VF-0 toys?

one_one

I've heard rumors about Yamato doing some Macross Zero stuff...at least I think they were rumors. Maybe not. From Graham's latest newsletter dated 01/09/03:

3. Update: Yamato also confirmed they have talked with Big West showing interest that they would like to make transforming 1/60 scale Macross Zero toys(nothing has been set in stone yet as I incorrectly reported before). It's not clear yet how many variants they will make of the two main mecha, but there could possibly be four releases altogether which would be: -

·        VF-0 Focker type.

·      VF-0 Shin Kudo type.

·        SV-51 Nora Polyansky type

·        SV-51 standard type.

4.  The big news is that Nishikawa-san (the sculptor of the 1/48 VF-1) will not be sculpting the Macross Zero toys due to other commitments. Instead, Yamato have hired a new sculptor, who is actually one of the sculptors that Bandai uses for their Master Grade models, so he comes to the project with a good pedigree.

5.      Sculpting has just started on the VF-0 and the initial; prototype sculpt is expected to be ready about two months later. Yamato will also be using CAD-CAM design in the production of the Macross Zero Toys. Expect at least 6-8 months from now before the release of the VF-0. Sculpting has not started yet on the SV-51, but should begin within the next few months.

6.      Oh, and the Macross Zero toys will feature perfect transformation without having to remove the legs!

I've heard rumors about Yamato doing some Macross Zero stuff...at least I think they were rumors. Maybe not. From Graham's latest newsletter dated 01/09/03:
3. Update: Yamato also confirmed they have talked with Big West showing interest that they would like to make transforming 1/60 scale Macross Zero toys(nothing has been set in stone yet as I incorrectly reported before). It's not clear yet how many variants they will make of the two main mecha, but there could possibly be four releases altogether which would be: -

·        VF-0 Focker type.

·       VF-0 Shin Kudo type.

·        SV-51 Nora Polyansky type

·        SV-51 standard type.

4.   The big news is that Nishikawa-san (the sculptor of the 1/48 VF-1) will not be sculpting the Macross Zero toys due to other commitments. Instead, Yamato have hired a new sculptor, who is actually one of the sculptors that Bandai uses for their Master Grade models, so he comes to the project with a good pedigree.

5.      Sculpting has just started on the VF-0 and the initial; prototype sculpt is expected to be ready about two months later. Yamato will also be using CAD-CAM design in the production of the Macross Zero Toys. Expect at least 6-8 months from now before the release of the VF-0. Sculpting has not started yet on the SV-51, but should begin within the next few months.

6.      Oh, and the Macross Zero toys will feature perfect transformation without having to remove the legs!

Yeah , and that was like what ? 10 months ago ? I hope Yamato hasn´t encountered any problem since then (like Bandai wanting to milk the newer series or feasibility of the design ) and that they´re investing important working hours to improve this toy because they´re really overdue.

I hope Yamato is clear about their plans for their M0 license cause I wouldn´t want to find out later on that they plan on releasing a Perfect version (ala 1/60 and 1/48), I´m not against the idea of having the defeinitive VF-0 toy , on the contrary , I would like to know their plans from the beggining so to invest in the perfect versions and pass on the crappy ones. If they release the perfect version from the beginning though (it doesn´t have to be 1/48 guys , keep in mind the VF-0 is larger than the M+ valks)then BRING THEM ON !!! But if they don´t , then that´s another year of waiting for me.

the VF-0 was made before the VF-1 in the Macross timeline right?

My question then is why does the fuselage look more modern on the VF-0 than on the VF-1? It appears more like a M+ nose cone... :unsure:

I do hope the toys get made though..

My question then is why does the fuselage look more modern on the VF-0 than on the VF-1? It appears more like a M+ nose cone... :unsure:

Because Kawamori wanted to make this Macross series look like modern aircraft instead of 80s looking aircraft (you know , the VF-1 is from those times ). The flight suits are more realistic so the aircraft followed this trend , hence the ¨modern look¨.

yep I know what you mean. I know that the VF-1 is the most loved valk but personaly to me the VF-0 looks much better than the VF-1. As somone said it's just that it was designed 20 years later.

For the same reason targeting computers looked like liquid plasma in the Star Wars Prequels and like Pong in the orginal trilogy. :lol:

My question then is why does the fuselage look more modern on the VF-0 than on the VF-1? It appears more like a M+ nose cone...  :unsure:

that's exactly what i was thinking.

the answer is : because it was engineered a few years ago i guess !

