Anime Expo 2010

Wish I could have been there. By the time I found out about the concerts it would have been too much of a hassle to arrange everything. In order to go these fun events you have to either live in the area or have already made plans to attend long before you know what to expect.

i had a blast at the concert and even met a couple of old time lurkers on the boards (wherever you are)... haha... I was busy trying to catch all the Mac F cosplayers in the audience to give them flyers for MW Con 10 in October....

i hope we can get some of those awesome cosplayers to show up and maybe do some fun karaoke! oh, and the concert was pretty good too. May'n has an EXCELLENT singing voice and has a lot of control and vocal range. She's very polished as a singer and performer and they had the mixing spot on as she sounded just like her records.

Megumi was okay, but her vocal quality really doesn't compare to May'n. Megumi kinda sounds just like an early decent contestant on American Idol, where May'n would be the winner with the best stylized vocals and original sound. the yoko Kanno thing was cool (although i admit, i wasn't a fan enough to know who she was at the time... haha.. i was like... who is this random chick?)

I had a good time and even tried to sneak a recording of the concert on my phone, BUT i failed and it didn't actually record when i thought it was... whooops... sorry for those that missed it! it was pretty epic and awesome to see my 1st, and probably last, JPOP concert. =]

There were very few high quality Ranka cosplayers there IMO. I just don't think the character easily lends itself to cosplay. But there were two or three Sheryl cosplayers that really had their stuff together, especially one that sat in the front row of the panel in Sheryl's purple concert dress.

The translator for the May'n panel wasn't good at all as she didn't understand a lot of the questions no matter how they were rephrased or even if they were simple to begin with. The translator and manager even had trouble with identifying her songs when asked about them by title. I only say this because I attended the AKB 48 panel (some jpop girl band) and their translator really did an excellent job, even with some of the questions quietly uttered from the most nervous, hoarse voiced otaku in attendance.

The other problem was people kept asking the most inane questions of May'n like would she like to pilot the VF-25 or more detailed questions regarding plot points of particular episodes, which she is really unlikely to really have any insight into given she only sang the songs and didn't provide the regular voice acting. One question from some older woman from Germany even started out with an insinuation that she lied about her age or something before rambling into something about her debut performance.

Just remembered a good question about her stage name and whether her career would have been the same with or without Sheryl. She said that she changed her stage name to May'n to allow her to evoke the strong character of Sheryl and that now she will always perform with that strength and carry a part of Sheryl in all her future songs.

Edited by Seven

The other problem was people kept asking the most inane questions of May'n like would she like to pilot the VF-25 or more detailed questions regarding plot points of particular episodes, which she is really unlikely to really have any insight into given she only sang the songs and didn't provide the regular voice acting. One question from some older woman from Germany even started out with an insinuation that she lied about her age or something before rambling into something about her debut performance.

From what I hear and seen, that stuff is always prevalent in these Seiyuu/Singer focus panels. In a sea of silly questions, there are a few pertinent questions that do get asked just like the one you pointed out.

Just remembered a good question about her stage name and whether her career would have been the same with or without Sheryl. She said that she changed her stage name to May'n to allow her to evoke the strong character of Sheryl and that now she will always perform with that strength and carry a part of Sheryl in all her future songs.

That deserves some round of applause.

Yeah, the live blog gives that impression. Even noriced her repeating stuff at times. Though the lying about her age bit is odd to hear about.

Looks like a great cosplay gathering. Much larger than Fanime's this year (last years was better, we had a Cathy for crying out loud, and a good one at that). I find it interesting that no two Sheryl's are the same. I know these are partly coordinated online, but it's still an amusing sign of just how many outfits she has.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Thanks for the clips! They're better than nothing. Shame not one person though to hit the audio record on their phone. :rolleyes: Hopefully, that Megumi medley was captured and surfaces.

love the pic. Apparently that's her bodyguard. Someone also mentioned that when she gave the LA sign mentioned above, it was actually a gang sign. Gotta love coincidences. Though my favorite pic on her site so far has to be the one with the 2 liter Coke Zero. I'd always heard that Japanese visitors are usually amazed at our portion sizes. :lol:

May'n+Mamegu (as I've been seeing her referred to) signing going on now. All my hopes to the MW members caught in the chaos. Good hunting, ladies and gentlemen.

