All Things Video Games Thread: II

From what I remember hearing years ago Square doesn't actually own the story to Chrono Trigger. And since the writer left and went to Namco to make the Xenosaga games its unlikely they will ever make another game in the series.

A shame because they are some good games. I love how they had no randome battles, they were years ahead of their time.

I always think the "no random battles" thing in the Chrono series is highly-overrated.

Is "many frequent known-in advance" battles really any less irritating than "many frequent unknown" battles? You fight the same amount of enemies, the same way, at the same general time. You just have 5 secs warning now.

IMHO, it's never been the "random" aspect of jRPG battles that tends to get annoying/boring/grinding, but the "zillion, frequent" aspect. And that's no different in the Chrono series than say FF or DQ.

Well, Chrono Trigger was a bit more basic but you could still avoid a lot of battles and in Chrono Cross you can play the whole game with just boss battles if you can get around the enemies. So they do have the ability to avoid battles, but they're a bit old now and were basic in their execution. Still, they were an important step and compared to other games of the time it was very different.

We can look at Final Fantasy 12 though and see how they took that system to a whole new level. After I played FF12 I thought I was looking at the future of RPGs. No more random battles, no more changing screens, everything happened in real time.

Random battles were only created because of hardware limitations which don't exist anymore. Its an archaic style of gameplay and it should have disappeared a long time ago. Its the main reason why I stopped playing RPGs, I can't stand having to put up with random battles when all I want it to move the story along or get to a treasure chest.

Random battles were only created because of hardware limitations which don't exist anymore.

The NES couldn't move more than one sprite at a time? Look at Zelda 2 for a fast example of how it COULD have been done. Still transitions from exploration mode to fighting mode, but there's monsters wandering around on the world map(and dungeons are all in fight mode)

The random battles were there because they were simulating pen&paper games like D&D, which at the time used random battles.

Its an archaic style of gameplay and it should have disappeared a long time ago. Its the main reason why I stopped playing RPGs, I can't stand having to put up with random battles when all I want it to move the story along or get to a treasure chest.

Oddly, most of the time I want random battles. I think the bigger problem is that combat often isn't any FUN, and when they DO find something fun they throw it away for the next game since there's currently an obsession with new battle systems.

I liked Earthbound's system. The enemies randomly placed placed on the map appeared from off screen giving you the following options: you could either sneak up on them to get the first hit, be ambushed giving them the first hit, standard battle, avoid them, or if you were stronger they'd run like a bitch and if you caught them you wouldn't have to fight and got an auto win with full rewards!

I think FF VII had the best random battles, not popping up every three steps, but also not being so infrequent that leveling seemed impossible. The combat was fun too, mostly due to each character having uniquely animated attacks, limit breaks, and materia affecting everything. I loved how you could mix and match or even stack different abilities on top of each other.

I'm tempted to buy Deus Ex - Human Revolution. Thing is, I've never played any previous Deus Ex games before.

Would I be lost in the plot if I just went ahead and played Deus Ex - HR?

Also, what is this game supposed to be? IGN calls it a FPS, while a review I read in a local newspaper said it was a RPG[???]

It switches between first and third person from what I understand (like being in 3rd person when in cover) and it has heavy rpg elements. Soo...fpsrpg?

I also think Human Revolution is a prequel to the other two Deus Ex games (though dont quote me on it) so you'd probably be fine.

I finished 2 playthroughs of Deus Ex hour. Definitely stands out on its own in the sea of mindless COD style shooters. Just dissapointed there is no new game+ to start the game fully augmented :(

I really didn't like how the ending became a "zombie" fest though... And final boss was a joke with see-thru-wall aug and laser cannon.

Thanks for the replies, people!

One more thing before I buy it; how's the replay value of the game? Unlockables, extras, multiple endings...or is the game fun enough for repeated playthroughs like RE4 and 5?

To be honest, I'm not that big of a fan of FPS's. Is the ratio of third-person to 1st person balanced?

Thanks.

just finally bit it yesterday (9-15-11) on a PS3 "Move" bundle, as that was the best overall deal in my area.

well, "It only does Everything" whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, and i already have several games for it

that i bought months ago when they first came out,

so it was high time i picked one of these incredible, magical, sexually-charged "Everything" machines up for myself, i suppose.

at any rate, despite the fact that i had just dropped $350 on the damned console, plus another $20 on MGS4 GREATEST HITS,

i just couldn't seem to help but drop another $50 on this, what with it's rather Adorable female chara designs and all;

record-of-agarest-war-zero-2011-03-08-11-011_0900062169.jpg

comes with a very nice Artbook and a fairly useless (to me, at least) Omake box containing a couple decks of cards

(one with "spirit elements" from the game itself, the other a standard deck of playing cards with photos of the characters on the K/Q/J/A cards)

ZeroHero.png

at any rate, the first games me and my sister tried were the CASTLEVANIA; LORDS OF SHADOW that she bought earlier this year

since she is an ardent CASTLEVANIA fan, and MGS4, as i am something of an MGS Veteran,

having gone completely through every MGS so far save for 3, which i never cared for, and, of course, this fourth installment.

what can i say? graphics are awesome. the game manages to look and feel so hard-boiledly realistic that it can get somewhat disturbing to me at times.

still, i'm managing, and am about three hours in at present...

