All Things Video Games Thread: II

I've always envied guys who could afford arcade machines in their home. When I was still a teen, the only place I could get access to these machines was in the smoke-filled interior of seedy arcade shops, sharing elbow space with not-so-savory types.

Street Fighter Turbo was worth it, though.

A virtual girlfriend who doesn't put out? And people pay for that? :blink:

Looks like art imitating real-life to me...

I can't beleive I didn;t realize this earlier! There's an online patch for War for Cybertron's hanging glitch?!

One question though: can I download this to my computer and then transfer it via thumbdrive? I'm not a fan of DLC's and never bother setting up the internet connection for my PS3. I'd hate to have to set everything up just for a patch.

Any advice?

I can't beleive I didn;t realize this earlier! There's an online patch for War for Cybertron's hanging glitch?!

One question though: can I download this to my computer and then transfer it via thumbdrive? I'm not a fan of DLC's and never bother setting up the internet connection for my PS3. I'd hate to have to set everything up just for a patch.

Any advice?

connect your PS3 to the internet and join the rest of us in the 21st century?

connect your PS3 to the internet and join the rest of us in the 21st century?

B-But...I like my animal skins and wooden club. :D

Seriously though, I'm just too damn lazy to set things up in the first place, and since I don't download DLC's or play online games, there's very little in PSN to make me want to go online.

Hence, my post: can I download the patch onto my computer and install it via thumbdrive?

Edited by GU-11

B-But...I like my animal skins and wooden club. :D

Seriously though, I'm just too damn lazy to set things up in the first place, and since I don't download DLC's or play online games, there's very little in PSN to make me want to go online.

Hence, my post: can I download the patch onto my computer and install it via thumbdrive?

If there's a way to do it, I'm not aware of it. And if there's a way to do it, it can't be any easier that connecting your PS3 to the internet.

If there's a way to do it, I'm not aware of it. And if there's a way to do it, it can't be any easier that connecting your PS3 to the internet.

Well, at least I tried asking. Guess I'll have to break open the manual and start hooking up the modem to my PS3 just this once. Damn these game designers and their dependency on the Net to fix their own crap.

*edited for typos.

Edited by GU-11

Well, at least I tried asking.

Hey you can totally download whatever and upload it to your PS3; I used to do that with my machine when I was convinced that the evil PSN network would destroy my life. If you decide to go online there's no "set up" involved, really. You just follow the prompts and you're there-not difficult at all.

Yeah, I don't recall "doing" anything for my PS3 or 360. Plug in the cable, turn it on, hit "ok" and "auto" and let it figure things out for itself. Unless you've got some weird dynamic piggybacked IP or something it should be able to do it with little to no input from you.

I do know that my 360 doesn't like open DNS though. Took me forever to figure out why all of a sudden I couldn't connect.

Right. Actually, I did run into a bit of a problem, in that I forgot the password to my wireless router so the PS3 couldn't access the network. Other than that, easy stuff...

I do know that my 360 doesn't like open DNS though. Took me forever to figure out why all of a sudden I couldn't connect.

Really? That's odd. I set my network up to use OpenDNS at the router level, since I didn't feel like changing the settings for the multiple computers I've got lying around. I haven't had trouble with any of my connections.

Right. Actually, I did run into a bit of a problem, in that I forgot the password to my wireless router so the PS3 couldn't access the network. Other than that, easy stuff...

I just ran into the same problem. I'd decided to try getting online using the PS3 after reading some posts here, when I stumbled upon your post and realized, I'd completely forgotten the password to my router as well.

In any case, it's no use. I searched for more info on the WFC freezing glitch, and to date, High Moon has not been able to resolve the problem. Word is, the same freezing problem happens in the DOTM game as well, which is their most recent TF game.

Can't believe I paid good money for a defective game.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm a little late, but I did end up getting Gundam Dynastry Warriors 3. I did not have the second game in the series, so this was a big jump for me. I've only played the game for a few hours, but I have a few positives about the game, but a few gripes as well.