Look at it this way, at least you don't have to know you're only an afternoon's drive away. If it had been Otakon, it'd be understandable, but I'm just a drive away and still missed it. <_<

Hopefully, Otakon will get them another time, as they're about the only other con big enough to do so. If it happens, rabid wolves, an army of the undead, and the complete onslaught of the Vajra, Zentran, Meltran and Supervision Armies combined will not keep me from that con. B))

Today was Megumi Nakagima's panel...And she was very likable and very friendly. My buddy with the press pass was able to get Mitch, my wife, and I in the front again (2 for 2). There were some great questions asked in that panel about her Philipino roots, and if she'd possibly do songs in Tagalog in the future. While she doesn't speak it, she can understand it, and she'd like to, as it's part of her. Also, someone asked if she could do the Nyan Nyan song, which she obliged, and it was awesome. I was able to get a couple pics, well, my wife did, maybe she can put them up. We did more shopping, and bought the TIA Macross Plus Movie book, two of the Half Age figures, the Sheryl PVC fig in swimsuit, Ranka pillow, a few keychains, and...waited in line for a long time to get autographs. I got the other part of my two disc CD signed by Megumi, as well as the Ranka Diary book. My wife got a concert ticket signed by May'n and I also got the booklet to the CD signed by May'n. Overall, macross was a big part of this year's con, and I will be in the cosplay thread, posting pics of the other Ranka/Sheryl cosplayers.

Thanks for the Megumi update! I thought the Filipino stuff was interesting too. They signed multiple items?! That's odd for AX. Even my friend said they were enforcing a 1 item limit (though he apparently got to talk to May'n for a good amount of time on Thursday)Lucky you! Supposedly at least Megumi is signing at the open autographs tomorrow as well.

Thanks for the Megumi update! I thought the Filipino stuff was interesting too. They signed multiple items?! That's odd for AX. Even my friend said they were enforcing a 1 item limit (though he apparently got to talk to May'n for a good amount of time on Thursday)Lucky you! Supposedly at least Megumi is signing at the open autographs tomorrow as well.

They did sign only one item, but my wife used her ticket to get the other signature on the CD I had May'n sign on Thursday, and had May'n sign the concert ticket. Oh yeah, I should say that although it wasn't on the schedule, May'n came back to sign again. Me, I had May'n sign the booklet, and Megumi sign the Ranka book. One item each, for both of us.

My wife loves the Ai-Kun plushie she bought. And I gotta admit, it's quite adorable. Well, that ends my AX experience. I have work tomorrow at 6a.m. and coming off of a bruised rib, ear problem, and a nasty cough, I need the sleep. I'll be back on tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to read everyone else's events.

Indeed, lucky you :).

Just out of curiosity, did anyone ask Nakajima about her Vocaloid work? I always wondered if she felt proud about taking part in the "virtual idol" sensation or whether she ever felt that she needs to compete against her "virtual self"...

Look at it this way, at least you don't have to know you're only an afternoon's drive away. If it had been Otakon, it'd be understandable, but I'm just a drive away and still missed it. <_<

Hopefully, Otakon will get them another time, as they're about the only other con big enough to do so. If it happens, rabid wolves, an army of the undead, and the complete onslaught of the Vajra, Zentran, Meltran and Supervision Armies combined will not keep me from that con. B))

Oh I know the feeling. I live 30 minutes from Baltimore. I also love Kanon Wakeshima as much as May'n and I got to meet her last year at Otakon. I was damned determined as hell to get there early to meet her. She was frelling gorgeous in person and I got two autographs from her as well a sitting two rows behind the front row at her first US concert. If Otakon ever books May'n, believe me, I will be there like a flea on a plague-ridden victim.

