HG and Robotech Debates

Should we start taking bets on whether or not HG will import some copies of Ultimate Frontier? Or will they just find a game company that can badly rip it off???

Are we still on RT here?

I mean, the only things nowadays that get me revved up on RT is just the newly re-released PTTSC tome. That's all ... apart from usual RT marathon-watching the series that I had once a year & itty bitty fanfic I can conjure up (even that is far & between).

Truth be told, I'm more gear up towards Macross F: False Diva DVD release. RT, been there, done that. But Macross, HELL, there's a sequel to Macross F the Movie everyone been waiting!

RT: LAM, it its ever get made (ever :: as in subjective 'ever':: ), nahhh, Voltron LAM get the axed ... so I won't put much stock over RT LAM development.

Might as well better waiting for the retconned SDF: Macross just in case Kawamori revisited that old gem .... & decided to reboot the classic series ala SDF Macross shorts on the Macross pachinko games ....

SDF: Macross in line with new updated animation, retcons & ofcourse, Ai Oboetemas!

Gonna be a blast!

Should we start taking bets on whether or not HG will import some copies of Ultimate Frontier? Or will they just find a game company that can badly rip it off???

I don't think HG had the guts ... unless they've been making sweet deals with BW (fat chance in hell) & actually release a token version of Ultimate Robotech (ouch!) with only the SDF: Macross campaigns available.

Hmm, if there was more information about the LAM, like who the hell is actually working on it now and when it's coming out, then that would be worthwhile to know. Then again, whatever comes out of it is a licensed game of a movie, and we know how 99.99% of those games end up.

That story just sounds desperate, for Tommy and MEMO.

Edited by Einherjar

Isn't this what Uncle Carl would have wanted??

Being forced back into the arms of employment at HG? Maybe "Uncle Carl" ultimately got what he wanted?

Taksraven

Ooookay... I'm not sure why MEMO thinks this is a revelation or anything unexpected? It doesn't mean Warner's serious about the Robotech-in-name-only live action movie, it's standard practice for any film with merchandising potential. If they didn't retain merchandising rights to a movie they made and it became a hit, the stockholders would crucify them.

BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS!

WB HAS THE RIGHTS TO ROBOTECH LAM T-SHIRTS!

.......doublefacepalmn.th.jpg

Robetech LAM is actually going to be a video game with live action segments, sort of like those old 3DO games.

Something like Night Trap? You play an RDF Soldier who must keep Lisa, Minmei, Claudia, Sammy, Vanessa, and Kim safe while they're having a slumber party. :p

Something like Night Trap? You play an RDF Soldier who must keep Lisa, Minmei, Claudia, Sammy, Vanessa, and Kim safe while they're having a slumber party. tongue.gif

And watching you is Corey Haim....oh wait, that wouldn't work anymore....

BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS!

So two parties schedule an interview, one to promote the franchise through free advertising (exploitation) and the other to gain credibility with the same people and opponents he's always had, and a potential merchandising opportunity for a production in no way in production yet is the biggest thing to come out of the conversation?

That podcast is definitely Space Station Liberty 2.0, except more prepared to take cheap shots against opposition and in dual languages. They're all better off preparing for their show and dance performances for conventions like Comic Con like they do every year.

So two parties schedule an interview, one to promote the franchise through free advertising (exploitation) and the other to gain credibility with the same people and opponents he's always had, and a potential merchandising opportunity for a production in no way in production yet is the biggest thing to come out of the conversation?

Yep. And chances are, WB will contract out the game to an actual development studio. The toys will be contracted out to a toy manufacturer, shirts will be contracted out to a clothing maker, etc....none of which should come to any surprise.

And I'm sure they're saving all the pomp and circumstance for their 2-hour bloc at AX-2010 and whatever they have at Comic Con.

Yep. And chances are, WB will contract out the game to an actual development studio. The toys will be contracted out to a toy manufacturer, shirts will be contracted out to a clothing maker, etc....none of which should come to any surprise.

And I'm sure they're saving all the pomp and circumstance for their 2-hour bloc at AX-2010 and whatever they have at Comic Con.

