The PS3 thread

Gaijin

Thanks again for the info, I'm now watching my first ever blu-ray disc on my PS3!!!!! :)

Lol, what took you so long? Hope you have the display to take advantage of it.

Update early, update often!

Yeah, I'm hoping that'll take care of a freezing issue I'm encountering with new blu-rays...

Edit: Just for the hell of it I took out my brand new Thor blu ray, wiped it down with a microfiber and after a couple of plays there's no freezing. I find it hard to believe that a brand new disc needed to be cleaned. I would think there's an issue with the lens itself, although everything I've read online says that the lens NEVER needs to be and shouldn't be cleaned. What do you guys say?

Edited by myk

Edit: Just for the hell of it I took out my brand new Thor blu ray, wiped it down with a microfiber and after a couple of plays there's no freezing. I find it hard to believe that a brand new disc needed to be cleaned. I would think there's an issue with the lens itself, although everything I've read online says that the lens NEVER needs to be and shouldn't be cleaned. What do you guys say?

What does the manufacturer say?

Read you shouldn't use the bush base lens cleaner.

Update early, update often!

That reminds me I need to get the latest updates.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Lol, what took you so long? Hope you have the display to take advantage of it.

Yeah, I'm hoping that'll take care of a freezing issue I'm encountering with new blu-rays...

Canned air is your friend, as is vacuming out the vents every sooner than later.

A fun multiplayer game that I have enjoyed very much and so has my son is Warhammer 40k Kill Team. It is a fun game to play with kids and it is only rated "T", so you don't have to worry about too much blood and gore, and it is just plain fun to play. Really enjoying Warhammer 40K Space Marine too!

Twich

How are you posting here on MW? Hook your PS3 up to that. My PS3 is off-line 99% of the time. I just disconnect my cable modem from my PC every once in a while to hook up my PS3 and update it.

Anyways---Blu-Ray's standards are constantly evolving. Same as any other software. As Thor is brand-spanking-new, it probably requires the very latest standard/software--which you'll have to download. Even if you bought a top-of-the-line brand-new standalone Blu-Ray player 3 months ago in a store--it too could need to be upgraded to play Thor. It's not a PS3 issue. It's a Blu-Ray issue.

Or invest in a quality wireless router. The PS3 does have a Wi-Fi antenna.

Unfortunately the PS3 isn't wireless-N yet, so I'd recommend an N-wireless bridge over using the 802.11g. Dual band N roxors.

Are you sure cause I only use N routers and have had no issues.

Edit:

Nevermind.

Edited by kanedaestes

Unfortunately the PS3 isn't wireless-N yet, so I'd recommend an N-wireless bridge over using the 802.11g. Dual band N roxors.

How fast is your ISP that it even makes a difference?

On a good day, I got 17Mbps with Comcast. Since I moved, my internet seems a bit crappier. 802.11g is rated for 54Mbps. Unless you've got several wifi devices talking to your router simultaneously, range is going to be more of a benefit with 802.11n than speed.

How fast is your ISP that it even makes a difference?

On a good day, I got 17Mbps with Comcast. Since I moved, my internet seems a bit crappier. 802.11g is rated for 54Mbps. Unless you've got several wifi devices talking to your router simultaneously, range is going to be more of a benefit with 802.11n than speed.

QFT

Who said anything about the ISP? Can you say high def LAN streaming from a media server? Note that theory WRT max on g-band is never close to it's max efficiency. When Verizon offers it here, I am intending to go to 100Mbps, though... ;)

Range, signal strength, frequency... agility... mo betta.

Edited by Uxi

Who said anything about the ISP? Can you say high def LAN streaming from a media server? Note that theory WRT max on g-band is never close to it's max efficiency. When Verizon offers it here, I am intending to go to 100Mbps, though... ;)

Range, signal strength, frequency... agility... mo betta.

5ghz N does not have the same range as 2.4ghz

No, but you get to choose what's best for you depending how much interference and/or other WAP's there are and what other devices you have. Not wanting to run in mixed mode was another reason to do a wireless bridge.

guess what? all the PS3 games i have so far;

* Atelier Rorona

* Atelier Totori

* Ar Tonelico III (Quga)

* METAL GEAR SOLID IV

* Record of ARGAREST War ZERO

* Trinity Universe

and the only one that i have truly, actively ENJOYED so far?

"Tri Uni" (Trinity Universe)

all the others (with the exception of MGS4) seem so vapid and poorly made.

MGS4 is a solid game overall, but is also SO downbeat and depressing that it that it get's hard to stomach real fast.

