44 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching this Highlander reboot?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should Highlander be rebooted?

• Yes - just so that we can bury Endgame and The Source.
    • No - There Can Be Only One!

It's been announced that the Highlander franchise will be rebooted with a new film titled Highlander: The Reckoning. But this time, it will be produced by Neal H. Moritz (The Fast and the Furious series) and directed by Justin Lin (The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift and Fast & Furious). Here's an excerpt from an interview with Moritz on the reboot:

Q: I want to jump into Highlander. You mentioned Justin is going to probably direct it.

Moritz: Yes.

Q: Are you guys...is it a clean slate or are you guys trying to incorporate anything from previous…?

Moritz: We're staying true to the mythologies as a whole of the Highlander series. Now there are certain things between all the different Highlanders that conflict with each other, but we're trying to stay true to the core of what we believe Highlander is and it's a movie that's going to be made for the fans of Highlander but also for people who are new to the franchise.

Q: I loved the first Highlander movie. Are you guys...is it a reboot or is it incorporating anything from the previous films?

Moritz: I wouldn't necessarily call it…I guess it would be closer to a reboot than anything else but there's a great history of Highlander that we're staying with and it's an origin story.

Q: Are you even thinking about the Queen music and possibly doing…

Moritz: Maybe, maybe. We love the Queen music and we'll see what happens.

Exclusive - Producer Neal H. Moritz on Highlander Reboot

The film is currently in development hell

Edited by areaseven

I was like "oooh, there's a highlander reboot?" but then I saw the Director and Producer...

I think I'll just live with my memories of the tv series. Maybe I'll be surprised though. Thanks for posting areaseven, I hadn't run across this info yet so I might have missed it completely.

It seems like all Hollywood can do these days is sequels and reboots. I knew there was a reason I stopped paying for movies.

Does anyone really expect this new movie to better than the series? The series was better than even the original movie, which although good for its time has not aged well.

Loved the first film. Loved the series (except for the final sixth season, that was horrid). Skeptical because of the fast/furious thing but the Queen music will give it bonus points if they keep it.

Of course Queen is out. If the Fast & Furious guys are involved, the new beat will be some sort of hip-hop-electronica-regueton! I live my life quarter mile at a time... oh yea I'm immortal too.

Ramirez: "The horse is yours."

MacLeod: "What?"

Ramirez: "You work for me now. You think I'd let you roll in a Hyundai?"

MacLeod: "Nice sword. What's the retail value of it?"

Random Immortal: "More than you can afford, pal. Claymore."

Ramirez: "Smoke 'em."

Edited by areaseven

Ramirez: "The horse is yours."

MacLeod: "What?"

Ramirez: "You work for me now. You think I'd let you roll in a Hyundai?"

MacLeod: "Nice sword. What's the retail value of it?"

Random Immortal: "More than you can afford, pal. Claymore."

Ramirez: "Smoke 'em."

still better than highlander 2...

Only really like the first movie and first couple seasons before they jumped the shark.

I hate hate hate reboots, though. Go to a certain point of view or just creatively ignore what came before maybe but no reboot

Im al for a reboot of Highlander,it really is a film that altho excellent,couldn't be brought to its full potential. altho, I DO NOT have faith in the Fast & the Furious scribes/directors to do it.

and were are they gonna find another Scottish Egyptian.

I understand the premise, but I just want a concrete answer what the heck The Prize is. Knowledge, mortality, reproduction, whatever.

Going by the first movie it would appear to be ultimate knowledge.

Personally I prefer the world they created in the series where they don't really know and are just fighting because those are the rules. There might not even be any prize waiting for them at all.

EDIT: I refuse to accept the crappy movies as part of the story. In fact, I refuse to accept any of the movies of part of the story and just stick to the series.

Edited by macross_fan99

Of course Queen is out. If the Fast & Furious guys are involved, the new beat will be some sort of hip-hop-electronica-regueton! I live my life quarter mile at a time... oh yea I'm immortal too.

That original Queen Score is awesome. First Movie is awesome too. Yes it is so dated! You can't escape 1985-86 in that movie. The Movie could have been made in any year and still work if some really high quality people are behind it. I seriously doubt the Fast & Furious gang are capable of the that. This movie will look (ten years later) just a dated but totally sucking for all time.

Here we are! Born to be kings...