As for positives, the cel shaded graphics, addition of TONS of new mobile suits and series, etc. was really great. The gameplay mechanics are really cool as well.

My gripes are a little more long-winding though. First of all, I really like the way the game was set up in Gundam DW 1, meaning that if you wanted to play through a character's' story arc, then you just click on him and everything progresses. Also, in the original mode of DW 1, each character had his own set of missions. In DW 3, every TEAM has its own story, so if I finish the entire story with Amuro, then playing as any of his other team members would kind of be boring as it's just the same missions over again with just a differens suit.

Also, I feel as though the official mode of DW 1 was a LOT better than these cruddy history missions in DW 3. As far as I can tell, they don't do a great job of following up with the story (In DW 1, the official mode was almost spot on to the actual anime story) and the fields don't really correlate well with locations as well (Fighting Ramba Ral in some weird factory?). Finally, the interactions between characters is pretty cruddy as well (In DW 1, they actually talked to each other about rational stuff that made sense storywise). In DW 3, it just seems like everyone is spewing their own idealistic "we need to change our hearts" crap without paying attention to each other at all.

I don't know, but I'm getting the feeling that DW 3 tried to make an allusion of having more substance while actually taking away a lot of it. I guess I just liked the way DW 1 flowed more....

Just started FF XIII-2 last night. Feels like an RPG again; you can talk to random people and go on quests. The environment feels like you're a part of it instead of trudging through the areas like a tunnel tour in XIII. Tons of choices to make, and supposedly each choice affects the ending in some way. It's also nice to see that they've improved on a minor gripe I;ve always noticed in RPG; clicking on the same NPC repeatedly no longer gives you the same old dialogue, but a different line each time...at least, up to a certain point. I clicked "talk" on an NPC up to four times, and she still gave a different line each time. Nothing major, but still nice.

English voice acting is decent and natural enough; nothing over-dramatic or out of character. The moogle noises annoy me, though. But then the Japanese version I heard from youtube annoyed me as well.

Gameplay-wise, not too different from XIII, except the "battleground" thing is back, where touching a monster/enemy teleports you to a stock battleground to fight in. Paradigm Shift system is still in place.

Can't say much from just those two hours of gameplay, but it's definitely more immersive than XIII, just as advertised. With supposedly multiple endings and a ton of extra unlockables, this sould keep me amused for quite a while.

Now when the hell are they going to release FF Versus XIII?!

Edited by GU-11

I've been waiting for Versus XIII since the day the announcement was made, being both a big fan of action-RPGs and a HUGE fan of Kingdom Hearts (with Versus made by the same studio). All I can say is that I hope Versus is released before the PS3 dies, and they'll have to trek all their work on to the PS4....

To be honest though, and I've been meaning to ask this for sometime, what's really left in the video game world that can be incorporated into the fourth generation consoles (PS4, xBox 720? lol, Wii U Mi Him). We've already seen some amazing advancements in visuals, immersive gameplay, and great online community interacitivity. I can't really see where else they can improve short of virtual life gaming...

I've been waiting for Versus XIII since the day the announcement was made, being both a big fan of action-RPGs and a HUGE fan of Kingdom Hearts (with Versus made by the same studio). All I can say is that I hope Versus is released before the PS3 dies, and they'll have to trek all their work on to the PS4....

To be honest though, and I've been meaning to ask this for sometime, what's really left in the video game world that can be incorporated into the fourth generation consoles (PS4, xBox 720? lol, Wii U Mi Him). We've already seen some amazing advancements in visuals, immersive gameplay, and great online community interacitivity. I can't really see where else they can improve short of virtual life gaming...

I've been wondering the same thing. Graphics-wise, the PS3 might still be able to measure up to 4th gen consoles in the first year or so. Depending on who you listen to, PS3 graphics have been said to be the best among current gen consoles, although more than a few x box owners would love to debate that. Either way, the PS3 was built with a 10 year lifespan in mind, so it'll probably still be around for a while yet.

