All Things Video Games Thread: II

I remember seeing a thread created for Hawken, but alas, I can't seem to find it... but anyway!

Hawken is free to play.

http://www.rockpaper...s-free-to-play/

https://playhawken.com/

*resists the urge to plug referral link*

Edited by shiroikaze

For those with Uncharted 3, the Starhawk beta went up live a few days ago I believe for early access. Unfortunately, I bought my Uncharted 3 copy used at gamestop, and it did not come with the promotion code for starhawk. Oh well, have to wait a few more weeks I guess...

For those with Uncharted 3, the Starhawk beta went up live a few days ago I believe for early access. Unfortunately, I bought my Uncharted 3 copy used at gamestop, and it did not come with the promotion code for starhawk. Oh well, have to wait a few more weeks I guess...

Check your PMs.

I was thinking of buying Uncharted 3, but since I haven't played 1 and 2, I'm worried if I'd be missing a lot of the story.

So, is it okay to just get 3, of must I have played 1 and 2 to understand what's going on? It's almost impossible to find Uncharted 1 and 3 at my place, BTW.

I would think that playing Uncharted 3 for the gaming experience alone would be worth it, but if you want to get the most out of it, I would suggest either hunting down one and two first, or at least reading the wiki about them. That should make a few plot elements make more sense. Great standalone game though...

Also, thanks a TON mikeszekely!

This probably sounds like a stupid question, but is it okay to leave a game disc inside the PS3 after switching it off? I'm asking because the mechanism for slotting in the discs is showing signs of wear and tear. Whenever I slide in a disc, it makes a slightly different sound than it usually does, and one time when I put a disc in, it didn't even register it [blue light didn't come on] and I had to eject it and put it in again.

So in order not to cause any more wear and tear, I thought I should just leave the disc in the console and only remove it when I change games. Would that be okay?

BTW, I always eject the disc after playing, which is two or three sessions a day. I also keep the PS3 in the vertical position.

@GU-11

I would suspect that leaving a disc in a turned off PS3 to be totally fine, or at least, I've been doing it wrong for the entire lifespan of my PS3. I always leave any game that I am currently playing inside the PS3 disc drive, even for months on end! Needless to say, therefore, since I bought my PS3 day one, it's always had some disc inside it, even when it was shut off. Thus, I don't think leaving a disc in there would be a problem. My PS3 still runs smoothly, and it's a first gen 80GB.

I would check up with those with more professional answers than me first though, as I probably have no idea what I am talking about...

I never unnecessarily remove the disc from any system. If there's nothing else to play at the moment, and it's a good long RPG, a single disc can remain in for weeks.

Heck, I think my Dreamcast spent like a year with Soul Calibur 1 inside it. (wanted to play it again, and never took it out or played anything else for a long while--kind of forgot about it)

My Gamecube spends most of its time with the GBA player disc inside. :) (yes, I play Gameboy games on a 32in HD screen---nyah!)

Thanks for the advice, Archer and David!

I guess I'll be leaving the discs inside the PS3 from now on, then.

Probably should have done the same for my first gen PS2; poor thing's disc tray is busted from over ten years of opening and closing after each gaming session, and I haven't got the spare funds to fix it. Chalk it up to all those stupid rumors I heard about discs getting warped if left inside a game console.

Edited by GU-11

I never leave disc's in my PS3, but my brother always did, until his PS3 got the RLOD, had a game stuck in there for months until he finally broke down & dismantled it (had an 80 gig, replaced it with a slim). Now more than ever, I'm careful not to leave disc's in my 60 gig (which is doing fine btw).

If your drive is making funky noises, try vacuming it out (put the hose up to the drive), and vaccume out the other vents while you're at it. Like anything else, if parts in the drive get dusty, their girp will lesson.

Edited by Keith

I picked up Soul Calibur V....

AVOID BUYING THIS IF YOU MOSTLY PLAY SINGLE PLAYER!!!

