All Things Video Games Thread: II

This may seem like a real elementary question, but can you save game files and trophy collections from a PS3 onto a flash drive? Looking for ways to back up my games just in case my PS3 gives out on me.

Yeah, there's a backup option in the PS3's system menu. Some copy-protected game saves might not transfer, though. As for trophy data, that should sync with your PSN ID.

Yes, but that's still vastly inferior to say most Bioware games, where the button will actually switch between 2 favorites. It seems pointless to have a button that is only "equip healing spell" and not "alternate between healing spell and preferred weapon".

Since the left/right don't re-equip the previous item, the favorites list has to be pretty big just to be able to re-equip all the stuff left/right keeps replacing.

I just now remembered to check this thread to see if there were any replies to what I said last week. Yeah I agree with that, heck even in wow you don't have to go through that to heal up, you just hit a button on one of your hotbars.

In other news, Steam is having a fall sale right now, check it out daily if you use your pc for gaming as well.

Edited by mrhillz

I picked up a 3DS at Target. $145, plus 5% off for using a Target credit card. The 3D is kind of neat, but ultimately gimmicky. I'm not super impressed with the hardware itself, although (battery life aside) it's really no worse than the DS (and I LOVED my DS Lite). It's the games that make or break a system. So far, I'm not really impressed with the available 3DS software, save for Super Mario 3D Land. It's the most fun I've had with a handheld game in a very long time, indeed, it's better than a lot of the console/PC games I've played this year, and definitely worth buying a 3DS for.

well, i'm a bit over halfway in MGS4, and it has, so far proven the best PS3 game i've played to date, by far!

truly is, like all the MGS entries before it, a true EXPERIENCE, rather than a mere simple "Video Game"

i REALLY enjoyed all the small details, such as the wild Guinea Pig herds in the South American portion of the game. way to go, Director Kojima!!

and the

battle between MG REX and MG RAY; an honest-to-god Mecha battle between the two?!?

Z.O.M.G. straight out of the wildest wet dreams i had, going through MGS1 on the PS1 back in 1998!!

WHAT a sendoff to the series, Kojima-san!!!! :lol::D:lol:

Edited by Shaorin

lol @ yhatzee, that guy is hilarious! Even though his comedy may be a bit on the innappropriate side, it still gives me a good laugh.

And yeah, I'm in Eugimon's boat. I have Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, and Skyrim, and have no clue which one to play :wacko: I don't have too much free time on my hands, and I'm soo eager to get through all three of them.

In terms for those who enjoy modern warfare 3 though, if you really want to feel like a boss each round without having to have a constant sweat to see if you can rack up 10+ killstreaks, I suggest you use the support killstreak function and pick juggernaut at 18. 18 guys to bring down a round overall isn't too bad, and I can usually pull it off every round without a sweat. For those 18, you get dropped a crate with probably one of the best support equipment in the game.

Once you're a juggernaut, honestly, almost nothing can get to you. You're indeed invincible at that point. I remember that in domination, our team was in the loss and we needed to capture B flag to bring ourselves back into the fight. I dropped the juggernaut armor, and pretty much walked into B flag, which was a warzone at that point. Guys all around me, but with a riot shield and pistol, it actually wasn't much of a sweat. It's amazing how much beating the jug suit can take.

Just a little tip I guess ;)

I don't really like the recon Juggernaut. yeah your heavily armored but all you get is that stupid pistol so your basically useless on offence. all it's good for is capturing points in domination matches (as you said) and holding on to the flag in team defender. btw, a sticky grenade and a full belt of mk. 46 ammo to the back will drop a recon Juggernaut pretty easy.

personally I like playing kill confirmed with either the striker or the P90 with the recon strike chain. that and ending a support chain with EMP because I'm a dick. :p

also, I love the recon drone. it's so easy to rack up points with that thing.

Edited by anime52k8

^I agree with you that the recon juggernaut isn't great in terms of offense, but it really does wonders in terms of capturing positions (as you said). furthermore, I think that if you're good enough, you can really make that pistol swing for you (well, I guess I have a slight advantage. I used to exclusively snipe in modern warfare 1 and 2, so I got pretty good at using the pistol). And hey, if you run out of ammo, just charge them and shield bash :D Always effective in completely scaring the enemies away :)

Honestly though, I think it's a pretty good trade - off compared to the 15 killstreak one has to get to get an assault juggernaut suit with assault rifle. Now that is pretty hard to do each game.

I haven't tried the recon drone. How does one get points with it? I don't remember it having weaponry equipped

recon drone is great, you tag the enemy and they light up on the map for everyone on your team, when your team kills them you get the assist points.

Yep. you get 100XP for calling one in, then you get the same XP as a kill in that game mode every time you tag something plus 10 or 20XP for the assist. Also, in adition to people you can tag Killstreak rewards and the thing acts as a mobile radar Jammer while it's in flight.

Personally I don't even use assault strike chains any more. I prefer support with UAV/counter UAV, recon drone, and either remote turret or stealth bomber depending on game mode.

Edited by anime52k8

Has anyone tried the osprey support for the support chain? How many care packages does it drop, and are those care packages restricted to support killstreaks or can they contain assault killstreaks as well. If they can drop in assault killstreaks, I might go with that instead of jug armor.

