HG and Robotech Debates

Hahaha, yeah, what the hell was wiki leaks in regards to me putting up a picture? I mean honestly, who really gives a $h!t about the pic? They're more concerned with tryig to develop a conspiracy about it. Out of decency, I've been avoiding spreading it out who actually gave it to me, and I'm sure the person has since forgot they did, but if this starts to get out of hand, I might have to put it to rest and just let it out. I don't have any loyalty to the one who gave these to me. LOL, This all has been a big joke,,, but with today off, I did find the additional pics and will put them up later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Because this like the iphone prototype being left in a bar. At least that's what memo is hinting at.

Left in a Bar?

If that's the case lets hope they leave all the Macross licensing paperwork in a bar and Seto finds it.

Eh... mind you, it's not like Harmony Gold hired just anyone who put in for the post of Creative Director. Tommy might be a self-righteous hack on an epic ego trip, but he's not completely without credentials. He's supposedly from a good art school, though admittedly that's no guarantee of talent. He also had prior experience in (badly) imitating a manga aesthetic. The biggest problem with making Tommy the creative director is that he has pretty much no experience with mecha and SF. Prior to getting involved in Robotech, his one specialization was making cheesecake-heavy action comics. That's not exactly an ideal skill set to have when your task is to try to salvage a terminally-mismanaged mecha/SF franchise that only ever met with lukewarm success after its inept "creator" spent the better part of 15 years finding new and interesting ways to run it into the ground.

Tommy's no mechanical designer, and he's certainly no writer... but that he's actually managed to do what his predecessor couldn't and overcome incompetence and a crippling lack of originality to squeeze out a sequel is oddly impressive...

That does not sound like a very unique resume for someone HG would handpick for a Creative Something or Other these days, or back when the decision was made. You may have described almost every person working in the comic book industry that hasn't stood out from the rest. At this point, maybe anyone else could have been put in the same position with similar results a la Shadow Chronicles. The only difference is that people would be obsessing about a different person of questionable credentials but given a position with a cool, if now meaningless, sounding name.

Edited by Einherjar

after thinking about why such a non-important image has been made into a big deal by some RT fans, is this really the only "big news"???

In a word, "yes".

But, there is a more logical reason why someone is already pointing fingers and trying to focus all this on Tom, a guy who I respect, and someone I wouldn't put under the bus. It's because these images came from Memo

Oh ho! Yeah, that would certainly explain why MEMO is so eager to point fingers, he wants to take advantage of the uproar to get in good with Tommy by vilifying Tom and making this out to be some kind of conspiracy to undermine Tommy's "new Robotech". Really... knowing that MEMO is doing this to cover his own (perceived) indiscretion makes everything fall into place.

Because this like the iphone prototype being left in a bar. At least that's what memo is hinting at.

Left in a Bar?

If that's the case lets hope they leave all the Macross licensing paperwork in a bar and Seto finds it.

Barhopping with a guy like MEMO is kind of a horrifying prospect... especially after knowing how the guy behaves when he's sober. Who knows? I might be able to exert the ominous influence MEMO says I have over Harmony Gold's legal dept. to get them to fork over those papers. After all, according to him I have enough clout there to get them to send cease and desist notices to any Robotech fan project that displeases me. :rolleyes:

That does not sound like a very unique resume for someone HG would handpick for a Creative Something or Other these days, or back when the decision was made. You may have described almost every person working in the comic book industry that hasn't stood out from the rest.

Oh, I'll grant you that Tommy's resume wasn't exactly remarkable when he was hired on by Harmony Gold, and that it's gotten progressively less remarkable since, but I do think there was one factor that made him stand out in the sea of nobodies whose minimal/nonexistent design talent, lackluster writing ability, and lack of originality made them eminently qualified to serve as Robotech's creative director... he actually wanted the job.

He claims, on his HG staff bio, that Robotech is what inspired him to attend art school instead of entering UCLA's School of Engineering. Tommy was a fan, and that was probably his main motivation to apply for the creative director job. Knowing Robotech's history, I doubt it was a highly sought-after position... what with the previous creative director having presided over a string of embarrassing failures that further blackened the franchise's already-dire rep as a relic of the obsolete rewrite process.

Barhopping with a guy like MEMO is kind of a horrifying prospect... especially after knowing how the guy behaves when he's sober. Who knows? I might be able to exert the ominous influence MEMO says I have over Harmony Gold's legal dept. to get them to fork over those papers. After all, according to him I have enough clout there to get them to send cease and desist notices to any Robotech fan project that displeases me. :rolleyes:

My money is on he acts like Frasier Crane when drunk.

Have no fear A7, my churrasco is legendary. Next MW con should be in Miami!

I promise no LEAK will occur on my watch.