-There is only story mode for one character and one character only, Patroklos Sophitia's son

-No character has a story or ending in arcade mode

-You can't change the number of rounds you fight you are stuck at 3

-Legendary Souls mode is essentially simulated online play against random create-a-jabroni's

-fewer characters than previous Soul games

-Dampierre DLC character already on disk, and is stupid and useless

The good things...

+fairly deep create a character

+Ezio from Assassin's Creed is it

This game is definatly not worth $60 bucks, barely even worth $20 it feels like a rushed incomplete tech demo, and this game wasn't even released in the holiday season!

I never leave disc's in my PS3, but my brother always did, until his PS3 got the RLOD, had a game stuck in there for months until he finally broke down & dismantled it (had an 80 gig, replaced it with a slim). Now more than ever, I'm careful not to leave disc's in my 60 gig (which is doing fine btw).

If your drive is making funky noises, try vacuming it out (put the hose up to the drive), and vaccume out the other vents while you're at it. Like anything else, if parts in the drive get dusty, their girp will lesson.

Yeah, good point about the disc potentially getting stuck in the event of a RLOD. But since I rarely play for more than two and a half hours at a time in an air-conditioned environment, I'm not all that worried about RLOD just yet. Actually, I'm more worried about the wear and tear on the slot mechanism than anything else.

Still, I'll try vacuuming the mouth of the slot and see if it gets rid of the noises.

SC5 was most definitely rushed. Namco told the team they had 1 year to make the game. I haven't played it but the series has steadily been getting worse since the first game so its no surprise most people are not too happy with this game.

Glad I decided not to buy this one. I mean, only one character in story mode?! At least Tekken 6 gave you the arena and separate endings for the other characters.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do for a PS3 Dualshock 3 controller that the buttons stopped working after I touched it and it shocked me? This is the second controller to crap the bed on me in this fashion, and at $55USD a pop, they are not exactly throw away items, now my original 60GB doesn't have a working controller. Is there a cheap fix for this? Thanks!

Twich

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do for a PS3 Dualshock 3 controller that the buttons stopped working after I touched it and it shocked me? This is the second controller to crap the bed on me in this fashion, and at $55USD a pop, they are not exactly throw away items, now my original 60GB doesn't have a working controller. Is there a cheap fix for this? Thanks!

Twich

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I worked in a store that fixed hundreds of consoles, but I've never seen anything like that happen to a PS3 controller. Much less two of them.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the controller's PCB is shot, so there's no way to fix it. I say throw it on eBay and make a few bucks off it, there are always people looking for spare parts and mods.

If that shock was caused by static electricity, I suggest grounding yourself before touching future controllers. Or get a humidifier to reduce the amount of static electricity in your room.

So, how many of us, have already ordered their PS Vita?

I have!

Nope. None of the launch games really grab me, and I heard the thing is doing so poorly in Japan that it's being outsold by the original PSP. Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty cool, but I'm going to do like I did with the 3DS and wait until a game comes out that I really want, and the price drops.

So, how many of us, have already ordered their PS Vita?

I have!

I have as well! (Only Wi-Fi though, don't want/need 3G) The system looks really cool, and I like the interactivity between it and the PS3. Also, I can't wait to play Uncharted on it as well :p

I think that sales should pick up once the U.S. release is on its way, and a few more launch titles are released. Although it's not selling all that well, I have heard that reviews are quite favorable, and that it is a very nice system.

Twich

How long ago did this happen? I had this happen to me in the past with a snes controller twice and both times the controller stopped working for a few days but eventually it worked again.

Try giving the controller a few days to lose the static charge then try using it.

Nope. None of the launch games really grab me, and I heard the thing is doing so poorly in Japan that it's being outsold by the original PSP. Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty cool, but I'm going to do like I did with the 3DS and wait until a game comes out that I really want, and the price drops.

