Jetfire

Bmaximum

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask sucha question but I was wondering. I currently have a Painted Matsushiro in my possession an started wondering, did it come with a heat shield? I know that there were alot of things that were discontinued after the fighting kite symbol was removed, for example, did it also come with missiles? Positivity please, haven't been here in a while!

As cool as the chunkies were, the jetfire look was my favorite. I even prefer the rounded nose. We probably aren't supposed to talk about that stuff, but for a generation of north american kids, jetfire was the key to the journey to a life long love of macross.

At the same time, I WISH someone would make a masterpiece G1 Skyfire.

Y'know, as much love as I have for the ol chunkies (believe me I have most, if not all of em) I will have to agree with you. My love for them all began with jetfire. Honestly, I understand that he is a transfan fav and this is a Macross site, he is a bridge between the two. Maybe it IS unauthorized talk and I apologize but as we and countless others point out, without Jetfire, we may not have found out about Macross. I know it' beating a dead horse to proverbial mush but that's how it is. Hell, when I was a kid, my cousin owned a jetfire and that's where it began. They stayed on shelves for a while where I was from and I BEGGED my folks to get me one for xmas. instead what I got was a robotech alpha...at the time (early 80's) one cartoons popularity was easily eclipsed by the other so I'd BARELY heard of robotech. On top of that it was the 1/35 scale alpha, at a lil ove 25.00 each it escaped me as to why my floks opted to get two of one instead of one of what what asked...it woulda been so much cheaper. I was like "hey, who am I to argue?" and went on my merry way, questioning "What IS robotech"? I had a real hard time sitting through it though because, as a kid I was hyper and there wasn't enough explosions in it for me, I DID, however notice that, in the opening, there was a fighter that looked JUST LIKE jetfire with a yellow and black color variant. Later I'd find this to be Roys' fighter but I'd be perplexed about why there was a major switchup between both macross (robotech) and the toy which came to be named skyfire (speakin of which, I can understand why the fighter had to be redesigned for the cartoon but not what was up with the name change) until years later when I'd start collecting. At that time I pondered Jetfire's dark history and discussed it with a friend of mine and fellow MW'er Darkwind. After some deliberation I delved into the world of macross starting with a Mat Jetfire and collecting all the chunkies, it pretty much grew from there, Hell, I even got a joons! The question remains though, I know that the earlier Jetfires (which are directly related to the original chunkies of takatoku ect...) came with the fighting kite symbol, whatever came of the missile tree and heat shield?

As cool as the chunkies were, the jetfire look was my favorite. I even prefer the rounded nose. We probably aren't supposed to talk about that stuff, but for a generation of north american kids, jetfire was the key to the journey to a life long love of macross.

Y'know, as much love as I have for the ol chunkies (believe me I have most, if not all of em) I will have to agree with you. My love for them all began with jetfire. Honestly, I understand that he is a transfan fav and this is a Macross site, he is a bridge between the two. Maybe it IS unauthorized talk and I apologize but as we and countless others point out, without Jetfire, we may not have found out about Macross. I know it' beating a dead horse to proverbial mush but that's how it is. Hell, when I was a kid, my cousin owned a jetfire and that's where it began. They stayed on shelves for a while where I was from and I BEGGED my folks to get me one for xmas. instead what I got was a robotech alpha...at the time (early 80's) one cartoons popularity was easily eclipsed by the other so I'd BARELY heard of robotech. On top of that it was the 1/35 scale alpha, at a lil ove 25.00 each it escaped me as to why my floks opted to get two of one instead of one of what what asked...it woulda been so much cheaper. I was like "hey, who am I to argue?" and went on my merry way, questioning "What IS robotech"? I had a real hard time sitting through it though because, as a kid I was hyper and there wasn't enough explosions in it for me, I DID, however notice that, in the opening, there was a fighter that looked JUST LIKE jetfire with a yellow and black color variant. Later I'd find this to be Roys' fighter but I'd be perplexed about why there was a major switchup between both macross (robotech) and the toy which came to be named skyfire (speakin of which, I can understand why the fighter had to be redesigned for the cartoon but not what was up with the name change) until years later when I'd start collecting. At that time I pondered Jetfire's dark history and discussed it with a friend of mine and fellow MW'er Darkwind. After some deliberation I delved into the world of macross starting with a Mat Jetfire and collecting all the chunkies, it pretty much grew from there, Hell, I even got a joons! The question remains though, I know that the earlier Jetfires (which are directly related to the original chunkies of takatoku ect...) came with the fighting kite symbol, whatever came of the missile tree and heat shield?

