All Things Video Games Thread: II

Planning to get Ace Combat for PSP, is it worth it and how many episodes are available for the PSP ?

There are two Ace Combat games for PSP; Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception and Ace Combat: Joint Assault. Both are worth it.

Anyone else get an email from EA in German about their account? I found this message but nothing else discussing it: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5549100.page#13186626

I too am guessing it may be related to the massive hack of Epsilon's email addresses. Which sucks, as the one I have associated with EA is my main one.

Anyone else get an email from EA in German about their account? I found this message but nothing else discussing it: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5549100.page#13186626

I too am guessing it may be related to the massive hack of Epsilon's email addresses. Which sucks, as the one I have associated with EA is my main one.

I don't think so. Or at least if I did, it was flagged as spam and I never saw it.

Cant see if this has been posted yet. [...]

Yes. One page back. And another one more.

Something tells me this game's more than wanted around here... :p

*snip*

clap ..... clap .....clap clap ..... clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap

In other news, I've pulled out Valkyria Chronicles from storage. In my opinion, this is the PS3's original killer-app. How I missed terrorizing the Imps from downtown with Marina, Homer's masochism, flanking enemy positions with a twin-tail tsundere, and Alicia's big chest heart. The anime really didn't do this game justice.

Anyone want to trade a Klassic Scorpion code for a Klassic SubZero code? I don't know if the codes are console-specific, but I can offer a PS3 SubZero code.

Also might be willing to trade SubZero for Mileena.

Anyone want to trade a Klassic Scorpion code for a Klassic SubZero code? I don't know if the codes are console-specific, but I can offer a PS3 SubZero code.

Also might be willing to trade SubZero for Mileena.

Is the game any good? I liked the last couple Mortal Kombat games up to and including Armageddon, but have yet to play a Mortal Kombat game this console generation.

Also not sure, if I get it, which version to get. PS3 has Kratos, sure, but I have more friends on Xbox Live. Not to mention I'd rather rack up Achievements than Trophies.

I haven't unwrapped my copy yet, but I liked the demo. Button/controls-wise, reminded me of DOA/Tekken. More DOA if anything.

::edit:: unwrapped. I'm guessing the codes are console-specific, since it mentions PSN and the card is specifically a "PS3" SubZero card. Leaving it sealed for the moment, in case someone wants to trade.

The few reviews I've seen pop up so far for MK have been largely positive. I'll probably pick it up eventually.

This year is gonna be so awesome for games. We've had a strong start already and with all the titles coming up, ME3, Duke Nukem, Zelda remake for 3DS etc, it's going to be an expensive, but good year.

This year is gonna be so awesome for games. We've had a strong start already and with all the titles coming up, ME3, Duke Nukem, Zelda remake for 3DS etc, it's going to be an expensive, but good year.

No doubt. This time last year, I was bored out of my mind trying to find something to play. Right now, I've yet to finish Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Shift 2, Homefront, or Bulletstorm. Plus I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to get the money to buy Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection, and Lego Star Wars III. And that's to say nothing of the many games I'm still anticipating in this year.

No doubt. This time last year, I was bored out of my mind trying to find something to play. Right now, I've yet to finish Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Shift 2, Homefront, or Bulletstorm. Plus I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to get the money to buy Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection, and Lego Star Wars III. And that's to say nothing of the many games I'm still anticipating in this year.

I have yet to play Bulletstorm but I have finished Crysis 2. And yes, believe the talk, it's really buggy. I have yet to try the multiplayer but the buggy single player is a turn off. Levels where the voiceover or soundtrack keeps repeating for no reason, collectible points going from positive to negative values (it may indicate zero but it's actually the negative value of your points), bots that keep running into walls....Crytek has potential with this game, but they blew it making it a console port. Portals 2 looks good but I'm getting a "it's short" vibe from the gameplay vids on Youtube.

well the first one could literally be beaten in like 3-4 hours the first go around. Most reviewers are saying 9-10 (some disgruntled people are saying its shorter and ranting about microtransactions that are included so I doubt they are representing it accurately). General consensus is that its longer than the first and quite good. I haven't picked it up yet, but I intend to here shortly. I enjoyed the first one immensely and will happily support Valve. I just wish they'd get on with more Half Life already.

I'm far from being a Valve fan, and I actually thinks that both HL are way overated, but Portal remains one of my best gaming experience so far: the second episode is therefore on my "to get" list, but not immediately though –I still have a lot of games to play in the meanwhile...

I have yet to play Bulletstorm but I have finished Crysis 2. And yes, believe the talk, it's really buggy. I have yet to try the multiplayer but the buggy single player is a turn off. Levels where the voiceover or soundtrack keeps repeating for no reason, collectible points going from positive to negative values (it may indicate zero but it's actually the negative value of your points), bots that keep running into walls....Crytek has potential with this game, but they blew it making it a console port. Portals 2 looks good but I'm getting a "it's short" vibe from the gameplay vids on Youtube.

