The Underrated/Overrated SF films thread....

5 was the second best, or maybe tied for the best. But 3 was unreal awesome.

What was it about 3 that makes you put it above 5?

Just wondering.

Taksraven

On that note, why does it seem to be impossible to make a good Lovecraft-based movie? The only good ones are Reanimator and Ghostbusters, and neither of those are terribly faithful to the source material.

Well, there's the Call of Chthulhu silent film a few years back. Could use a lot more budget, but still awesome in its simplicity.

What was it about 3 that makes you put it above 5?

Just wondering.

Taksraven

Big picture:

You get to see where Vader comes from, you actually realize he never saw his actions as bad... He was selfish but trying to do the right thing.

The film alone:

The scam the emperor plays on the entire Republic. Brilliant. Learning about the Dark Side, and some completely important political/business lessons learned. The first movie that really paints a picture where all sides thinks they are the "good guys."

The rise of Vader coincides with the tanking of Hayden Christensen's "acting" career :p .

And....

DOOM (with the Rock)... underrated? What is more badass than Karl Urban ascending on an elevator after defeating the people's champ?

Edited by Ghost Train

The film alone:

The scam the emperor plays on the entire Republic. Brilliant. Learning about the Dark Side, and some completely important political/business lessons learned.

This movie was the proof of Dark Helmet's line "Evil will always triumph over good becuase good is stupid"

The prequals made the Jedi look like a bunch of stupid jerks. I find it hard to believe that it took less then 20 years for the galaxy to start wanting them back...

This movie was the proof of Dark Helmet's line "Evil will always triumph over good becuase good is stupid"

The prequals made the Jedi look like a bunch of stupid jerks. I find it hard to believe that it took less then 20 years for the galaxy to start wanting them back...

That's the part of the prequels that I love the most. Up until they came out, everyone in the fandom had elevated the Jedi to near-godlike status, and treating them as perfection incarnate. Then the PT came out and proved that the Jedi are just as fallable as everyone else, especially to things like pride, certainty, and self-delusion in their own position. After 1000 years of peace and prosperity, they'd become locked in an Ivory Tower and unable to think outside of the tiny little box they'd locked themselves into. Anyone who tried to buck the trend, like Qui-Gon, was pushed, rebuked, and pressured to fall in line with the status quo.

And yes, they were stupid jerks. Not only did they have tremendous power due to The Force, they also wielded considerable political and law enforcement power and a total lack of transparency or accountabily. Ep II pointed out that a pair of Jedi can walk into a nightclub, start a fight, and effectivly shut down any question as to their motives or activities. "Jedi business, go back to your drinks." There didn't appear to be any civilian oversight of the Jedi Order itself, and yet civilian taxes went to fund them completely; if nothing else, that alone would cause resentment.

... and I've just proven that I think about this waaay too much ^_^

That's the part of the prequels that I love the most. Up until they came out, everyone in the fandom had elevated the Jedi to near-godlike status, and treating them as perfection incarnate. Then the PT came out and proved that the Jedi are just as fallable as everyone else, especially to things like pride, certainty, and self-delusion in their own position. After 1000 years of peace and prosperity, they'd become locked in an Ivory Tower and unable to think outside of the tiny little box they'd locked themselves into. Anyone who tried to buck the trend, like Qui-Gon, was pushed, rebuked, and pressured to fall in line with the status quo.

And yes, they were stupid jerks. Not only did they have tremendous power due to The Force, they also wielded considerable political and law enforcement power and a total lack of transparency or accountabily. Ep II pointed out that a pair of Jedi can walk into a nightclub, start a fight, and effectivly shut down any question as to their motives or activities. "Jedi business, go back to your drinks." There didn't appear to be any civilian oversight of the Jedi Order itself, and yet civilian taxes went to fund them completely; if nothing else, that alone would cause resentment.

... and I've just proven that I think about this waaay too much ^_^

Nah, you've done a pretty good analysis actually. Like I've noted before though, I always got the impression from 4,5 and 6 that the Jedi were organised along much more military lines than they were in the prequel trilogy. I always thought that Kenobi and Yoda wore shabby robes due to the fact that they were trying to live incognito, I was disappointed that the dull robes were in fact, effectively the Jedi uniform.

The Jedi were so poorly organised and led in the prequel trilogy, it was hard to imagine them having any success against the Sith at all.

I still say that would have been a greater prequel trilogy, one that showed both the Jedi and the Sith at the height of their powers....

Taksraven

Thanks for that, the trailer was better than all three prequel movies combined!!!!!

Yes, and just imagine a movie that was in that setting, it would be BRILLIANT!!!!

Thanks for the link, I guess I will have to upgrade my PC to play that game!!

Taksraven