme, which is what I really want. I don't really like the current paint schemes of the VF-29 when it is in fighter mode, but it looks great in gerwalk or battroid. Personally, Ozma's paint scheme is the only one I like in all three forms. I know that Bandai just announced the Isamu paint scheme, so what are the chances of the Ozma paint scheme comming out by next year?

2)Is summer and winter the typical time when new valks are released? Just wondering so I would know when to be actively looking for new things.

3)Lastly, what does it mean when something is a web exclusive release? From what I gathered, pre-ordering valk toys often sell-out quickly. But web exclusive releases seem to keep their pre-order open until release. So being web exclusive means unlimited pre-orders? I'm basing my info from the comments here.

"No guys this is a web exclusive so the preorders will be at all the middleman services and will stay open until the end date."

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Koteng

Regarding the first question: I would start with a VF-1S Focker as my first Valkyrie but since you seem to be very keen on the YF-29 I won't try to persuade you (also my first Valkyrie was a VF-25F Renewal). The chance of a YF-29 Ozma Custom being made is there. I'm sure Bandai made the move for the Isamu Custom because of the YF-19 announcement from Arcadia. So if this release sells well they maybe thinking about the Ozma variant. The schedule for any Frontier stuff from Bandai is pretty empty since they re-released all the line.

What's left is the Monster and the VF-27 CF version, some VF-171 Variants and the Macross Galaxy ghost drones (I'm sure they don't want to release capital ships). So if Bandai gets bored they might start to release some obscure paint schemes like the YF-29 Ozma to make some easy money.

Regarding the second question: Bandai Valkyries are released over the whole year. Since the beginning of the year we almost had a new Valk or an accessory every month. So you could check this very forum for new releases. The Macross World homepage (MW is not only this message board) or the Macross toy news on the Toyark (there is a way to only list Macross related news but I don't know how to filter it from the top of my head).

Don't know what Arcadia is planning as a release schedule but they are a new company but their stuff seems to bee widely available for preorder so you don't miss them when you blink.

Regarding the third question: the Tamashii Web Shop belongs to Bandai and sells exclusive items that are only available through them. In addition they don't ship internationally so you need a Japanese address if your planning to buy stuff from them directly.

The drill is the following: once an item is announced the shop will open a preorder window for the item that stays open until the deadline (usually several month). After that they produce as much items as they received preorders. Usually the item will never be produced after that. This is the reason why the YF-29 Alto Custom Super Parts are only available with a huge mark-up.

Since most foreigners (like the toy-fanatics on this message board) don't have a Japanese address they have to go through a middle man for buying Tamashii Web Shop exclusives. There are several choices available ranging form web-shops (like NY), proxy buyers (like fromjapan) or even group buys on message on message boards.

Normally preorders for Bandai Valkyries should not sell out that fast so the market is kinda overheated. To sum it up web exclusive means that the toy probably will never be re-released and a proxy fee for foreign buyers.

@Scyla Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions! I just thought of getting the YF-29 Focker because it seemed like a good deal since it seems to be priced normally at $300-400. But I'll be patient and get the YF-29 Ozma whenever it (or if it ever) comes out. I gave it some thought and I think I'll get a VF-25 renewal for my first 1/60 valk. Even though the original valks have so much nostalgia-charm in them, I prefer the designs of newer valks. :p

Have a couple shopping questions:

1) On Nippon Yasan, if you pre-order items with different release dates, will they ship your items as them come in, or should I be making multiple individual orders?

2) For anyone that's used it, what has your experience been with the combined monthly order thing from AmiAmi? Because some stuff got delayed all my outstanding pre-orders are now on the same month, but I'm kind of worried about asking them to combine everything into one order because these are in-demand items and I've heard about people having already released/payed for stuff being sold out from under them because some items didn't come into stock at the same time and it delayed their order.

Edited by anime52k8

1) If you order items with different release dates (i.e. the tems are in the same shopping cart) they will send you all the items when they are all available. In addition the shopping cotsts they calculate cover all the items you've ordered in one session.

For example I ordered the YF-29 30th Anniversary Edition and her Super Parts in the same session. They send the package with both items when the Super Parts where available in May. Also they calculated the shipping costs when the order was made so splitting up the order or combine it with other orders (I tried with the VF-171 CF) will result in a different amount of money you have to pay. Combining orders will most likely raise the shipping costs (don't know about splitting). I would've had to pay more if I had included the VF-171CF into the YF-29 order. If you're planning to split/combine orders you have to sent them an email.

2) Never used it.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone who's bought from Nippon Yasan tried to get the price of an item adjusted after paying for it? I ordered something a week ago and it just went on sale right after. Basically I could have save $20 if I waited 4 days to order. <_<

They have a policy that if you preorder something and the price is changed at the time of release you have to contact them and they will adjust the price.

When I preorder a VF-4G they adjusted me the price when the full price was released. I had preordered a second VF-4G but it had a wildly different price, I ask too for price adjustment and they gave me some BS about currency exchange rates blah blah that made no sense and did not adjust the price.

Contact them to see if they could it. But if it's from an item you payed and then went into sale, I think the sale was final at the moment you bought it unless you cancel that order and order again at the sale price.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any place where i can get a custom decal version of the skull symbol for 1/60 1S Roy? Other than future arcadia releases, none of the hasegawa model kits are in scale and I really dislike stickers.

