TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

Can someone tell me what the different is between the two versions of white these come in and has anyone tried the black ones?

Bump... Anyone? I have the first V2 VF-1J Hikaru (I bought option parts separately).

Does the color match up better in the white or polished white? I have my finger on the "buy"button :-)

Edited by Astralith

The white is the same between both versions. It's just that the surface of the parts is smoothed over on the polished ones.

That makes a lot of sense. It does seem like the easiest solution. What size tack are these- just ordinary thumbtacks, basically?

They're wood tacks. The box says they're 3/8's of an inch long. Again though any similarly sized metal pin will do as the WSF won't break unless you cut it yourself.

The white is the same between both versions. It's just that the surface of the parts is smoothed over

Ok, thanks. I hope I'm not being a pain. Which one would you recommend? Is their some significance to the polishing? Which you did you use? Why?

I just don't want to purchase the wrong thing. Thank you again.

Edited by Astralith

I keep seeing pics on eBay of bronze photo-etched parts and a VF-1 with its nose cone off. I attempted to take the nose cone off of mine (Hikaru VF-1J v2) to see if there's a little radar dish under there but I could tell it would break if I kept trying. So what's the story here? Is the nose cone supposed to pop off?

I keep seeing pics on eBay of bronze photo-etched parts and a VF-1 with its nose cone off. I attempted to take the nose cone off of mine (Hikaru VF-1J v2) to see if there's a little radar dish under there but I could tell it would break if I kept trying. So what's the story here? Is the nose cone supposed to pop off?

You need to get one of these:

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1941

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1940

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1939

...in order to do use the 1/60 photo-etched parts like this:

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1842

Are there any cheap alternatives to the DX Chogokin stands I can use on my 1/60 in fighter mode? $100 for this Bandai stand, I'm hoping there's something for normal airplane models out there for less than $40? One that doesn't damage paint?

Edited by grymg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, newbie here!

So I've finally taken the plunge and got myself my 2nd VF (My first Macross toy was the YF-19, can't remember the scale but it's pretty old now).

So I noticed Yamato hasn't done any of the Macross Frontier toys yet, what's up with that?

Also while I'm at it, any idea if it's possible to get a VF-25F (Osma or Alto custom) Armored Messiah at non-rape price?

Looking forward to having discussions and learning from the folks here :D

Hi all, newbie here!

So I've finally taken the plunge and got myself my 2nd VF (My first Macross toy was the YF-19, can't remember the scale but it's pretty old now).

So I noticed Yamato hasn't done any of the Macross Frontier toys yet, what's up with that?

Also while I'm at it, any idea if it's possible to get a VF-25F (Osma or Alto custom) Armored Messiah at non-rape price?

Looking forward to having discussions and learning from the folks here :D/>

Welcome to the forums!

To answer your first question Yamato doesn't have the licensing for macross frontier so they can't make the valks.

Second your best bet to get a bandai VF-25 renewal with armored parts at MSRP is to build a time machine and go back to when preorders where open. Believe me building a time machine is a lot cheaper than paying for a V.2 VF-25 right now.

Welcome to the forums! To answer your first question Yamato doesn't have the licensing for macross frontier so they can't make the valks. Second your best bet to get a bandai VF-25 renewal with armored parts at MSRP is to build a time machine and go back to when preorders where open. Believe me building a time machine is a lot cheaper than paying for a V.2 VF-25 right now.

Ha ha.. indeed.

Incidentally, are the VF-25F Armored Messiahs (those that comes with armored packed together) based on the v1 VF-25F? or v2?

Just asking in case I do bump into a cheaper 2nd hand one.

Ha ha.. indeed.

Incidentally, are the VF-25F Armored Messiahs (those that comes with armored packed together) based on the v1 VF-25F? or v2?

Just asking in case I do bump into a cheaper 2nd hand one.

Also make sure you check out Anymoon.com for all your review needs. The guy that runs it is a member here as well and it spot on everytime.

All of the armor bundled versions are v1 toys. None of the renewals come packaged with armor sets.

Bummer... it does explain the high price the v2 are commanding though

Also make sure you check out Anymoon.com for all your review needs. The guy that runs it is a member here as well and it spot on everytime.

Will do, thanks! :)

Bummer... it does explain the high price the v2 are commanding though

Will do, thanks! :)

There's also VF5SS at CollectionDX.com. His are equally useful and he's a certified alpha male man stallion (it's on the internet, it's got to be true).

