The PS3 thread

Gaijin

Is there an easy way to convert MKV's (say, those with subtitles...) to MPG? Last time I tried it, it took forever and a lot of work----most programs won't keep the subtitles. But it's been a good number of months since then.

I use mkv2vob and yeah its not that fast but it will hardsub the file from the subtitle file if you select the option. The video and audio is almost identical to the original mkv I think.

I just use medialink and stream it from my laptop. Anything that plays on it will play on my PS3, keeps me from having to convert all my files.

yeah I tried using PS3 media server but even hard networked my low spec laptop had real trouble serving up mkvs smoothly, in face anything 720 and over.

http://www.gamespot....topslot;title;1

Ace Combat Assault Horizon trailer.

This makes me sad.

I like the idea of interactive exploding scenery, but if that's indeed burnout style slow-mo enemy explosions, then I hope you can turn that sh!t off. I don't want to wait for sh!t to explode and slow down my action damnit!! Also, hopefully those tailgunning sections will be minimal, or some kind of multiplayer only option.

Edited by Keith

Wow, i just had a big scare.

So i wanted to play some MGS3, so i put the disc in. After a little bit of playing i decided i was done for the day, but when i tried to eject the disc it wouldn't come out. but the worst part was a nasty clicking noise when the disc was trying to come out.

Thankfully it eventually came out fine after holding the eject button for a while. But, that gave me one hell of a fright. I have the old big and heavy PS3 which is now out of the warranty and i did not want to spend money to get it repaired. Anyway i hope that doesn't happen again.

Is there an easy way to convert MKV's (say, those with subtitles...) to MPG? Last time I tried it, it took forever and a lot of work----most programs won't keep the subtitles. But it's been a good number of months since then.

Use MKV2VOB under these configuration settings:

- Prefered Subtile Language:

English

- Transcoding Codec:

Mpeg-2 Fast

- Output File Extension:

Auto (MPG is done by default)

- Also put a check by "Large Subtitles" otherwise they will be too small to see on your TV screen.

have you tried GOTsent?

Edited by Vegas

I just realised my OGMs (including Orguss and Orange Road) havent converted over with subtitles intact. I used something called `OGM to AVI` converter but no subs option. MKV2VOB doesnt convert OGM...any other options?

OGM is just another container like MKV or AVI. Just use OGM cleaver to unpackage all video&audio streams, subtitles, chapters etc included then use MKVmergeGUI to repackage everything into an MKV container for MKV2VOB.

Edited by Freiflug88

yeah I tried using PS3 media server but even hard networked my low spec laptop had real trouble serving up mkvs smoothly, in face anything 720 and over.

Medialink is a third party software you can get for $20. It will basically allow the PS3 to read everything on your computer wirelessly. And if it can be played on your laptop using codecs or as i use VLC, it will play seemlessly on the PS3. I haven't convereted any MKVs or OGMs yet they play well on my PS3, the only real issues is that you may need to limit your computer use while streaming so not to interrupt the wireless signal.

That's awesome! But, how are they gonna deal with what folks who haven't played part one will miss since Mass Effect isn't on PS3?

when you start a new character there's a menu screen where you can select which choice you want for the main plot points. Everything important is covered but you'll miss out on some of the minor stuff.

edit:

It's awesome that the PS3 is finally getting a proper RPG game. ^_^

Edited by eugimon

when you start a new character there's a menu screen where you can select which choice you want for the main plot points. Everything important is covered but you'll miss out on some of the minor stuff.

edit:

It's awesome that the PS3 is finally getting a proper RPG game. ^_^

Gonna have to get this then, heard too many good things when it came out on 360 to pass it up now.

Gonna have to get this then, heard too many good things when it came out on 360 to pass it up now.

Good! It's a great game. I think it's great that it's coming to the PS3. Just keep in mind, it's sort of a deconstructionist take on RPG's. Some people just can't get over that and need to have their D&D character sheet and page after page of inventory management.

The problem isn't going to be for PS3 ME2 players---it's for 360/PC ME1 players. Because unless ME3 has 2 quite different versions for the PS3 and 360, that means most anything you did in ME1, isn't/can't have a very big effect on ME3, as the PS3 players wouldn't have seen it.

Yes, saving/killing the council will be there, as will presumably Anderson vs Udina (though that actually had little effect in ME2), but what about Wrex? He's canonically dead. Liara being the love interest? Heck, Kaiden and Ashley in any aspect. Rachni queen. Lots of things that should have a fairly major long-term impact in ME3, will have to be "glossed over" to accomodate the PS3 "haven't played ME1 and can't import" aspect. That, or have a whole lot of dialogue/sidequests/endings in ME3 that the PS3 version simply can't access.

The Mass Effect 2 business reminds me of the Shenmue II fiasco for the X box.

Like with Dead Rising 2, I have some problems with getting to play only the sequel, especially when it's an RPG with a lot to keep track of. Though, with Dead Rising, the story isn't that complicated, it's just a good zombie killing game that you don't need to immerse yourself in.

Edited by Einherjar

I have Mass Effect 2 for the PC, never played the first one, and honestly, the canon story is pretty set in stone, according to what the characters say in the game.

The quickest & easiest solution is simple, provide some sort of Mass Effect 1 movie. Given the short timeframe from now to release, a traditionally animated feature is out of the question, but assuming the in game models are good enough, using them to do a feature length recap shouldn't be a problem at all. Something that would be easy enough to supply with the storage space of bluray.

Also downloaded the HAWX 2 demo today, and is it just me, or are the controls even looser than the first game.

Edited by Keith

The quickest & easiest solution is simple, provide some sort of Mass Effect 1 movie. Given the short timeframe from now to release, a traditionally animated feature is out of the question, but assuming the in game models are good enough, using them to do a feature length recap shouldn't be a problem at all. Something that would be easy enough to supply with the storage space of bluray.

Also downloaded the HAWX 2 demo today, and is it just me, or are the controls even looser than the first game.

they said they're including some sort of playable, condensed recap of ME1 for the PS3 version of ME2.

Scott Pilgrim on PS3 is so much fun multiplayer... get some friends together and its all "blam!" instant fun. It is so old school it makes me wish I had more quarters for it.

I noticed that too, I figured it was just me. I didn't check to see if we can tighten up the controls.

I just hope it's some demo glitch. Bad voice acting I can deal with, but a high end fighter plane that drift's for no damn reason is unacceptable. Although it does seem they're aware, since they were emphasizing the yaw controls. But really...

Edited by Keith

Anyone get Top Gun? Interested in the multi-player and general arcade feel. $15 seems kinda expensive for a PSN game... if it was $9.99 I'd probably get it without much hestitation... what's $5 more? lol.

For those who played the HAWX 2 demo, how easy/hard did you find mid-air refueling and landing? Landing was pretty straight forward but I found the refueling a pain...

Note: I'm no stranger to refueling, as I've doen it in every Ace Combat that had it but... In Hawx, I was all lined up, followed instructions given, then crashed into the refueling plane somehow, and haven't gone back to the demo since!