Carl Macek

Condolences to the Macek family at this difficult time.

I have so many wonderful memories from my youth about Robotech and Macross, and I'm even a dedicated Macross fan to this day in large part because of this man and his great effort to bring Macross to the world outside of Japan. We often criticized him, even ridiculed him, but he deserves respect for what he accomplished with Robotech. A friend to us all for sure.

Rest in peace Mr. Macek. All respect to you dear friend.

...Jun Seba and now Carl Macek. Nujabes has moved me musically, and Carl Macek had introduced me to one of the very few things I'll forever be passionate about in life - Macross. R.I.P.

It will always be up to debate in the anime and in particular the Macross fan community on whether Carl Macek's treatment of various Japanese anime series (in particular his editing of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada into Robotech) was proper or a "necessary evil", but there is no denying the mark that he left on the mainstreaming of Japanese animation in the US during the 1980's and early 90's. Undoubtedly many of us here on Macross World are here because of his efforts and contributions.

I was chatting with Kevin McKeever (of Harmony Gold) just a few minutes ago and he was telling me about how he had just seen Carl this past week and was to meet up again with him later this week.

RIP Carl Macek! My prayers and condolences to your friends and family during this difficult time.

I'll freely admit it: I don't like Robotech, and my interest in anime was primarily a reaction against it. I think Carl Macek has been overvalued as a creator and a producer.

But...he brought Macross to me, and without that, I never would've started studying Japanese, I never would've met so many wonderful people here and elsewhere, and my life would be a lot poorer.

So thanks, Carl. You brought some good things into my life, although I didn't know it until today.

Thanks Carl, for bringing me Macross much sooner than I otherwise would have gotten it.

(I definitely would have gotten into Macross when Macross Plus was released here)

My sympathy goes to your family.

Nothing more to say......

Taksraven

For it to happen this year of all years is a bit weird. Would have thought that robotech.com would have something on their frontpage by now. (sorry, old habits die hard......) Unless I missed it. I know its being discussed in the forums.

Taksraven

I always thought of Carl Macek as a catalyst and not a pioneer. Everything I don't like about Robotech comes after the original series. Sure re-watching it doesn't hold up, but a lot of those old cartoons don't. And coming from the Philippines at that age, I already knew that NONE of the "japanimation" stuff were all adapted faithfully to the original source, so Macek was just doing what was a common practice back then (albeit to 3 different series instead of one.) I always thought that what they brought over rocked. You can only be bitter over Macek as much as you can get bitter over Transformers for not allowing us to get the original 1/55s in the states.

So his death comes as a shock because Robotech was a big part of my childhood. I don't think any other cartoon would have given me an excuse to run home a mile and a half just to get there at 3:36pm everyday. It's a shame that he never got beyond the shadow of Macross. But he took on something bigger than him and that something you can't say about everyone...

RIP.

this is pretty sad, RIP Carl, RT captivated me when i was a tike.

Were you in Qld when you first saw Robotech? Did you get all 85 episodes, or just the first 52 like we did in Sydney?

Taksraven

I LAUGH AND CRY AT THE SAME TIME

(EDIT TO ADD)

FOR REMEMBERING THE GOOD TIMES WITH HIM AND HIS SUPPORT OF THE FANDOM AND GONE THE NEXT DAY...

LOT OF THINGS I DO IN THE FANDOM IS BECAUSE OF THIS GREAT MAN. THROUGH ROBOTECH I GOT INTO MACROSS.

THANK YOU CARL MACEK.

Edited by MEMO1DOMINION

Like many others here, my introduction to Macross was through Robotech. I'm glad and thankful to Mr. Macek for recognizing that Japanese animation had value back in the 80's and that he worked to bring that to the US, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with his treatment of the material. Beyond that, it seems that he truly loved and championed sci-fi; and so, we've lost another pioneer.

Thanks, Carl. May you truly rest in peace.