All Things Video Games Thread: II

Right now I'm on a classic game fix. I'm juggling between Chrono Cross (PS-X), SaGa Frontier 1 (PS-X), and The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age).

For those of you who don't know, PS-X is the term used to describe the original big Sony Playstation.

I would also like to give a very big F*CK YOU _-|-- to all those hackers who screwed over the Comabt Training on CoD: Black Ops. I was looking to Prestige on Combat Training in that game. Basicly what those a$$holes did was go to 15th. Prestige in Combat Training, and then hack that Prestige level to their normal multiplayer. F*cking shitheads.

For those of you who don't know, PS-X is the term used to describe the original big Sony Playstation.

Actually, that's "PSX." The PS-X was a special version of the PS2 released only in Japan that also functioned as a DVR device.

Actually, that's "PSX." The PS-X was a special version of the PS2 released only in Japan that also functioned as a DVR device.

Oops, my mistake. I always thought there was a hyphen in between the "S" and the "X" for the original Playstation code, like Macross Valkyrie designation codes.

See, guys I admit when I'm wrong when I know it. ;)

A Playstation 2 that had a built-in Tivo-like device? Why didn't the States get a crack at buying this one? Screw you Japan :p .

Oops, my mistake. I always thought there was a hyphen in between the "S" and the "X" for the original Playstation code, like Macross Valkyrie designation codes.

See, guys I admit when I'm wrong when I know it. ;)

A Playstation 2 that had a built-in Tivo-like device? Why didn't the States get a crack at buying this one? Screw you Japan :p .

I am going to assume that 1. it was grossly overpriced, and 2. it didn't sell well. But, those are just assumptions. :)

PS-X was ALSO a codename for Sony's version of the SNESCD, meant to be released under the name Play Station(mind the space).

Personally, I just abbreviate PlayStation to PS or PS1. Saves some confusion, and I really hate the PSX pseudo-abbreviation anyways.

It also didn't help that the PS-X was released shortly before the PS3. And the PS3 now has most of the same functions.

PS-X was ALSO a codename for Sony's version of the SNESCD, meant to be released under the name Play Station(mind the space).

Personally, I just abbreviate PlayStation to PS or PS1. Saves some confusion, and I really hate the PSX pseudo-abbreviation anyways.

In the nineties, it seems like they added X to everything to make it sound cooler. :rolleyes: Don't forget the difference between PS(1) and PSOne. :p

In the nineties, it seems like they added X to everything to make it sound cooler. :rolleyes: Don't forget the difference between PS(1) and PSOne. :p

Not cooler, XTREME.

The PSOne revision of the PS1 makes me want to hurt someone. Or is that some1?

WHat are some good emulators for PS1,Dreamcast amd GC?

Also need a few good PC games to play.

For the 'Cube, I think Dolphin is the ONLY option. It is not perfect, but for most games it is good enough. And yes, they advertise it as a Wii emulator these days, but it does both.

PS1-wise... pSX is pretty good. I'm told Xebra is significantly more accurate, but haven't tested it personally.

Dreamcast... try nullDC. As with the GameCube, there's not a lot of options.

http://dolphin-emulator.com/

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

http://code.google.com/p/nulldc/

http://forums.ngemu.com/showthread.php?t=140824 Only place I know to get Xebra right now.

Edited by JB0

WHat are some good emulators for PS1,Dreamcast amd GC?

The more powerful the console, the more powerful the CPU you need. This sound elementary, but most people don't get the scale of it. I'm not familiar with too many emulators that can make use of other PC components (like the GPU). So your CPU winds up having to emulate the processor, GPU, sound, and any on-cart chips for cartridge-based consoles. And most consoles use architecture that's pretty different from PC hardware, so it takes even more CPU power to emulate a console accurately. Many emulators are less "accurate" and more "close enough."

That said, I've had some luck running Dolphin for Gamecube on a Core i7. As JB0 mentioned, it's supposed to do Wii too, but I don't have a Bluetooth adapter to sync a Wiimote with, and it seems less hassle to just play the handful of games I want on my wife's Wii. As far as 'Cube games, though, I was able to run Super Smash Bros Melee with only a little lag at the beginning of a match.

As for PlayStation, try ePSXe. I didn't play around with it too much, but I was able to a couple of RPGs to run at full speed without much hassle (and I did that on my older Core 2 Duo). You will need a PlayStation BIOS file, though.

Sorry, I haven't tried emulating Dreamcast.