VF1 is from early 80's (i mean the first drawings - not the "macross timeline")

what's next? VF "-1" ?

Edited by Göönk

Yeah, the whole "VF-0" designation is kind of irksome for me. Kawamori-San usually sticks pretty close to reality in a lot of ways, but I've never known any aircraft to be designated as a A/B/C/D/E/F/H-0. Under the current U.S. system of aircraft designation, it always starts with 1 through whatever. I guess if I'm gonna point that kind of thing out, I should also mention that "V" stands for vertical take-off/landing (and not variable) in the current U.S. aircraft designation system (AV-8 Harrier, V-22 Osprey), but that's never bothered me. :rolleyes:

It's a nitpicky issue, so I don't dwell on it too much, but it's just an obvious reminder that they didn't plan for Macross Zero in the 80s, they just stuck it in because prequels are cool now. I like the show so far though, so I won't complain.

Edited by Draykov

Yeah, the whole "VF-0" designation is kind of irksome for me. Kawamori-San usually sticks pretty close to reality in a lot of ways, but I've never known any aircraft to be designated as a A/B/C/D/E/F/H-0. Under the current U.S. system of aircraft designation, it always starts with 1 through whatever. I guess if I'm gonna point that kind of thing out, I should also mention that "V" stands for vertical take-off/landing (and not variable) in the current U.S. aircraft designation system (AV-8 Harrier, V-22 Osprey), but that's never bothered me. :rolleyes:

It's a nitpicky issue, so I don't dwell on it too much, but it's just an obvious reminder that they didn't plan for Macross Zero in the 80s, they just stuck it in because prequels are cool now. I like the show so far though, so I won't complain.

Well, if we wanted to get picky (and geeky)...

I only saw the first episode of Macross Zero once, and it was several months ago, but I belive there is a bit in there where the scientist talks about how they were unable to manufacture the VF as planned. They had wanted to include the nuclear power plant, etc. So I suppose that, knowing the aircraft in question was an intermediate step to their desired design, they would give it the VF-0 designation, with the intent that VF-1 would represent the final (or "1.0") product.

it's a nitpicky issue, so I don't dwell on it too much, but it's just an obvious reminder that they didn't plan for Macross Zero in the 80s, they just stuck it in because prequels are cool now. I like the show so far though, so I won't complain

I thought Kawamori had planned M0 long before Lukas ever came out with all the prequel trend. It wouldn´t suprise me at all since he planned M+ years before it came out ( 1985 to be precise , from the advanced valkyrie series ).

We haven´t seen the VF-1 in M0 yet , so we don´t really know how it will look like by today standards (we just know how the VF-1 looks from 20 years ago). the only explanation within the Macross universe I could find is that the VF-1 is a mass production aircraft while the 0 is a limited release experimental aircraft (like the US and british X-35 variants).

it's a nitpicky issue, so I don't dwell on it too much, but it's just an obvious reminder that they didn't plan for Macross Zero in the 80s, they just stuck it in because prequels are cool now. I like the show so far though, so I won't complain

I thought Kawamori had planned M0 long before Lukas ever came out with all the prequel trend. It wouldn´t suprise me at all since he planned M+ years before it came out ( 1985 to be precise , from the advanced valkyrie series ).

We haven´t seen the VF-1 in M0 yet , so we don´t really know how it will look like by today standards (we just know how the VF-1 looks from 20 years ago). the only explanation within the Macross universe I could find is that the VF-1 is a mass production aircraft while the 0 is a limited release experimental aircraft (like the US and british X-35 variants).

it's actually a little more than that, not only was the VF-0 a limited produtcion aircraft, but we can already speculate that the VF-0 was never planned from the start, as it seems from what we saw until now, the VF-0 was a rushed VF-1 with conventionnal engines because of the delays in the thermo nuclear engines... In other words, it's a big VF-1 that was made because they didn't had any other alternatives, thus the designation 0, a pre-release of the VF-1 that wasen't finished in time.

Yeah, the whole "VF-0" designation is kind of irksome for me. Kawamori-San usually sticks pretty close to reality in a lot of ways, but I've never known any aircraft to be designated as a A/B/C/D/E/F/H-0.

Actually, there is one... Mitsubishis Model A6M is much better known as the "Rei-Sen", or "Year 00 model", or simply "Zero"... B))

Probably not coincidentally, it was also the most well known Japanese aircraft of World War II. There have been a lot of Zeroes in anime before, including Evangelion and Gundam Wing...

Actually, I think the common belief is that the VF-1 is already in production at the point that Mac Zero takes place, but it is mainly being produced for the UN Spacy.