The osprey drops 5 crates. Most of the time it will be 4 packages and an explosive decoy but sometime all 5 will be packages. It does drop both support and assault killstreaks but it's statistically weighted towards support.

Well guys I took advantage of the black friday sales and picked up the following games for the 360

Madden 12(the curse still lives!)

Battlefield 3

Dynasty Warriors 7

WWE 12(with the Rock)

Rage:anarchy edition

Driver: San Fransico

Saints Row the Third

Forza 4

Janes Advanced Strike Fighters

...and I am possibly the only person in north america that owns Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge. Seriously when I bought the game the guy looked at me and said "what the f**** is this?"

Edited by renegadeleader1

So does anyone else have a 3DS? I bought one pretty much for Super Mario 3D Land, and I'll probably be picking up Mario Kart 7 on Sunday. What else is good? Even though I really didn't like it on the N64, I picked up Ocarina of Time 3D, and I'm thinking about getting Dead or Alive Dimensions as I've been a pretty big fan of that series. Oh, and I heard that Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy is supposed to be more like the PS2 Ace Combat games than the Assault Horizon game on the PS3/Xbox 360.

So does anyone else have a 3DS? ... What else is good?

I've just got Star Fox, Ocarina and Mario Land so far. I fully intend to grab Mario Kart when it comes out, I also plan to get Devil Survivor but I think that's a remake of the DS game. But I never played the DS game so this would be the version to get I imagine.

I've heard good things about Cave Story 3D and been waiting to see some reviews on the 3DS version of Sonic Generations.

Beyond that, all the games I want are still on the horizon. The Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton game that's coming out eventually, Animal Crossing and Paper Mario, Metal Gear 3D, that fantastic looking Square RPG the name of which I'm forgetting at the moment, I also heard a Rune Factory game was announced so I'll nab that.

I've just got Star Fox

And how is it?

I did pick up Dead or Alive today. And I noticed a lot of placing are selling Ridge Racer 3D for $20. I'm going to have to add that to the list. While Ridge Racer 6 and 7 were pretty forgettable, I loved Ridge Racer on the PSP.

It's Star Fox 64 with much better graphics and full screen multiplayer.

I love it, but I loved it back then, too, and there hasn't been a Star Fox I liked since.

I've only done one play-through so far, and just like the N64 game, you can breeze through it pretty easily, the challenge is opening up all the alternate missions. I wish I knew more people with a 3DS because I'd love to give local multiplayer a whirl.

I tried the Voltron demo. It's kind of... meh. If the demo is any indication, it looks like you spend most of you time in a single lion (with co-op play), and it's kind of mediocre twin stick shooter. The demo was sorely lacking in actual Voltron.

On the plus side, I love the cartoon clips.

Is it me?

Or does anyone else feel like this new zelda pulled an Apple on us? (iPhone 4s) fanboys be calm, i am an iPhone owner, but back to the point.... did i just grow up of am i just too HD'ed everything now that my eyes cannot take the less than impressive graphics, strangely i have to say that twilight Princes look much better than Skyward Sword.

I like the more mature theme, i hate that they are going backwards, and i am really disappointed that the design choice of the game was swayed by the graphical limitations of the WII. I have tried and tried to get into it... but alas, i cannot take this game seriously and it is really bothering me, i can't understand why? I really love the Zelda series and i was so excited about this.

but i am really tired go hearing bizarre grunts and reading text, i mean c'mon, welcome to 2012!!!

any thoughts guys

or is it just me?

And now there seems to be a bug that Nintendo has no patch for and does not look like they will ever solve.

Apperantly at some point in the game, if you try and solve a dragon song quest in a ccertain sequence, you will not be able to save with that data for the rest of the game

From nintendo :

This issue'We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.

WILL NOT OCCUR if the Fire and Water Dragon songs have already been collected before collecting the Thunder Dragon's song. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue.

If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.

I wish I had a better answer, but I'm afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support.

Sincerely,

Sharon Matheny'

Creator of Mario, Zelda Says "I'm Retiring", Will Make Smaller Games

As head of game design from Nintendo, to work on something smaller, he says.

Video game legend, Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda has announced that he is retiring from his position as head of Nintendo's game design department, "to work on smaller, more personal projects," within the company, according to an interview with Wired

"Inside our office, I've been recently declaring, 'I'm going to retire, I'm going to retire,'" Miyamoto said through his interpreter. "I'm not saying that I'm going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position." He went on to say that he's taking a leave from supervising massive games like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword to work on projects that won't take as long to complete.

"What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself," Miyamoto said. "Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small." He hopes that this small project will start in 2012.

The reasoning behind Miyamoto's retirement is entirely selfless. He wants to send a message that he won't always be around for younger developers to rely on. "The reason why I'm stressing that is that unless I say that I'm retiring, I cannot nurture the young developers," he said. "After all, if I'm there in my position as it is, then there's always kind of a relationship. And the young guys are always kind of in a situation where they have to listen to my ideas. But I need some people who are growing up much more than today."

Just a quick update. Been running around in Halo CE Anniversary. The graphical upgrade is nice, but the game design is dated, and if I have to walk through yet more reused/ recycled passageways and compartments, or go into that same room to kill sleeping grunts quietly, or see the same bridge stretching out in front of the door... grrr.

Since I came into the game late, it's a good opportunity for me to get back to where it started, but honestly, for the old Halo fans, it's probably not the best buy.