As long as we're on the subject of emulators, these are the other emulators I like on Windows. If you guys know any better ones, feel free to chime in.

AppleWin - Apple IIe

VisualBoy Advance-M - Gameboy and Gameboy Advance. I've also used Rew

Project64 - N64

Nestopia - NES

SSF - Sega Saturn

Magic Engine - TurboGrafx/PC Engine. Not free, but the best TG16 emulator I've used.

ZSNES - SNES. I'm hearing good stuff about bsnes, though.

Kega Fusion - Sega Genesis/Megadrive, Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear, and Sega CD.

I haven't had much luck emulating newer hardware. I've tried to find an emulator for PSP, but I haven't had a lot of luck. Closest I got with with jpcsp, but it was laggy and the sound was way off. I'd really like to find one for the DS, too. Xbox and PS2, maybe if I had more hard drive space.

That's a little harder to answer than the emulator question, because there's a TON of good PC games. Plus, I don't know if you're PC gaming in addition to console gaming, so I don't know if I should mention PC games that have come out on consoles as well (unless the PC version is clearly superior). My advice is download Steam and create a Steam account at your earliest convenience. Things have quieted down on Steam recently, but they do run daily deals, midweek deals, weekend deals, and seasonal deals. During the month of July, it seemed like I was picking up a game or two a week on Steam, and I think the most expensive one I bought was $17 (if I pay more than $20, I probably got a physical copy at a brick and mortar store).

Some highlights from my recent PC gaming spurt include FEAR 3, Crysis 2, Civilization V, Amnesia, Portal 2, Magicka, and the Witcher 2. Other games I'd recommend that have been out for awhile would include the rest of the FEAR series, Torchlight, Left 4 Dead (I prefer the first one), the Puzzle Quest games, Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins, the Neverwinter Nights games, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the Mass Effect series.

The more powerful the console, the more powerful the CPU you need. This sound elementary, but most people don't get the scale of it. I'm not familiar with too many emulators that can make use of other PC components (like the GPU). So your CPU winds up having to emulate the processor, GPU, sound, and any on-cart chips for cartridge-based consoles. And most consoles use architecture that's pretty different from PC hardware, so it takes even more CPU power to emulate a console accurately. Many emulators are less "accurate" and more "close enough."

Actually, most PS1 and later emulators WILL use your PC's graphics hardware to speed up graphics emulation.

It's not a best practice, but with system speeds being what they are... it's kind of a necessity for the XCube 2cast.

That said, I've had some luck running Dolphin for Gamecube on a Core i7. As JB0 mentioned, it's supposed to do Wii too, but I don't have a Bluetooth adapter to sync a Wiimote with, and it seems less hassle to just play the handful of games I want on my wife's Wii. As far as 'Cube games, though, I was able to run Super Smash Bros Melee with only a little lag at the beginning of a match.

Sadly, Dolphin has serious sound glitches in PN03. As in the music dies and won't come back. And that's all I wanted it for, was huge-resolution PN03(the minimal nature of the game's graphics means it renders REALLY well at high resolutions).

As for PlayStation, try ePSXe. I didn't play around with it too much, but I was able to a couple of RPGs to run at full speed without much hassle (and I did that on my older Core 2 Duo). You will need a PlayStation BIOS file, though.

Gotta disagree here. ePSXe is many years dead and hopelessly obsolete. It should be left to rot in favor of newer and much more accurate emulators.

I can get full speed with pSX on a Core 2 Duo.

As long as we're on the subject of emulators, these are the other emulators I like on Windows. If you guys know any better ones, feel free to chime in.

ZSNES - SNES. I'm hearing good stuff about bsnes, though.

bsnes is the way to go. Unfortunately, byuu has made certain decisions that make it unviable for some purposes(though it is nowhere NEAR as slow as public opinion makes it out to be).

It is by far the most accurate emulator, though. And does hold claim as the ONLY emulator to properly emulate Air Strike Patrol, not that anyone cares.

ZSNES is actually the worst of the three "current" SNES emulators.

I hate to say it, as it was my first emu, but... right now it's in Nesticle/ePSXe territory, and the next major revision has been "in development" for a few years now with nothing to show for it(but the developers have not yet disappeared off the face of the Earth).

It's got some serious glitches, needs to die, and people keep recommending it anyways.

If bsnes isn't workable for whatever reason, use SNES9x.

