All Things Video Games Thread: II

ive not played Multi yet for BF3 (PC). right now im taking a break because im nerd raging from SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN. i cant seem to kill the guy in the bathroom for pt4. either my mouse imputs are wrong or i mistime it but i consistantly cant get the kill. sssssssssssooooooooooooooooo F&*^ing nerd mad about LOL... any suggestions (or better yet? cheat codes?)

Edited by pensives_wetness

Working on the side missions in Sonic Generations. Totally worth it to unlock the classic BGM's from Sonic's 20 years.

Getting S rank on some of these missions is going to be a pain.

Edited by shiroth

ive not played Multi yet for BF3 (PC). right now im taking a break because im nerd raging from SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN. i cant seem to kill the guy in the bathroom for pt4. either my mouse imputs are wrong or i mistime it but i consistantly cant get the kill. sssssssssssooooooooooooooooo F&*^ing nerd mad about LOL... any suggestions (or better yet? cheat codes?)

No cheats will save you. You miss the button window, and he kills you. When you see the icon appear, just tap the button. Don't button mash unless is keeps blinking.

No cheats will save you. You miss the button window, and he kills you. When you see the icon appear, just tap the button. Don't button mash unless is keeps blinking.

Heh, I dislike the "Press 'F' for action!" that's settling in with FPS. Never thought I'd see the day that happens in a BF game.

ive not played Multi yet for BF3 (PC)

GAH! Stab me in the heart!

Edited by Warmaker

I never played Twilight Princess all of the way through, but I was thoroughly entertained. I'm extremely intrigued by Skyward Sword. Before yesterday, I didn't even know it was about to come out. All I need to do is find a few dollars to spend on a rental, lol.

I've never liked a 3D Zelda.

Not even Ocarina of Time?

Dang I might have to buy a Wii...

Edited by myk

Well, my brother's life is officially over for the next, oh, year, since he picked up The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at midnight on 11/11/11. ^_^

If I get a chance to play the thing, I'll give my review. I'll also hopefully get a chance to tell you all how badass that resin draconic bastard really is.

Not even Ocarina of Time?

Dang I might have to buy a Wii...

Not even Ocarina of Time. Or, especially not Ocarina of Time, since I pretty much hated it from the start (to be fair, I played until Link became an adult, so I gave it a fair shake I think). The Windwaker almost won me over, but the sailing got too boring for me. And Twilight Princess seemed ok, but I just got bored with it. I never bothered to even try Majora's Mask.

For what it's worth, I like the 2D Zelda's just fine, including the Gameboy Color games (although I never got around to playing the ones on the DS). It's just the 3D ones I don't like. I'm almost the same way with Mario... I LOVE the 2D games, but I'm lukewarm on Mario 64 and Galaxy 2, and I can't stand Sunshine. I did like the first Galaxy, though.

Now, just to be difficult, I'm not a big fan of 2D Sonic games. Whenever I try the Genesis games or the GBA games, they just don't hold my interest. But Sonic Adventure was the reason I bought a Dreamcast, and I loved the recently-released Sonic Generations (where I much preferred Modern Sonic's levels).

I have a question about Dynasty Warriors 7 Extreme Legends.

I've been a fan since DW3, and I'm really looking forward to a WORTHY next gen DW in the form of DW7 EL [finally, dual language is back!] Thing is, I've read in a game forum that you actually need the DW7 disk in order to play Extreme legends. Is this true or is it just a bunch of seven-year-olds speaking out of their ass?

I skipped DW7 due to the mediocre reviews, which means I don't own a copy.

Last I remember, you didn't need the earlier disk to play Extreme Legends. But that was for the PS2, so I'm not sure if things have changed any in PS3.

Any thoughts?

I posted this in the PS3 thread, but I thought it was relevant to this thread as well. Although this may seem inherent and quite intuitive, I thought it'd be good to take this time to say that Skyrim is most likely one of the best games I've ever played. No questions asked.

If you can bump yourself up to 1080p running at 120 hz on a large flatscreen, trust me, you'll never have experience anything so amazing. The beautifully performed score accompanying the amazing gameplay, really well scripted NPCs, and simply awesome scenery really make you feel like you're on an adventure, akin to something of a Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings type scenario.

