Anime Expo 2010

OK, back from the first day. First off, MAY'N is gorgeous,,, and a sweetheart!!! I was in line for her panel with a friend, and we happened to see another MW member, Mitch there. I said hi to him, but he was way ahead of the line. Anywho, he let us get up in line with him, which was really cool. What ended up being a good trade off, was my buddy who is press there, was already inside, and saved two front row center seats and two 2nd row center seats to the panel. Also, my buddy who is press, got to take pics while May'n was doing the panel, and used my camera and his. I have probably about 50+ pics of her. Afterward was the autograph signing, and Mitch and I met up in line, got our respective CDs signed, and, well, what a ride. In the panel, May'n said that she was looking forward to having an American Hamburger, so when she was signing my case, I told her the obvious first, that I loved her music, voice, and her videos, then told her that for the best hamburger, to go to IN-N-OUT. Great first day. Also went to the Robotech panel, but that can go someplace where people are interested in that. Tomorrow, off to buy more cells, Macross posters, and a Sheryl PVC. Then stop at the car, then concert time.

May'n did say there will be some special things planned for the concert, so I'm gonna be really looking forward to this show. Here's one of many, many pics I took. From here, I only had to take two steps. You can tell how close we were. Oh, and sorry about the size. Haven't had time to resize. Just save it and fit it to a decent size you like.

post-582-127805913586_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

OK, back from the first day. First off, MAY'N is gorgeous,,, and a sweetheart!!! I was in line for her panel with a friend, and we happened to see another MW member, Mitch there. I said hi to him, but he was way ahead of the line. Anywho, he let us get up in line with him, which was really cool. What ended up being a good trade off, was my buddy who is press there, was already inside, and saved two front row center seats and two 2nd row center seats to the panel. Also, my buddy who is press, got to take pics while May'n was doing the panel, and used my camera and his. I have probably about 50+ pics of her. Afterward was the autograph signing, and Mitch and I met up in line, got our respective CDs signed, and, well, what a ride. In the panel, May'n said that she was looking forward to having an American Hamburger, so when she was signing my case, I told her the obvious first, that I loved her music, voice, and her videos, then told her that for the best hamburger, to go to IN-N-OUT. Great first day. Also went to the Robotech panel, but that can go someplace where people are interested in that. Tomorrow, off to buy more cells, Macross posters, and a Sheryl PVC. Then stop at the car, then concert time.

May'n did say there will be some special things planned for the concert, so I'm gonna be really looking forward to this show. Here's one of many, many pics I took. From here, I only had to take two steps. You can tell how close we were. Oh, and sorry about the size. Haven't had time to resize. Just save it and fit it to a decent size you like.

I second Shiorikaze's sentiment! lol. Great pic JasonC! Any chance of putting a more permanent gallery up somewhere once the AX madness is over?

OK, back from the first day. First off, MAY'N is gorgeous,,, and a sweetheart!!!

Good reporting, Jason! Please share more, you lucky guy! (P.S. - I got the poster file, thanks!)

I'll post up more pics when I'm done with all the madness. Gotta resize the pics so everyone can see them and not wait 20 mins to see just one. I'll also detail the questions that were asked at May'n's panel, as well as some highlights. For those coming down. Can't wait to meet you all later for dinner and drinks.

So it was Yoko Kanno. Now I have even more reason to kick myself. Hope you guys are having a blast. I'm watching the Macross Budokan DVD at the moment.

EDIT: So, trying to figure out a setlist from reports of twitter and some guy's (who seems about as familiar with what he just saw as a anyone reading a mere wikipedia entry. Wasn't even certain Kanno was the composer! God, that annoys the hell out of me) podcast, we've got Diamond Crevasse, What 'bout my Star duet, Aimo with Yoko Kanno, a medley, Styles ver. of Welcome to my Fanclub's Night, my Boyfriend is a pilot, Do You Remember Love, Lion, and Triangular. Sounds about right. Add in Infinity, Northern Cross, Universal Bunny, and Interstellar Flight, and just shoot me now. :rolleyes:

What'd you guys think? As if I'd have to ask. Hope the meetup goes well. My last shot to at least see the Megumi panel and get autographs fell through due to too many people backing out, so I'm definitely stuck here. Really wanted that launch poster signed, but oh well. I'll get over it eventually, I guess. About time I ramp up the job hunt and start planning a run to Japan. :lol:

Oh, and thanks for the report, Jasonc! Can you at least answer the question of which figure it was. I can't help but be curious. Though I still need to find Sheryl's hat...