Aaaaand my AX2010 is now complete! Started out at the Megumi panel which was awesome. Got in question line and simply told her how much she rocked the concert and how much of a great job she's done as the VA for Ranka Lee. When it was over I shook her hand and said thanks for coming. Then...Got both my May'N and Megumi CD's autographed from them today and wasn't even in line that long! I told May'N to try and come back to AX again and she gave a thumbs up and said OK! They are very lovely girls.

Well, the only thing I need now is an autograph from Konishi, but it looks like I'm gonna have to get there super early cuz it's an open session.

Hi everyone! I'm Cheryl, Jasonc's wife. I must say that the May'n & Megumi Nakajima concert really made my AX this year and to have Yoko Kanno perform as the special guest truly made it SPECIAL! I agree with Jason, Seven and Bee (KiriK) that May'n was a much more polished, professional performer than Megumi and really showed her heart and emotions in every song. Megumi really shined during the ballads, with Yoko Kanno accompanying her on piano. I think the tributes to Macross Zero and DYRL played to the fans' heartstrings as well. Ironically, May'n resembled "Sheryl" in her dress, dancing, and performance style and Megumi was a cute combination of "Ranka" and "Minmei", more of a 80's-style pop idol.

I didn't get a chance to attend the May'n panel on Thursday, but the Megumi panel on Saturday was quite refreshing and enjoyable. Megumi demonstrated herself to be really sweet, open, approachable, and definitely likable! From what I understand, May'n was the same in her panel. While signing autographs, I noticed that they both smiled and made eye contact with every fan, making every one of us feel "special". As you will see by her signature, Megumi loves all her fans. hee hee!

Here are some pics I took of Macross cosplayers and Megumi during her panel. (I apologize for the poor quality of the Megumi pics as I didn't have my camera set up to account for the lighting.) No pics during the concert or signings due to the AX/Nokia camera gastapo (though I realize that they're just doing their jobs).

Photos from Friday, July 2nd. Dinner at Yard House after the concert with friends. MW attendees Jason & Mitch. :-)

post-9311-127828719784_thumb.jpg

post-9311-127828721792_thumb.jpg

post-9311-127828726288_thumb.jpg

post-9311-12782874981_thumb.jpg

post-9311-127828751239_thumb.jpg

post-9311-127828753585_thumb.jpg

post-9311-127828755692_thumb.jpg

post-9311-127828758605_thumb.jpg

post-9311-127828760865_thumb.jpg

post-9311-127828774306_thumb.jpg

post-9311-127828776286_thumb.jpg

Just seen a few good concert photos over at Japanator. I'm not surprises that most or pretty much every body is smitten with May'n thinking back I was too but I think it was mostly because she was the singing voice of Sherly. After seeing her a few times live I've realized two things, one she can't dance two she not hot. Their PR team associates their liver wardrobe with their anime character's persona which is sad for Megumi. When she does PR junkets for DVDs she's usually in her normal clothes and major hot when she is sporting a pair of shorts let me tell ya.

Edited by Save

Just seen a few good concert photos over at Japanator. I'm not surprises that most or pretty much every body is smitten with May'n thinking back I was too but I think it was mostly because she was the singing voice of Sherly. After seeing her a few times live I've realized two things, one she can't dance two she not hot. Their PR team associates their liver wardrobe with their anime character's persona which is sad for Megumi. When she does PR junkets for DVDs she's usually in her normal clothes and major hot when she is sporting a pair of shorts let me tell ya.

I think both girls are rather cute, but agree with your assessment of Megumi. She has a very pretty face, and could probably do "sexy" if ever called for it. Though I suppose cute is needed and expected for Ranka. I know I like May'n especially for Sheryl's songs, since that's pretty much what I like Sheryl for. They complement one another well (hence why both girls' versions of Lion are good, but the song still excels as a duet). I've been impressed by both girls, and think it's a bit silly that one must outdo the other in terms of the concert. B))

Keep up the con reports, people. I'm thinking I should upload the Fanime pics before a flood of AX ones come in now.

