All Things Video Games Thread: II

Yeah, I had bad company 1 and 2. In one, sniper rifles weren't that great, but in 2, they were amazing! In bad company 2, you could literally stand on top of a hill a mile away and pick people off with one, but it wasn't easy. You had to calculate for bullet drop, and only head shots were I hit KOs. Anywhere else on the body, and you had to go for the second shot, which was usually impossible as the guy would have ducked for cover by then. I liked that sniper rifles were powerful, but not easy 1 hit KOs, making you work for the shot.

In comparison, in BF3, even headshots rarely work, and you have to spam rounds into the guy even with a bolt action weapon. Also, the environments don't really help the sniper, with covered hilltops etc. and guille suits completely nonexistant. :(

I play as an engineer now....

Yeah, I had bad company 1 and 2. In one, sniper rifles weren't that great, but in 2, they were amazing! In bad company 2, you could literally stand on top of a hill a mile away and pick people off with one, but it wasn't easy. You had to calculate for bullet drop, and only head shots were I hit KOs. Anywhere else on the body, and you had to go for the second shot, which was usually impossible as the guy would have ducked for cover by then. I liked that sniper rifles were powerful, but not easy 1 hit KOs, making you work for the shot.

In comparison, in BF3, even headshots rarely work, and you have to spam rounds into the guy even with a bolt action weapon. Also, the environments don't really help the sniper, with covered hilltops etc. and guille suits completely nonexistant. :(

Guille Suits were in BF2 for the Snipers. It would've been really nice for BF3 with the abundance of vegetation.

Sniping. I was very good in sniping with BF2 and BF2142, but I got proficient with it after alot of time in those games. I'm willing to do the same with BF3 with a better feel of the pacing, movements, and of course the maps. Then I can be more proficient with the sniping. Right now, if I play Recon, I'm with a UMP45.

Also, Assault is by far the simplest, easiest, quickest one to get points in. In between dropping med packs, rez, as well as standard combat scores, you can rake in a tremendous amount of points in a short time span. EZ mode. Assault was the same easy way in BF2142, the first BF game where DICE trimmed down the classes. BF2 had seperate Assault and Medic classes, BF2142 was the first where DICE merged both. With BF3, you do have a decision to make with Assault. You can be the "medic" with some configuration (heal and rez). Or you can be a Grenadier. Assault Rifle + Grenade Launcher + Rez ability from Defib + Ammo trait = Flexible infantry killer with rez ability. It's one of my deadliest combos and very easy to play. The M320 Grenade Launcher oftenly has become my primary weapon, if I stick with a Support guy who feeds me ammo. With the Ammo trait, I can run around with 6 40mm Grenades. In areas with confined spaces, like Metro, I can do alot of damage with it.

Oh, and the Taclights are insanely stupid. I've used them and they are not that damn bright, during daylight and even at a distance. It's stupid. BF3 makes Taclights seem like you're staring at the sun during high noon. They're effective at night / lowlight conditions. Shine them up close and that person is blind. It's also detrimental since it destroys someone's natural "nightvision" for a good long while until their eyes readjust to the darkness again. But at broad daylight? Even from a distance? No. No freaking way it works like that.

Now thats realy something :lol: :

http://www.the-magic...me111029b.shtml

The Asian equivalent of a Blonde Ditz moment.

Edited by Warmaker

Guille Suits were in BF2 for the Snipers. It would've been really nice for BF3 with the abundance of vegetation.

They're using the Squad Designated Marksman feel instead of the guilied sniper.

Sniping. I was very good in sniping with BF2 and BF2142, but I got proficient with it after alot of time in those games. I'm willing to do the same with BF3 with a better feel of the pacing, movements, and of course the maps. Then I can be more proficient with the sniping. Right now, if I play Recon, I'm with a UMP45.