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

i just got back and i have to say it was a blast. as this was my first time attending anything like this. i'm glad i was able to see them perform live, since who knows if i'll ever get a chance like this again. the convention itself was great too, never seen so many people dressed up in character. after today i'm just want to see more. wish i could make to the other days to sit in discussion panels etc.

To those at the Yardhouse meetup, sorry I couldn't make it, got tied up with other plans.

Anyway I just got back. In a word, BANANAS!!!!!!!!

As soon as I saw the piano on stage, I knew the surprise guess was Kanno-san. All three of them rocked the house. Hearing Kanno-san perform voices on piano for the second was magical. Megumi's rendition was surprisingly accurate. And the DYRL duet performance came out of nowhere. There wasn't ANYONE sitting down 90% of the time, except for the slower songs. The energy was FIERCE and the speakers were L-O-U-D-!!!! Surprise I didn't blow an eardrum lol. Lots people waiving those glowing mini lightsabers as well. Oh and the show started right on time and there were NO technical difficulties whatsoever. Everything went smooth.

I have to be honest, I just started watching Macross Frontier last night and I'm only up to episode 6. So some of the songs performed were totally unfamiliar to me. Despite that, they were great songs and I'm gonna see about buying the soundtrack. I really loved the performance of the song from the opening credits(can anyone tell me what it's called?).

Still can't believe Yoko Kanno came here to LA just to perform in the concert. It's a bit disappointing AX didn't try to get her as an official GoH. Last time she was here for AX was exactly 10 years ago if I remember correctly. Would have made a wonderful anniversary.

The opening songs are called Triangular, and Lion. Though the actual opening version of the song was done by Maaya Sakamoto (whom i saw perform at AX05).

Would've loved to have seen Voices. Is there an album recording of Megumi doing it or is this a live thing only?

I got there at 7:30AM and waited till they opened the registration booths, I didn't even wait 3 hours to get my badge and "ticket" despite technical troubles. Though I did wish they tell me that I need to redeem the real ticket at another booth with my "ticket" (had to run back and forth through a crowd :().

Compared to some years back (in Anaheim), there seems to be less people, nevertheless still a formidable crowd once noon passed. ALOT of excellent cosplayers this time around! Prices in the exhibit hall weren't as compelling as before, but alright. The convention probably handled most of the events better than before. This year marks my first return to AX after five years and it's probably the best year I ever had, although it was only one day...

I saw some concert-goers that I thought were MacrossWorld members, but I was too afraid to ask :(

I wish I could've met you guys.

Concert was incredible, having Yoko Kanno on the piano was just pure bliss. Also, maybe it's just me, but Nakajima sounds alot more "cuter" than before. Also, I'm ashamed to admit this but I laughed a bit when someone blew into their vuvuela a couple of times during the applauses.

Good to hear. ANN updated their post a bit. Forgot to add Ninjin loves you Yeah, and Voices (which I'm guessing was killer).

You forgot Sunshine Girl, Blue Ether, Anata no Oto, and Sou da yo (the Frontier movie song). That should be all the songs.

The opening songs are called Triangular, and Lion. Though the actual opening version of the song was done by Maaya Sakamoto (whom i saw perform at AX05).

Would've loved to have seen Voices. Is there an album recording of Megumi doing it or is this a live thing only?

I saw the Sakamoto concert too :)

There is a recording of a Nakajima version of Voices. However, the concert version had Yoko Kanno accompanying Nakajima on the piano (which is pieced together with Aimo) :).

