Anime Expo 2010

Some bad news...

Hey there guys. Well it's less than a week until the big event and I have my ticket from Tokyo booked and posters to get signed by mayn an megumi packed and ready to go.....

And then, on wednesday, my appendix apparently decided it was a lemming and hit the self destruct button.

Glad to see you're on the road back to recovery. Even though you won't be able to make it to AX your reviews for the MW'ers that can't attend shows in Tokyo have been epic. Hopefully we can do the same for you. :)

UN Spacy type guy! What's this Yardhouse thing and is that open to everyone? I know I'm kinda new to MW but I wouldn't mind meeting other Macross Fans!

You should definitely make it Tolarin. The Yardhouse is similar to any other brewery / restaurant in North America. You'll love it. It's a great place for larger groups.

BTW Jason. Do we have a head count for next Friday? ONE MORE WEEK TO GO! :p

Waiting in the sun will probably be Exhibit Hall/Registration, which are both (among other things) in South Hall Lobby......sadpanda this year ToT. I've heard the lines aren't nearly as bad after Day 0 and Day 1, so you should be ok shiroikaze, but you're only going one day? Aww =(

Yeah, independence and whatnot are kinda difficult to obtain in this household. But anyway, that's good know. Hopefully, that leaves me more time to explore. :)

Some bad news...

Man, that's some bad timing. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Glad to see you're on the road back to recovery. Even though you won't be able to make it to AX your reviews for the MW'ers that can't attend shows in Tokyo have been epic. Hopefully we can do the same for you. :)

You should definitely make it Tolarin. The Yardhouse is similar to any other brewery / restaurant in North America. You'll love it. It's a great place for larger groups.

BTW Jason. Do we have a head count for next Friday? ONE MORE WEEK TO GO! :p

I have no idea how many people are coming, since everyone's been replying here. Some seem still unsure, and of course, the bad news of Tochiro having to drop out. BTW, buddy, get better, and hopefully we can at least film something for you.

Back on topic, I'm thinking since the concert is over at 3p.m. we should have all those that wanna attend the Yardhouse dinner afterparty to meet in front of Yardhouse approx 30 mins after, so we can get a headcount. those that are attending the dinner later, let us know to add you, and we'll go from there. It can be a quick meet, and we can all go off from there, wherever, and just meet up at 7 or 7:30. Really up to you all. I know there will be about 5-7 others not posting here that are part of the group that are meeting at the dinner, so it's already a decent group.

How's that affect your room? My plans are falling apart by the minute. I have a room for Thursday to Sunday, but just about no means down or to pay for it alone, so I'm looking at other options...

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

The autograph schedule it up as well. Megumi and May'n each have two sessions, not counting the possible open session.

http://www.anime-expo.org/programming/autograph-session/

How's that affect your room? My plans are falling apart by the minute. I have a room for Thursday to Sunday, but just about no means down or to pay for it alone, so I'm looking at other options...

Hi Patrick.

I got your meesage and if my plans fall through on Saturday night I might be able to room with ya. I'll let ya know asap.

Some bad news...

Hey there guys. Well it's less than a week until the big event and I have my ticket from Tokyo booked and posters to get signed by mayn an megumi packed and ready to go.....

And then, on wednesday, my appendix apparently decided it was a lemming and hit the self destruct button. It was a close call and I spent a lot of Wednesday in surgery, but now here I am stuck in a hospital bed with the do tor telling me there is no way in hell I'm getting on a plane next week.

To be honest I'm pretty devastated. Sure, I've seen mayn and megumi probably 6 or 7 times in the past, but signings and meet&greets are not done here in Japan- and I was prepared to fly all the way to the US just to meet them and get these posters signed. More importantly (yeah yeah call me a sap- I'll just say that the pain killers are getting to me, lol) I was looking forward to finally meeting a lot of the MW crew in person at last. Well unfortunately I'm out of the game for now, and I apologize to yellowlightman and the oter guys I'd promised to meet up with. Have a drink at the yardhouse for me guys.