Consider using the Mk 11, SVD, M39 EMR, SKS, or Type 88. Sorry I don't long-range snipe but considering my tendencies to run into combat zones even as a sniper, I'd go with an automatic instead of a bolt-action. Heck, the VSS was my favorite as a Recon in BF:BC2. :)

went from playing Arkham City to Uncharted 3... I keep throwing grenades in dark rooms thinking I'm toggling on detective vision.

Uncharted was next on my list of games to play... before my PS3 got the ylod. Now I'm thinking maybe Sonic Generations on Steam.

I just picked up Uncharted 3 and 1 since i never played the first. I got my PS3 right when 2 came out soi jumped on that. I will get to those when I am done in Arkham. I plan on playing all 3 back to back as i did with God of War. Tragedy struck and my Arkham file was corrupted so i had to start all over. Though after completing it and getting everything it's real quick to go through the second time around. Just sucks since I got Nightwing but except for his and Robin's maps I had no challenge maps to play with for a day.

I just picked up Uncharted 3 and 1 since i never played the first. I got my PS3 right when 2 came out soi jumped on that. I will get to those when I am done in Arkham. I plan on playing all 3 back to back as i did with God of War. Tragedy struck and my Arkham file was corrupted so i had to start all over. Though after completing it and getting everything it's real quick to go through the second time around. Just sucks since I got Nightwing but except for his and Robin's maps I had no challenge maps to play with for a day.

How'd your save corrupt?

How'd your save corrupt?

I don't know, while in the main menu I would access the PSN store from within game then at one point when I left the store to just play and wait for Nightwing it said my game was corrupted. Lesson learned do not access the PSN store from within game if I don't have too. On a side note Nightwing is awesome, got a 73 hit combo with him so now I am shooting with 100. Then again Robin is awesome as well, makes Catwoman the weak link in gameplay, while i like using her it's just not as satisfying as the others.

Sonic Generations is released here tomorrow. I'll be running at super sonic speed to the Game shop after work to purchase my copy.

Yeah, I think it's out already for consoles in the US, but I'm waiting until tomorrow too, when it comes out on Steam. It's $20 less that the console versions.

EDIT: Actually, it's up on Steam now. 'Course, it'll probably take until tomorrow for me to finish downloading it.

Speaking of Steam, I see DC Universe is Free to Play now. Anyone have any experience with that? My only MMO experience is WoW (hated) and Star Trek Online (loved). I dig comic books, though, so I figure I'll check it out.

Edited by mikeszekely

They're using the Squad Designated Marksman feel instead of the guilied sniper.

Consider using the Mk 11, SVD, M39 EMR, SKS, or Type 88. Sorry I don't long-range snipe but considering my tendencies to run into combat zones even as a sniper, I'd go with an automatic instead of a bolt-action. Heck, the VSS was my favorite as a Recon in BF:BC2. :)

Recon: I agree after playing with the class a little more. Especially considering some of the tools available to the class with the TUGS (detector thingie), Radio Beacon. Combine that with the Semi-Auto Sniper Rifles and the fact that you need to keep at least somewhat close to your squad so they can actually benefit from your tools, it becomes that much more apparent that Designated Marksmen (DM) are the intent.

There is one difference though. With the SOFLAM, which I've finally been toying with a bit now after ignoring it after unlocking it a long time ago. Essentially it's a laser designator to mark targets with. Whatever targets you lock with it (very fast lock, I should mention), you get 10 pts for designation, and if anyone on your team has a lockable fire and forget missile system such as the Javelin (maybe even the ATGMs for IFV), can't miss and will hit for alot more damage. Javelins won't even need to see the target, and a top attack will occur. It can lock and paint ground vehicles from pretty far, and air vehicles can be painted too, but at a shorter range. To top it off, aircraft painted like this and shot at with missiles, will suffer tremendously because their chaff and flares will not work. The missiles follow the laser designation, period. Jets are less vulnerable since they zoom in and out, but helos tend to linger around and can be raped by being marked with SOFLAM. I think in the future this will be very important since DICE intends to make aircraft more powerful. Also, you can leave the SOFLAM at a spot, point it at a busy section, and it will automatically acquire and paint targets. Not as efficiently as you can, but you can leave it alone for teammates to benefit. In addition, you can zoom in like binoculars to use as a spotting tool also.