Edited by shiroikaze

The only recording in the bootleg of the Tanabata Sonic concert. Which is a shame, but better than nothing.

You forgot Sunshine Girl, Blue Ether, Anata no Oto, and Sou da yo (the Frontier movie song). That should be all the songs.

No I didn't. You're just the first to report them.

I saw the Sakamoto concert too :)

Yeah, it was an awesome experience, though definitely tamer than anything I expect this was. I was so glad i used the event ticket for priority seating they gave out back then for it. Being able to actually see her made up for the lack of staging. The Kotoko concert that year being more enjoyable from further away.

There is a recording of a Nakajima version of Voices. However, the concert version had Yoko Kanno accompanying Nakajima on the piano (which is pieced together with Aimo) :).

Oh, I'm sure it doesn't compare, but would be interesting to hear. Guess I have a boot to track down. Who knows, maybe someone smuggled a recording of this one, as pale and puny a consolation that would be.

Lamenting to myself: There's grain in all my pictures :(. I forgot to change back the settings on my camera after I was messing with it before the concert :(.

No I didn't. You're just the first to report them.

Ah, okay.

Yeah, it was an awesome experience, though definitely tamer than anything I expect this was. I was so glad i used the event ticket for priority seating they gave out back then for it. Being able to actually see her made up for the lack of staging. The Kotoko concert that year being more enjoyable from further away.

The Sakamoto concert probably would've been more grand if she had more time, I remember that she barely arrived a couple days before the concert or something like that. Pretty neat that you got close seating.

As for the Kotoko concert, you didn't want to get involved in that mosh-pit forming in the front huh? :)

Edited by shiroikaze

Compared to some years back (in Anaheim), there seems to be less people, nevertheless still a formidable crowd once noon passed. ALOT of excellent cosplayers this time around! Prices in the exhibit hall weren't as compelling as before, but alright. The convention probably handled most of the events better than before. This year marks my first return to AX after five years and it's probably the best year I ever had, although it was only one day...

Crowds normally appear closer on the weekends or the day of Masquerade. My experience was Day 1)low crowds, no deals unless you are looking for something rare; Day 2) More people, more interesting panels, normally the same deals and now would be a good time to grab something because; Day 3) Crowds gallore, lots of stuff selling and long lines for Masquerade; Day 4) Crowds die off as the day goes on but deals are fairly high since merchants want to get rid of stock.

But that was in better times. Money is tighter these days.

Now the question I have is, was it a packed house for the concert?

Absolutely. Didn't see any empty seats, except for way up in the balcony/terrace areas. Looks like there are more fans than I thought.

Was the upstairs open to ticket holders?

Lamenting to myself: There's grain in all my pictures :(. I forgot to change back the settings on my camera after I was messing with it before the concert :(.

Ah, okay.

The Sakamoto concert probably would've been more grand if she had more time, I remember that she barely arrived a couple days before the concert or something like that. Pretty neat that you got close seating.

As for the Kotoko concert, you didn't want to get involved in that mosh-pit forming in the front huh? :)

If it's a digital camera, you mean noise, which is much more annoying that grain. How locked down was recording devices anyway?

Sakamoto was great, I just wish it had been a bit more than her standing alone on the stage, hence proximity making all the difference. I imagine that a lot of people got bored in the back.

As for Kotoko, I was pretty much stuck in the middle at that point. It was still rather awesome though. Afterwards, I had Wendee Lee think I was stalking her when my sister and I rode the escalator after greeting her. ^_^

I've calmed down considerably over the last few hours, but I'm not sure I'll ever not be peeved at missing this sucker. I guess I can say I was there in spirit at least.

This being my very first concert at AX. I was floored! I don't want to sound like a broken record but this concert was awesome with most of the crowd on its feet for almost the entire 2 hours errr pushing 2 + 1/2 hours. I'm strangely liking Nakajima's Sunshine Girl song a lot. Of course the Yoko Kanno addition was the epic icing on the already cool whipped cake. Nakajima and Kanno's combo for voices was pretty damn spot on too. Additionally I like to add that after the concert when May'n and Nakajims were leaving they just happened to pass by the hall I was waiting in and I got to see them up close even if it was for a brief 3 or 4 seconds I think I melted. :D

Do you guys suspect that since Kanno is here in LA, there's a possibility she will perform another seperate concert by herself in the coming days/weeks?