<Disc Scratch>

Yeeeeah.... yeah... Daddy Yankee, yea, Eminem, yea Lil John, El Chombo... ooooook!

chick chorus: Quien es el immortaaaal?

Yo soy el immortal

chick chorus: Quien es el immortaaal?

Yo soy el immortal

chick chorus: Quien es el imortaaaal?

Yo soy el immortal

Back from the D yo, my life is so hard cuz i'm an immortal,

i do this crap every day since befo' 8 mile was named,

i look at dah Mirror and don't recognize dis sh!t,

<insert generic eminem crap about his family being nuts,

I mean all his songs are basically the same :p>

chacarron! macarron! chacarron! u bwa bwa bwa bwa

bwa bwa bwa bwa bwa bwa.

<repeat>

(I have not quit my day job -Ghost Train)

Edited by Ghost Train

• 1 year later...

Justin Lin has opted not to direct the Highlander reboot due to his commitments to The Fast and the Furious 6 and Terminator 5. Taking over the director's chair is Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, who is best known for 28 Weeks Later. Fresnadillo is also working on a reboot of The Crow.

Director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo Confirmed for Highlander

Oh boy, 28 weeks later. The movie where the Zombie dad intuitively always knew where his kids were. In fact, he was a lot less of a deadbeat dad when he was dead. And how the hell did he make it back through all those secuirty doors it took to reach his wife? That guy directing? No thank you!

Childhood memories getting crapped on left and right.

First it was Conan, and now even Highlander. I would've liked to save judgment for until after the movie comes out, but the new Conan did not exactly fill me with hope about 80's reboots.

I'll stick with the DVD's of the original movies, thank you.

#edited for typos.

Edited by GU-11

I'm a fan of the concept of Highlander, but not of how it was executed. I don't see the original movie as the classic most think it is; it's poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly acted. I actually do like the TV series. A reboot for me, if done right, might be worth seeing. But I can't vote on this until we see what this reboot will look like.

First it was Conan, and now even Highlander.

The original Conan (director's cut, thank you) is epic. Highlander was never in the same league as Conan.

Liked the first movie, liked the TV show, hated everything else Highlander, reboot's gonna suck. Guess I don't really have anything else to add to the discussion, but what else is there to say?

I actually kind of like highlander II in the sense that it's so stupid it becomes funny to watch.

So, has anyone watched the Highlander Anime? I never actually took the time to sit down and watch it so I can't really comment on if it's good.

So, has anyone watched the Highlander Anime? I never actually took the time to sit down and watch it so I can't really comment on if it's good.

Watched it, and I can only say that it's a mixed bag. The plot is nothing groundbreaking, but definitely better than Endgame. Basically, it's set in a futuristic post-apocalyptic New York, and begins during the Roman invasion of Britannia. A Britannic rebel named Colin seeks vengeance against a Roman general named Marcus [who achieves immortality after being assassinated by Colin's wife Moya] for the slaughter of his village and his wife. Colin is made immortal after being captured by the Romans in a botched camp infiltration and killed by Marcus. The rest of the story involves him tracking Marcus through the ages and getting his ass handed to him every time until the final showdown.

Character-wise, it's not bad. The key characters are sufficiently developed, and Marcus being the arrogant Roman that he is makes for an interesting antag--dangerous, stuck-up, and almost playful in his treatment of Colin. That said, he's also rather cliched in his villainy.

The English voice over is mediocre at best with quite a bit of inaccuracy--the Britannic rebels sound just like the Scottish warriors Colin later acquaints himself with, and the Roman soldiers speak with a Cockney accent. Go figure.

Overall, it's worth a watch. If you could stomach Endgame, this is well above the decent line.

Edited by GU-11

The unfortunate reality is there will always be reboots, of almost everything under the sun. This has been happening since before Shakespearean times. There will always be new takes on old stories....

However, I doubt we will see a decent reboot of Highlander in our lifetime.

I've pretty much resigned to the fact that Highlander will mever be good ever again. I don't think there has ever been a franchise so badly handled. I loved the first one, I screamed at the 2nd, i was generally indifferent about the 3rd, i vomited at the 4th, and i didn't even know the source movie existed until i stumbled across a video online of the villian drilling himself into the ground.

Add to the fact that I loath the entire idea of remakes. If a movie was good enough to invest money into a remake, why not just rerelease the original?

For some good video reviews of the mess that is Highlander check out The Spoony Experiment