He could make Tommy Yune eating a sandwich look like a milestone at this point. :lol:

BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS!

TOMMY YUNE ORDERED A SANDWICH AT A COMIC CON CONCESSION STAND FOR $7.50! HE ATE IT ON HIS WAY TO THE ROBOTECH PANEL! THE TURKEY WAS DRY!

Edited by Einherjar

He could make Tommy Yune eating a sandwich look like a milestone at this point. :lol:

No no no. You have to point out the bleeding hemorrhaging obvious.

Robetech LAM is actually going to be a video game with live action segments, sort of like those old 3DO games.

No no no... they're gonna do the game first, and then make a shitty movie based on it and attach Uwe Boll to direct. It'll be like House of the Dead, just with giant robots.

BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS!

Y'know, I half-expect this to be headline news on RobotechX.com tomorrow.

Dammit guys... stop writing his material for him!

No no no. You have to point out the bleeding hemorrhaging obvious.

BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS! TOMMY YUNE BOUGHT A NEW PAIR OF SNEAKERS! WHAT COULD THIS MEAN FOR THE ROBOTECH LAM? :p

I'm just thinking loudly...

So Tommy's on a Spanish podcast. Well, there is no doubt at this point in the franchise's history and based on Robotech.com's traffic, the hardest of the hardcore Robotech fans come from South America... (don't they make 60% of RT.com's traffic or something?)

Why didn't Tommy and Memo appear on Dougbendo's podcast? I thought they were best of friends...

Memo also dropped news that Tommy's going to E3... this has probably got a lot of longtime fans really hard around the pants area... Of course, nobody realizes that Tommy will have to deal with the fact that "Robotech" as a game franchise isn't the same as it was when Battlecry came around... and that movie-tie in games in general SUCK HARD. Anyone see Iron Man 2, and the Transformers games?

Now people are speculating that the Robotech movie-tie in game will be in the same quality as WB's other multi-million dollar titles like DC Online and F3AR... Wow...

I'm reading too much into this...

:huh:

Hmmm...did I miss something? I thought you were a fan of Bendo's...

He was interesting three years ago until he went off the deep end. (or maybe I never noticed?) How're those Robotech parties you attended?

Edited by chrisk

So Tommy's on a Spanish podcast. Well, there is no doubt at this point in the franchise's history and based on Robotech.com's traffic, the hardest of the hardcore Robotech fans come from South America... (don't they make 60% of RT.com's traffic or something?)

Why didn't Tommy and Memo appear on Dougbendo's podcast? I thought they were best of friends...

Memo also dropped news that Tommy's going to E3... this has probably got a lot of longtime fans really hard around the pants area... Of course, nobody realizes that Tommy will have to deal with the fact that "Robotech" as a game franchise isn't the same as it was when Battlecry came around... and that movie-tie in games in general SUCK HARD. Anyone see Iron Man 2, and the Transformers games?

Now people are speculating that the Robotech movie-tie in game will be in the same quality as WB's other multi-million dollar titles like DC Online and F3AR... Wow...

I'm reading too much into this...

No, you're not reading too far into it. Most games from movies suck pretty bad. Now, as far as the news, as has been pointed out...really? Is it really big news? No, it isn't unless you're a half-witted fanboy. It may be interesting news, cool news, whatever, but c'mon. This is almost standard practice. I would've been shocked if it turned out that some other company kept those rights. That would've been more shocking.

In the end though, it still doesn't mean crap about the movie, nor does it validate that the movie is a for sure thing. It doesn't mean they're closer to getting it done either. This was probably just a simple agreement that was in the original contract WB and HG agreed to, so, in essence, it's old @$$ news. If the movie doesn't even get a green light, or never makes it to any sort of production, don't expect the game to come out anytime soon. The game is in the same thin thread as the actual movie.

He was interesting three years ago until he went off the deep end. (or maybe I never noticed?) How're those Robotech parties you attended?

I don't think Gubaba's ever been to a successful "Robotech Party". Then again, they don't really exist anymore. Those were way back when Razorx, his wife Valkyrie22, and I would throw them at our houses in the day. Since then, they've been very hard to come by.