Also, since she's down here, perhaps we can ask someone with some clout, like say, Egan Loo, to try and persuade her to attend the MW Con in October. What do you think?

You know who I really really REALLY wanna see perform live, even more than Kanno? Michiru Yamane. I would literally wet myself if she ever threw a concert down here.

Hmm, I'm not sure on that one. Didnt see anyone so it probably wasn't.

I saw some people upstairs and on one of the balconies. Seems like they're reserved for staff and agents probably.

If it's a digital camera, you mean noise, which is much more annoying that grain. How locked down was recording devices anyway?

I've calmed down considerably over the last few hours, but I'm not sure I'll ever not be peeved at missing this sucker. I guess I can say I was there in spirit at least.

Who knows, maybe you'll get another chance somehow, somewhere.

As for the digital camera, yes, I mean noise (sorry). I accidentally left the camera's ISO setting at 1600 instead of default auto or lower. :(

Glad you had fun, Alex5. Conventions are pretty awesome things.

Negotiator, care to elaborate on what set Megumi apart. I always thought she'd been coming into her own, so I'd like to know.

I don't know what it was exactly. Initially wasn't excited to see Meg. I

I guess Meg came off very charming and worked with the audience

despite the language barrier. It could also be that half the time she was

backed by yokko. May'n was in no way bad, she was awesome I'm

just left thinking more about Meg after the show.

Maybe I will. Hopefully they get invited to another con (though I hear they sucked up a lot of AX's budget, though that might be including Kanno [the icing on the dammit it all cake ^_^]). Hell, maybe they might even do a US tour, however unlikely. It'd be killer to see them perform in San Francisco. I guess I can feel a little satisfied that I'm in the same state at least. ^_^

Yeah, that would make for some horrid regular shots. Though some newer one's handle it better (I can stomach 800 on my Dad's d60). Hopefully nothing ruined. Were you actually able to get any in concert shots?

Any one actually make it to the Yardhouse? I talked to UN Spacy, and he didn't make it, nor was contacted.

Thanks for the impressions, Negotiator. That seems to echo what Tochiro said about her last live.

I heard that some got to walk with them. Sounds awesome. i got to do similar with members of Gainax at Fanime this year. By the way, check the girls' blogs. may'n in particular posted some rather amusing images of her time in LA so far.

I'm going to watch that lousy camrip of the film for the heck of it. Seems as appropriate a day as any.

I have to say, that this was the first concert I've been to at AX, and it will forever be, the most memorable. May'n did a great set of the most popular songs, and her voice sounded great. I was very excited to hear Universal Bunny. Megumi Nakagima was introduced into the concert when May'n started singing "What bout My Star" (translation). It started off as the Sheryl version, then mixed down to the Ranka version. There was new verses in the "carrot song" as people kept calling it. Megumi sang a verse in english, singing about how "it was a long long way from Japan. Utterly brilliant, and was a nice twist. When Yoko Kanno came out, she was out when Megumi was finishing a song, and she was out there dancing a bit (something I didn't expect to see, but a happy surprise). When she got on the grand piano, she started to play, and started off playing Aimo. Somewhere in the piano playing, notes of Ai Oboeteimasuka (spelling?) came through, and then Megumi started singing the verse. Then she started playing "voices", at which point, my heart almost stopped. Such a medley and rarity to hear those songs in such an arrangement. Absolutely priceless.

As for the attire of the stars, May'n wore a Red cap with black shirt and black shorts. She had a black vest on with pink hearts or red hearts on it, and some plaid type boots. Very cute outfit. Megumi wore a dress that was very puffy around the waist, almost Ranka/t.v. Minmay-esque, also very cute. They wore outfits that almost seemed to fit their perspective characters.