Edited by Shaorin

I'm tempted to buy Deus Ex - Human Revolution. Thing is, I've never played any previous Deus Ex games before.

Would I be lost in the plot if I just went ahead and played Deus Ex - HR?

Also, what is this game supposed to be? IGN calls it a FPS, while a review I read in a local newspaper said it was a RPG[???]

I think it's both. Granted, I never played the first Deus Ex from 2000. But from what I've read, you have the choice to develop your character to certain play aspects like stealth, gun-toting, etc. You're also supposed to be able to tackle the missions by a wide variety of ways.

So basically, it plays a little of both FPS and RPG. System Shock 2 from 2000 was also like this.

Thanks for the replies, people!

One more thing before I buy it; how's the replay value of the game? Unlockables, extras, multiple endings...or is the game fun enough for repeated playthroughs like RE4 and 5?

To be honest, I'm not that big of a fan of FPS's. Is the ratio of third-person to 1st person balanced?

Thanks.

Other board members summed it up pretty well, just filling some more info here...

1) Replay value is high, I don't think it's possible to unlock all augmentations - though I heard you can come close. Like previous incarnations of Deus Ex, you will notice things you could have done differently as you progress through the game.

2) The game is primarily a FPS. Like it's been stated, the camera jumps to 3rd person when you take cover (you'll be doing it a lot), and you will briefly see Jensen in 3rd person whenever you do a take-down, though this is pretty programatic and only involves hitting the O button. The switching did not bother me, and was pretty seamless in my opinion.

Definitely the only baseball game worth while.

Spoken like someone that never played Base Wars on the NES. No umpire, outs are determined via a complex system of... beating the crap out of the other guy. The game was an upgradable-robot fighter masquerading as a baseball game.

Spoken like someone that never played Base Wars on the NES. No umpire, outs are determined via a complex system of... beating the crap out of the other guy. The game was an upgradable-robot fighter masquerading as a baseball game.

I was just about to say the same thing. Sure you could play straight baseball too, but it was way more fun to upgrade the sh!t out of your deam, and demolish enough of the other team to make them forfeit. Then when you one, your robots got a badass parade. I loved basewars!

I also seem to recall a baseball game on the NES from the people who made Super Dodge Ball, with cool special move pitches and stuff. That was fun.

Serioiusly, the only thing I'm waiting for now on the Vita is to hear artdink has been prepping Macross & Gundam for it. Also, it better have a beefier browser with flash.

Edited by Keith

I also seem to recall a baseball game on the NES from the people who made Super Dodge Ball, with cool special move pitches and stuff. That was fun.

Baseball Simulator 1.000, probably. Different company, though.

Baseball Simulator is from Culture Brain, and Technos did all the Kunio/River City/Crash & the Boys/Miscellaneous Other Branding games*

The Kunio gang wouldn't get to bring their special brand of sportsmanship to baseball until the SNES, and Technos didn't have a non-Kunio baseball game.

*For those feeling thoroughly lost by the different publishers and brands the series has seen, what you need to know is that Nintendo World Cup Soccer and Super Dodge Ball are part of the same series as River City Ransom, and all three games are sequels to Renegade. Go figure.

ProTip: The only one that's adhering even loosely to the japanese version is River City.

Baseball Simulator is from Culture Brain, and Technos did all the Kunio/River City/Crash & the Boys/Miscellaneous Other Branding games*

The Kunio gang wouldn't get to bring their special brand of sportsmanship to baseball until the SNES, and Technos didn't have a non-Kunio baseball game.

*For those feeling thoroughly lost by the different publishers and brands the series has seen, what you need to know is that Nintendo World Cup Soccer and Super Dodge Ball are part of the same series as River City Ransom, and all three games are sequels to Renegade. Go figure.

ProTip: The only one that's adhering even loosely to the japanese version is River City.

Thanks, JB0, I think that's it.

Serioiusly, the only thing I'm waiting for now on the Vita is to hear artdink has been prepping Macross & Gundam for it.

If this happens, I'm sold. I could care less about the browser, though. My PSP is probably the last thing I'll go to for a web browser now.

He might also be thinking of the Baseball Stars series of games by SNK. It does have a similar art style to the Technos river city/kunio games even though they aren't related.

He might also be thinking of the Baseball Stars series of games by SNK. It does have a similar art style to the Technos river city/kunio games even though they aren't related.

I don't think so. My memory is a little hazy on the details, but I clearly remember super-move pitches and hits. They remind me of the throws in Super Dodgeball; I think that's why my mind linked them, not any particular art style.