All Things Video Games Thread: II

I have some bad news about the XBox 360 version of Dead Island. There seems to be a fatal bug in the game. One of my XBox Live frinds found this out the hard way (thanks my1978chevynova for pointing this out).

If you start a new game with a character that you already beat the game with, that character's data will be corrupted <_< . I hear that the next patch will fix this. I really hope so, because I haven't touched the game since my brother got it and I'm worried about the bug.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I have some bad news about the XBox 360 version of Dead Island. There seems to be a fatal bug in the game. One of my XBox Live frinds found this out the hard way (thanks my1978chevynova for pointing this out).

If you start a new game with a character that you already beat the game with, that character's data will be corrupted <_< . I hear that the next patch will fix this. I really hope so, because I haven't touched the game since my brother got it and I'm worried about the bug.

This is by far the worst aspect of the current gen of games. It seems like every company releases half finished games because they know they can just patch it later.

It annoys me even more than DLC and online passes. Although they're not far behind.

I'd rather the developers quit trying to figure out every single way they can to squeeze more money out of the people buying the games. Remember when games came complete when you bought them?

The hilarious thing was when hawx tried to do DLC.. and then made a PC release. Modders figured out how to unlock the extra content within a few days, and the developers quickly banned anyone who mentioned this from the developer forums on Ubisoft's website. Officially, the PC version never even got the extra content released. Once the mod was spread, they gave up. Yeahh... that dev team had some serious issues with understanding the differences between consoles and PCs.

It's why I generally prefer PC games.. the fans will ALWAYS find ways to improve on what the developers have done. Even hawx got a lot better after the players got past all the WTF from when they tried to play it.

I just want DLC to freaking die already. Expansions, I can understand. Charging me $5 just so I can fly a plane that's been in all the previous games? Not a chance in hell.

Idk. 5 usd for one plane/cars yeah no deal. 5 usd for 6-7 planes/cars that may be worth it.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Idk. 5 usd for one plane/cars yeah no deal. 5 usd for 6-7 planes/cars that may be worth it.

5 USD for 6-7 actually new planes, sure. 5 USD for 6-7 planes that were in previous Ace Combat games and a seriously shorter roster of available planes on-disc, no.

5 USD for 6-7 actually new planes, sure. 5 USD for 6-7 planes that were in previous Ace Combat games and a seriously shorter roster of available planes on-disc, no.

And 5 USD for 6-7 planes that are on the disk but aren't available until you pay five bucks is just right out.

I've got a Battlefield 3 Beta question.

I just received a Marketplace code for early access to the Battlefield 3 beta, basically the same e-mail my brother got. Since our profiles share the same XBox 360, do I need to enter the code I got in my e-mail into my profile or does my brother's code afford me the same access?

I've got a Battlefield 3 Beta question.

I just received a Marketplace code for early access to the Battlefield 3 beta, basically the same e-mail my brother got. Since our profiles share the same XBox 360, do I need to enter the code I got in my e-mail into my profile or does my brother's code afford me the same access?

You could use his profile if you wanted to. but chances are it could be restricted to his profile. I dont see how b/c if you buy an xbl arcade game he can play it also.

Try and access it from your profile and see what happens.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

If I recall, the rules for non-indie/community/whatever games are: you can play it on the account you originally activated it with on any XBox(probably have to be online, though I'm not sure), and on the XBox you activated it with/transferred it to on any account.

For the Communindie games, the rule is account purchased with, and you have to be online to play.

So you should have access to your brother's beta, as long as you both use the 360 he activated the code with.

Unless betas behave more like communindie games and less like "normal" games. You may want to test that before you delete your e-mail.

The only e-mails I delete are the ones that I know are spam that somehow make it through Yahoo's spamguard into my inbox. The rest of the messages I move to the appropriate folders.

I also copied the code down on a piece of paper just in case something goes wrong.

Well, it seems that Bethesda has come out with a stinker (hard to believe, isn't it?).

Well my brother went and sold his copy of Hunted, the Demon's Forge before I had a chance to try it. Well if he says it sucked, well there's a pretty good chance that it did (he's just about a hardcore gamer, after all).