I haven't had much luck emulating newer hardware. I've tried to find an emulator for PSP, but I haven't had a lot of luck. Closest I got with with jpcsp, but it was laggy and the sound was way off. I'd really like to find one for the DS, too. Xbox and PS2, maybe if I had more hard drive space.

PS2 is gonna be PCSX2. http://pcsx2.net/

XBox doesn't have any viable emulators, for some reason. You'd think, what with it BEING an IBM PC, that emulation would be easier than everything else.

DS ... you can give DeSmuME a try. I make no promises. http://sourceforge.net/projects/desmume/

I can't speak to your Apple II or N64 recommendations, as I've never cared to mess with emulation on either one, but the rest all look like the ones I'd recommend.

You might try Turbo Engine for PCEngine/TurboGrafX, and Regen for SegaCartridge.

And all this talk has led me to looking around and making a shocking realization: Mednafen emulates the NeoGeo Pocket Color!

Now to play the english hack of SNK/Capcom Card Fighters Clash 2!

What? It can't be worse than Card Fighters Clash DS was.

If nothing else, I won't hit a game-ending glitch at the 3/4s point mere days after the exchange program ended I hate you SNK now give me Biomotor Unitron 2.

And all this talk has led me to looking around and making a shocking realization: Mednafen emulates the NeoGeo Pocket Color!

Now to play the english hack of SNK/Capcom Card Fighters Clash 2!

But the best part about playing NGPC games is playing on the actual hardware. The analog stick on that thing is still one of the best (certainly a best on a hand held) analogs I have ever used. The NGPC is actually the only handheld I can be bothered to play fighting games on. All this reminds me that there's still a few more titles I wanted to pic up for it..

That's a little harder to answer than the emulator question, because there's a TON of good PC games. Plus, I don't know if you're PC gaming in addition to console gaming, so I don't know if I should mention PC games that have come out on consoles as well (unless the PC version is clearly superior). My advice is download Steam and create a Steam account at your earliest convenience. Things have quieted down on Steam recently, but they do run daily deals, midweek deals, weekend deals, and seasonal deals. During the month of July, it seemed like I was picking up a game or two a week on Steam, and I think the most expensive one I bought was $17 (if I pay more than $20, I probably got a physical copy at a brick and mortar store).

Some highlights from my recent PC gaming spurt include FEAR 3, Crysis 2, Civilization V, Amnesia, Portal 2, Magicka, and the Witcher 2. Other games I'd recommend that have been out for awhile would include the rest of the FEAR series, Torchlight, Left 4 Dead (I prefer the first one), the Puzzle Quest games, Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins, the Neverwinter Nights games, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the Mass Effect series.

<---

How could you miss the Baldur's Gate series? Granted I only have the Collector's Editon of Baldur's Gate II (too bad the collector's disk didn't come with the soundtrack), but it's a good game series, nonetheless.

I've been wanting to get my hands on I and Tutu it, though (basicly what Tutu does is allow you to run Baldur's Gate I using the Baldur's Gate II engine).

I tend to steer clear of the Dark Alliance franchise, too much hack-and-slash for me. The Snowblind engine may be pretty, but it's way too shallow for me.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Fighting is Magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSlnZxvi37s

Any one pick up Deus ex human revolution

Yup. I wasn't really planning on getting it on release date, but my brother convinced me at the last minute. I have never played any of the prior Deus Ex games, so it's a blind jump for me. But so far, I'm blown away just by simply watching my brother play (he gets first dibs anyway). There's so much to like and very little to dislike about the game.

Unlike Mass Effect, I like how they show you what you're really going to say (I sometimes misinterpret the dialogue choices in ME and come across as a jerk rather than a nice guy). The sometimes randomized dialogue is a nice touch too.

I do have some nitpicks with the game, but they're more superficial.

It's not one of the most graphically impressive games out there (would've been nice though), but the art direction and details make up for it and beyond.

Edited by shiroikaze

Gotta disagree here. ePSXe is many years dead and hopelessly obsolete. It should be left to rot in favor of newer and much more accurate emulators.

I can get full speed with pSX on a Core 2 Duo.

The last time I wanted to emulate the original PlayStation I was using my old computer. Dead an obsolete it may be, but ePSXe worked, the other PlayStation emulator around at the time didn't. I'm perfectly willing to concede that better ones have likely come out in the interim.

ZSNES is actually the worst of the three "current" SNES emulators.