The VF-0 is the test bed for the next generation of variable fighters, sort of like project supernova, but 40 years earlier.

As to what someone said about the VF-0 being larger than the Mac Plus valks, is there a canon source for that?. I haven't seen any dimensions on the VF-0 yet, but I would strongly doubt that it is larger than the YF-19 or YF-21. Remember that in Mac Plus, we see Isamu's YF-19 holding up a VF-1S like a dummy in front of it, as a shield, and it is quite a bit smaller than the YF-19.

I thought that the offical standing was the 0 was produced to test new items, while the 1 was the combat version. The 0 was suppose to have the nuke engines the whole time, it was just that the UN needed something to go against the 51 and the 0 was all they had.

yep , that´s the general consent here , or at least what the majority believes (me included).

The 0 designation may be just becuase the VF-0 wasn´t supposed to be released (in fact it wasn´t supposed to be released in any form , is just a testbed ) before the VF-1 , hence they named it Zero , otherwise they would´ve had to change the VF-1 designation to something like VF-2 , and since SDF macross was released first and we all already know the VF-1 as VF-1 , it would be stupid to do such thing , so they just named it VF-0.

Actually, I think the common belief is that the VF-1 is already in production at the point that Mac Zero takes place, but it is mainly being produced for the UN Spacy.

The VF-0 is the test bed for the next generation of variable fighters, sort of like project supernova, but 40 years earlier.

As to what someone said about the VF-0 being larger than the Mac Plus valks, is there a canon source for that?. I haven't seen any dimensions on the VF-0 yet, but I would strongly doubt that it is larger than the YF-19 or YF-21. Remember that in Mac Plus, we see Isamu's YF-19 holding up a VF-1S like a dummy in front of it, as a shield, and it is quite a bit smaller than the YF-19.

Yes , the VF-1 was already in production during M0 events , mass production begins on November 2007 , while M0 events are set on September 2008 onwards (until SW1).

I also think of it as similar to the SuperNova project :)

yeah , as unbelievable as it is the VF-0 is even larger than the supernova AVFs -the YF-21 is just a meter larger than the VF-0 -. (hate to quote the compendium but here I go <_< ) :

YF-19

Fighter mode:

Length overall: 18.62 m

VF-0

Fighter mode:

Length overall: 18.69 m

Yes , the VF-1 was already in production during M0 events , mass production begins on November 2007 , while M0 events are set on September 2008 onwards (until SW1).

so, there is a chance we see a VF1 in the M0 ep.3 ? (I haven't seen any M0 ep yet. Going to buy the DVDs swhen the three are availlable.)

So, about toys : there is two VF1 versions :

- TV series

- DYRL

- maybe a M0 version? If yes, it should be a VF0 (<- lol) 1/48 as well?

I just wonder how technically, for a toy, they will do for the length of the nose. have you seen this nose? Bloody long. Good luck !

so, there is a chance we see a VF1 in the M0 ep.3 ? (I haven't seen any M0 ep yet. Going to buy the DVDs swhen the three are availlable.)

I think we should take the low viz 1/48 as a hint...

Look at the navy color scheme (more or less) and the Mac Zero flight suit on the pilot. I would be willing to be we will see a low viz in the series before long.

If Yamato did the Macplus and Maczero stuff in 1/60 scale, they would be around the same size as the 1/48 Vf-1s. So that goes to show, 1/48 doesn't work all the time.

the VF1 1/48 is already huge. Why new aircraft are huge? Oh, now, i forgot, the VF0 is not "new".

One more time, we see clearly that this VF0 wasn't designed at the same time than the VF1...

I think Hasegawa 's model is 1/72. It looks good and details are good.

So, VF0 1/60 toy and VF0D as well? What size would it be in 1/60?

So, about toys : there is two VF1 versions :

- TV series

- DYRL

- maybe a M0 version? If yes, it should be a VF0 (<- lol) 1/48 as well?

I just wonder how technically, for a toy, they will do for the length of the nose. have you seen this nose? Bloody long. Good luck !

Yes , it is fairly possible that we´ll see the VF-1 by the end of this 5 epsiode OVA series . If we do see the VF-1 I doubt we´ll see the same VF-1 we are used to (they changed the design a bit for DYRL , why wouldn´t they chage it for M0 ?).

I´m hoping they go with 1/60 for the M0 toys as the perfect edition toy (ala 1/48) , in addition to a 1/72 mass production toy line. If they just release one line though I would want it to be 1/60.