All Things Video Games Thread: II

My girlfriend got me one (or the paid off preorder for one) as a bday gift earlier this month. I might pick up street fighter or something for launch, but it's really the future titles like zelda, star fox, metal gear, etc that i'm most pumped about. Until then i'll just keep busy with my current ds titles or spring for one or two launch games that should at least be fun.

I would love to get one but not cuz the short battery life and region look, may be will wait for ver. 02

That's exactly what I'm doing. After replacing my GBA with a GBA SP and my original DS with a DS Lite, I've almost come to expect a better version around a year later. By then, maybe they'll have a game or two out that I'd want enough to justify the hefty price tag.

just picked up the third and final entry in NIS/GUST's 2006/2011 "Ar Tonelico" series, and i don't even have a PS3 for it yet!!

DSC_4423.jpg

DSC_4429.jpg

like all of my boxed special edition games, i converted the front-opening outer box into a much more convenient slipcase design;

DSC_4425.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

That's exactly what I'm doing. After replacing my GBA with a GBA SP and my original DS with a DS Lite, I've almost come to expect a better version around a year later. By then, maybe they'll have a game or two out that I'd want enough to justify the hefty price tag.

Frankly speaking the DS Lite is my fave system from the the day of its release until now and the NGC-GBP set.

Edited by Black Valkyrie

So, I really enjoyed dragon age 2. The combat, the story structure, the new graphics engine, I liked all of that but holy cr@p is the game bugged. Casting haste makes me move faster yes, but it also makes the mobs move faster as well, my loyal dog frequently likes to just stop and admire a corner of the map, forcing me to resummon him, I've jumped/teleported off the map on more than one occasion, switching weapons will randomly cause my character to fire at the slowest rate of fire (so if I go from daggers to a bow and back to daggers, hawke still wields the daggers at the speed of the bow), entire mobs are individually marked as plot points on the map so that the entire map is covered in markers, I've had the character animation freeze in the " running with weapons drawn" pose making for rather hilarious cut scenes where hawke looks like he's in a full body cast... I'm sure theres more. This game just should not have been released in this state. :angry:

I really hope ME3 doesn't suffer from similar issues. While I have a great deal of respect for Bioware and I enjoy their games, I worry that they are churning out sequels so rapidly. If they crank em out much faster I'd be willing to bet EA is looking to run another money well dry, they have a tendency to bleed their franchises dry.

That being said, I'm still on the fence about DA2. I'll probably wait to see if some form of DLC allows for new game plus or some kind of Mass Effect style replay system. IMO RPGs either need this feature and/or the ability to roam around post storyline, especially if DLC is essentially assured.

I really hope ME3 doesn't suffer from similar issues. While I have a great deal of respect for Bioware and I enjoy their games, I worry that they are churning out sequels so rapidly. If they crank em out much faster I'd be willing to bet EA is looking to run another money well dry, they have a tendency to bleed their franchises dry.

That being said, I'm still on the fence about DA2. I'll probably wait to see if some form of DLC allows for new game plus or some kind of Mass Effect style replay system. IMO RPGs either need this feature and/or the ability to roam around post storyline, especially if DLC is essentially assured.

the biggest thing that frustrates me about the game is the class balances. The ONE tank you get in the game doesn't do enough damage to hold attention. Meanwhile, rogues and mages do so much damage that within seconds the entire mob will turn on them. Which isn't so bad but since both classes have near zero resistance to knock down, they're quickly in a position where hits are sending them flying across the room, unable to run away or cast counter spells of any kind... not that it matters because with both classes, a couple hits kills them.

Mob control in general in this game is difficult. Several of the mini boss encounters pretty much centers around throwing a dozen baddies at you, either in a tight corridor or out in the open where they swarm you from all sides. Mage Hawke has some AWESOME crowd control spells at his disposal but the other mages do not and the rogue's various mob control tactics don't last enough to make a difference, especially when new mobs just magically drop down out of the sky to swarm you anyways.

Honestly, at the higher difficulty levels, this can be a very frustrating game to play because of the glitches and balances issues.

Yeah.......turn down the volume cause it's sorta NSFW. Funny but if you've got prudish co-workers....

i remember that!! :lol:

Ar Tonelico I and II really are sweet, wonderful little games,

despite their rather unimpressive in-game graphics and bizarre character fashion sense.

a pair of honest-to-goodness gems in the rough.

i PRAY that AT III maintains the high standard. i am REALLY looking forward to it... ^_^

Edited by Shaorin

Yeah.......turn down the volume cause it's sorta NSFW. Funny but if you've got prudish co-workers....

LOL, Those voice actors sounded like they gave their "full" perfomance.

Anyways, just found out that the 3DS is out... and I here I thought the thing wasn't even unveiled. Boy I feel old now, I’m misinformed about my dear videogame industry :lol: .

This popped up on my daily browsing:

Looks interesting.

Does anyone have Crysis 2?

Yes, for PC.

Is it worth picking up?

Haven't really had a chance to play the multiplayer. I have been running through the single player. Options are disappointing. It's been console'd so options I would like to see are non-existent and require a modifying game files. I'm not happy with that.

