The Macross Quarter. DX Chogokin

ntsan

I love cap ships too. I really want Bandai to make Battle Frontier and/or Battle Galaxy. Those two ships looked pretty awesome and their carrier modes really look like carriers. Sort of like a further development of the Uraga class carriers (another design I like) and made transformable. I know there was some mention that a person at Yamato was tossing around the Battle 7 idea, but I really don't like that particular ship with its yellow, blue, white and red primary colors and that it looks like it has a big red "M" on its chest area. It just looks too corny.

Going back to the Quarter, I was bored and decided to start drawing panel lines on the Quarter because it has such large open areas of no details or anything. It just looked so bland like that. I practiced on the flight deck. This is how it came out using a pencil.

post-10222-0-11132800-1352091932_thumb.jpg

Trying to decide now if I should continue with this or abandon the idea.

Trying to decide now if I should continue with this or abandon the idea.

Do you have a before pic for comparison? One thing I have learned so far is if the Junkie is doing it, it's gonna look great.

Edited by Benson13

Well, I decided I would attempt to do this on the rest of the MQ. I had been thinking about doing it for a while since the images of the Quarter on the Macross Mecha Manual site, as well as the anime itself, showed similar panel lines in some scenes.

I worked on the deck portion a bit more. I added more lines using a strip of masking tape as my guide. Then used the masking tape to fade the lines more by putting the sticky side down on top of the lines and peeling it off repeatedly. I lastly put a flat coat on it to further reduce the contrast and to remove the reflective graphite sheen that made the lines shiny in the light.

I'll do the underside of the carrier deck next, then the gunship before moving on to the Quarter itself.

I really don't know what I'm doing here, but I think the results are passable.

Here's how the deck came out (the lines might be too subtle to see well with the 800px resolution. Click on image to see larger size):

MQDeck1.jpg

MQDeck2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got some time to work on my Quarter some more. I have most of the visible surfaces done. Not my best work, but I just want to finish it up at this point because it's so tedious and difficult trying to draw lines on this, especially where there are bumps and curves on the surface. I also took a break from the paneling and painted more detail on the miniatures using some gundam markers, which feels akin to painting a 1/48 plane model with a basketball.

It seems some of the lines are a bit too subtle and hard to see under certain lighting.

Macross_Quarter_attacker_06.jpg

Macross_Quarter_attacker_07.jpg

Macross_Quarter_attacker_04.jpg

Macross_Quarter_attacker_05.jpg

Macross_Quarter_attacker_08.jpg

Macross_Quarter_attacker_09.jpg

ARMD-R:

MQ_ARMD-R.jpg

BASTER-L:

MQ_BASTER-L.jpg

Edit: Added more storm attack mode pics with a little more work done on it.

Edited by MacrossJunkie