Carl Macek

I just heard the news from Tommy Yune. How terrible for his family and friends. One small consolation is that they know the cause of death. It is extremely frustrating when LAPD spends 6 months and then says "whoops we dont know how he died"

I too remember watching robotech as a kid. I dont have clear memories of the plot or story. But the robots, oh man the robots were awesome. I loved the toys. albeit I never got to have them. Robotech was that carrot that dangled in front of me. I dont know how long it would have taken for me to discover macross without robotech in the back of my mind. I knew of the toys as a kid., I remember I discovered MW around 2000/2001. After buying a joke machine, trying to recapture my childhood. it all snowballed from there.

I now better understand Macek's necessary evil, and I agree that it changed people. myself included, for the better.

Robotech introduced me to Japanese animation and was one of my favourite cartoons when I was much, much younger, especially when they were re-aired in the mid 90s.

Thank you, Carl, may you rest in peace.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

If it wasn't for Carl Macek I would never have seen Robotech...that show was the trigger to many fandom. Thank you for that, your vision was to bring to America something new and exciting. He accomplished that. RIP Carl, you have finally begun your journey To the Stars...

I am another one who will admit that RT introduced me to Macross like so many people in the Western hemisphere. A bit off topic... but to me, it's not really RT but HG's general behavior that made me hate RT so much.

Anyways, I loved Bleach (where he worked on dubbing and scripts), and in some ways it reintroduced me to anime back in '07.

RIP, and condolences.

Terrible news. But I'm happy to see that in the end, all of us are agree with his contributions to anime and our lives. Thank you Carl, and rest in peace.

Edited by cool8or

Being in the UK, I had to come to Robotech (and, later, Macross) indirectly, through the RPG, but there probably wouldn't have been a RPG for me to find without people like Mr. Macek. I don't know nearly enough about what else he may have done later to really comment one way or the other...

I do not have the same connection to Macek that people who found Macross (or anime in general) through Robotech do, but it is always sad when someone dies, especially at such a relatively young age.

My condolences to his family and those close to him.

I'm saddened to learn of Macek's passing. I owe my anime experience to Macek as Robotech was the first anime that I'd seen that encouraged me to learn more about anime and Japanese culture in general. While Macross probably would've aired in other countries through Harmony Gold, it probably wouldn't have aired at all in the USA if it weren't for Macek's insistence. Thanks Carl.

I don't care if you liked the guy or not, but if you you don't want to pass any condolences, shut your mouth and move along. That includes replying to other posters as well.

And with our standard operating procedure regarding these kinds of threads, this thread will be closed later today.

I came to Macross and BattleTech over Robotech. For many years, Robotech was the only thing I knew about the Macross universe. For that alone, I owe a big, big debt of gratitude to Carl Macek. RIP and bon voyage, sir. May you find peace and contentment, whereever you may be now.

Wow.

I'm not pointing at anyone in general here, but all of the sudden Robotech/Carl Macek has changed everyone's lives? I just remember seeing nothing but negative about 'robotech'

His decisions surely changed my life.

RIP Carl.

Very shocking to hear that he passed away.

He and Tommy Yune and Steve Yune came by our office just a month ago.

They were doing interviews to us about Robotech and we had a lot of conversations.

I am very honored to talk to Carl, and I thank him to create Robotech brands

as my childhood inspiration that I become a toy designer.

Thank you Carl. Rest in peace.

This was shocking news. I just couldn't believe it. My condolences to your family and friends.

I am glad I got to meet him at Comic Con, such a great guy. With tons of stories! Thank you for everything, you will be missed.