The PS3 thread

Gaijin

Well I'll do that on saturday night, since I'am off work on sunday, and I have a 500gb hd in my system with only 29 gb free space space. Sooooo....I think it's going to be a all-nighter.

lol, only having 29 gigs left "may" have something to do with your issue as well, but try that first. Probably won't take as long as you think, but you still may want to trim out any fat you don't need.

I'm surprised that this defrag thing doesn't come up more often. Does Sony not think that this is an important maintenance procedure?

I think they're more afraid of people choosing other options and accidentally formatting all their data, which wouldn't be an issue if they kep tthe defrag option itself under system settings. Hell, at least they put it in at all.

So Keith I take it that you've performed the defrag. Did you notice any difference in performance with your system afterwards?

lol, only having 29 gigs left "may" have something to do with your issue as well, but try that first. Probably won't take as long as you think, but you still may want to trim out any fat you don't need.

But I like having Doctor Who, SDF Macross,DYRL,FB,M7,Mplus,Zero, Frontier,MII, Infinite Stratos and isekai no seikishi monogatari on my ps3 to watch whenever I want! :(

Seriously...I need to get a 1 or 2 TB hardive....

Couldn't you just back up those video's on an external?

I have, but it takes too long to read when I plug it in the PS3. Plus the PS3 wont recognize a USB 3.0 external I got. So far after deleting and trasfering I'm up to 104gb of free space....

Well, Kmart is giving a $50 gaming coupon for buying a PS3, so I picked up a 320GB slim Uncharted 3 bundle.

And then I got bored while I was re-downloading all my stuff, so I started poking at the old ones again. There's a pair of... I dunno what you'd call them, round things in the front of the blu-ray drive. They seem to be connected to arms that run up the sides of the drive. I moved the arms, and the gray things rotated back and toward the edges of the drive. So I put everything together, hooked it all up in the bedroom, and turned it on. The drive made some noise that I'm sure it didn't make before... not a good sign, but I grab a disc I'd burned of some shows I'd downloaded off the net (that I could easily re-burn, if necessary). The drive took the disc in, and I could hear it spinning. This was an improvement! The disc spun for a long time, and I was afraid that it wasn't going to read it, but eventually it did. Feeling bold, I grabbed my copy of MGS4 (figuring that it'd be the easiest to replace), stuck it in, and it booted just fine.

Long story short, I got the Blu-ray drive from my YLOD-ed 60GB PS3 working in the 40GB PS3 in which everything worked fine except the Blu-ray drive. I even swapped the hard drives, so I've got the extra storage in there now, too (although the drive had to be formatted).

It just would have been nice if I could get it working before I broke down and bought a new one.

Well my PS3 seems to be working fine after cleaning it and defragging the HD. Many many thanks to everyone for the all the help. It was greatly appreciated. As bonus, I got a PSN $10.00 credit to my account, via my messages.

Glad it worked, it's just too bad they don't make HDD a mandatory task. BTW, have you tried 2.22 or any other skipping blurays yet?

Glad it worked, it's just too bad they don't make HDD a mandatory task. BTW, have you tried 2.22 or any other skipping blurays yet?

No I havent.... Give me a moment......Hmmmm... <_< It took two tries, and me gabbing a zeiss wipe to clean it, to get 2.2 load. Same with Robot Chicken.....For some reason, when I use a moist zeiss wipe and clean the disc (even if it's already clean), it loads.... :huh: While 'am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll take what I get, and I already plan on buying a new slim model and a 1 or 2 TB hd drive, if I can find one thats a internal 2.5. B))

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

I had some problems with Mass Effect 2 (would randomly crash) and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 (wouldn't load a mission) a couple of weeks ago. A friend told me to clear space. Did that and Gundam seems to work fine for now, though i never went on Mass Effect 2 incase the problem happened again. Nothing worse then playing so much of a game to lose all that memory. Sure i could keep saving, though that takes all the fun out of the missions.

What are the chances that it could be the copy of the game?

I have, but it takes too long to read when I plug it in the PS3. Plus the PS3 wont recognize a USB 3.0 external I got. So far after deleting and trasfering I'm up to 104gb of free space....

I network mine for vids to my computer. Works pretty good cept some of the HD movies skip sometimes on the wireless

Well, it's time to upgrade my PS3's HDD. I want quality over quantity*. Don't need a half-terabyte or anything---mine's a 40, so even 80 gigs would be a massive improvement. So I'm thinking 100-250 or so. There's nothing in town, so I'll have to order from Newegg/Tiger/Amazon.

*That means I'd rather have a good, fast-seeking 100GB model than a slow 500GB model, if the price was the same.

too much gameplay, not enough Cut-scenes and Quick time events :p

Lol, I know right. I dunno, I'm a sucker for video game story lines like the ones in MW...

Anyways, to answer archer's question; I did pick up MW3 on launch day so I've had a chance to log a few hours in every game mode.

First off, the campaign, while fun, is pretty short. I was able to complete a play through on normal difficulty in less than 5 hours. the whole thing was fun to play, and there where quite a few really entertaining sequences but it still felt like there should have been two or three more missions sprinkled in and maybe stretch out a couple sequences just to get the overall length up. That said, the game is well placed, and IMO does a better job of presenting it's story than MW2 did.

Beyond that, spec Ops is back, and it plays more or less the same as the last one although there are fewer missions than last time. instead you get Survivor mode which plays more or less like any other clone of horde mode mixed with Nazi zombies. It's fun, but it really should have been 4 player instead of 2.