Gundam SEED Battle Destiny! Plus you know there's going to be a Macross game within a year.

Gundam SEED Battle Destiny! Plus you know there's going to be a Macross game within a year.

If I get a Vita, I'll probably import GSBD, but it's not enough to make be get a Vita. Maybe, if it were another UC Battle game, with full Unicorn and Victory campaigns...

A sequel to the Macross whatever Frontier games would meet my must-have game requirement. Honestly, Uncharted and Wipeout are pretty close to meeting that requirement (I thought Uncharted 3 was a little meh, so...), but I'm still gonna hold out for the price drop.

I finally got to get my hands on a Vita demo machine today. I'm definitely happy that I decided to pre-order.

My only little complaint is that the circle, x, square, and triangle buttons are a bit on the small side. They're still quite usable, however, so I don't thik that there'll be a problem using them.

just started playing ST: Force Unleashed 2 last night (i know. late to the party. very.)

watching walkthrough videos i frequently see this move, usually against the saber-wielding sith acolytes. it starts with a saber strike (which seems to break through guard/block), triggering a cinematic showing you turning your back to the opponent and then stabbing backwards to impale the enemy, then hurling him away. in most cases it seems like instant kill.

i can't figure out how to do this move, so hope someone here might be able to explain to me. also, exactly how does one do a parry and counter-attack? i do well enough on Assassin's Creed but can't seem to pull it off in STFU2. any tips appreciated. thanks

just started playing ST: Force Unleashed 2 last night (i know. late to the party. very.)

watching walkthrough videos i frequently see this move, usually against the saber-wielding sith acolytes. it starts with a saber strike (which seems to break through guard/block), triggering a cinematic showing you turning your back to the opponent and then stabbing backwards to impale the enemy, then hurling him away. in most cases it seems like instant kill.

i can't figure out how to do this move, so hope someone here might be able to explain to me. also, exactly how does one do a parry and counter-attack? i do well enough on Assassin's Creed but can't seem to pull it off in STFU2. any tips appreciated. thanks

If memory serves me that is a quicktime kill move that only occcurs when the enmy is at a certain health level. A on screen button push prompt comes up to do it.

Finished Uncharted 3. Very disappointed. For me the second game is still the ultimate in action platform.

Here's a brief summary of my view.

A lot of running stages. Yip, just running.

More than usual areas where you get in, and then just make your way out.

Around 10 hours it took to me to finish the game.

The finale is pretty much the same as the previous game, underground city that then collapses but minus a final boss.

Quite a few glitches.

The puzzles were way too easy, and the scale of their areas were pointlessly unused.

The stranded desert chapter dragged a bit too long. Walk a little bit here, cut scene of the sky, walk some more, another cutscene, and etc...

Not much reply value in single player mode as the game is pretty flat linear.

The horses running as fast as the trucks was a bit too much.

A lot of the story wasn't explained. Like the instant aging in the mansion. How the one villian was shot, but then surprised everyone as he shortly returned.

Backgrounds to Alena and Drake's seperation wasn't explained. Nor anything regarding the new member in the team, Carter.

Sullivan through out the game acts like he can't jump and run fast, but at the end out sprints and out jumps Drake.

Exploration of the levels is very limited unlike the previous two games where the treasures were truly well hidden. Everything in this third game lies on your linear path.

No real big fighting level unlike the previous game where you go against a helicopter and a tank.

The big shooting areas could be finished from a few spots. Didn't really require you to move about to finish the stage.

The flat textures of the town's people stood out, as the playable characters were hyper realistic.

The shop is gone.

The sneaking stages really have one path to follow unlike the previous game.

Good things.

Some of the cinematics were again beyond Hollywood's capabilities.

The backgrounds were just brilliant, especially in the amount of detail.

Light reflects off the individual stubble of Drake.

The treasures are no longer tiny glowing lights, but actual in game objects.

Not much else. The game feels rushed to probably supply the demand of on-line play.

