All Things Video Games Thread: II

I didn't get that much of a bonus as I didn't play Forza 3 Career that much. Plenty running up and down the Kaido and Nurburgring, just not in the Career.

Yeah, I remember in Forza 3 I managed to work a Mazda RX-8 into the top end of S-class. Could have gone into low R1 IIRC, but decided to play at the top of S instead. It was hilarious to go past supercars in that, but it handles like a pig -- straight lines are good, anything else is optional. I need to work on that...

I think you get something like 1000 credits for each driver level you have, and I was at 48, so 48,000 credits just for having a Forza 3 save. I was a bit disappointed that I only got a few cars from my F3 garage; I had a ton. I mean, I had the Achievement for owning one car by every manufacturer, for crying out loud.

As for beating the pants off supercars, my Evo handles pretty good. It might not stick to the road like a Koenigsegg or a Ferrari Enzo, but that WRC champion engineering is good for something. IIRC, Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi is or was a big fan of the Evos. I seem to recall him owning one (or more) in real life, and remarking that the Evo VII was one of the best cars for GT2 or 3. I also seem to recall an episode of Top Gear where an Evo VIII performed favorably with a Lamborghini Murcielago.

*sigh* I guess what I'm saying is that, in real life, the reason I bought a Lancer GTS is because I couldn't afford an Evo X.

I think you get something like 1000 credits for each driver level you have, and I was at 48, so 48,000 credits just for having a Forza 3 save. I was a bit disappointed that I only got a few cars from my F3 garage; I had a ton. I mean, I had the Achievement for owning one car by every manufacturer, for crying out loud. As for beating the pants off supercars, my Evo handles pretty good. It might not stick to the road like a Koenigsegg or a Ferrari Enzo, but that WRC champion engineering is good for something.

I wasn't very high level so didn't get much.. truth be told, I'm more interested in tinkering with street cars than the super cars. At least there's hope I can actually do something like that IRL. (Yeah right...)

Yeah, the non-import of cars from F3 is a disappointment. Especially if you had gone to the effort to tune some of the cars -- you have to start again. The Evo X, I was working on it in F3, but the first thing that car taught me was the difference in handling between a RWD and a 4WD. Same reason I bought a Murchilego in F3: 4WD meant power I can deal with and use.

As for MW.. well, I'll believe it when it gets shrink-wrapped. Sorry man, that title had been in vaporware lock for so long...

Went a bit too far in Forza 4 last night. Maxed out Volkswagon Affinity discount, then got into a Mazda 2 and maxed out Mazda Affinity discount too. Amazingly simple using F-class cars.

So went tinkering on the Mazda RX-8. It maxes out at R3 (from C!), but very tricky at R3.. Tested it out on the Speedway, it couldn't hold the curved track very consistently. Kept wobbling over the track, can't hold a line -- needs tuning but I don't know how to go about it. Dropped down to S class and it responds much better. The new Top Gear track set is nice as it has a few varieties of drag racing strips, which allow me to get to know tuning better. Now trying to get the gearing "fan" correct -- inconsistent results. I think I'm not getting enough traction on the takeoff, just too much power in those wheels, and not enough grip.

Anyone playing Arkham City. I got it, downloaded Catwoman and Robin during lunch and now I am just waiting to get off work before destroying it lol.

I picked it up. I only got the Catwoman pack, though. I think I'm a minority that thinks Arkham Asylum was better, but I'm definitely having fun with it.

Okay, Dungeon Defenders just came out two days ago and it's freaking awesome! For you PC users, there's a demo version available on Steam. This game is cross-platform: PC, 360, PS3, iOS. There's no reason you shouldn't give this game a good look!

I've been waiting for this game to come out for a couple of months and the wait was well worth it.

I've been playing alot of Dark Souls on the PS3 while I was recently on vacation. It was on my sister's PS3, and I intended to copy the save game to a prepared memory stick and upload it to my own console. But apparently the save games are set not to allow any copying. So now I have to start completely over after putting in serious time on this sucker. Ugh... As for the game itself, it's better than Demon's Souls. Environments feel more varied now, which is very nice.

Finally saw the Launch trailer for Battlefield 3. I actually have to say, the single player story looks interesting. I'm looking forward to well....everything but I'm curious to see what the fighter level will be like. From what I see, you play as the WSO rather then the pilot on an F/A-18F.

I've been playing alot of Dark Souls on the PS3 while I was recently on vacation. It was on my sister's PS3, and I intended to copy the save game to a prepared memory stick and upload it to my own console. But apparently the save games are set not to allow any copying. So now I have to start completely over after putting in serious time on this sucker. Ugh... As for the game itself, it's better than Demon's Souls. Environments feel more varied now, which is very nice.

From what I understand there is only one way to copy save protected files. You need to have ps+ and upload them to the cloud storage so you can then ownload them onto your own ps3 or you need to do a direct ps3 transfer, but I think that copies everything and you would lose whatever is on your own ps3.

In other words, copy protected saves suck.