As for Multiplayer; I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it. This is seems weird considering how much I complained about the class building system in black ops; but I kind of miss the CoD point system. despite being cheap and disproportionately hard to unlock stuff at lower levels compared to higher ones, being able to purchase any weapon attachment as soon as that weapon unlocks was very convenient. I also miss wager matches; all the game modes are still there but they're all under private matches so you can't just jump into a lobby and play random people and there's no incentive for anyone to play without the betting element. admittedly I'm only level 28 out of 80 in multiplayer so it very well could be that I haven't made enough progress and i'm not used to the specifics of this iteration of the CoD multiplayer experience. I'll give it some more time to see if it grows on me.

Ill be getting MW3, just for the fun factor in multiplayer. Dont have Black Ops because heard it wasnt that fun. I know its a minor improved MW2, but I enjoy that game for the online multiplayer and the maps get old

I actually ended up enjoying Black Ops overall. I found it pretty frustrating at first but the longer I stuck with it the more the multiplayer grew on me. Treyarch also did a decent job of going back post release and tweaking the game balance in response to feedback from the community as well as adding maps through DLC that where more conducive to varied styles of play. Including the DLC I think Black Ops had some of the best maps overall since CoD4.

I actually ended up enjoying Black Ops overall. I found it pretty frustrating at first but the longer I stuck with it the more the multiplayer grew on me. Treyarch also did a decent job of going back post release and tweaking the game balance in response to feedback from the community as well as adding maps through DLC that where more conducive to varied styles of play. Including the DLC I think Black Ops had some of the best maps overall since CoD4.

Hey man,, don't talk me into getting another game :p I was thinking of getting BF3, but I've been hearing mixed reviews on multiplayer and honestly that's the reason I got into gaming at all

What about Battlefield 3?

I was thinking the same thing... BF3 "looks" soooo much better than CoD - I mean the new CoD looked good, but it still looked like a video game - but when I first saw the play screens in BF3 - I was shocked, it looks spectacular! Don't they all play similarly? Although BF3 didn't get the glowing reviews CoD got. Does anyone know first hand if either CoD or BF3 supports Playstation Move? I can't find any official information (so I guess that's a bad sign).

too much gameplay, not enough Cut-scenes and Quick time events :p

Sorry to be a newbie, but what do you mean?

Sorry to be a newbie, but what do you mean?

More recent Metal Gear games have been somewhat notorious for being very cut-scene heavy, particularly MGS4 where something like half the games run time is just watching video where the only interactivity is occasionally being prompted to press a button.

Hey man,, don't talk me into getting another game :p I was thinking of getting BF3, but I've been hearing mixed reviews on multiplayer and honestly that's the reason I got into gaming at all

The reviews I heard were down on BF3 because the single player was boring. I don't think anyone was surprised by that seeing as how the battlefield series has always been multiplayer only. My biggest problem with BF3 is you can't destroy as many buildings as in BFBC2. If your into a fun teamwork experience, you cant go wrong with BF3 as long as you got friends to play it with. If you want tanks, helicopters and planes to cruise around in BF3 has got ya covered. If you want a game that never gets old (my opinion of course) choose BF3.

On another topic, nobody should be on the fence about buying the MGS HD collection, it's awesome. Go buy it now!

I was thinking the same thing... BF3 "looks" soooo much better than CoD - I mean the new CoD looked good, but it still looked like a video game - but when I first saw the play screens in BF3 - I was shocked, it looks spectacular! Don't they all play similarly? Although BF3 didn't get the glowing reviews CoD got. Does anyone know first hand if either CoD or BF3 supports Playstation Move? I can't find any official information (so I guess that's a bad sign).

I've always thought of the games like this: Battlefield for multiplayer, 20 vs 20 player madness, and COD for single player campaign based gameplay. Now, I know that COD's mulitplayer is popular, but that's how I differentiate between the two games, and I always tell people that it isn't really fair or accurate to say that one is better than the other because they have different intentions...

The reviews I heard were down on BF3 because the single player was boring. I don't think anyone was surprised by that seeing as how the battlefield series has always been multiplayer only. My biggest problem with BF3 is you can't destroy as many buildings as in BFBC2. If your into a fun teamwork experience, you cant go wrong with BF3 as long as you got friends to play it with. If you want tanks, helicopters and planes to cruise around in BF3 has got ya covered. If you want a game that never gets old (my opinion of course) choose BF3.

On another topic, nobody should be on the fence about buying the MGS HD collection, it's awesome. Go buy it now!

OK ya talked me into it,,,, just picked up MW3 at Sams club for $54 so Ill have to try BF3

I've always thought of the games like this: Battlefield for multiplayer, 20 vs 20 player madness, and COD for single player campaign based gameplay. Now, I know that COD's mulitplayer is popular, but that's how I differentiate between the two games, and I always tell people that it isn't really fair or accurate to say that one is better than the other because they have different intentions...

Recent CoD games are as much built around multiplayer as newer Battlefield games. The difference is more a matter of mentality. Battlefield is a game of scale, built around big teams and big maps with an emphasis on vehicle use and unit dynamics. CoD on the other hand is a wild west gunfight with close air support, where the focus is on the individual experience and keeping the action as in your face as possible. Of course, both are perfectly valid ways to go about designing a multiplayer experience, it really comes down to what they player wants to play.

Bought a PS3 the other day mostly for the Torne digital TV recorder thing.

For some reason, the console has already crashed (frozen actually) twice in less than 5 days. The first one was really scary because it said that if a restart is not possible, that I should re-install system software 3.72 with some disc, which of course is not included.

When it works, though, the Torne interface is really very easy to use, I'm quite pleased with it. Thanks to the search system I managed to find a few programmes I would never have noticed otherwise, like reruns of Cat's Eye, Jungle Emperor Leo and some "Open University"-style programs on cosplay etc.

I also played Macross Last Frontier, but I guess people are talking about that in the other forum.