Limited Exclusives

Renato

This reminds me of an article I read on BBC news a couple days ago: CD/DVD lifespan is much shorter than thought. Something on the order of 2 to 4 years.

Here's the article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8711747.stm

I've heard that before and I'm very skeptical of that. I have CDs that date back to 1992 that I have regularly listened to on a multitude of different home stereos, boom boxes, portable CD players and computers and they sound every bit as good as they did almost 20 years ago. As for DVD, the first DVD I ever bought was City of Lost Children back in 1999 or 2000. I just watched it recently and didn't notice any kind of degradation at all. I'm sure digital media does have a life span, everything does, but 2 to 4 years sounds like hooey. Of course I am aging too, so maybe my eyes and ears are degrading at the same exact rate as the CDs and DVDs which causes me to not notice. :p

Are those CDs and DVDs recordable? (either 1 time or rewriteable)

I guess I read the article too fast, I didn't realize it specifically meant writable/Re-writeable discs. Stories I've read in the past mentioned this in a more general sense, including regular CDs & DVDs. I think the oldest burnt CD (1-time, not re-writeable) that I have is from about 2001 and contains audio. I actually just made a copy of it last week and it sounded fine. What's the word on floppy storage? I just found a 3" floppy disk recently that had photos on it from 1998 or so. They looked fine, but they weren't hi-res in the first place.

This should be in the sceince/technology thread, shouldn't it? >_<

To chime in this turned topic,

G-man: about the size of the house I can relate back in Japan I was packing stuff away as tight as a suitcase.

After the move back stateside its nice to have three garages and one all to myself. B))

Also with you and Bri both said about costs it gets harder to keep up "per-se" with what you want to buy.

Just look at the way things have been going for a long time now.

Early bird sales, and preorder discounts are almost the norm across the net. (And they are quite rewarding)

Sure I've got a little disposable income but, that spending has to be replenished just to keep at it with the normal s?ales.

But you add e-tailer exclusives and POW that cash goes fast.

So while I get the reasoning behind it all, they shouldn't forget the small guy who put them in the spotlight in the first place.

Cause believe it or not we outside Japan buyers do play some part (maybe a small one) in the game of collecting.

I'm all for running market tests, but when you know an item will sell just from the buzz it gets here, ya gotta go for the kill.

Like Renato, I also love being able to walk past my bookshelf full of Macross books, or stare at my display cabinet full of Macross toys, even if I don't play with them much these days. However, with the flood of Macross products released over the past decade, things have reached saturation point and I'm now forced to pick and choose what to display and what to store as there is now too much stuff to display it all at once.

Unlike are US members and again similar to Renato, I'm also used to being able to travel a short distance to visit dozens of hobby shops, so this online web exclusive thing is a bit of a shock to me and takes some getting used to.

Graham

Like Renato, I also love being able to walk past my bookshelf full of Macross books, or stare at my display cabinet full of Macross toys, even if I don't play with them much these days. However, with the flood of Macross products released over the past decade, things have reached saturation point and I'm now forced to pick and choose what to display and what to store as there is now too much stuff to display it all at once.

Unlike are US members and again similar to Renato, I'm also used to being able to travel a short distance to visit dozens of hobby shops, so this online web exclusive thing is a bit of a shock to me and takes some getting used to.

Graham

Agreed, you only have so much room to work with, it gets hard finding good cases to display them in and an area to put those cases in too.

I still have another set of shelves to put together for another toyline to display aside from Macross. :p

But still I don't want them to stop making the toys accessable either, its an endless battle. :D:p

I've heard that before and I'm very skeptical of that. I have CDs that date back to 1992 that I have regularly listened to on a multitude of different home stereos, boom boxes, portable CD players and computers and they sound every bit as good as they did almost 20 years ago. As for DVD, the first DVD I ever bought was City of Lost Children back in 1999 or 2000. I just watched it recently and didn't notice any kind of degradation at all. I'm sure digital media does have a life span, everything does, but 2 to 4 years sounds like hooey. Of course I am aging too, so maybe my eyes and ears are degrading at the same exact rate as the CDs and DVDs which causes me to not notice. :p

Not ture, once not so long ago I've watched a documentary about DVDs. One of the experts said the DVD life span is up to 100 years.

I actually backup my audio CDs, so I only keep the copies in my car and the originals on my shelf at home. I know no Ipod in my car wtf? I actually have an old Ipod but I'd rather not have someone try to steal it. I do use a cheap (cheap, in case I fall and break it) MP3 player on my motorcycle though. I have some CDs from like 98 and they're still working but I know a few have started to skip and I've replaced them. I imagine factory DVDs and CDs will last a lot longer? I know my copies of Diablo 1&2 still work :D

I've made a new commitment not to buy any PVC collectibles anymore. I hear they decompose pretty quickly depending on environmental conditions. I've never experienced anything personally even from my old(99) JP Gundam MSiAs but I'd like not to waste money on something that becomes gelatinous ooze.

I just got hit by the exclusivity hammer. The new RD Jegan is Tamashii only. Pretty annoying, I'd like to get three but since it's going to be such a hassle I'll probably only get one if any. I wish HLJ could work out some kind of deal with Bandai like they have with Yamato. This does not bode well for my chances on the RD White Dingo GM Sniper II and that's even more frustrating.