The PS3 thread

Gaijin

Yes it is the best game like ever. Seriously it's truly amazing all around and they threw everything and the kitchen sink into it. Also I bought my from Best Buy pre-order for Robin and man I wish I could've ran through the game with him too. All characters have their own moves sets specific to them. Since Robin (Tim Drake) has a bo-staff his moves, counters and combos are insane. Now I can't wait to find out how Nightwing will play when he becomes DLC later next month.

• 2 weeks later...

I sat down today to watch a video on my PS3. The PS3 turned on like normal, and I started the video. Not more than five seconds in, the PS3 made three quick beeps, shut down and started blinking a red light at me. If I shut the power switch off in the back, or I hold the power button down until it beeps and goes solid red, but if I tried to turn it on it would immediate beep, shut down, and start flashing.

Give it to me straight, guys... is my 60GB backwards-compatible PS3 dead?

I sat down today to watch a video on my PS3. The PS3 turned on like normal, and I started the video. Not more than five seconds in, the PS3 made three quick beeps, shut down and started blinking a red light at me. If I shut the power switch off in the back, or I hold the power button down until it beeps and goes solid red, but if I tried to turn it on it would immediate beep, shut down, and start flashing.

Give it to me straight, guys... is my 60GB backwards-compatible PS3 dead?

::sigh:: superdead. Just be glad you didn't have a disc in there, I hear it's a b!tch to get them out once this happens.

Given that I've also got a 60 gig, I've been trying to use it as much as possible. I figure if it's going to go, I want to put as much mileage as possible on it.

::sigh:: superdead. Just be glad you didn't have a disc in there, I hear it's a b!tch to get them out once this happens.

Given that I've also got a 60 gig, I've been trying to use it as much as possible. I figure if it's going to go, I want to put as much mileage as possible on it.

I... actually did have a disc in there.

Well, I have a second PS3 my brother gave me. That one is, IIRC, a 40GB. It works fine, except the Blu-ray drive went on it. Anyone know if I can use the drive from my 60GB in the 40GB and have at least one fully functional PS3? I think I recall reading that I have to make sure that the drive's logic board is the one that goes with the PS3... that is, in my case, the logic board from the 40GB's bad drive has to be paired with the working 60GB drive, or the PS3 won't accept the drive.

Yeah, most likely your CPU/GPU is shot. You could try taking the system apart and reapplying thermal paste to the CPU and GPU, I've heard that sometimes works. Paying Sony to repair it is another option, though Roy's experience with that wasn't encouraging. There's always a miniscule chance that your hard drive is dead, so you could try swapping it out and see what happens.

And for the BRD, you could try swapping it out too. Your PS3 isn't tied to the specific BRD daughterboard that your system came with, but rather to the daughterboard's model number. Since there's a set number of BRD daughterboards out there, there's probably like a 1 in 20 chance that a blind swap will work.

And for the BRD, you could try swapping it out too. Your PS3 isn't tied to the specific BRD daughterboard that your system came with, but rather to the daughterboard's model number. Since there's a set number of BRD daughterboards out there, there's probably like a 1 in 20 chance that a blind swap will work.

Is there a way to tell? They look pretty similar, but the one in the 60GB has an A and a 2, the other one has an A and a 3.

I've heard, and had 3 friends go through this, that reapplying thermal paste will actually fix the PS3 for a short while, but after approximately 8 hours of life, it will shut down again. And the following reapplication of thermal paste, it cuts down to approximately 6 hours. And the vicious cycle continous.

Based on your story, this is exactly what my friends went through,and not a hard drive failure (although I am not sure). just call up Sony and see what they can do. If they don't offer a reasonable fix, and you don't want a slim, I think there are some aftermarket places that will fix it for ya ;)

Well, I tried just swapping the drives. The PS3 booted fine, but the eject button didn't do anything. So I took the daughter boards off of both, opened the drive, took my disc out, and put it back together, and swapped the daughter board. I put it in the PS3, it boots, and it beeps when I hit the eject button. I can hear stuff moving. But if I try to stick a disc in, it doesn't suck it up. It sits there like it already has a disc in it. Any thoughts?