The concert ended with the song "Triangular" which was perfectly befitting, and had May'n and Megumi Nakagima both come out for the final performance. For those that weren't able to make it for health, or transportation issues, we all missed you out, and I do hope you are better and that we will get the opportunity to meet next time. The concert was packed, and there was all the expected glow stick action from the concert attendees. I can't really put into words the excitement I feel for being able to go to this. I wish you from the site would've made it to the dinner. There was 8 that showed in total, and only Mitch, my wife and I from MW. We were inside, and had access to additional tables to expand the party size. It was a good time.

On purchases, my wife and I bought a cel of DYRL Minmay singing, an Orguss cel, Mylene from Mac 7, and one of Jean from Southern Cross. That was a lot of $$$, but it's priceless art to us fans.

Tomorrow, my press buddy will try to get 4 of us front row center for the Megumi Nakagima panel and then it's off to autograph sessions and then more shopping. If anyone is gonna be there tomorrow, we'll be going to the Yardhouse again for drinks moreso than official dinner.

Have fun Jasonc. :)

Yeah, that would make for some horrid regular shots. Though some newer one's handle it better (I can stomach 800 on my Dad's d60). Hopefully nothing ruined. Were you actually able to get any in concert shots?

They weren't too bad once I shrink the images, just a few pictures of cosplayers and a picture Yuu Asakawa. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the concert, I was warned beforehand and I didn't really want to risk getting kicked out of this awesome event. =\

Edited by shiroikaze

Now the question I have is, was it a packed house for the concert?

The Nokia Theater is a huge ass theater - it's where they have the Emmys now. Today at 11:30 am I checked with ticketing cause I hadn't bought my ticket yet and they had only sold 1/2 of the main floor. (They closed off the balcony and upper levels entirely) I decided to just wait outside the theater until they handed out tickets to fill seats - I'm not sure if that ended up happening or not cause a random staffer gave away his own personal ticket to me. I would say we filled 4/5 of the main floor and the way they lit the theater it felt full and certainly had the energy of a packed house.

Thanks for the well wishes, Jasonc. So I see she did perform "Universal Bunny". I'd heard of the english lines added to "Ninjin Love You, Yeah". Sounds like a nice touch.That Nakajima/kanno medley sounds like it pretty much made the whole thing. Well done, AX.

Sorry to hear the gathering didn't work out as planned.

That Minmay cel wouldn't happen to be that DYRL closeup with the mic in he hands I always see at Fanime for over a grand, would it? It's a great, collection making piece, but too rich even for my mania. If so, glad to her a forum member got it.

You know, I'm still wondering if my friend made it.

Hopefully, someone will liveblog the Megumi panel like May'n's.

Have fun out there. Good luck on the autographs! Tell Ranka that Patrick Kottinger says Hello, and regrets not being there. B))

Thanks for the well wishes, Jasonc. So I see she did perform "Universal Bunny". I'd heard of the english lines added to "Ninjin Love You, Yeah". Sounds like a nice touch.That Nakajima/kanno medley sounds like it pretty much made the whole thing. Well done, AX.

Sorry to hear the gathering didn't work out as planned. Be sure to give UN Spacy a ring on the way to Megumi's panel if he's not with you already. His number's in this thread.

That Minmay cel wouldn't happen to be that DYRL closeup with the mic in he hands I always see at Fanime for over a grand, would it? It's a great, collection making piece, but too rich even for my mania. If so, glad to her a forum member got it.

You know, I'm still wondering if my friend made it.

Hopefully, someone will liveblog the Megumi panel like May'n's.

Have fun out there. Good luck on the autographs! I have no clue how strict they're being this year. Tell Ranka that Patrick Kottinger says Hello, and is sorry for not being there. B))

Now back to the flickering...