This might help

http://www.ebay.com/itm/water-slide-decals-VF-1-Macross-U-N-SPACY-white-5815-/180928730158?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2a2031542e

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I bought a 1/60 set of yf 19 and yf 21 a few years ago and primarily used them for alt mode displays before I went back to collecting transformers.

Long story short, I started fiddling with them again today and broke a piece of the yf 21 off and was wondering if there was a place I could get a replacement. It is the grey piece of plastic under the helmet (looks like a home plate) and was held on by 3 screws. I could glue it back on but would like another one as the one on his right side seems to have a stress mark as well. I remembered when I transformed him a few years ago that pulling his head apart was extremely difficult and there was a reason I didn't transform these guys too often lol. Today I was super careful too... :unsure:

Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

Thanks.

Since Yamato is now defunct I assume it is near impossible to get a replacement part. You could try to get in contact with Yamato USA (http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/). Maybe they could help you.

Another possible fix would be the people who offer replacement parts (VF5SS and Kurisama). Maybe they can model the part and you can print it via Shapeways. But I assume that the broken part is not that common so the appeal of making a replacement might not be that huge. Or you know someone that can create stuff with a 3D modeling tool.

Finally you could open a Wanted post in the wanted section of this message board if someone is willing to sell you his broken YF-21 that you can salvage for replacement parts.

To be honest I don't think any of this is a viable solution but you can try.

Hope I was some kind of help. Good luck. :)

Edited by Scyla

Thanks Scy.

Ended up just CA gluing the bastard back together and putting a little glue on the stressed side as well. Will open up my next valk or other figures to see which parts might need reinforcing. I have been doing it with my TFs, but valks are much more intimidating lol.

Will email the site. Can't afford to commission anything since new consoles and figures are around the corner. Will check out the FS section as I cannot start a thread yet.

Again thanks for help.

Hi guys, i always wondered what is the" kai "version of the figure and what does it mean ? etc..

From my knowledge all the Valkyries of Soundforce (VF-11, VF-17 and VF-19) have the Kai suffix. According to Wikipedia Kai in Japanese can mean recovery/restoration. Since the sound energy is capable of restoring who suffered from the Spirita-drain of the Protodevilin I assume that is where the Kai came from.

Maybe someone who has some deeper knowledge in the mystery that is M7 can shed some light onthis topic.

From my knowledge all the Valkyries of Soundforce (VF-11, VF-17 and VF-19) have the Kai suffix. According to Wikipedia Kai in Japanese can mean recovery/restoration. Since the sound energy is capable of restoring who suffered from the Spirita-drain of the Protodevilin I assume that is where the Kai came from.

Maybe someone who has some deeper knowledge in the mystery that is M7 can shed some light onthis topic.

i also seen it on alot of gundam figure as well.... " kai version " just dont know why its label as so ....

i also seen it on alot of gundam figure as well.... " kai version " just dont know why its label as so ....

Maybe it means modified version?

I've seen Gundams with the Ver. ka. I think it means Version Katoki, after Hajime Katoki. I think it means he oversaw every phase of that particular model. Like his own personal version. I'm not sure though.

Edited by wmkjr

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it means modified version?

This. Kai (改) means to modify, change or improve. in the real world the JASDF use it to indicate updated aircraft types (such as the modernized F-4EJ Kai). In a lot of giant robot shows the term is used to indicate one-off customs rather than a specification of improved versions (as is the case with the VF-19Kai).

You're also on the money about Ver. Ka. stuff. It's a marketing term by Bandai that indicates the design of a toy was based on concepts and supervised by Hajime Katoki.

I've got a question too BTW.

What's the best way to go about canceling a pre-order through Nippon-Yasan without having them close your account completely?

If you haven't received an invoice yet, you can just send them a mail they probably do not send you a confirmation mail but you should see it when you log in.

If you have received an invoice then I assume you should pray to your gods in heaven! :)

This is my latest knowledge so the first assumption might not be correct if they changed their ToS recently.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have 3 pre-orders in a combined monthy order at AmiAmi. one of the items says in-stock in my order history but sold out on the item page. Should I be worried about them selling my item out from under me while I wait for the other items come in to stock so I can pay and have my order shipped? :unsure:

The only bundle packs that are supposed to not safe are the non-anniversary DYRL bundle packs. Also, there's a possibility that even "unsafe" toys may be fine. I have TV Hikaru VF-1J that belongs in the unsafe group, but the shoulders are totally fine.

Thanks. So Im guessing those two are in the 'un-safe' group, but it really is a gamble. Not such a big deal with replacement parts readily available from shapeways.

Yes. Those two are in the unsafe group and is a gamble. Just get one if you want to. If shoulders are broken, get some from shapeways. If they're not, rejoice.

Since there's only the unsafe release for Hikaru's 1A you don't really have a choice in that. Roy's 1S on the other hand, you'll have the anniversary version and standalone anniversary which you need to buy the strike parts separately for and these may cost more than the bundle cause it can be hard to find. So if these are cheaper, just go for them.

Also gotta note that those above are the rainbow canopy ones. Might/might not matter to some people.