You should let the leaks occur, let them come from everywhere, :huh: I'm sure no matter where they come from, even if from Memo through Tommy, it'll somehow be Tom Bateman's fault. :wacko:

Miami does sound like a fun place to have a party though, sun, bikinis, and Valkyries galore. We could have a Valk girl competition.

You should let the leaks occur, let them come from everywhere, :huh: I'm sure no matter where they come from, even if from Memo through Tommy, it'll somehow be Tom Bateman's fault. :wacko:

Miami does sound like a fun place to have a party though, sun, bikinis, and Valkyries galore. We could have a Valk girl competition.

Somebody just uploaded the picture of the Hover Cyclones and are making a discussion on it over at the RT/Macross section of Palladiums forum. :o

Edited by Moly_Sigang

Somebody already uploaded the picture of the Hover Cyclones and are making a discussion on it over at the RT/Macross section of Palladiums forum. :o

Well, if I get a C&D from HG, they'll probably go out to that person as well. If they wanted the image down, I think they would've contacted me to take them down. The fact that it's been awhile already, they're probably glad that I'm indirectly promoting interest in new Robotech mecha. Didn't really think of that till now, but oh well. My opinion is stil that it's good stuff.

Somebody just uploaded the picture of the Hover Cyclones and are making a discussion on it over at the RT/Macross section of Palladiums forum. :o

Yeah... it was 1st Border Red Devil, though it looks like he removed the images a while ago for some unexplained reason, I assume Palladium got on his case for posting them since they're on that "don't covert other people's stuff to our game system" kick.

Well, if I get a C&D from HG, they'll probably go out to that person as well. If they wanted the image down, I think they would've contacted me to take them down. The fact that it's been awhile already, they're probably glad that I'm indirectly promoting interest in new Robotech mecha. Didn't really think of that till now, but oh well. My opinion is stil that it's good stuff.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Any news about HG that doesn't come directly from HG is bad news. I'm pretty sure it's their company motto.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Any news about HG that doesn't come directly from HG is bad news. I'm pretty sure it's their company motto.

Granted, that usually seems to be their position... though at this point, with even the more loyal fans growing increasingly disgruntled with the lack of forward motion on Shadow Rising and the live action movie and directly challenging the word of MEMO, Maverick, and even McKeever himself, I guess they're thankful for whatever good (distracting) press they can find... even if it does come from "the adversary".

In that case, no news is good news - since that is all we ever get from HG...

The more I see of what Shadow Chronicles might have been, the more I think that a policy of "no news is good news" could be taken more literally than the remark ought to be. For many of the old-timey Robotech fans, the lack of news basically means that Tommy won't be raping Carl's legacy any further in the foreseeable future. For the newer fans, it just means they're not going to have to suffer a Shadow Chronicles sequel anytime soon. In a way, no news is the best thing for Robotech right now. :rolleyes:

I am kind of amused how, on chatting with several old-timey Robotech fans the other day, they have a tendency to refer to Carl's series as Robotech and the franchise as it stands today as "Robotech" (with quotes)... guess their contempt for Tommy runs so deep that they'll disown the franchise as a whole before admitting that Tommy's done anything that improved its situation. :rolleyes:

Stop talking about people like MEMO and LSC like they're actually important to Robotech or anything. This is *shudder* Tommy Yune's franchise, the rest are useless except for doing shallow Internet troll games.

Yes, I know... everybody knows those idiots have less of an influence on Robotech than the coffee stirrers in the Harmony Gold employee break room. It's just that since Tommy seems strangely reluctant to address concerns about the franchise himself, he relies on that idiot brigade to do it for him... usually it works, but empty promises and placating remarks have been losing their effectiveness of late, which is a good barometer for measuring the mood of the fanbase. The "shallow internet games" are, amusingly enough, pretty much Harmony Gold's primary form of public/customer relations. They're catching flak from all sides these days, so they were probably quietly thankful for the distraction Jason provided.

What if we're all wrong, and right now Tommy & Steve are sitting on 100% completed storyboards for the completion of an epic Robotech storyline just waiting to be greenlit for production....

lol.

I just skimmed through RT.com forums, and it seems Rhade is convinced that the Macross franchise is ending and that Kawamori supposedly stated this. Where is this rumor coming from? :angry:

Edited by Moly_Sigang

I just skimmed through RT.com, and it seems Rhade is convinced that Macross is ending and that Kawamori supposedly stated this. Where is this rumor coming from? :angry:

He also claimed there was an interview where Kawamori said he wasn't interested in the western market. And that Kawamori had flatly stated before that there was only one SDF-1 type ship.

None of this is true. Nor is it even rumored.

I may be wrong, but I believe Rhade is simply making it up. :mellow:

I just skimmed through RT.com forums, and it seems Rhade is convinced that the Macross franchise is ending and that Kawamori supposedly stated this. Where is this rumor coming from? mad.gif

Memo uses inception to plant idea's into robotech.com forum members heads.