I almost never do multiplayer, so it's not a big deal. As for single player, I haven't had too many issues. The enemy AI has a tendency to run into walls or focus on a random point (the easier to pick them off, then), and once I had to reload a save because the game wouldn't let me go through a door. May main beef with Crysis 2 is that it's just not as good as the original or Warhead. That does seem to be partly because they developed it for consoles and ported it, and partly because they were going for the more cinematic and linear Call of Duty school of level design instead of the open island made popular with Far Cry.

I'm far from being a Valve fan, and I actually thinks that both HL are way overated, but Portal remains one of my best gaming experience so far: the second episode is therefore on my "to get" list, but not immediately though –I still have a lot of games to play in the meanwhile...

Yeah, I actually couldn't get into Half Life 2 at all (tried on the Xbox and the 360, may try again on PC though), and never played the original. Portal was the first Valve game I played and liked (you can add both the Left 4 Deads to that list, although I seem to be a minority that believes the first one was better). But a lot of what made Portal so good was that it wasn't trying to be a big-budget title. It was an Orange Box extra, or something like $10 by itself on Steam. And that got you a few hours of interesting physics puzzles and a story mostly inferred though a psychotic computer.

Portals 2 looks good but I'm getting a "it's short" vibe from the gameplay vids on Youtube.

I think that's where Portal 2 is tripping up. The first one was short, and shorter if you know the solutions (I ran through the first 17 test chambers in about an hour just to kill a little time and unwind before bed). It got a pass because it was cheap and charming. Portal 2 already had the challenge of not simply being more of the same, but now Valve's charging $50-$60 for it. Suddenly it's not just competing with games like Amnesia or Castle Crashers for a ten-spot, but games like Dragon Age II, Crysis 2, Mortal Kombat, and the like for a good bit more. Portal 2 could be good without being worth what Valve is asking.

Or, put another way, I've decided to hold off on it until there's a good Steam sale.

Crysis 2: very disappointed. Bascially the final level

I was able to walk through everything without hardly firing off a shot, except for a couple of invisible guys at the end which were rather easy to take down. Then it ended. Just like that. I was pretty shocked actually, it was a lot more on-rails than the previous version which I thought was a lot better.

Portal2: will be playing this tomorrow. Weeee!

Finished Crysis 2 after work today. That's one game off the pile!

So

were those four Ceph with the cloaks the final boss, or did I miss something? After killing several Ceph in that pit-looking area, I stealthed and walked by most of them to get to the three nodes, and pretty much stayed in stealth until I got to that big door where you're forced to fight the cloaked Ceph. After that, in the door and game over.

After the giant boss of the first one, and the only-slightly-less-giant boss of Warhead, I was expecting something bigger.

Then again, that sort of summarizes my feelings about the game in general...

So far the only bug I ran into with Crysis 2, was one where it wouldn't load from a save point after I died. Even after restarting my XBOX, the game kept locking up when I tried to continue. I actually had to restart the level I was playing.

I ran into a pretty major bug near the end of the game. Basically, my Nano Catalyst counter reset to 0, and no matter how much I collected it wouldn't go back up. I was a little miffed, since I'd only bought four or five of the twelve available upgrades, but on the other hand aside from the first one in armor and the the stealth upgrades they didn't seem particularly useful.

I ran into a pretty major bug near the end of the game. Basically, my Nano Catalyst counter reset to 0, and no matter how much I collected it wouldn't go back up. I was a little miffed, since I'd only bought four or five of the twelve available upgrades, but on the other hand aside from the first one in armor and the the stealth upgrades they didn't seem particularly useful.

As I mentioned, I don't think it's actually zero. It's the negative value of your original Catalyst counter. As a test, I killed a dozen of those little bugs since they give you about 20 Catalyst points and after a playing through several levels, I checked back and I found that my Catalyst points were on the positive side and some multiple of 20. The normal count on the large enemies is in the hundreds and thousands of points so seeing it as a multiple of 20 tipped me off that it's actually assigning the negative value instead of resetting to 0. So when it resets to zero, you'll need to kill lots of Ceph targets just to put you on the positive side. I was able to unlock all the upgrades only after playing through Ceph-filled levels. Most of the upgrades though are worthless.

Ok, I finished Dragon Age II. If I can finish Bulletstorm, then I won't feel too guilty if I buy a new game.

Anyone gonna play SOCOM 4? I'm gonna be getting my old clan back from SOCOM II, so if anyone is gonna be playing send me a pm.

Anyone gonna play SOCOM 4? I'm gonna be getting my old clan back from SOCOM II, so if anyone is gonna be playing send me a pm.

Nope. My next is probably going to be Mortal Kombat, since I decided early on to wait for a Steam sale before I get Portal 2. Then The Witcher 2 and F.E.A.R. 3.