On a sidenote, it's funny seeing people that once followed lil' douchebendo's people turning on his show. I've had 5 people I know that use to listen to his show throw him under the bus, and a one even has sent me his conversations via IM. Apparently, more people had listened all that time to get a laugh from him, more than get verifiable true content. I think he also tried to hit on said guy before he totally wrote him off. Good stuff. Anyways, nothing wrong with figuring out someones a 5150 (person w/ mental illness) and realizes that their message isn't for them.

Edited by Jasonc

He was interesting three years ago until he went off the deep end. (or maybe I never noticed?)

Oh yeah...back when he was called the guys from Destroy All Podcasts about twenty different epithets for "homosexual" and ranting about Tommy Yune's "flat face" and "small penis." Good times, good times. :wacko:

How's Memo treating ya?

Not bad, not bad at all. Although he's convinced that Noburo Ishiguro thinks Macross is terrible. I've tried to disabuse him of that notion, but no luck so far...

If the movie doesn't even get a green light, or never makes it to any sort of production, don't expect the game to come out anytime soon. The game is in the same thin thread as the actual movie.

Now that I think about it, the Robotech movie imdb page is a little optimistic...

Oh yeah...back when he was called the guys from Destroy All Podcasts about twenty different epithets for "homosexual" and ranting about Tommy Yune's "flat face" and "small penis." Good times, good times. :wacko:

Precisely why I left, Gub.

Give my regards to MEMO :wacko:

Edited by chrisk

Not bad, not bad at all. Although he's convinced that Noburo Ishiguro thinks Macross is terrible. I've tried to disabuse him of that notion, but no luck so far...

Huh? Where the hell did he come up with that?

Huh? Where the hell did he come up with that?

He got it from the interview with Ishiguro from the AnimEigo DVD set. Basically, at the beginning of the interview, Ishiguro says he turned on the TV and saw this dreadfully bad show...and then realized it was Macross. (I haven't watched the interview in a number of years...I might be getting some of it wrong, but that's the gist of it.)

Of course, it was meant by Ishiguro as a funny little anecdote to start the interview off with, not as a definitive, complete statement in and of itself. But Memo will take what he get where he can get it. ;)

I'm surprised RT.com still has... unsavory elements... :rolleyes:

Oh, it's RTX. I'd never join RT.com. But (according to SOME people) RTX is run by Macross Purist conspirators, so it's a-okay. :p

Um... there was never a time when that guy wasn't five beers short of a six pack dude... you must've just caught him during one of his brief interludes of not being a complete jackass. He hasn't changed one jot in the seven or so years since I first met him back during the days when Robotech.com wasn't a complete sack of crap.

Case in point...

Oh, it's RTX. I'd never join RT.com. But (according to SOME people) RTX is run by Macross Purist conspirators, so it's a-okay. :p

Who're you kidding? RTX is run by, and moderated by, the members of the Robotech lunatic fringe. The only reason Bendo hasn't been reinstated there and given a mod post too (like Maverick_LSC and JuanRT got) is because MEMO's co-admin SIGHUP said that the only way he'd permit it is if MEMO reinstated me too... something MEMO would NEVER EVER do because I exposed him as an ignorant ass far too many times for him to be comfortable with it.

I did find it funny that, after Bendo got banned from RTX he swore up and down he'd never go back... then just a few months later he tried creeping back under half a dozen different pseudonyms, only to get banned again each time, and topping it off by proclaiming that since they tossed him out the site must really be MacrossWorld 2.0.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Who're you kidding? RTX is run by, and moderated by, the members of the Robotech lunatic fringe. The only reason Bendo hasn't been reinstated there and given a mod post too (like Maverick_LSC and JuanRT got) is because MEMO's co-admin SIGHUP said that the only way he'd permit it is if MEMO reinstated me too... something MEMO would NEVER EVER do because I exposed him as an ignorant ass far too many times for him to be comfortable with it.

I wasn't trying to kid anyone, I was just being sarcastic (which is why I put the :p at the end of the sentence). A while back, some people were clamoring for Memo to get rid of SIGHUP, since he allowed too many "Macross Purists" to be on the site. One of the guys there is STILL worried that the site will never surpass this one. It's funny, isn't it?