Hello, I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. I found this place by following the breadcrumbs from Anymoon.com (great site by the way!). I have a question that probably doesn't get more n00b than this:

Where does one go to buy a new, recent release Yamato VF-1?

From scouring these forums and Anymoon, I've heard of a few online places like HobbyLink Japan and Overdrive. However, those places show almost all of their VF-1 stock as discontinued, out of stock, backordered, etc. I've done some searching at Amazon, but some of the prices there seem rather high ($200-$300 range). I know these are high-end collectibles, but that price range seems rather high when a place like HLJ lists their prices closer to $100-150.

I've also looked on eBay, but it's bit overwhelming. Many of the sellers seem to be located in Hong Kong, and quite frankly I'm a little bit leery of dealing with any seller on eBay not in the US. Additionally, it's often hard to tell which version of the VF-1 they are selling based on some of the photos they post, and thus more difficult to discern whether it's one I want or one that should be avoided.

So I'm wondering if there is some super-secret online store that all of you are getting your product from that actually has toys in stock at reasonable prices? Or is eBay going to be my best bet? Is Yamato even still manufacturing new 1/60 VF-1s that will eventually make their way to restock the empty shelves?

Welcome! B)) Your best bet is to keep watch for end of year and summer sales at HLJ/Overdrive. They sell out fairly quick when they are new usually, but tend to re-stock and eventually---if you wait long enough--be cheaper by x-mas or the summer months...however..some NEVER get restocked and your screwed. Also check out Nippon-Yasen. Some guys really like them for Valks around here. Some of the best deals to be had are right here in the "For Sale or Trade" section here on MW. Keep a close watch on that as well. Don't do Ebay or Amazon on Yamato Valks..your're gonna get hosed in my opinion. Hope this helps! Ask more questions..all the guys around here are cool and will help you out. Although your wallet will HATE you from now on.... :ph34r:

Edited by derex3592

My question is around the version 2 vf1j Hikaru. Are all of them the tv version bright white or are some of them the off white dyrl color. I'm asking because I see some that say tv version and some that do not. I have a 30th 1J but want a second one to keep in the sealed box but want to make sure it's bright white. Anyone know? Also I already bought the replacement hinges in case I get a version that has the shoulder issue, I'm just concerned with the color. Also, many thanks to anymoon, I recommend any new collector study his site first and then start choosing your purchases.

I think there's only two versions of the Hikaru VF-1J and both have the same color white (Gray Goggle version, TV version). The gray goggle was also released with the GBP and the TV version with super parts so 4 total versions. Well, the TV version was then released again with "option parts" so 5 variants. Ebay may be your best bet at this juncture. Also, does my site still have Overdrive on it somewhere? They are defunct so I need to remove it if it does.

Welcome! B)) Your best bet is to keep watch for end of year and summer sales at HLJ/Overdrive. They sell out fairly quick when they are new usually, but tend to re-stock and eventually---if you wait long enough--be cheaper by x-mas or the summer months...however..some NEVER get restocked and your screwed. Also check out Nippon-Yasen. Some guys really like them for Valks around here. Some of the best deals to be had are right here in the "For Sale or Trade" section here on MW. Keep a close watch on that as well. Don't do Ebay or Amazon on Yamato Valks..your're gonna get hosed in my opinion. Hope this helps! Ask more questions..all the guys around here are cool and will help you out. Although your wallet will HATE you from now on.... :ph34r:

Thanks! I just checked the Nippn Yasan website, and they seem to have several models of Yamato 1/60 VF-1s in stock for around $100 or so.

I think there's only two versions of the Hikaru VF-1J and both have the same color white (Gray Goggle version, TV version). The gray goggle was also released with the GBP and the TV version with super parts so 4 total versions. Well, the TV version was then released again with "option parts" so 5 variants. Ebay may be your best bet at this juncture. Also, does my site still have Overdrive on it somewhere? They are defunct so I need to remove it if it does.

There is a reference to Overdrive on this page. You don't quite say that it's defunct though, just that you no longer use them because they are no longer focusing on their web site.

http://anymoon.com/blog/?page_id=2286

Just for kicks, I checked out their site prior to writing my original post above. It's a bit unclear whether some of their product is in stock or not. Several items have big "ORDER STOP" graphics overlaid, presumably to indicate they no longer carry that item. Other items appear to be in stock when you click the "BUY NOW" link, and will add the item to your cart accordingly, but when you click on the actual product description there's an "out of stock" graphic at the bottom of the page. This is the case with their Yamato 1/60 Hikaru VF-1A.