I hate to say it, as it was my first emu, but... right now it's in Nesticle/ePSXe territory, and the next major revision has been "in development" for a few years now with nothing to show for it(but the developers have not yet disappeared off the face of the Earth).

It's got some serious glitches, needs to die, and people keep recommending it anyways.

If bsnes isn't workable for whatever reason, use SNES9x.

I'm less willing to concede this one. My current computer should be more than adequate to run bsnes. I haven't tried it on Windows, but I've been using the Mac version and enjoy it. I have high hopes for it, because I desperately want a good SNES emulator that doesn't look like it was developed for Windows 95. Because unless it's improved a lot since I last used it, SNES9x wasn't cutting it. (Again, maybe it has improved a bit and I should give it another look, but I remember trying to switch to it before and having issues with one or two games that played fine on ZSNES).

But the best part about playing NGPC games is playing on the actual hardware. The analog stick on that thing is still one of the best (certainly a best on a hand held) analogs I have ever used. The NGPC is actually the only handheld I can be bothered to play fighting games on. All this reminds me that there's still a few more titles I wanted to pic up for it..

Digital stick. NGP has no analog inputs.

And this is true, it's a very nice little unit all-around. But I don't have a flash cart, and SNK closed shop up before Card Fighters 2 and Biomotor Unitron 2 came out in America.

The last time I wanted to emulate the original PlayStation I was using my old computer. Dead an obsolete it may be, but ePSXe worked, the other PlayStation emulator around at the time didn't. I'm perfectly willing to concede that better ones have likely come out in the interim.

Indeed, it USED to be the best. But it's not near it anymore, and it has problems with a lot of games(so does Dolphin, for that matter).

I'm less willing to concede this one. My current computer should be more than adequate to run bsnes. I haven't tried it on Windows, but I've been using the Mac version and enjoy it. I have high hopes for it, because I desperately want a good SNES emulator that doesn't look like it was developed for Windows 95. Because unless it's improved a lot since I last used it, SNES9x wasn't cutting it. (Again, maybe it has improved a bit and I should give it another look, but I remember trying to switch to it before and having issues with one or two games that played fine on ZSNES).

From what I gather, SNES9x HAS improved a lot. Though it seems fair to note that for a long time, there was a good deal of back and forth. While some games that ran in ZSNES didn't in SNES9x, the reverse was also true(And most of the popular stuff ran equally well in both of them). I originally went with ZSNES because it was faster on my old K6-2, and stuck with it due to aesthetics and better sound emulation for my purposes(ironically, SNES9x now has almost-perfect sound hardware emulation).

I do miss ZSNES' DOS-holdover GUI, though. Stock Windows menu bars are lame(moreso on Mac? I dunno the state of Mac emulation). bzsnes just doesn't cut it.

Haven't taken it apart myself so I wouldn't know but I'd always seen it mentioned as analog. Not like it matters it's still a great.

SNK closed shop up before Card Fighters 2 and Biomotor Unitron 2 came out in America.

Biomotor Unitron 2 isn't hard to play if you can grasp the basics of Japanese. I have it somewhere but I haven't played it in forever so my memory is a bit fuzzy on specifics.

Haven't taken it apart myself so I wouldn't know but I'd always seen it mentioned as analog. Not like it matters it's still a great.

The internet is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. And most gaming sites are just plain dumb, sad to say. The clicking as you move it around is enough to tell you it's digital.

It's definitely a great thumbstick, though. And one of my favorite non-joystick controllers ever.

Makes me think I need one of those NeoGeo gamepads.

Biomotor Unitron 2 isn't hard to play if you can grasp the basics of Japanese. I have it somewhere but I haven't played it in forever so my memory is a bit fuzzy on specifics.

But, but... the PLOT, man! Think of the plot!

Naw, I'm just kinda miffed that they closed the US division mere days after they started hyping it.

The internet is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. And most gaming sites are just plain dumb, sad to say. The clicking as you move it around is enough to tell you it's digital.

That's probably what I get for not having read the manual still after what like 10 years lol.

But, but... the PLOT, man! Think of the plot!

I know the plot is the strongest aspect of a dungeon crawler! :D

If we were talking about the Ogre Battle title it would probably be a different story. Although I'd say that's still playable too.

BTW Have you played Dive Alert? I'm looking to get something else and it's one of the games I don't have that at least looks interesting.

That's probably what I get for not having read the manual still after what like 10 years lol.

But WHICH manual? It came with SIX of them!