I could go on about this game for hours, but those would be hours spent not playing the game :D

So far I really only have 2 complaints about Skyrim:

1. The "quick favorites" (left and right on d-pad) seem to be backwards/unintuitive. They don't swap between 2 sets like many RPG's. It simply replaces whatever you have with the pre-selected item. So when you're done with that item and want to go back to what you had---have to do it the long, slow way. (hitting the button again will often leave you totally unequipped, which is worse than having the wrong weapon)

2. You'll get "rock joint" every other fight with wolves. And you WILL want to have it cured immediately, unless you're a pure mage or something.

1. The "quick favorites" (left and right on d-pad) seem to be backwards/unintuitive. They don't swap between 2 sets like many RPG's. It simply replaces whatever you have with the pre-selected item. So when you're done with that item and want to go back to what you had---have to do it the long, slow way. (hitting the button again will often leave you totally unequipped, which is worse than having the wrong weapon)

2. You'll get "rock joint" every other fight with wolves. And you WILL want to have it cured immediately, unless you're a pure mage or something.

I'm playing int on the pc. I haven't had that problem with rock joint on wolves, you have to hit the Q key to go to favorites on here, not that big of a deal to me.

so, I installed mw3 on my xbox360 slim and while everything else plays fine, multiplayer is slow and choppy. Even the lobby music cuts in and out and the menu is slow and unresponsive. Any ideas on what's causing this?

I have PS3, and that happens to me from time to time. I wouldn't worry about it, and unless you know for sure that you're internet connection isn't up to par, its most likely a network issue that Infinity Ward will have to deal with.

Actually, this has happened to me before a LOT on COD4. It happened to be a problem with the disc that time. I just gave the disc a quick wipe down, and it worked out find.

So yeah, either way, don't sweat it.

@David,

I actually like the little favorites menu, as although you can't switch between pre-made set - ups, it does let you customize EVERYTHING on the fly, which is kinda cool. And I don't think there are limits as to how many favorites you can have.

I don't know about rock joint though. I'm both a warewolf and wood elf, so I don't have to deal with poison or disease....

If it annoys you, you should go become a warewolf! :lol:

Picked up Super Mario Land 3D. Disappointed that it's a linear level progression and not a Mario 3/World style map, but otherwise it's a pretty solid title. Sometimes feels like the 3D games, other times like the old 2D games. Lots of Mario 3 nods. Lot of fun, tho pretty easy and seems like I'm already getting to the end even tho I haven't put all that much time into it.

Still, an easy recommendation for 3DS owners.

Whenever you have something in your favorites, just hit up on your D-pad and it will list all of your favorites (I don't know if this will pause the game, though), you then can re-equip from that list.

Yes, but that's still vastly inferior to say most Bioware games, where the button will actually switch between 2 favorites. It seems pointless to have a button that is only "equip healing spell" and not "alternate between healing spell and preferred weapon".

Since the left/right don't re-equip the previous item, the favorites list has to be pretty big just to be able to re-equip all the stuff left/right keeps replacing.

Yes, but that's still vastly inferior to say most Bioware games, where the button will actually switch between 2 favorites. It seems pointless to have a button that is only "equip healing spell" and not "alternate between healing spell and preferred weapon".

Since the left/right don't re-equip the previous item, the favorites list has to be pretty big just to be able to re-equip all the stuff left/right keeps replacing.

Gotta agree. I find the ui to e really cumbersome compared to bioware's games.

Regarding Skyrim (PC version), overall the game is quite nice and very immersive. My only real gripe, but a huge gripe, is the UI. Simply put, I haven't seen such a clumsy, horrible, badly designed, inaccurate UI in any sort of game since the 90s. The UI is blatantly designed, optimized for console hand controllers. The second you hit TAB and it's obviously clear. It's tedious to equip items (don't get me started on the hotkey & favorites idiocy). Clicking on something with the UI, whether it be an item in the inventory or a dialogue option, is frequently dicey. I click on something but the game says I clicked on something completely different on the opposite end of the submenu. To see the status of my character, I have to dive between 2 submenus on polar opposite ends (stats / skills, active status effects). Bethesda I think forgot what a UI on the PC platform should go by. Stupid when you think that this company made its name on RPGs designed for the PC.