As for revolutionary gaming, I think we're curently waiting for technology to give us that next eureka moment. In other words, gaming tech seems to have reached a plateau. I don't see any holodeck gaming in the cards or at least the next thirty to forty years or so.

For the time being, there's 3D gaming, but unless you're playing on a relatively large screen [50" and above], it's probably rather underwhelming. And then there's the question of those clunky glasses.

Yeah, 3D glasses really just didn't flow well with me. I have a 52 inch Bravia XBR, but 3D still looks like crap, and playing with it on puts you at a HUGE disadvantage gamewise, with everyone that is not plyaing 3D kicking your butt. And putting glasses over my glasses isn't fun at all (and the glasses are EXPENSIVE). tbh, 3D just seems like a gimmick that will die very quickly.

As for the PS3's 10 year life span, really? I haven't heard that before. I heard some rumors that a *PS4* was set for sail in 2014 to early 2015? I don't know, but it seems logical to make a move by the then. I think Sony is gonna try to correct their mistake from last time, specifically getting into the game way too late, and having to trek lost time. It's a good thing they were riding the momentum of the PS2, but a lot of launch screw ups really hurt them. I'm guessing that they will strike first into the 4th generation, and reap the benefits...

Yeah, one of the main reasons the PS3 was so late in release was partially because they wanted the absolute best tech and hardware that was supposed to knock the socks off the Wii and XBox 360. They did in a way, but the late release cost the PS3 a large chunk of the pie with game companies opening up their former PS-exclusive games to XBox and Wii. I think the guy in charge of the PS3 project was ordered to resign as a result of that.

I remember quite well that Sony said the PS3's hardware was meant to outlive the XBox 360 and Wii.

They also repeated that statement after announcing that there would be no PS4 announcement at this year's E3. While they probably won't be waiting the full ten years before releasing the PS4, the PS3 is supposed to stay relevant longer than the PS2's six years, if that makes any sense. In any case, Sony has repeatedly said that current games haven't even started to challenge the capabilities of the PS3.

Honestly, it's hard to imagine what the PS4 would be like, since each new generation of the Playstation is accompanied by a new generation of content storage for the games. When the PS was launched, it used CD's to house game content instead of cartridges, and then the PS2 used DVD's, followed by BD's for the PS3. Not sure if or when there will be another revolutionary data storage media in the horizon, or it they'd simply move to direct downloads instead. That kind of sucks, IMO, since the data is intangible [not store in physical media but inside the HDD, and they obviously won't let you copy it into discs for safe keeping]--if the HDD crashes, that's your whole game collection gone. Or would Sony allow you to re-download the games in case of such an event?

All that said, some are suspicious that Sony might be trying to pull the wool over our eyes with all these announcements about "no PS4."

Edited by GU-11

I don't think it's a good idea for anyone (aside from Nintendo) releasing a new home console right now. The world's economy is in the crapper, unemployment is rampant all over the place. Both Sony & Microsoft would be smart to hang out another 2 years before releasing new hardware. Nintendo on the other hand released an underpowered system intentionally, whether or not people will jump on the wii-u (read wii that should have been released in the first place) i anyone's guess.

Aaaand there goes a big rant about proper generational numbering. (The NES is fourth generation, if we're particularly abusive in what constitutes a game console, fifth generation if we want to be REASONABLE about things. PS3 is more like the twelth generation of game consoles. With portables on a clearly different tree.)

And a smaller rant about why the LAST generation was two years early too(because Microsoft got in a big pissing match with nVidia and wanted the XBox dead as fast as possible, so they forced the 360 out early).

Along with some bitching about the PS3's hardware design(Halfassed design with eleventh-hour changes bottleneck the graphics subsystem terribly. Sony BRAGS that the system is harder to program for, with early ten-year claims tied to that being how long it would take developers to understand the hardware).

I don't even know what hotkey I HIT to blow it all away, but it worked good.

Edited by JB0