I know the plot is the strongest aspect of a dungeon crawler! :D

If we were talking about the Ogre Battle title it would probably be a different story. Although I'd say that's still playable too.

BTW Have you played Dive Alert? I'm looking to get something else and it's one of the games I don't have that at least looks interesting.

Dude, the epic plot of the FIRST Biomotor moved me deeply!

Well, okay, the part where you can ally with the final boss and get a different ending moved me to "hell yeah".

And sad to say I HAVEN'T played Dive Alert. I actually got my NGPC stuff right before it all got shipped back to Japan, so I missed a bunch of it.

I have Dive Alert and find it rather difficult. Its pretty much a sub simulator where you spend most of your time watching a sonar waiting for and opponent to get into range. There are two versions of the game. A blue version for boys that have women as your computer navigators, and a pink version for girls with cute mascot animals as navigators.

EDIT: gameplay video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx4_lCYa1C0&feature=related

Edited by renegadeleader1

And this is true, it's a very nice little unit all-around. But I don't have a flash cart, and SNK closed shop up before Card Fighters 2 and Biomotor Unitron 2 came out in America.

You still have hope, the company is back as SNK Playmore (I think it's called Playmore).

You still have hope, the company is back as SNK Playmore (I think it's called Playmore).

They've long since gotten out of the hardware business at this point. Besides, the NGPC is pretty dated now, so relaunchng it would just be a sign they have no idea what they're doing.

Could some one explain the appeal of the final fantasy series. And why there is such a hate for newer titles?

Well, back in the day, even with minimalist dialogue and graphics, they had compelling stories and characters with unique abilties you'd get attached to, with a simple turn-based mechanic (that, like most RPGs of the day, was mostly copped from Dungeons and Dragons), and whole worlds to explore.

They newer ones, perhaps in some misguided attempt to reinvent the wheel, have battle systems that range from overly-complicated to flat out broken, irritating characters who have become cliches of the genre and are mechanically interchangeable from each other, and incomprehensible stories that are crammed into a linear sequence of linear dungeons.

To be perfectly honest, I think most of the appeal of the FF series in the west stems from FF7 being a LOT of people's first RPG, and most of the REST of the RPG folks starting with FF6(3US) or FF's close relative, Chrono Trigger.

As for why Japan loves it... I don't know. These are the same people that kept buying Dragon Quest games that made you open a menu to climb stairs well into the 90s, so I can't even begin to fathom what they want out of a game(as fully-manual staircases is high on my list of things I don't want).

They newer ones, perhaps in some misguided attempt to reinvent the wheel, have battle systems that range from overly-complicated to flat out broken, irritating characters who have become cliches of the genre and are mechanically interchangeable from each other, and incomprehensible stories that are crammed into a linear sequence of linear dungeons.

I think that's more a case of "what's wrong with JRPGs" than "what's wrong with Final Fantasy"

Especially the battle engine part. Somewhere along the line, (late-SNES, early PS1), the developers started missing the point and viewing new battle engine as a bullet point they needed to have.

I'm actually surprised that ATB survived the PS1 largely unscathed(though I think that was a mistake and it should've been spruced up into something more compelling, at least it was consistent).

So now instead of polishing a servicable battle engine, or updating them as technology allows them to do cooler things, they throw it out entirely every time.

And tone the rest of the gameplay down because they want the game to be easily beatable to avoid turning anyone away with difficulty.

And the cliches are viewed as GOOD because they let people know where they stand with the party members right off("Oh, it's the gruff ne'er-do-well with the heart of gold, I always like that kind of character, so this dude is someone I shall enjoy playing. I shall keep him and large-breasted wizard in my party all the time!").

I think that's more a case of "what's wrong with JRPGs" than "what's wrong with Final Fantasy"

I'd like to point out that the brilliant Xenoblade Chronicles is everything that is right about JRPG's.

My first JRPG was Dragon Warrior (I've also played II, III, VI, and VIII), and I've played every Final Fantasy up to (but not including) 13, excluding 11. Hell, my favorite game of all time is a JRPG, Xenogears. I'd like to think I've got a pretty good handle on what a good JRPG is, or at least what I think one is. I don't think the problem is that they haven't stuck with tried and true game mechanics (though, it's one of the things I love about the Dragon Quest series), the problem is a total lack of originality or vision from the developers--SquareEnix in particular.

Unfortunately, there's only one Tetsuya Takahashi and only one Yasumi Matsuno (and thankfully neither one is with SquareEnix).

Edited by Duke Togo