I'm not saying that Megumi is not hot. Frankly, she was a lot prettier in person at the panel than at the concert and just her persona at the panel made her even more refreshing and beautiful. Both are gorgeous and appeal to different markets! May'n was the better performer IMO and was gorgeous in person as well. Both were absolutely wonderful at the autograph signing and truly tried to connect with each fan. Both made direct eye contact with me (at least) and it didn't appear to be a fleeting, superficial thing. Just by their mannerisms, both appeared appreciative of their American fanbase. It's refreshing to see after living in superficial LA all my life.

Lookwise, I think both of them are very beautiful, and very personable. What makes the combination of May'n and Megumi unique is that in their own right, they both appeal to a broad spectrum of fans. I like May'n and her style (music of course) cause it draws one emotion, and Megumi because it draws in all that in other areas. What's great is that both overlap each other, and that makes me appreciate both of them in so many ways. I really can't say I like or prefer one to the other as entertainers. I enjoy both of their music libraries and have a playlist in my car of several CDs.

Totally unrelated to that, I do find Sheryl to be a more attractable character. Maybe it's cause the character personality fits more of who I would be attracted to, if I was Alto Saotone. Hahaha, that's totally unrelated to this thread, but had to throw that out there. After this weekend, May'n and Megumi both have my utmost respect for coming to the U.S., both for the first time, and for both giving a great performance. Wether or not they'll admit it, it's gotta be kinda nerve racking to perform in front of a show where you are unfamiliar with the styles and ways of American concert fans. I don't even know if they are aware that Macross isn't aired or on DVD here. If they are aware, I can only hope that they felt the vibe of many of us, in that we enjoyed the concert to the max, and respect them for performing in front of us for the first time ever. For that, I applaud and respect them.

Lookwise, I think both of them are very beautiful, and very personable. What makes the combination of May'n and Megumi unique is that in their own right, they both appeal to a broad spectrum of fans. I like May'n and her style (music of course) cause it draws one emotion, and Megumi because it draws in all that in other areas. What's great is that both overlap each other, and that makes me appreciate both of them in so many ways. I really can't say I like or prefer one to the other as entertainers. I enjoy both of their music libraries and have a playlist in my car of several CDs.

Totally unrelated to that, I do find Sheryl to be a more attractable character. Maybe it's cause the character personality fits more of who I would be attracted to, if I was Alto Saotone. Hahaha, that's totally unrelated to this thread, but had to throw that out there. After this weekend, May'n and Megumi both have my utmost respect for coming to the U.S., both for the first time, and for both giving a great performance. Wether or not they'll admit it, it's gotta be kinda nerve racking to perform in front of a show where you are unfamiliar with the styles and ways of American concert fans. I don't even know if they are aware that Macross isn't aired or on DVD here. If they are aware, I can only hope that they felt the vibe of many of us, in that we enjoyed the concert to the max, and respect them for performing in front of us for the first time ever. For that, I applaud and respect them.

Very well said Jason. They are indeed talented. Hopefully they'll be back to again sometime.

Other artists I would love to see at AX:

Hiroko Kasahara

Akino Arai

Tomo Sakurai

Chie Kajiura

Tomoko Tane

Boy do I feel stupid now....here am thinking it is May'N who did the actual non-singing voice work for Sheryl, when it is in fact Aya Endo who did the spoken dialog. Wow. You learn something new everyday.

Well, May'N is certainly nice looking and all, but man...Aya Endo is smoking hot! Would have loved to see her come to AX as well.

Boy do I feel stupid now....here am thinking it is May'N who did the actual non-singing voice work for Sheryl, when it is in fact Aya Endo who did the spoken dialog. Wow. You learn something new everyday.

Well, May'N is certainly nice looking and all, but man...Aya Endo is smoking hot! Would have loved to see her come to AX as well.

She is a damn talented seiyuu - probably one of only a handful of newer ones that I think are worth keeping an eye on. She did some work for our company once but not being directly involved, I missed the chance to meet her. Some colleagues did send me pictures of her somewhat tipsy at the project wrap up party though, lol.