For every step I make in trying to enjoy the game, Skyrim's UI slaps me across the face telling me to stop.

Regarding Skyrim (PC version), overall the game is quite nice and very immersive. My only real gripe, but a huge gripe, is the UI. Simply put, I haven't seen such a clumsy, horrible, badly designed, inaccurate UI in any sort of game since the 90s. The UI is blatantly designed, optimized for console hand controllers. The second you hit TAB and it's obviously clear. It's tedious to equip items (don't get me started on the hotkey & favorites idiocy). Clicking on something with the UI, whether it be an item in the inventory or a dialogue option, is frequently dicey. I click on something but the game says I clicked on something completely different on the opposite end of the submenu. To see the status of my character, I have to dive between 2 submenus on polar opposite ends (stats / skills, active status effects). Bethesda I think forgot what a UI on the PC platform should go by. Stupid when you think that this company made its name on RPGs designed for the PC.

For every step I make in trying to enjoy the game, Skyrim's UI slaps me across the face telling me to stop.

don't blame this on console optimization. The UI for the 360/PS3 is awful as well. I find the whole favorites system to be pretty awkward and it makes chaining different abilities/spells a real pain.

Just ranting a bit here.

I just bought DW7 - Xtreme Legends. Guess what? Those seven-year-old kids WERE right...in a way. With Extreme Legends, you only get to play Legends mode, which supposedly has no cutscenes [not sure if they meant no CG FMV cutscenes but with in-game ones, or just no cutscenes, period.] Hell, I;m not even sure if the individual characters have their own story arc in Legends mode! In order to play Story mode and Conquest mode, you have to buy the main DW7 game, and do a disc swap! <_<

In order to get the complete experience, you'll need the DW7 disc.

Here I was, thinking I was getting the best of both worlds with Extreme Legends. There was supposed to be 3 new characters and dual language, and even the ability to use whichever character you wanted, which it did have, but at the expense of Story mode! From now on, it's either the main DW game or I'm skipping the game altogether. All this while I kept getting the impression that Extreme Legends was a more complete version of the main game, like MGS Substance and Subsistence were to their respective games.

Rant complete.

Now I'll have to go get me a copy of DW7.

Did y'all pick up Skyward Sword yesterday?

I had to cancel my order from Amazon since they were going to delay my shipment to mid December. Apparently they didn't have enough copies for all the preorders. How in the HECK does this still happen today? Anyways, I picked it up on my way to work from Wal-Mart this morning and plan on putting in some quality time with it over the next several days. :)

I just finished my first play through of MW3.

I'm confused and disappointed why they chose to kill off Soap. From a story perspective, what is the point of Soap surviving the stab wound from the fight with Shepard, then being pulled out of Afghanistan by Nikolai, being nursed back to health in India, then rejoining the 141, only to die again for a less significant cause and in a less significant way? :wacko: If you're going to kill off Soap, why not have him die in Afghanistan after throwing the knife into Shepard's eye? Taking out the corrupt general, and saving Price with his dying breath would have been a far more emotionally impactful way to buy the farm. It makes no sense to me. I wish they would have killed off Price instead, and left Soap alive to become the new grizzled old veteran/mentor for the future, the same way Price presumably replaced his old mentor MacMillan. Soap could have been the next mentor for a new up and coming rookie if they decide to keep going with the Modern Warfare franchise.

Edit: Spoiler tags fixed.

Edited by Vic Mancini

I don't think the UI is that bad. But yeah, even on console, there are improvements that can be made. In general, when one equips a sword of some kind, it auto's either a shield or a spell of its own choice to the other hand, meaning that corrections and whatnot need to be made.

In general, to cope with this, I only keep 2 weapons, 2 - 3 spells, and 2 special abilities (Beast form and Unrelenting Force) in the menu.