Well, I tried just swapping the drives. The PS3 booted fine, but the eject button didn't do anything. So I took the daughter boards off of both, opened the drive, took my disc out, and put it back together, and swapped the daughter board. I put it in the PS3, it boots, and it beeps when I hit the eject button. I can hear stuff moving. But if I try to stick a disc in, it doesn't suck it up. It sits there like it already has a disc in it. Any thoughts?

Take the BD drive apart again & make sure you didn't miss anything when re-assembling it?

Those repair shops aren't TOO bad when it comes to pricing; it's cheaper than Sony and buying a slim to replace my 60G isn't an option...

Well, I gave it a final go. Everything looked normal, I double checked that all four ribbons connecting the drive to the daughter board (and the single tiny plug) were in place, I put everything back together, and the result is still the same. It beeps the way it usually does when you hit the eject button and nothing is in the drive, and I can hear parts moving inside. But if I try to put a disc in, it won't suck it up. It goes maybe a half an inch in, then hits some kind of resistance (almost like if you try to put a disc into a drive that already has a disc).

Well, that PS3 didn't read discs before, so it's no worse off, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm still stuck without a PS3 that can play discs... the night before Uncharted 3. Man this sucks. I just bought an elliptical machine for the wife's birthday; I really can't afford a PS3 right now.

Well, I gave it a final go. Everything looked normal, I double checked that all four ribbons connecting the drive to the daughter board (and the single tiny plug) were in place, I put everything back together, and the result is still the same. It beeps the way it usually does when you hit the eject button and nothing is in the drive, and I can hear parts moving inside. But if I try to put a disc in, it won't suck it up. It goes maybe a half an inch in, then hits some kind of resistance (almost like if you try to put a disc into a drive that already has a disc).

Well, that PS3 didn't read discs before, so it's no worse off, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm still stuck without a PS3 that can play discs... the night before Uncharted 3. Man this sucks. I just bought an elliptical machine for the wife's birthday; I really can't afford a PS3 right now.

Return it, tell her replacements are on backorder :)

Sorry to hear that the BRD swap didn't work. As you've found out by now, the only to tell which model BRD you have is to take it apart.

I'm guessing the reason that your 60gb BRD is jammed is because the loading mechanism got misaligned when you removed the disc that was in there. The same thing happened to me when I took apart my PS2's DVD drive. When I put it back together, all the gears and rods were snugly back into their original positions, or so it seemed. Took me nearly two hours of trial and error to get them back into their original alignments. You can probably find some online guides for the PS3's BRD alignments.

Sorry to hear that the BRD swap didn't work. As you've found out by now, the only to tell which model BRD you have is to take it apart.

I'm guessing the reason that your 60gb BRD is jammed is because the loading mechanism got misaligned when you removed the disc that was in there. The same thing happened to me when I took apart my PS2's DVD drive. When I put it back together, all the gears and rods were snugly back into their original positions, or so it seemed. Took me nearly two hours of trial and error to get them back into their original alignments. You can probably find some online guides for the PS3's BRD alignments.

Thanks for the info. A quick search online sounds like there's some latches and a gear that I should look for.

Man. Does anybody have the same problem with there ps3 that I have? Some blu ray movies play fine, case in point. I just played sayanora no tsubasa fine. The crow, excellent. But now I'm trying to play robot chicken season five, and my ps3 wont read the bluray. Fast five, I have to mess with it to get it to play. I cleaned out my vents with canned air, and vacummed them. I must say it runs quieter now, but it wont recognize robot chicken. This isnt the first time I'v had problems with it. It gave me hell trying to play Evangelion 2.22. I have a fat 120gb model. Does anybody know of any fix for this? Am I the only one having this prob with certain blurays?It's just limited to bluray movies. Games,and cds and psone games work fine. Just certain Bluray movies. :unsure:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Obvious question, but is your firmware up to date? And do you have any read problems playing games/DVD's?