Nice thought, Jasonc. I agree wholeheartedly. They complement one another so well. I believe Megumi mentions on her blog the shear nervousness of the situation. Though both seem rather modest.

I've known that since day one. ^_^ It seems some at May'n's panel weren't aware either given the plot questions, so don't feel too bad. Though interestingly, this weekend has sort of demonstrated that perhaps May'n is more Sheryl to me than Aya is. Which is the reverse of my usual thought process. The music being so ingrained as it were makes it so. Not to mention my initial qualms with the character back when airing, which bewilder me a bit upon rewatching these past few days (boy have I forgotten things, and one can only watch something for the first time once). I still wish I'd recorded those early thoughts, but I digress. So I suppose I still see Aya as the underloved Miyuki worrying over dentistry moreso than Sheryl. I still love the comment Konata makes about Miyuki becoming the "Fairy of the Galaxy" as she bumps her head in the OAV.

To honest, I was a touch surprised that Aya Endo wasn't invited to AX.

So I suppose I still see Aya as the underloved Miyuki worrying over dentistry moreso than Sheryl. I still love the comment Konata makes about Miyuki becoming the "Fairy of the Galaxy" as she bumps her head in the OAV.

I just completed watching Frontier for the first time and it was magnificent. But I don't recall seeing any character named "Miyuki". Can expand on who this person is? Also, which OAV are you referring to?

Before Frontier, she was Takara Miyuki in Lucky Star, which people either love or hate since it's a fairly pointless show (the random obscure anime references make it all worthwhile for me). Hence why there's Lucky Star crossover figures, and Miyuki, who's a clumsy, but smart, polite waif, always gets cast as Sheryl, despite being next to nothing like her (outside of getting flustered easily). It's a seiyuu joke. An OAV for Lucky Star came out after Frontier, so they had Konata crack a comment referring to Endo's latest role. It's hilarious for those in the know and enjoy breaking the 4th wall. Personally, I always got a kick out of Miyuki, but she seems to easily be the least popular character in the show.

And I was sniped trying to find it on Youtube. Might I add that this is probably the weirdest Lucky Star moment ever and the subs generally suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXeV-A1FanY&feature=related

post-1202-127838865659_thumb.jpg

Man, I'm sorry I missed out on meeting some of you guys. Preparations for AX kept me so busy I forgot to check in with the thread before leaving, and then some people from club had the MWCon fliers and I was like, 'Dude where'd you get those? =O' >.<

But yeaaaaaaah, the concert was amazing. It was so good I was practically in tears at some points, and it was so awesome hearing the harmony switching in Lion live. I wasn't able to get their autographs (ToT), or go to either of their panels (super ToT), but I think I'm ok with seeing them live at an amazing concert. I do think that May'n is more polished than Megumi, but Megumi's also newer and younger, right? I remember some of her earlier live performances, and the few off points, and I can really tell that she's improved a lot since then with her singing, it was way above and beyond what I could have expected/hoped for (besides that awesome Tokyo video). Yoko Kanno was amazing as well, a real treat. Oh yeah, but back to the topic, I really really liked that Megumi had her personal touches (Ninjin), and that she tried so hard with her English, it was adorable. And she had more crowd participation overall, which I liked too. I guess I'm one of the few people that holds them rather equal overall.

I guess everyone's mostly May'n/Megumi fans because it hasn't been mentioned before, but in Konishi's panel (only panel I went to yay! XD), he talked about how he really wanted Ozma to live, and bugged and asked the producers (I think?) to even change the title of the episode so that he could have better chances of living. Everybody was like, 'awwwww'

And I haven't been on the forums long enough to tell whether you guys are joking or not, but lay off on the cosplayers, man. It takes a lot of guts to cosplay, and when I see you guys just talk about their weight and nothing about their cosplays at all, or how much time/energy/money it takes to pull everything together, that makes me sad. And makes me think you know nothing about the horrors of sewing.

Lucky Star + Macross is incredible. I saw crossover figures in the Exhibit Hall, but the booth was way too busy. I'll have to search around to get them, because they were just awesome.