Just to let you know I had one too and I made the connection between Jetfire being too similar to a Valkyrie or Veritech as it was known back in 1985-1986 but f you look on the back plate you see Bandai's logo it was the for the suppossedly Macthbox SDF-1 which had the Bandai logo and the Macross logo on the bottom of it's feet.

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask sucha question but I was wondering. I currently have a Painted Matsushiro in my possession an started wondering, did it come with a heat shield? I know that there were alot of things that were discontinued after the fighting kite symbol was removed, for example, did it also come with missiles? Positivity please, haven't been here in a while!

http://www.seibertron.com/toys/gallery.php...e=0&start=0

Hope this can help you. ;)

I think it's called a 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S.

Seriously, though, someone did a custom and put it in Anime and other Sci Fi Transformers thread. I hae my 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S standing next to my MP Optimus Prime as is, though.

You talking about this---> http://forums.tformers.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=89414

I think this thread must be moved to the Anime or Science Fiction forum.

It's still a valk. Just re-branded. And as we said above, if jetfire hadn't been brought to us, many of us never would have found macross. It deserves it's place.

And possibly, if we let one jetfire thread exist, people would stop making new ones......

It's still a valk. Just re-branded. And as we said above, if jetfire hadn't been brought to us, many of us never would have found macross. It deserves it's place.

And possibly, if we let one jetfire thread exist, people would stop making new ones......

I most definately concur, Jetfire deserves a place amongst macross purity, if not for him maybe I wouldnt've found the pearly gates of Macrossdom. I understand that alot of the purists want to keep this a strictly macross themed site and that is how Shawn and Graham would want it...it's just, when it comes to Jetfire, the lines aren't as black and white as many others, who may want to ban this type of talk, say they are. If we were talkin about Jazz or Bumblebee then yeah, that' strictly for transfans but JF's different. Also, I would like it noted that am NOT trying to mount an insurrection but do my miniscule part to raise awareness...OK, so to the task at hand, is it unanimous that there was NO heatshield with the first mat jetfires? What about missile trees?

Just to let you know I had one too and I made the connection between Jetfire being too similar to a Valkyrie or Veritech as it was known back in 1985-1986 but f you look on the back plate you see Bandai's logo it was the for the suppossedly Macthbox SDF-1 which had the Bandai logo and the Macross logo on the bottom of it's feet.

Of course, since they were both licensed releases. Hasbro got the license and mold from Bandai to produce Jetfire (and also Roadbuster (Mugen Calibur from Dorvack) and Whirl (Gazette Ovelon from the same show), while Matchbox got the licenses and molds from Bandai to produce several Robotech toys.

I most definately concur, Jetfire deserves a place amongst macross purity, if not for him maybe I wouldnt've found the pearly gates of Macrossdom. I understand that alot of the purists want to keep this a strictly macross themed site and that is how Shawn and Graham would want it...it's just, when it comes to Jetfire, the lines aren't as black and white as many others, who may want to ban this type of talk, say they are. If we were talkin about Jazz or Bumblebee then yeah, that' strictly for transfans but JF's different. Also, I would like it noted that am NOT trying to mount an insurrection but do my miniscule part to raise awareness...OK, so to the task at hand, is it unanimous that there was NO heatshield with the first mat jetfires? What about missile trees?

That's a bit harsh, considering we do talk about knock-offs here. Jetfire is just a knock off....one that got most of the people from the western hemisphere into macross.

Yep, Jetfire (Skyfire) should have just been made the way he looked in the cartoon...that would be the best way to honor that fool. He was bigger and stronger than Optimus, could have taken the leadership, and then killed Megatron. LOL.

Look at the size of this guy!

Yep, Jetfire (Skyfire) should have just been made the way he looked in the cartoon...that would be the best way to honor that fool. He was bigger and stronger than Optimus, could have taken the leadership, and then killed Megatron. LOL.

Look at the size of this guy!

post-2303-1271169639_thumb.jpg

That's a bit harsh, considering we do talk about knock-offs here. Jetfire is just a knock off....one that got most of the people from the western hemisphere into macross.

I apologize then for the harshness of such a comment, I've seen topics of this nature closed and locked by admin...so I want/ed to approach this with the utmost delicateness. One of the reasons I asked the questions I asked was because I may be getting back into the collecting scene sometime in the near future, another is just my innate curiousity. Not trying to turn this into a collections thread but I wish to shed a little illumination by showing why I asked about the heatshield and missile tree. Missing are pics of the open and closed GBP giftset and a pic of an open 90's super vf-1s.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z84/jae...tion/?start=all

Edited by Bmaximum

I remember having a choice as a kid.... I chose the GI Joe Hovercraft over the Jetfire and regretted it ever since (especially since my cousin ended up getting Jetfire).