I just skimmed through RT.com forums, and it seems Rhade is convinced that the Macross franchise is ending and that Kawamori supposedly stated this. Where is this rumor coming from? :angry:

Right...this with the second Frontier movie premiering in Japan next February... :rolleyes:

I'd call it empty talk to provoke a response here, gods have RT fans gotten so desperate that they are pulling bs out of the air to see if it sticks?

Hey trollers, I'm an old school RT'er...who realized that the franchise has the same chance of something new as the Titanic has of arriving to port. Stop talking trash and open your eyes to something new. You don't have to hate Robotech to enjoy Macross.

If the day ever comes when there is something new to really talk about RT, have at it...until then enjoy what has been provided to you and drop the drama...

Edited by Zor Primus

As someone who is both a Macross fan and Robotech fan, I felt I should sign up here because the BS coming from the RT.com forums and the poo coming from Memo at RTX.com is just ridiculous. Sure seeing a new pic (that should have been in the RTSC art book) was neat but making it out to be some scandal like Memo is doing at RTX is absurd. I mean come on seriously. Sure I would like to see something new from Robotech but if this is supposed to be a distraction, then it failed because all it is doing is just making people more frustrated with Robotech.

That said, someone earlier mentioned a new Macross frontier coming out. That is something to look forward to.

Edited by Richardmvela

OH GOD, WHY!?!

vl65u.gif

Yeah...that pic somes up allot of what is coming from HG lately...wtf was Minmei thinking??? Taking steroids like that just for a swimsuit issue... :unsure:

Hey Richard, the new Frontier I spoke of was a second movie :) Check out the thread here

Edited by Zor Primus

Thanks for the heads up Zor. One of the hardest things for me as a Macross fan is that I am not a fan of subs. I know many fans are, just not my thing. My anime collection is proof hat I am a true anime fan though lol. I just wish we could see more english stuff here. We have Macross, Macross II, Macross Plus, and I think that's it. So it's definitely frustrating but I made my way through Frontier episodes so I may grind this movie out. Back on topic, why is Memo making this such a big deal with the whole pic thing?

Thanks for the heads up Zor. One of the hardest things for me as a Macross fan is that I am not a fan of subs. I know many fans are, just not my thing. My anime collection is proof hat I am a true anime fan though lol. I just wish we could see more english stuff here. We have Macross, Macross II, Macross Plus, and I think that's it. So it's definitely frustrating but I made my way through Frontier episodes so I may grind this movie out. Back on topic, why is Memo making this such a big deal with the whole pic thing?

Subs rock, there is very rare instances where I'll accept a dub...Trigun and Evangelion I think are where I drew the line...it takes a while but once you get used to it hearing the original language with the proper translations is where its at.

As for Memo, your guess is as good as mine...personally I think he would do himself a favor if he apologizes for being such a drama queen and liar, then hit the "nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure" button on himself and hope for rebirth.

A real RT fan would have enjoyed those pics and would have preferred to actually discuss said pics instead of pointing fingers falsely and continued to extend the drama beyond any reasonable person's mind.

Easy... it's coming from the same source as everything else Rhade says... his ass. The guy is a massive phony who, like many vocal defenders of Robotech, is long on rhetoric and short on actual fact. He knows very little about Robotech and even less about Macross, but tries to appear well-informed by passing off his wild guesses as fact and parroting things he's heard from people who actually know what they're talking about.

In fact, he once posted a warning about a six year old computer virus as though it were the next big threat and then tried to cover his ignorance by claiming it was so new that none of the major antivirus providers had posted anything about it, that he's gotten samples of the virus's source code via MSDN, and that he was a freelance data security engineer employed by Microsoft, McAfee, and Symantec simultaneously. (His real profession is a mid-level hotel manager)

That should give you an idea of what kind of guy you're dealing with and the reliability of his information. :rolleyes:

As someone who is both a Macross fan and Robotech fan, I felt I should sign up here because the BS coming from the RT.com forums and the poo coming from Memo at RTX.com is just ridiculous.

Welcome aboard, Rich... long time no chat!

That said, someone earlier mentioned a new Macross frontier coming out. That is something to look forward to.

Yup... the second Macross Frontier movie, Macross Frontier: the Wings of Goodbye, is due out this coming February. There's also a Macross Frontier prequel called Macross the Ride that's coming out as a serialized novel, and a few manga titles besides... and that's just the stuff relevant to Macross Frontier. There's more beyond that, like Macross the First.

Back on topic, why is Memo making this such a big deal with the whole pic thing?

Because it's an easy opportunity to vilify Macross fans, and Jasonc in particular... and to cover his ass because he's the one who originally gave out those images.