Sorry about your injury Tochiro. Shame you can't make it out here man. Well, don't feel too bad. To me, you are STILL the luckiest Macross fan on this whole forum. You got to go to two RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME concerts last year....especially the Macross one, which I'm still hoping will make it to dvd. I would trade shoes with you any day of the week! To be able to live in Japan and go to many concerts is awesome. You may not be able to make it to this one, but I'm sure you'll make it to a whole bunch more in the future :D

hi all, just registered and got my ticket. woo hoo as this is my first time in attendance. i'm wondering what to expect. signed up for friday only cause i had other plans on the weekend. but will there be things to look at/take pics? and my next was already answered taking cameras to the concert event. i guess i'll need to run to my car and drop it off. unless there isn't anything to look at on friday. sorry for some who are not able to make it. hopefully you feel better.

hi all, just registered and got my ticket. woo hoo as this is my first time in attendance. i'm wondering what to expect. signed up for friday only cause i had other plans on the weekend. but will there be things to look at/take pics? and my next was already answered taking cameras to the concert event. i guess i'll need to run to my car and drop it off. unless there isn't anything to look at on friday. sorry for some who are not able to make it. hopefully you feel better.

Well, since you're only signed up for 1 day, I suggest heading to the Exhibitors' Hall, and prepare for some free stuff and lots of deals for merchandise (i.e., bring money, lotsa money).

thanks for the support guys. Sorry for the late reply-the last few days have been a drug induced blur....and no, not the good kind, lol.

Yes. It's gonna be on all your shoulders to give us all the juicy details on the concert then! I'm counting on you guys!

On this end, I'm due to be discharged from hospital the morning before Megumis concert on Wednesday. I'm not supposed to be moving but I may try to pop along. We shall see.

Oh and for anyone wondering- airlines are a pack of hyenas. I'm losing 70 % of the airfair refund as a cancellation charge, despite having a letter from the hospital stating I can't travel. Bastards.

But I don't mean to bring the mood down! Let the speculation of that AX2010 concert setlist commence!!

Does Anime Expo normaly release dvd's of the concerts and events? I would love to be there. I found out about May'n performing there more than just a little to late to make arrangements.

I've never seen any DVD official releases. Then again, if the performers are having some sort of tour DVD they are making, they may film some of it. Who knows, but AX doesn't put out DVDs that I'm aware of.

I've never seen any DVD official releases. Then again, if the performers are having some sort of tour DVD they are making, they may film some of it. Who knows, but AX doesn't put out DVDs that I'm aware of.

Neither AX nor most conventions have the rights to release any sort of video performance. While they may record or photograph parts of the performance for prosperity, those recordings are never released and normally used for convention promotions, if anything. If they are recorded and released, it will be released by the actual license holder (which would probably Bandai Visual and Victor Entertainment in May'N/Megumi Nakajima's case). If one really wants to go see the performance, go get a ticket. Otherwise, you're outta luck.

As sad as I am to say this, looks like I'm officially having to bow out on the event. It's frustrating as heck given how close I came to it. I had a room, I'm technically registered (just not paid), I just don't have a means down. My only remaining option refuses to drive the four hours to get there. So I'm sunk since I'm without a ride. I'm pretty torn up about it for pretty much the same reasons Tochiru mentioned (I'm a big autograph nut, though just meeting them would suffice). Heck, that's just considering May'n and Megumi, and not counting Yui Horie, Rei Hiroe, Ozma, and all the others. Nothing's gone right, from the custom shirts not being printed up in time (not that it matters now) to my friend's badge art I spent a night constructing not even being used thanks to the dance department deciding on one design.

post-1202-127788501071_thumb.jpg

So count me among the devastated. What with Fanime and all eating up cash, two months was just not enough lead time to make it down there.

I pretty much have to figure out how I'm gonna cope with missing this one. Macross and AX are overwhelming right now. Between AX posts on Facebook, and the Sheryl figures I got from Fanime staring me in the face, it's not easy. I wonder if finally rewatching Frontier itself, or perhaps the camrip or concert DVD would help, or just depress me more.

Hope you guys enjoy it. And here's hoping they make a return to the US in the future.

Went to pick up my badge today at LACC, and decided to come back again and try tomorrow. The Line for badge pickup was OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!! I mean, we're talking about a line that would make the Iphone and Dragon Quest lines cry!!

Unbelievable.