Does that mean CONVERTORS were legit?

I think the convertors were all knock offs. The transformers, Jetfire, the Insecticons ect...were all licensed port overs. the convertors were all poorly made reproductions of the original toys. Look at Joons, those would be another example of knock offs. I mean, if we were to truely consider JF a knock off then the Gakken Alphas (robotech) would also be knock offs....see what I mean? To echo Chen...

Edited by Bmaximum

I apologize then for the harshness of such a comment, I've seen topics of this nature closed and locked by admin...so I want/ed to approach this with the utmost delicateness. One of the reasons I asked the questions I asked was because I may be getting back into the collecting scene sometime in the near future, another is just my innate curiousity. Not trying to turn this into a collections thread but I wish to shed a little illumination by showing why I asked about the heatshield and missile tree. Missing are pics of the open and closed GBP giftset and a pic of an open 90's super vf-1s.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z84/jae...tion/?start=all

No, I didn't mean that you were being harsh. I meant to say that removing this thread would be harsh. Jetfire is still a valk toy. Just rebranded. It's not like this is some official industry forum. It's for fans.

So, I guess the better word for Transformers would be "rip off"... right?

Again, I would caution against the use of such strong terminology. a rip off would be the use of a licenced product without permission of the parent company. Hasbro had full permission to use all molds to create the transformers toy line. The creators of the convertors/maladroids toyline made toys that looked like their other transformable varients but with small "alterations", just enough to get them over the top to make the toys. If they had the licences then Istand corrected but this is my educated guess...Sooooo...jetfire had NO missile tree?

A knockoff or bootleg is ANY re-production of a item that is not a LEGAL re-production. That goes for movies, t-shirts, toys, whatever. If the property has been licensed from the original company without breaking any trademark laws and has either been re-branded or re-produced it is not a knockoff.

Convertors were not bootlegs either. They were just domestic releases of really cheap train station toys that were poor quality in the first place, manufactured originally by Takatoku's partner that handled their cheapy releases, Mark. Some of the Convertors releases even have Takatoku or the TT diamond logo on them.

I call bullsh*t on this one.

What got most people in the West into Macross was ROBOTECH, not Jetfire.

Good grief.

The only reason I even *WANTED* a Jetfire toy was because it was a Valkryie from ROBOTECH.

We need a CONVERTORS thread. =)

Jetfire was my first Valk. I remember figuring it out as a kid "hmmm it's the same design for two cartoons"... at the time, I thought I was the only one in the world who knew about this conspiracy. =D

I call bullsh*t on this one.

What got most people in the West into Macross was ROBOTECH, not Jetfire.

Good grief.

The only reason I even *WANTED* a Jetfire toy was because it was a Valkryie from ROBOTECH.

Not disagreein with you but tryin to further strengthen your reply, YES what got alot of us into MACROSS was ROBOTECH. What got most of us into robotech tho...JETFIRE...It's the honest to <insert deity here> truth! When you chck the sindication from back in the day, transformers ratings had robotechs beat hands down. unless you were a bit older, almost too old to care about the toys, you weren't gonna care about the necessary subtleties and plot twists that robotech/macross had to offer. I mean, if you want further proof, ask 10 ppl our age (I'll be nice and throw mine out there, 35) how many watched transformers and looked steadfastly for the toys and then ask the same of robotech...it'll be fairly unanimous. Such can't be asked here because there'd be an obvious bias and not that it'd be a bad bias but there'd be a bias nonetheless. Continuing, due to Transformers being a ratings juggernaut with the kids they were able to sell more toys, kids run into the stores and see a JF on the shelf and think the looks real cool but don't later make the connection until later on when they see robotech. An example of ratings, I remember TF's being shown on FOX back in the day between 330 and 4 in the afternoons, the MAIN channel where all the cool cartoons were shown AND PRIME TIME. Robotech was on an off channel, not ABC or NBC and real early in the morning on the weekends, not impossible to catch but not the busiest time for TV. That was Midwest early 80's television lineups so I can't speak for the rest of the country, but the areas I know of. The few of us that were able to make the link were the ones who were not only lucky enough to either have the toy or know someone who had it but get up early enough (at least once) to catch robotech. So, yeah Skull-1, I agree with you! But can anyone PLEASE tell me if Jetfire came with missiles!?!

Edited by Bmaximum