Edit to add: With the SOFLAM setup, you can step away from it and move away to a completely different area on the map. If you pull out the SOFLAM again, you get to see the remote controller. Use it and you can then view what the SOFLAM is seeing as well as still target with the device. All while being away from it. A safety note is that if you don't place the SOFLAM in a less conspicuous area, it draws alot of fire. So don't sit anywhere near it.

You can see a video guide on this on YouTube (do a search for BF3 how to use SOFLAM). I've toyed with it a bit and it's quite nice.

There's just a few negatives on that though. Right now, not many have ATGMs and Javelins unlocked. It'll work better with bigger server populations since somebody's bound to have unlocked ATGMs and Javelins. In addition, given enough time, more and more players will eventually unlock their Javelins and such. The battlefield can be even more dangerous for tanks, since there are some pretty slick Engineers who make tank killing their bread and butter with AT mines and RPGs / SMAWs already. Also, when it's on, you can see from a distance a faint red glow of the SOFLAM's laser. It's best to use it from an unexpected angle, not from the avenue of advance for your team. It's the most team oriented item in the game I have seen.

Edited by Warmaker

Sonic Generations is released here tomorrow. I'll be running at super sonic speed to the Game shop after work to purchase my copy.

I ordered my copy off Amazon after I saw it had been given a price cut. Hopefully getting in the mail today. I hate this time of the year. There are numerous games coming out that I want to play all at once. I'll probably wait till the holidays to pick up BF3.

I hear that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is finally getting the console treatment. Looks like they had to rebuild the engine for consoles, which is probably why it's taking so long for the 360 (I don't know if it's coming for the PS3, though).

Any reviews anywhere for the 3DS version of Sonic Generations? Everything I've seen has been for home consoles/PC.

The 3ds version is coming out about 2 weeks after the console versions so the reviews will be delayed as well. Do you have no current console? Because the game is fantastic, but I can't see it having the same impact on a small screen.

I have a more than capable computer to play it, I just find myself rarely playing videogames at home these days. I still play plenty of portable games, tho.

I still need to finish Dead Space 2 and I'm still in the first chapter or two of Mass Effect 1.

So I'm more than a couple hours into uncharted 3 and I'm just going to come out and say it... Not as good as uncharted 2. Not by a long shot.

Is it better than Uncharted 1? Uncharted 2 would be pretty hard to top, but if it's the middle child in the franchise, I'll be content.

Is it better than Uncharted 1? Uncharted 2 would be pretty hard to top, but if it's the middle child in the franchise, I'll be content.

Definitely better than the first game and it's as polished as the second game but I feel like there's just a certain something missing... that WOW factor.

Recon: I agree after playing with the class a little more.

It's the most team oriented item in the game I have seen.

If anybody has played Battlefield: Bad Company 2, then you'll understand that you'll get more points for moving in with your squad/team than hanging back being a sniper. Battlefield 3 follows that same feel. Yes, one can snipe from long range and be merry, but helping the team is much more important and you'll be rewarded for it. In BC2, I spotted and threw motion detectors as a recon so that my team knew what was in the area. Staying back on Rush maps definitely will not work, especially when there's an objective to deal with.

If anybody has played Battlefield: Bad Company 2, then you'll understand that you'll get more points for moving in with your squad/team than hanging back being a sniper. Battlefield 3 follows that same feel. Yes, one can snipe from long range and be merry, but helping the team is much more important and you'll be rewarded for it. In BC2, I spotted and threw motion detectors as a recon so that my team knew what was in the area. Staying back on Rush maps definitely will not work, especially when there's an objective to deal with.