"Tri Uni" is the only one so far to actually have halfway inspired and entertaining scriptwriting 1/4th of the time.

the on-screen chara art for the girls all have such adorable and luscious little faces, too.

chara design on the whole is quite nice, IMHO. not the best i've ever seen, hardly what i'd consider unappealing.

gameplay is merely OKAY, though. NOTHING special...

Ehhh, it's just all so disappointing to me that my first few PS3 titles are all so generally underwhelming.

so much so, on a personal level, that even an occasionally inspired underachiever such as "Tri Uni"

manages to come out on top, even with the presence in my library of a much lauded instant classic such as MGS 4.

i'll tell you one thing; i definitely recall being WAY more "Wowed" by my first few PS2 titles nearly ten years ago...

box-usfront.jpg

art-008.jpg

art-010.jpg

art-009.jpg

art-003.jpg

art-006.jpg

307635trinity-universe-per-ps3nozbr_jpg_640x360_upscale_q85.jpg

ss-040.jpg

ss-044.jpg

ss-041.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

You need to sample more games. I haven't been into gaming for a long time so I can't recommend anything, but the the PS3's library is enormous and I'm sure you could find enough quality titles to impress you...

How do I put this nicely....your selection of games sucks!!!!

Seriously though, you are buying some very poor games when the console has so much to offer. Branch out from the niche jrpg games and you can find some truly great games.

don't like FPSes, don't like SPORTS titles, now what exactly does that leave me with in this day and age?

^Platformers! And Racers! You should try games like Uncharted and Gran Turismo. They may not be all anime'd up, but they are some pretty breathtaking games. If RPGs are your thing, you should even try Oblivion and its follow - up coming out, Skyrim.

There is a lot offered!

don't like FPSes, don't like SPORTS titles, now what exactly does that leave me with in this day and age?

Western RPGs, which have left their Japanese kindred by the wayside.

Fallout 3, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc.

And if all of those recommendations aren't enough to inspire you Shaorin maybe, like me, you're just not into gaming anymore. But that's ok, because the PS3 does all sorts of other stuff too...

That video was absolutely awesome, I am glad to see that they have investing in good cosplayers/actors/actresses to make the characters come to life. Just a few comments....

Did they intentionally make Kratos as tall as a Space Marine because Spartans are larger than life, or because he is the God of War?

Was that actually David Hayter who played Old Snake? I know it was his voice, but it is hard to tell...would be cool if it was!

Now were the 2 army people referencing Call of Duty or Resistance?

Sackboy? My son would crap himself if he saw that!

Loved that they included Nathan Drake from Uncharted and Lightning from Final Fantasy 13

I hope that they do more commercials with the same characters and I actually get to see them on live TV

Twich

Edited by twich

That video was absolutely awesome, I am glad to see that they have investing in good cosplayers/actors/actresses to make the characters come to life. Just a few comments....

Did they intentionally make Kratos as tall as a Space Marine because Spartans are larger than life, or because he is the God of War?

Was that actually David Hayter who played Old Snake? I know it was his voice, but it is hard to tell...would be cool if it was!

Now were the 2 army people referencing Call of Duty or Resistance?

Sackboy? My son would crap himself if he saw that!

Loved that they included Nathan Drake from Uncharted and Lightning from Final Fantasy 13

Resistance

Rpg's have been slowly dying off.

Reason? The don't make as much money.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

@shaorin I think you'd enjoy Valkyria chronicles. It's really good. You might also want to try the Catherine demo to see if it's your liking. Heavy Rain is also widely lauded but like Catherine it's a love or hate kinda game

Anyone bought the playstation wireless 7.1 headset? Seems to be getting good reviews for the price us99

I don't like FPS's or racers either but there are still great games out there. The uncharted games, Batman, Yakuza 3 and 4, The ICO/SOTC collection.

And if you just want to run around and blow stuff up you need to play Just cause 2. And don't forget that psn has a lot of good games too.

Most of the games you names received poor reviews for good reason. Personally I always try to play games that try new things, it keeps things from getting boring.

Valkyria_Chronicles-014.jpg

Valkyria Chronicles of course!

- Huge cast of characters that will make any RPG jealous

- CANVAS graphics engine is just absolutely beautiful

- Epic story with a few WTF twists & moments

- Blends RTS, and turn based strategy with some limited runnin n' gunnin beautifully.

It is the forgotten killer app of the PS3. Too bad they made all the sequels on PSP >_< .

The anime adaptation was really subpar though, did not do the game justice.

Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Batman Arkham Asylum, SSFIV:AE, Bayonetta, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, SW The Force Unleashed, Katamari, and as mentioned Valkyrie Chronicles. There are "many" games to choose from.