Oh yeah, I don't play multi player, so I can judge that feature.

I'll still play the next one, though I'm glad I first read reviews and then borrowed a friend's copy to test it, but then ended up quickly finishing it.

This game just doesn't have that wow and mind blowing craftness of Uncharted 1 and 2.

Edited by Omegablue

If memory serves me that is a quicktime kill move that only occcurs when the enmy is at a certain health level. A on screen button push prompt comes up to do it.

it's different from the quicktime movies when you finish off a boss or big mech. no onscreen button prompts.

in this clip , the move is done a lot starting at 0:15, and at 0:26 it's done to an enemy which just arrived at the scene and had full health.

i'm already on the last mission, but regardless, i'd love to know how it's done. is it one of the saber combos or a parry and counterattack? thanks

Edited by Major Focker

Finished Uncharted 3. Very disappointed. For me the second game is still the ultimate in action platform.

Here's a brief summary of my view.

A lot of running stages. Yip, just running.

More than usual areas where you get in, and then just make your way out.

Around 10 hours it took to me to finish the game.

The finale is pretty much the same as the previous game, underground city that then collapses but minus a final boss.

Quite a few glitches.

The puzzles were way too easy, and the scale of their areas were pointlessly unused.

The stranded desert chapter dragged a bit too long. Walk a little bit here, cut scene of the sky, walk a some more, another cutscene, and etc...

Not much reply value in single player mode as the game is pretty flat linear.

The horses running as fast as the trucks was a bit too much.

A lot of the story wasn't explained. Like the instant aging in the mansion. How the one villian was shot, but then surprised everyone as he shortly returned.

Backgrounds to Alena and Drake's seperation wasn't explained. Nor anything regarding the new member in the team, Carter.

Sullivan through out the game acts like he can't jump and run fast, but at the end out sprints and out jumps Drake.

Exploration of the levels is very limited unlike the previous two games where the treasures were truly well hidden. Everything in this third game lies on your linear path.

No real big fighting level unlike the previous game where you go against a helicopter and a tank.

The big shooting areas could be finished from a few spots. Didn't really require you to move about to finish the stage.

The flat textures of the town's people stood out, as the playable characters were hyper realistic.

The shop is gone.

The sneaking stages really have one path to follow unlike the previous game.

Good things.

Some of the cinematics were again beyond Hollywood's capabilities.

The backgrounds were just brilliant, especially in the amount of detail.

Light reflects off the individual stubble of Drake.

The treasures are no longer tiny glowing lights, but actual artifacts.

Not much else. The game feels rushed to probably supply the demand of on-line play.

Oh yeah, I don't play multi player, so I can judge that feature.

I'll still play the next one, though I'm glad I first read reviews and then borrowed a friend's copy to test out, but then ended up quickly finishing it.

This game just doesn't have that wow and mind blowing craftness of Uncharted 1 and 2.

yup, completely agree. Uncharted 3 was a letdown compared to uncharted 2 and so much of it felt recycled or a collection of deleted scenes... you know, stuff that is neat but just doesn't quite work.

Well, lucky me. I'd just decided to go buy Uncharted 3 this weekend, when I stumbled on this post. As a strictly solo offline player, if the replay value sucks, I'm not buying it.

it's different from the quicktime movies when you finish off a boss or big mech. no onscreen button prompts.

in this clip , the move is done a lot starting at 0:15, and at 0:26 it's done to an enemy which just arrived at the scene and had full health.

i'm already on the last mission, but regardless, i'd love to know how it's done. is it one of the saber combos or a parry and counterattack? thanks

Oh, it's been awhile since I played TFU2, but IIRC it's a throw. An enemy attack will interrupt it, but it can be used against enemies who are blocking. If the enemy is close to a ledge, you'll throw him off, but enemies with enough health (like a Sith Acolyte) will survive the attack. I want to say it's triangle + circle at the same time, but my memory is a little hazy.