Raking in points as a traditional long-ranged, solo sniper has always been a low point scoring affair, I think. Just going from my time in BF2 and BF2142. Alot of points were raked in for support actions and capturing points. Relying only on sniping kills will net you good K/D ration but lacking in points. It didn't stop me from doing it once I was great at it, because I found myself being useful to the team doing Counter-Sniper or harassing the opposition. The only snipers I recall actually raking in great points were the insanely good ones. Sniper duels in a round was like a big game for me, and conceding defeat to someone felt better when I look up their stats later and see how damn good they were as one. I considered myself great in sniping in those games, but nowhere near in that upper echelon.

Last night I actually got into a sort of Fire Support squad. I was Recon, we had an Engineer with Javelins, and a Support with a Russian PKP, and Assault. Rare that we actually had all the classes in the same squad, and even more rare that the squad leader wanted to do exactly the long ranged stuff we were doing. Sorta happened because we were doing some of the bigger, open maps (refinery one, also Caspian Border). I lased and spotted with SOFLAM and the Javelin raped any vehicle that came within range. The Support guy was feeding us ammo as well as suppressing nearby infantry, Assault finished them off with his rifle as well as healing us up and rez on the spot. I had the radio beacon up nearby, just in case.

The marking of aircraft with SOFLAM and being hit by missiles regardless of Chaff / Flares does indeed work, and I had a chance to test it heavily in the refinery map. Some of the opposing pilots were messaging asking WTH was going on :ph34r: Very effective once the Engineers on the team (and you know there's lots of them) realized that they actually were hitting alot of aircraft that night. Life wasn't easy for air power, but Jets can get away with it still if they were smart: Fly in fast and hard, egress just as quickly. Helos? Those were the ones that were ripped apart since its in their nature to get in closer and not have the speed of jets. I got points for 10 target designating, 10 spot bonus (if destroyed), and 50 points for every hit the designated target receives.

Still, I do wish Recon received more points for spotting and designation. Because even after alot of actual successful spotting and designation, I'm still way behind in points compared to if I was playing the other 3 classes (esp. Assault).

Headshots do work. I go prone, pull out that big Russian PKP machine gun, aim at someone's chest, fire a short burst. The rising muzzle helps me get that headshot!

Edited by Warmaker

Definitely better than the first game and it's as polished as the second game but I feel like there's just a certain something missing... that WOW factor.

Well, Uncharted 2 really set the bar high. So I'm not too surprised.

On other game related topics, I finished the main game in Sonic Generations. I'm glad I bought it on Steam instead of consoles, because the game's pretty short (Steam says I've played about 5 hours). It's solid fun, though, and the replay value is pretty high.

Drop everything else and play that. Mass Effect 1 is still the best in the franchise, story-wise, by far. (and IMHO it's the best overall).

I highly agree with this. Sure i've only played about 20 or so hours on the second game because it keeps crashing on me :p, but personally it never lived upto the experience i had while playing the second. Fantastic game.

& agreeing with that's been said here already, Sonic Generations is fantastic. Played for about two hours, and i can easily say that Generations is satisfying. It's everything i hoped for and then some. Even if the main story won't take that long to complete, i don't see anything wrong with that. It's basically the same with the original series that we all fell in love with, though here there's a number of reasons to go back and replay these fantastic stages.

Having a hard time deciding on my favourite stage. Speed Highway is easily up there though, along with Chemical Planet. Both look absolutely stunning, especially in modern Sonic gameplay.

Well, Uncharted 2 really set the bar high. So I'm not too surprised.

On other game related topics, I finished the main game in Sonic Generations. I'm glad I bought it on Steam instead of consoles, because the game's pretty short (Steam says I've played about 5 hours). It's solid fun, though, and the replay value is pretty high.

Eh, 5 hours seems pretty normal for alot of games these days. Got mine for PS3 and have no complaints. The amount of extra and unlockable content is really up there. The shear speed on some stages is just way out there as well as the fun factor. I'm glad I picked it up.

I'm waiting till the holidays to pick up either Uncharted 3 or Battlefield 3.

Edited by Shadow