He also sold his copy of Dead Island, mostly because of the fatal glitch (hell, he said that the thing was riddled with bugs). I think he might pick it up used again if all the bugs get resolved.

Another game he got rid of was Quantum Theory, a really bad Gears clone.

Well, at about 11:00p.m. CST tonight we're going to the local GameStop to pick up...

RAGE

Edited by Wanzerfan

Just finished Deus Ex - HR. Awesome gameplay and fun sidequests, but rather annoying boss fights and three WTF endings [i only watched one of the three, to be fair].

Thankfully, the gameplay saved the day. For every mission there are around two-to three routes and ways to go about something. Go Rambo on the enemy, do it Splinter Cell style or a combination of both...it's all fun.

That said, I get the feeling the game designers seem to try to COAX you into sneaking around. Stealth adds bonus points to your overall results, which means quicker Praxis points. Why can't they do the same if you had a high kill rate or took down all enemies in the level? Still, it's not quite as bad as Hitman, where all the weapons you unlock might as well have been useless, as game will give you with a Thug or Psycho rating if kill you kill non-targets and/or blow your cover. To be fair, though, Hitman was designed exclusively around stealth, which is only fitting for game starring a contract killer.

All in all, a great game that will probably warrant at least as many repeat playthroughs as RE 4 and 5 [gotta love The Mercenaries]. Seriously one of the best games I've bought this year.

I picked up Deus Ex on sale at Best Buy. I'd never played the previous two. I think for the first half hour I didn't like Human Revolution, but at some point it gets its hooks into you, and everything clicks. I think I'm close to the end, and by now I think it might be the best game I've played in 2011.

Just finished Deus Ex - HR. Awesome gameplay and fun sidequests, but rather annoying boss fights and three WTF endings [i only watched one of the three, to be fair].

Thankfully, the gameplay saved the day. For every mission there are around two-to three routes and ways to go about something. Go Rambo on the enemy, do it Splinter Cell style or a combination of both...it's all fun.

That said, I get the feeling the game designers seem to try to COAX you into sneaking around. Stealth adds bonus points to your overall results, which means quicker Praxis points. Why can't they do the same if you had a high kill rate or took down all enemies in the level? Still, it's not quite as bad as Hitman, where all the weapons you unlock might as well have been useless, as game will give you with a Thug or Psycho rating if kill you kill non-targets and/or blow your cover. To be fair, though, Hitman was designed exclusively around stealth, which is only fitting for game starring a contract killer.

All in all, a great game that will probably warrant at least as many repeat playthroughs as RE 4 and 5 [gotta love The Mercenaries]. Seriously one of the best games I've bought this year.

there's 4 endings.

there's 4 endings.

What?! But I only counted three buttons on the consoles to push:

One, you tell the truth (middle button). Two, you go with Taggart's plan on regulating augmentation (right button). Three, Jensen self-destructs the Panchea, burying all its secrets, including everyone in it (left button).

How to you get the fourth ending? Or did you mean the epilogue after the credits?

Edited by GU-11

What?! But I only counted three buttons on the consoles to push:

One, you tell the truth (middle button). Two, you go with Taggart's plan on regulating augmentation (right button). Three, Jensen self-destructs the Panchea, burying all its secrets, including everyone in it (left button).

How to you get the fourth ending? Or did you mean the epilogue after the credits?

Did you talk to david sarif on panchea?

Did you talk to david sarif on panchea?

My bad. Yeah, I actually bypassed David Sarif and went straight down to the Hyron Project. Retried it again, and there it was. The self-destruct option now requires Jensen to enter a passageway to destroy some generators.

Got Aliens Infestation on the nintendo ds.

If you are a fan of sidescrolling exploration titles this is great fun. It is like metroid but without the gimmicky power armor. The sprite all animate well and behavior and movement of the aliens is fast and frantic when they appear. It feels a lot like alien 3 on the snes/megadrve. This is probably one of the better licensed games I'v played on a portable. And the dual screen setup suits a game of this type. Map and motion sensor on bottom screen while the action takes place on the top. The first boss is the queen alien and almost wiped all 4 of my men on my first try until I manaaged to spam grenades with the rifle's grenade launcher. Anyone who is a fan of james cameron's Aliens should check this game out.

handled by the same guys behind contra 4 on ds. (wayforward) Why can't there be more games like this?