I went to the May'n panel and the concert and just like was said earlier, May'n is gorgeous in person (more than I had expected)! You can tell she's a very bubbly and warm person and really tried to make a connection with the fans. The panel had more than a couple dud questions, but that was to be expected. The concert was pretty damn awesome, with May'n and Megumi pumping up the crowd. May'n spoke in her best English telling everyone it was her first trip out to the US and did a cute thing of throwing up a "LA" hand sign to get applause out of the crowd. That girl has a talented voice and there was no denying that she has a lot of stage presence and experience. It was such an unreal experience to have the actual Sheryl singer prompting you and the crowd to sing "motteke" along with her in the chorus of "Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't be Late."

Just like the others mentioned, when Yoko came out and started playing the piano to Aimo along with Megumi singing, but then merged it with Voices, it was so unexpected that I think it took a few seconds for it to register with the fans. Either that, or alot of the fans in the audience weren't even familiar with Macross Plus and only knew Frontier songs.

Megumi impressed me. I use to think that she had a rather weak voice in comparison to May'n, but she showed that she can put some power into her songs as well (unless that was due to the sound guy amping up her mic to compensate). She spoke English a little less comfortably than May'n in her introduction, but it was great how she tried to get the crowd into the spirit of things by having the crowd sing along with her to parts of "Anata no oto" and "Seikan Hikou."

When I heard there was a secret guest for the concert, I too was really hoping for Mari to come out during the performance of "Ai Oboete imasuka", so naturally when someone walked on stage from the side during Megumi's rendition of it, I almost crapped my pants thinking it was Mari before realizing it was just May'n. I kind of feel they missed an opportunity seeing as how Mari is an LA resident and could of probably made it.

Anyways, AX was great fun. I'm wondering when will be the next time May'n or Megumi will be out here in the US again.

It was such an unreal experience to have the actual Sheryl singer prompting you and the crowd to sing "motteke" along with her in the chorus of "Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't be Late."

Exactly! I felt the exact same way back during the Galaxy Tour Final concert. Afterwards its like waking back up to reality or something, lol.

My wife and I were talking just now, and we came to the conclusion that May'n (Sheryl) had the more entertaining/indulging show of both Megumi and May'n...However, it was Yoko Kanno's performance of the show that made Megumi's performance worth the praise and adoration that it's receiving. That's not negating her, as art and music is both universal and both great and enduring, but as stand alones, May'n is a great performer and the singer of Sheryl is a strong voice and very big as a solo act. That said, Megumi is very charming as a solo act, but I have to say that May'n is probably my favorite solo performer, she made the show, while Yoko Yanno made Megumi's performance.

On the cel purchase, I have to say it wasn't the $$$$ that was a grand, but it was from the same section of anime. We aren't big spenders yet when it comes to cels, but my wife loves all that stuff. The lines of the cel she got aren't so strong and some are faded, but overall, well worth the purchase and worth the money. $2.5K to what we got is a lot of difference. My wife got the Minmay and the second Jeanne, or Jean, I got the Orguss (which he'll be getting more later, and the second M7 of Mylene. "Dancing on the Planet Dance!!!" is awesome. She's one of my favorites, and cutest when it comes to M7. Hope to see you guys tomorrow, and for all of you...Decultcha' !!!

My wife will be putting up the pics of cels in the Collection section of the forum and under cel collections. Enjoy!!!

Edited by Jasonc

My wife and I were talking just now, and we came to the conclusion that May'n (Sheryl) had the more entertaining/indulging show of both Megumi and May'n...However, it was Yoko Kanno's performance of the show that made Megumi's performance worth the praise and adoration that it's receiving. That's not negating her, as art and music is both universal and both great and enduring, but as stand alones, May'n is a great performer and the singer of Sheryl is a strong voice and very big as a solo act. That said, Megumi is very charming as a solo act, but I have to say that May'n is probably my favorite solo performer, she made the show, while Yoko Yanno made Megumi's performance.

I have to agree with this. May'n seems to be the more polished singer with more stage presence, but Megumi was good in her own way. She did have a really cute voice.

May'n dresses and acts more in line with being a mainstream jpop singer, while Megumi seems to walk the line of the old school 80s idols, with her dress and mannerisms.