Went to pick up my badge today at LACC, and decided to come back again and try tomorrow. The Line for badge pickup was OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!! I mean, we're talking about a line that would make the Iphone and Dragon Quest lines cry!!

Unbelievable.

You should've stayed and toughed it out, the next day will be just as bad unless you get there super early in the morning.

I'm hoping Friday won't be as bad...

Edited by shiroikaze

OMG I'm a little concerned here.

I won't be at AX until 11:30am...and the concert starts at 1:30pm.

If I have to wait in line for two hours I'm screwed. :wacko:

Thanks for the condolences, Mar. It's mostly a ride thing. Hell, in the strange chance I find a way down, you still have a spot open for a couple of people? I have an acquaintance thinking crazy things. :lol:

Enjoy the con, and hopefully you'll catch the concert. I'll take any swag you don't want. Hopefully, my friend comes through and snags me an autograph or two, though I don't expect much. :ph34r:

Little note, technically, another Bay Area MWer will be there, the friend mentioned. Dance's DJ Sandman is a lurker here. His friend, DJ Amaya did a remix of Lion, so you might want to check out Amaya's set if you can.

I doubt the lines will be that long on friday. I think the way it was set up this year was a marketing ploy by having everyone wait outside. I waited for about 3.5 hrs to get my stuff, then had to jump in another line for the damn concert tix. I got section U seats 301-304 (My buddy got tix with me at same time.) Basically, we're mid section, about half way on main level. Not as close as I wanted, but not bad. Can definitely see a lot from there. I'll be bringing my Macross Frontier CD to have signed by May'n and Nakagima. For the meet at Yardhouse. I think there's gonna be about 8 or 9 of us meeting around 7 to try and get a decent spot outside. If anymore wanna just show, by all means, we'll be there.

I doubt the lines will be that long on friday. I think the way it was set up this year was a marketing ploy by having everyone wait outside. I waited for about 3.5 hrs to get my stuff, then had to jump in another line for the damn concert tix. I got section U seats 301-304 (My buddy got tix with me at same time.) Basically, we're mid section, about half way on main level. Not as close as I wanted, but not bad. Can definitely see a lot from there. I'll be bringing my Macross Frontier CD to have signed by May'n and Nakagima. For the meet at Yardhouse. I think there's gonna be about 8 or 9 of us meeting around 7 to try and get a decent spot outside. If anymore wanna just show, by all means, we'll be there.

I'm not buying tix for the concert...I'm going to wait in line til they start letting us in for free. Last year, AX Idol didn't sell a fraction of its seating capacity so they let everyone in for free. I bet the same is going to happen at tomorrow's concert. As much as we all love Sheryl and Ranka, no one in the larger US anime community knows who they are.

Thanks. though i expect nothing at this point, and it's killing me even more to keep hope alive. Thankfully, there was some nice coverage of the May'n panel. pretty run of the mill stuff: favorite song (Diamond Crevasse), Sheryl or Ranka (not as insane as I expected actually, Sheryl naturally, though she likes Ranka, and totally skipped the shipping question), a few singing tidbits. She says she likes otaku. :lol: Apparently, someone gave her a Megahouse Sheryl, though I have no idea which one and assume it's the AlphaxOmega Don't be late one, since giving her "Rise Up" would seem weird to me.

Transcript here:

http://trappedinjapan.com/?p=378

I guess Twitter's good for something, though I'm still never regging. I'll post anything else of relevance since I'm torturing/sating myself with this. I've got to say that looking at the pictures and reports is giving me a bit more of a "being there" feeling that trying to avoid it would.

Just found the video I'd heard of. It's from a phone, and after the fourth question (so i still don't get to know which figure :lol:), but it's better than nothing. Enjoy, guys!

http://qik.com/video/8472651

There are still plenty of tickets left.

Too bad they aren't more Bay Area folks going. Oh well, they're gonna miss out on awesomeness. :lol:

BTW. Bee, isamu, etc can ya make it to the Yardhouse afterwards?

I'll see if I can make it down there. It's at LA Live correct?

By the way I ran into Egan Loo today. Still looks the same even after 7 years :lol: Tried to squeeze who the surprise guest is out of him but he would budge hehe. Oh well, 12 more hours to go.