I wasn't trying to kid anyone, I was just being sarcastic (which is why I put the :p at the end of the sentence). A while back, some people were clamoring for Memo to get rid of SIGHUP, since he allowed too many "Macross Purists" to be on the site. One of the guys there is STILL worried that the site will never surpass this one. It's funny, isn't it?

endless lulz

He got it from the interview with Ishiguro from the AnimEigo DVD set. Basically, at the beginning of the interview, Ishiguro says he turned on the TV and saw this dreadfully bad show...and then realized it was Macross. (I haven't watched the interview in a number of years...I might be getting some of it wrong, but that's the gist of it.)

Of course, it was meant by Ishiguro as a funny little anecdote to start the interview off with, not as a definitive, complete statement in and of itself. But Memo will take what he get where he can get it. ;)

I remember the part of the interview you're talking about. It's a hell of an out-of-context quote if that's where he got the idea from.

The way I recall it, he was talking about how badly the originals were showing their age(and by extension, how badly the remastering job Animeigo had done was needed). Basically, the film had deteriorated so much that he didn't recognize his own show on the television.

The best american comparison is probably the pre-remaster Star Wars reruns, where the skies of Tatooine are a perfect match for it's desert sands instead of blue like a sky is supposed to be.

BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS! SUPER ULTRA BIG NEWS DESU!

WB HAS THE RIGHTS TO ROBOTECH LAM MOVIE POSTERS!

Sorry, I had to.

I remember the part of the interview you're talking about. It's a hell of an out-of-context quote if that's where he got the idea from.

The way I recall it, he was talking about how badly the originals were showing their age(and by extension, how badly the remastering job Animeigo had done was needed). Basically, the film had deteriorated so much that he didn't recognize his own show on the television.

The best american comparison is probably the pre-remaster Star Wars reruns, where the skies of Tatooine are a perfect match for it's desert sands instead of blue like a sky is supposed to be.

It's called grasping straws. Won't surprise me if they pull more out-of-context footnotes as truth. :rolleyes: *Yawn*

I heard Robotech: The Untold Story found success in Chile, so it's possible.

If they were actually serious about it, I see no reason why they would make reports like this on a more legitimate news source for the anime/sci-fi industry instead, like the Anime News Network. It's one of the groups they still cater to these days, and it would generate more interest than using another small grassroots operation on the Internet like they've done in the past 5 years. Plus, you wouldn't have to keep coming back rationalizing the frequent stalls in productions that's plagued the franchise since Shadow Chronicles, like sicking Kevin McKeever on naysayers every few months (he still works in HG, right?); just do something in the mainstream public's eye and they'll eat it up for a while. And it's cheap as free too compared to convention panels.

I only saw a lot of that recently when Carl Macek died, and as people have commented, the sincerity seemed questionable in favor of attracting business opportunities.

It's called grasping straws. Won't surprise me if they pull more out-of-context footnotes as truth. :rolleyes: *Yawn*

It's nothing new... their whole counterargument against the Tokyo court system's rulings about the ownership of Macross and its contents was made of remarks made by Alan Letz and Tommy Yune taken out of context to a ridiculous degree. :rolleyes:

BIG NEWS! BIG NEWS!

The cast for the RT LAM has been announced!

You do realize the robotech fanbase will latch onto this as definate proof the movie is in production don't you? :)

It's nothing new... their whole counterargument against the Tokyo court system's rulings about the ownership of Macross and its contents was made of remarks made by Alan Letz and Tommy Yune taken out of context to a ridiculous degree. :rolleyes:

In regards to that issue, well, look at whom you are speaking about. That alone rest the entire case right there. It simply goes back to the issue of making people "find and show proof" when it's already been shown, and then hanging off every word HG says without any. If anyone was smart over there, they'd do the same thing and make HG show proof that they're doing stuff, that Shadow Rising is in "production", so on and so forth. They'd probably get banned for being disruptive, hahaha. What can you do? Common sense really isn't so common when you're a fanboy, esp. when it comes to Robotech. Just no happy medium.