Does anyone have Crysis 2? Is it worth picking up? I have a whole week off soon, and I've been wanting to pick up a game with good online multiplayer to play...

Yep. Like Az, I bought it for PC last week or the week when Target was offering a $10 gift card for purchasing it (I buy a ton of crap at Target, so for me it was basically $10 off). I haven't played it at all yet. I ordered a Logitech Performance Mouse MX for the extra buttons, and I want to wait for it to arrive first. Figure I'll finish Dragon Age II first, anyway.

So I got my 3DS today, and while I'm still on the fence about launch titles, I love the improvements over the DS just in terms of user friendliness. The fact that the 3DS is compatible with far more network security settings is worth the cost alone. I don't have to swap my network to WEP or turn security off to get the damn thing to work.

As for launch stuff, the only thing I'm even debating buying atm is Street Fighter. But it seems silly to buy it when I have super for 360 and a custom built fight stick. I'm not disouraged though, system launches almost always suck. If the really can get zelda out in June I'll be a happy camper. There is some great stuff planned for the system and I'm looking forward to its library expanding.

I was playing with a demo unit at Target. I was really impressed with it and the 3D effect worked like a charm. I'll definitely pick one up eventually but I have feeling I'll wait until they've gone through at least one hardware revision.

Yeah, the 3D Ive seen is really awesome, though it's really just menu stuff for me currently.

I was reading a Kotaku article about the 3DS and it quoted Nintendo as saying they aren't planning any revised hardware releases this year. Which would be nice, from a personal perspective anyways, I'd like to see the current model stick around. Heck if the big N can put out a better battery that you can swap yourself or have put in for free (or cheaply) it'd probably make the thing perfect.

It's pocket presence isn't that bad really, I imagine the DS XL is way worse. Nintendo always comes up with something, I'm just curious as to what they'd improve upon without making it cost a fair amount more.

Does anyone have Crysis 2? Is it worth picking up? I have a whole week off soon, and I've been wanting to pick up a game with good online multiplayer to play...

Crysis 2 online games currently are a cheater paradise due to a lot of modifiable client side variables having an impact on gameplay – i.e.: players can activate cheats in multiplayer. Check out

to see what it looks like :p

This is what happens when a studio specialized in concole development works on the multi of a PC game... :lol:

Got a surprise yesterday; My brother and me go into a PC store to check out the 3DS and while we are fondling it he says "if you want it it's yours". So, is this console worth it as an overdue birthday present?

As I said before, I’m pretty lost on the console world right now and don’t start me on handhelds. If I hear about a PC game it’s mostly because it has become very popular. I suppose the launch tittles aren’t anything special apart from SFIV but I hear the DS has very good games.

Do you guys with kids play handhelds anymore? Sometimes, as father and occasional PC gamer, I find it hard to have time to play or feel like I might loose too much time from other things.

That and the comments that say that Nintendo does a better version year after release of their handhelds kinda puts me off.

That clip reminds me of what happened to Jessica Philomele in Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. That game's very good, as well as conataining a Law & Order-worthy plot twist. I can't wait to get my hands on the second title, The Fall of Alchemy.

Crysis 2 online games currently are a cheater paradise due to a lot of modifiable client side variables having an impact on gameplay – i.e.: players can activate cheats in multiplayer. Check out

to see what it looks like :p

This is what happens when a studio specialized in concole development works on the multi of a PC game... :lol:

Geez, it's like the problems I'm having with Far Cry 2 at the moment. I tell you, it's hard being a newcomer to multiplayer when all the hardcore people have most of the upgrades and tend to stick together to mop the floor with noobs in ranked matches.

About a zillion reports on bad hinges from the first batch. I'd wait a bit, personally.

I saw a single article on this regarding loose hinges, but it doesn't seem widespread at all. I've heard of the system locking and needing to be sent to the big N for repairs more than this. In either case reports have been extremely limited from what I've read. But like all problems, people who have them are going to make the most noise. Those that don't probably don't have much reason to chime in as they are enjoying their new gadgets.

This is a Nintendo product after all, their Quality, by and large, is unmatched amongst the hardware makers.

Do you guys with kids play handhelds anymore? Sometimes, as father and occasional PC gamer, I find it hard to have time to play or feel like I might loose too much time from other things.

Since seven years I've changed to portable gaming, I have more fun with them, than the consoles. Last month got another DS Lite for back up and a PSP Slim & Lite. Altough I've got a Sega Saturn and a PS2 NTSC/J, just for certain games.

Anyone playing Ghost Trick for the DS ?

Since seven years I've changed to portable gaming, I have more fun with them, than the consoles. Last month got another DS Lite for back up and a PSP Slim & Lite. Altough I've got a Sega Saturn and a PS2 NTSC/J, just for certain games.

Anyone playing Ghost Trick for the DS ?

Played and finished Ghost Trick. Fantastic game, though a bit brief. I'm now playing Okamiden, racked up 4 hours but not got very far yet. I get the feeling it's a pretty big game...

Also, I've been experimenting with different racing wheels on GT5. After 2 failures with cheap wheels I decided to get a Driving Force GT, this was a good decision :) Do you guys use a racing wheel? If so which one?