All Things Video Games Thread: II

Prince of Persia the movie, I felt embarrassed afterward.

I saw it, and I thought it was ok. It's not going to make any top ten lists or anything, but I was entertained.

Did anyone pick up Alpha Protocol? I've been really looking forward to the game, but it's getting rather mediocre reviews. For a developer born from the ashes of the incredibly talented Black Isle, Obsidian doesn't have the best track record. Instead of enjoying Alpha Protocol, I'm starting to worry about Fallout: New Vegas.

At least Castlevania doesn't have those random Xs, exponents, and whatnots at the end of the title. :p

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles comes close :p. I actually like both titles, (the way Shanoa from Ecclesia rolls Akumajou Dracula off her tongue is quite sexy.)

Well I'm surprised. I thought the list would be populated by mostly multiplayer games. Didn't think to see such a variety.

Did anyone pick up Alpha Protocol? I've been really looking forward to the game, but it's getting rather mediocre reviews. For a developer born from the ashes of the incredibly talented Black Isle, Obsidian doesn't have the best track record. Instead of enjoying Alpha Protocol, I'm starting to worry about Fallout: New Vegas.

Both reviewers for Game Informer gave the game a 6.5 out of 10, a below average score (for those of you who don't read Game Informer, an average game according to them scores a 7.0). I do have to say that their reviews do tend to be fairly accurate.

I think I'll pick up this game used, if at all.

Don't worry about Fallout Vegas, because Alpha Protocol most likely got the shaft in favor of making Fallout Vegas a great product. Remember, that the people who worked on the original Fallout series are working on this game. I can't wait until it comes out.

Edited by Wanzerfan

but Game informer is almost always wrong (somehow I'm not surprised you read it...)

Anyways, I'm gonna call it right now; Fallout: New Vegas is going to suck.

Edited by anime52k8

Well, my wife was out of town for the weekend, so I got bored, broke down, and bought Alpha Protocol on Friday. I finished it yesterday, and that's spending the bulk of Saturday and Monday doing nothing but playing. I thought it was a great game. Sure, it was no Mass Effect, but I feel like a lot of the complaints I was reading in some reviews are just unwarranted. Like they were approaching the game as if it were Splinter Cell with RPG elements, and not an outright RPG. I wrote about it more in depth here, but the bottom line is that I was definitely satisfied with the final product. Sure, it was a little buggy at times, but the solid story and entertaining gameplay made up for it.

According to game reviewers, every game has to redefine the genre or else its "Below Average". There are only 2 ways around this, hype up the game so much that everyone knows its the greatest thing ever (Call of Duty 4), or you can just pay for perfect 10's (Grand Theft Auto 4). I guess my point is game reviews are just unreliable no matter where you go, rent games if they look interesting to you.

Just got MGS Peace Walker. Also playing PSP on a HD screen for the first time.... it's really nice. It's not full screen but it scales-up decently.

My brother and I have been playing Peace Walker all night, awesome game, far too awesome to pack onto one tiny UMD. I hope any future console Metal Gear will have the co-op sneaking options this game has.

So lemme get this straight. PC games that we purchase now have to be downloaded from sites, like Steam for example, before we can play them? I think I can even recall not being able to play my Steam-related games, like AvP because Steam was too "busy" to accomodate my request? I'm trying to install MW2 now but Steam's too "busy" to let me do so. Whatever happened to paying $60 for a game, installing it, and then doing whatever the hell you feel like doing with it, whenever you want to do it, whether it was playing it or using it as a coaster?

Edited by myk

It's one of the side effects of using an online service like steam. To be fair, I've only experienced the inability to play my games when I want about 2 or 3 times since I've started using steam, which I got when I bought Half-Life 2. Some games, you can actually bypass steam and play them by finding the executable in the steam folder in your hard drive. I know this works for the first two X-com games.

All in all, I like steam quite a bit. I just set up my downloads, and I go to bed.

It's one of the side effects of using an online service like steam. To be fair, I've only experienced the inability to play my games when I want about 2 or 3 times since I've started using steam...

I tried to play AvP today also-no dice. Must be my rotten luck then. Yeah I've read about tinkering with some files to bypass steam but I'm just reminiscing about simpler times I guess...

You should be able to play in offline mode. Whenever you can't login into Steam, don't you get a prompt asking you to go into offline mode? Or does that only apply to Valve games?

Edited by shiroikaze

You should be able to play in offline mode. Whenever you can't login into Steam, don't you get a prompt asking you to go into offline mode? Or does that only apply to Valve games?

No, I don't. Maybe there's something missing in my installs, lol. BTW, I know I'm waaaaay behind the times here but walking through an airport, slaughtering helpless civilians while posing as a terrorist? I don't care if MW2 is just a game that's just wrong, man...

Prince of Persia the movie, I felt embarrassed afterward.

My friends wanted to see it at imax and I refused. I got better things to spend $27 on.

They ended up paying for me so I didnt have to wait outside in the cold. Feel kinda bad but the movie sucked as much as I thought it would, waiting outside woulda been better probably.

Edited by Million Star

All I know, is that the Force Unleashed II dev team better have added light saber limb chopping, 'cus it looks like Rising is gonna own the slice & dice genre for a while.

anyone with a 360 try the Transformers WFC demo yet? How's the game play?

Pretty good. I think I would have liked it better if they didn't just throw you into a team deathmatch without explaining the controls or anything. Gameplay is third person shooter, but not as clunky as Gears of War. The face buttons, starting with X/square and going around clockwise, are reload, switch weapons, special power, and jump. R1/RB is for tossing a grenade, R2/RT fires your weapon. L1/LB does a quick forward dash, and R2/LT is aim. Clicking in the left stick transforms, and clicking in the right stick does a melee attack.

There are four classes in the multiplayer, and only two are available: scout and leader. I tried a scout. I guess a scout is quicker? The scout's special ability is to turn invisible, but he didn't seem to have much heath and his weapons were kind of weak. I only managed to get one kill (and to give you an idea how bad that is, game is first team to 40).

Judging by the multiplayer, I think most people are better off with Modern Warfare or Battlefield Bad Company 2, but Transformers fans who are tired of those games will definitely enjoy the mp. Unfortunately, the game doesn't really give us a look at the campaign, which is what I'm most interested in.