The next old school side scrolling action game I am looking forward to is shinobi prequel on 3ds. Lets hope sega don't f*ck that up. lol

edit: Wayforward also handled that 2d Thor beat em up on ds recently too. (as well as batman brave and the bold cartoon beat em up) They seem to have a good track record in making arcade action games using movie, cartoon, and comic licensed games with decent gameplay and great sprite artwork. Doesn't surprise me that this game is good.

haven't tried thor yet. Might pick this up for its retro appeal after I am finished with aliens.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Got my hands on a copy of Dark Souls. Just like the predecessor, Demon's Souls, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The game is merciless and I've died so many times that I've lost count. But I figure things out and progress, learning from mistakes. I also keep finding little secrets as well as rewards for insisting on trying out something new. The only thing I dislike is trying to play with a hand controller since the majority of my gaming is on the PC. A mouse & keyboard setup would really let the UI of this game cut loose.

Getting stuff done is a huge accomplishment in this game. I'd recommend it but it's not for the faint of heart :p

I totally need to get Aliens: Infestation. No 2D Metroid game was my biggest disappointment of the DS.Here's hoping that changes with the 3DS. (Tho I want an Infinite Space sequel even more!)

I picked up the new Spider-Man game, Edge of Time. I wasn't planning on it, but I did like Shattered Dimensions, and Peter David wrote the story for Edge of Time. And it was on sale at TRU.

I'm enjoying it, but it's not as good as Edge of Time. The voice acting is great (the guy who did Spidey's Voice in Spectacular Spider-Man is regular Spidey, and the guy who did Spidey's voice in the 90s Fox cartoon does 2099... not to mention that Val Kilmer voices one of the villains). The story is simple, but the dialogue is perfect. But it lacks a lot of the variety that Shattered Dimensions had.

I'm thinking the next game I'm going to pick up will be Forza 4.

For me dark souls and skyrim are my must haves but I have a pile of other games I got to get through first.

I totally need to get Aliens: Infestation. No 2D Metroid game was my biggest disappointment of the DS.Here's hoping that changes with the 3DS. (Tho I want an Infinite Space sequel even more!)

In terms of length/freedom it is more like metroid fusion (which to me was a bit too linear for my liking) more than super metroid. I was surprised when I killed the first boss (the alien queen) and the game did not let me explore after I had killed it so I could look at the areas I didn't get a chance to explore yet. I was ripped out of the level and the game forced me to move to the next. So it feels less like an adventure (super metroid) and more like "just get this objective done" kind of thing.

But unlike ocntra this game has the tension and slow burn pace I like from metroid games where you take your time and don't just rush around like an arcade sidescrolling shooter. (not my fave genre for aliens - I prefer a slower paced game similar to what alien 3 was where you feel vulnerable and scared) You have to worry about using up too much ammo, but since you can just run past danger this is ok. There is a stamina bar though so you can't abuse it. Similar to metal slug you have a handgun with infinite ammo so you can mash the poo out of the shoot button when you feel like saving up the rifle or shotgun for tougher enemies. Like Halo it seems you have a 2 weapon limit. So you have to pick between weapons. ( I wanted to carry a rifle and shotgun but could only carry 1 :( ) But considering the rifle has the grenade launcher it is like 2 weapon in 1. You have a dedicated grenade button like in Halo to throw grenades (which similar to metroid can be used to break open weak parts of the environment) and you can shoot grenades from the rifle which is useful on "damage sponge" enemies like bosses. I haven't gotten the flamethrower yet. I suppose this is the weapon of choice against facehugger and chest burster enemies. :p Pushing SELECT toggles grenade types.

Other tools are things like wrenches to turn off valves, and welders which can be used to lock doors behind you to prevent aliens opening the door. (also you can unweld welded doors) And there are keycards of varying security levels. A higher security level lets you open more doors than lower level keycards. Another thing is flares which you can use to mark certain places of interest or just remind yourself where you have explored. The map has to be obtained (like zelda when you first enter a dungeon lol) from the ships own computer before you can use it so see where you are located, and you find the motion tracker early in the game.