Yes, and it plays games and cds with no problems. Just certain bluray movies. I also notice that when I play downloaded, or go on netflix, the ps3 will get stuck on the black load screen. Other then that, it works normal.

Man. Does anybody have the same problem with there ps3 that I have? Some blu ray movies play fine, case in point. I just played sayanora no tsubasa fine. The crow, excellent. But now I'm trying to play robot chicken season five, and my ps3 wont read the bluray. Fast five, I have to mess with it to get it to play. I cleaned out my vents with canned air, and vacummed them. I must say it runs quieter now, but it wont recognize robot chicken. This isnt the first time I'v had problems with it. It gave me hell trying to play Evangelion 2.22. I have a fat 120gb model. Does anybody know of any fix for this? Am I the only one having this prob with certain blurays?It's just limited to bluray movies. Games,and cds and psone games work fine. Just certain Bluray movies. :unsure:

On my PS3 the system will freeze at the same spot on any blu ray from 2011. For example, Inception was the last blu-ray I bought in 2010 (I think), and it plays through no problem; all older blu ray's and standard dvd's also play with no issue. However, when it comes to blu rays like Fast 5, Thor, Bridesmaids, Lion King, or any blu ray's released in 2011 my system will freeze at the same spot in the movie during playback. From what I've read my optical drive could be going out, but you're the first person I've talked to that's had playback issues with only certain blu ray's. My system's clean, updated and is on for the better part of half a day. I couldn't begin to guess what the issue is. I plan to take it to a local repair shop and pay the $150 or so fee because replacing my fat system is not an option. Keep us updated...

On my PS3 the system will freeze at the same spot on any blu ray from 2011. For example, Inception was the last blu-ray I bought in 2010 (I think), and it plays through no problem; all older blu ray's and standard dvd's also play with no issue. However, when it comes to blu rays like Fast 5, Thor, Bridesmaids, Lion King, or any blu ray's released in 2011 my system will freeze at the same spot in the movie during playback. From what I've read my optical drive could be going out, but you're the first person I've talked to that's had playback issues with only certain blu ray's. My system's clean, updated and is on for the better part of half a day. I couldn't begin to guess what the issue is. I plan to take it to a local repair shop and pay the $150 or so fee because replacing my fat system is not an option. Keep us updated...

Well it's decided to play nice for now. Since it's reading Robot chicken now. So maybe cleaning it helped. But I'm thinking of buying a new slim and transfering everything over. The thing is, my fatty is not that old. And it's only issue is with certain blurays. I just dont know if the lasers going out, or maybe its the blurays. :unsure:

Only thing I can suggest is first delete all your saved bluray data, and then try defragging your system.

I deleted all the bluray data in the folder, how do I defrag my system? System restore? Or do I have to re-format my HD?

Hmm...Just google'd that and learned about the folder. I wonder if this online stuff could be interfering with the movies. I've noticed that newer blu's, including Fast 5, Thor, etc. seem to tout online interactivity during playback...

Hmm...Just google'd that and learned about the folder. I wonder if this online stuff could be interfering with the movies. I've noticed that newer blu's, including Fast 5, Thor, etc. seem to tout online interactivity during playback...

While after I deleted it, I switched over in my settings, to have my PS3 ask if I want to allow online connectivity.

There should be two data folders in the video tab, one saves BDLive & bookmark stuff, the other has who know's what in it. I'd clear out both. As for defragmenting your HDD, you have to go into diagnostic mode in order to do this. Be careful. do "not" choose the option to reformat your HDD.

Wow, that dude needs to dust...everything!

There should be two data folders in the video tab, one saves BDLive & bookmark stuff, the other has who know's what in it. I'd clear out both. As for defragmenting your HDD, you have to go into diagnostic mode in order to do this. Be careful. do "not" choose the option to reformat your HDD.

Wow, that dude needs to dust...everything!

Well I'll do that on saturday night, since I'am off work on sunday, and I have a 500gb hd in my system with only 29 gb free space space. Sooooo....I think it's going to be a all-nighter.

I'm surprised that this defrag thing doesn't come up more often. Does Sony not think that this is an important maintenance procedure?