I picked it up. I only got the Catwoman pack, though. I think I'm a minority that thinks Arkham Asylum was better, but I'm definitely having fun with it.

I kinda agree with you. I thoughtthere was a sense of claustrophobia and tension that was natural in Asylum that I find forced and contrived in City but it's still a really fun game and there's enough new things to keep it interesting and fun.

Has there been any more word on Metal Gear Solid Rising? Are they waiting until Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is released? Also, with next year being the 25th Anniversary of Metal Gear, I wonder if they are going to do a HD remake of the original Metal Gear or HD Metal Gear Solid?

Twich

Has there been any more word on Metal Gear Solid Rising? Are they waiting until Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is released? Also, with next year being the 25th Anniversary of Metal Gear, I wonder if they are going to do a HD remake of the original Metal Gear or HD Metal Gear Solid?

Twich

I'd love to see a remake of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. The second game was way ahead of its time. It would be nice if more light was shed on that game.

Has anyone played JASF: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters?

I'm trying to find modern air combat games for PC that are worth a damn. It used to be such a popular genre back in the day, and I really have the itch right now. I would love something with a little more realism than Ace Combat arcade style shooters, but maybe a little less realism than Falcon. JASF looks more along the lines of AC, but I'm so desperate that I'm actually thinking about getting it, or Hawx/Hawx2 even though the physics are so god awful. I'd really prefer something with accurate ammunition and G-force effects, but I'll take almost anything I can get at this point.

Anybody remember this classic from back in the day?

This was my air combat sim of choice way back when I was young. It was by the same makers as Wing Commander, but about a mercenary squadron of F-16s operating for hire out of Istanbul Turkey in 2011. A really good mix of semi-realistic flight physics, g-force, and accurate ammunition supply, as well as some morality choices in the contracts you chose to accept or refuse. I used to play this game endlessly when I was a kid.

I finished the main game in Arkham City tonight. I like the new gadgets and the general improvements to combat, and I like that a lot more of Batman's rogues gallery was in the game. But Arkham Asylum felt more coherent. The exploration in Arkham Asylum was like Metroid... the whole game takes place in one big map with different areas you can't get to until you unlock certain gadgets. Exploring Arkham City is more like Grand Theft Auto. Big hub and more missions than Arkham Asylum, but the areas that aren't the main hub city felt smaller.

Has anyone played JASF: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters?

I'm trying to find modern air combat games for PC that are worth a damn. It used to be such a popular genre back in the day, and I really have the itch right now. I would love something with a little more realism than Ace Combat arcade style shooters, but maybe a little less realism than Falcon. JASF looks more along the lines of AC, but I'm so desperate that I'm actually thinking about getting it, or Hawx/Hawx2 even though the physics are so god awful. I'd really prefer something with accurate ammunition and G-force effects, but I'll take almost anything I can get at this point.

If you're looking for a modern combat sim, look at Lock On: Platinum. I never played Falcon 4 so can't honestly compare them but you have access to 8 aircraft instead of one. I still have alot of the old combat sims I used to play like Jane's USNF '97 and Fighters Anthology. Also still have Microprose F-117 Stealth Fighter 2.0

If you're looking for a modern combat sim, look at Lock On: Platinum. I never played Falcon 4 so can't honestly compare them but you have access to 8 aircraft instead of one. I still have alot of the old combat sims I used to play like Jane's USNF '97 and Fighters Anthology. Also still have Microprose F-117 Stealth Fighter 2.0

Looks pretty good from the youtube vids I'm watching. What's the learning curve like? I do like realism but I also prefer games that teach you a little along the way instead of having to read a manual as thick as a phone book.

Looks pretty good from the youtube vids I'm watching. What's the learning curve like? I do like realism but I also prefer games that teach you a little along the way instead of having to read a manual as thick as a phone book.

There is certainly no phone book sized manual. All the button controls are listed in the options menu and those are adjustable. Unfortunatly, you have to adjust each aircraft individually so if you set up your F-15 in such a way you like, you step in a Su-33 and it won't be the same. Axis controls and flight characteristics of individual aircraft can be changed but I would keep them in the default setting. About the most complicated thing you'll run into are directing the Laser-guided A-G weapons, particularly on the Su-25. Thankfully there are a few video tutorials that train you on this and more online. Alot of people recommend the TrackIR for panning around the cockpit. I get along pretty well without it. The original game came out in 2003 and it got two big updates in Flaming Cliffs and FC2. Graphics are alittle dated and certainly not as pretty as what you see in FSX. There is still a sizable community behind this sim too. Every year, a virtual air show is put on that uses Lock On.

Edited by Shadow

There is certainly no phone book sized manual. All the button controls are listed in the options menu and those are adjustable. Unfortunatly, you have to adjust each aircraft individually so if you set up your F-15 in such a way you like, you step in a Su-33 and it won't be the same. Axis controls and flight characteristics of individual aircraft can be changed but I would keep them in the default setting. About the most complicated thing you'll run into are directing the Laser-guided A-G weapons, particularly on the Su-25. Thankfully there are a few video tutorials that train you on this and more online. Alot of people recommend the TrackIR for panning around the cockpit. I get along pretty well without it. The original game came out in 2003 and it got two big updates in Flaming Cliffs and FC2. Graphics are alittle dated and certainly not as pretty as what you see in FSX. There is still a sizable community behind this sim too. Every year, a virtual air show is put on that uses Lock On.

