Character Art Appreciation Thread III

Vepariga

So I used to get a lot of wallpaper material from Mecha Image of the Day web site. But it's no longer being updated. Where do you get your mecha (and mecha-related) wallpaper fix?

Don't tell me about Facebook, I hate their algorithm. (And I also don't have Instagram.) So maybe Twitter or other forums/sites will do. TIA! :)

On 6/16/2021 at 10:36 PM, hachi said:

So I used to get a lot of wallpaper material from Mecha Image of the Day web site. But it's no longer being updated. Where do you get your mecha (and mecha-related) wallpaper fix?

Don't tell me about Facebook, I hate their algorithm. (And I also don't have Instagram.) So maybe Twitter or other forums/sites will do. TIA! :)

Danbooru is still pretty active.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

AI rendered key scenes from DYRL. :wub: 

That's really far out! I wonder what Kawamori and co think of this.

There's more and more AI content every day. Getting ready crazy, really fast..!

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

That's really far out! I wonder what Kawamori and co think of this.

There's more and more AI content every day. Getting ready crazy, really fast..!

And the death of traditional art.

My current level of depression just hit a new all-time low. :(

Perhaps it could be used for pre-viz vs applied to an actual piece.
All those images in the video still needed the original art to work from
So maybe someone could rough sketch something, and this could fill out the gaps...sort of like the McQuarrie Star Wars works in the 70s'.

I think it is 'pretty neat' seeing it applied to Macross, but I've not gone through the entire thought process on what it means to people's careers.
It is still in the interesting stage for me, but I reserve the right to change my mind later on if it turns out to be super evil! 😛

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, lochness said:

For AI to work properly you need the “client” to know exactly what they want. For anyone who’s ever worked with clients before, you’ll know your job is safe. 😊

Give that 3-6 months and let's see if that's still true then...

I think folks here are really underestimating how fast this tech is developing; anyone who has experience with innovations in just pc tech alone knows how fast things move in the field.

Anyways, it doesn't matter what happens from this point out; my career in art died as far as I'm concerned. AI is just the wake for everyone else's.

I'm done in this thread.

*pulls ejection handle*

-Pengbuzz out.

Edited by pengbuzz

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 6:06 AM, no3Ljm said:

AI rendered key scenes from DYRL. :wub: 

*insert AI mind blown gif here*

instant visual storyboard for a studio to do a live action movie. done.

JAPAN do this in live action like the shin kamen rider...shoji kawamori + hideaki anno team up again!?!  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 7:49 AM, pengbuzz said:

Give that 3-6 months and let's see if that's still true then...

I think folks here are really underestimating how fast this tech is developing; anyone who has experience with innovations in just pc tech alone knows how fast things move in the field.

I've been in computer programming for decades now, every few years a new "coderless" scheme comes along and it never works.  The reason is that a coder does not just write code, a coder (if they are worth anything) knows how to figure out exactly what needs to be asked to get the solution the client wants.  The same is true for this technology, so far it has rendered very nice adaptations of things people have already done but nothing new.

3 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I've been in computer programming for decades now, every few years a new "coderless" scheme comes along and it never works.  The reason is that a coder does not just write code, a coder (if they are worth anything) knows how to figure out exactly what needs to be asked to get the solution the client wants.  The same is true for this technology, so far it has rendered very nice adaptations of things people have already done but nothing new.

Yup... the news is absolutely full of stories of companies that thought ChatGPT and similar bots were going to replace call center workers and software engineers and artists and so on backpedaling hard when they realize that those generative AIs are little different to training a parrot to mimic speech.  It doesn't actually understand, it just strings together words or patterns that are adjacent to the prompt until it gets something that sounds plausible.  Like a student disguising plagiarism by exchanging every word in a sentance for a synonym.

(That and generative AI art can't be copyrighted currently, so it can't really be commercialized.)