The main moves are shoot, duck, dodgeroll (uses lots of stamina but saves your butt when an alien rushes and lunges at you) run, use (ie opening doors, using cover for blindfire) and jump. (jumping helps you to lift yourself up into vents and stuff "prince of persia" or "tomb raider" style.) Advanced moves are running backwards while holding the shoot button to backpeddle while attacking, and holding the "aim button" down to keep still and shoot your rifle in 7 different directions depending on how you push the dpad. Others include holding run button while jumping to get to a ledge further away. (running jump) I don't think crouching while shooting makes you shoot more accurately though. In games like metal slug when you crouch your character can shoot off more shots per second of his pistol than when he stands because his kneeling helps reduce recoil. In this game you can mash the button as quickly as you want while standing and there will be no loss of accuracy. You can hold a fire button down while walking away from the target to backpeddle slowly while your character shoots. (useful against armored enemies which don't flinch when shot)

I really bought this because I like pixel art and animation in this. (wayforward seem to be known for making decent movie and tv licensed games) I buy all the castlevanias and megaman games on DS too.

28min gameplay video:

One thing that is interesting is the dialogue for each marine is different depending on who you choose. So maybe there are different endings? And unlockables depending on how many men alive you manage to win game with? There are about 19 marines scattered around so each must have a backstory or something to increase replayability.

the first boss fight:

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well, finally broke down and bought Duke Nukem Forever for $10.00 through steam... and for $5.00, I could have gotten Homefront instead.

Anyways, it's a nice 'guilty pleasure' linear - toilet humor - cursing - strippers - and - awful (yet amusing) puns shooter.

You should be able to run the entire game on 'ultra', using 4 gigs DDR, AMD AM3 3.2 ghz quad core and an Nvidia 460 (or it's ATI equivalent)..

Boy, am I glad that I didn't go ahead and download the Battlefield 3 beta into my profile. My brother said that it sucked so bad that it wasn't worth a purchase.

All I'll say is when the 11th of next month rolls around, I won't be seeing my brother for a long time. Here's a hint, the collector's edition of the game comes with a two-foot resin statue of a dragon.

Don't forget Wanzer, it's just a beta.

So there will be changes to the game, once EA and co. receives input from players. Mind you (most players tend to forget), if invited to a beta, they also require feedbacks, not rants and griefs.

Just wondering -- anyone playing Forza 4? Just got the game. TBH, I'm really just fooling with C and B class street cars, and not interested at the high end supercars (yet). Working on a RX-8 to go up the Kaido at the moment, but will be working on Nurburgring too.

Just wondering -- anyone playing Forza 4? Just got the game. TBH, I'm really just fooling with C and B class street cars, and not interested at the high end supercars (yet). Working on a RX-8 to go up the Kaido at the moment, but will be working on Nurburgring too.

Me. What with the rewards for playing Forza 3, I built up cash quickly enough to buy a couple of Mitsubishis. Since upgrades are basically free when your affinity with a manufacturer hits 4 or 5, I have Evos that are at the highest levels for B, A, and S. Which is kind of hilarious, beating the doors off Ferraris and Lamborghinis in an Evo VIII.

Me. What with the rewards for playing Forza 3, I built up cash quickly enough to buy a couple of Mitsubishis. Since upgrades are basically free when your affinity with a manufacturer hits 4 or 5, I have Evos that are at the highest levels for B, A, and S. Which is kind of hilarious, beating the doors off Ferraris and Lamborghinis in an Evo VIII.

That reminds me of gran turismo 4 and me beating le mans prototypes level cars with a dodge ram pickup :lol:

As for the aliens infestation game I got two things...

1.That queen kinda went out like a bitch in the video

2.It took me a little while but that gameplay style, sound, and graphics look reminded me of something

look familiar?

I didn't get that much of a bonus as I didn't play Forza 3 Career that much. Plenty running up and down the Kaido and Nurburgring, just not in the Career.

Yeah, I remember in Forza 3 I managed to work a Mazda RX-8 into the top end of S-class. Could have gone into low R1 IIRC, but decided to play at the top of S instead. It was hilarious to go past supercars in that, but it handles like a pig -- straight lines are good, anything else is optional. I need to work on that...