Wow, yeah. I'm watching some youtube vids of the custom home cockpits people have built for themselves and I can see the track IR thing in use. I don't think I'll get that hardcore. As long as there is a relatively easy way to pan around the virtual cockpit with a free hand, or sticky the camera onto a target, I think I'll be fine.

Are the campaigns good? I'm more of a single player guy.

Anybody remember this classic from back in the day?

This was my air combat sim of choice way back when I was young. It was by the same makers as Wing Commander, but about a mercenary squadron of F-16s operating for hire out of Istanbul Turkey in 2011. A really good mix of semi-realistic flight physics, g-force, and accurate ammunition supply, as well as some morality choices in the contracts you chose to accept or refuse. I used to play this game endlessly when I was a kid.

Yup. Never beat it though. I do remember it coming on a zillion black 3.5" discs, and requiring me to remove EVERY other program from my 30MB HDD though. (and it never ran well, a 286 just wasn't enough)

Yup. Never beat it though. I do remember it coming on a zillion black 3.5" discs, and requiring me to remove EVERY other program from my 30MB HDD though. (and it never ran well, a 286 just wasn't enough)

It didn't run very well for me either, but then again nothing really did. I always longed to be able to play it with maxed out settings so it would look like the back of the box, but I never did. It still surprises me how obscure the game was. Everyone our age played Wing Commander 1 and 2, myself included. They were classics. But Strike Commander really flew under the radar, (pun intended), even though it was a better game in so many ways.

Red Baron was my favorite flight sim back in the day. So much fun. I might have to pick it up from GOG.

My favorite flight sim ever as well. I did not like the later ones in the series - lost the charm for some reason (probably just too realistic for a 3d spatially challanged person like me).

There is a more modern version (that I have not tried) available from www.totalsims.com, along with a couple other flight sims as well.

Wow, yeah. I'm watching some youtube vids of the custom home cockpits people have built for themselves and I can see the track IR thing in use. I don't think I'll get that hardcore. As long as there is a relatively easy way to pan around the virtual cockpit with a free hand, or sticky the camera onto a target, I think I'll be fine.

Are the campaigns good? I'm more of a single player guy.

They're decent and there is a fair selection of them. I've only tried the F-15 campaign so far. You can also create your own missions and campaigns.

Been playing alot of BF3 on the PC lately. The graphics, map sizes, detail, etc. are outstanding. SP campaign is alright but a bit short, IMO. Still, I play BF games for the multiplayer and it still shines greatly in that regard. My stats suck like an awful vampire movie, but I'll catch on. It was the same back with BF2 and BF2142 for me. The mayhem with infantry and vehicles is gladly still there.

As far as the teamplay element goes, it's still there but not at the same time. Players still naturally act with their squad or other teammates, but the team focus of efforts is gone. What I mean is that there's nowhere near as much coordination between squads anymore. Squads still move and fight together, which is damn important, but the squads, especially in pick-up-games with random players, have no coordination. IMO, that's because of DICE's inexplicable decision to remove the Commander. The Commander in BF2 and BF2142 was able to get the team organized and focused. The funny part is that a Commander was still able to do this even with completely random players on his team. Squad Leaders back then would still follow directions and get the squad to comply also, unless the Commander has proven himself to be an idiot.

I actually like the BF3 campaign :ph34r:

Anyways, I quickly moved on to multiplayer (PS3). A really fun game, but something feels missing to me. It just doesn't seem as awesome as Bad Company 2 when that came out. Sure enough, graphics and the engine are amazing, but there are a lot of problems that make it fall short of epic. The first, I think a few have mentioned, is the clan system. When you join a game with your friends (3 other + you), you RARELY end up in the same squad, if not the same team itself. This is really frustrating to work out at the beginning of a game. Also, when I am in a sqaud with 4 friends, the mic system starts getting all fuzzy and cuts out repeatedly, also frustrating me. Finally, the squad play really does suck as some have pointed out. There really is not point to having a squad, because of the environments and stuff, your all usually far and away from each other doing your own thing. Ok, I have one more gripe, though this is more personal. SNIPING is useless in this game. In bad company 2, you could sit on top of a mountain a mile away and pick people off. In this game, you literally forced to snipe CQC due to the environments, and headshots don't even seem to do the job. I could drop a guy much quicker with an M4 than if I take out a mod 0, aim, and try and fire.

:unsure:

I never played Bad Company 2; but from what i remember of Bad Company, sniper classes where utterly useless. All of the Sniper rifles handle like crap, all the secondary weapons where uselessly underpowered and all the extra equipment they gave you was difficult to use and not nearly as fun or helpful as the stuff other classes got.