The Underrated/Overrated SF films thread....

I'm talking about the various straight to DVD movies based of the series which is also over rated.

Actually, I think the original is generally overrated as well. Same goes for Highlander (which had a vastly superior TV series based on it).

I really thought Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was underrated. It's simple 30's style pulp adventure fluff, but it does that really exceptionally well. I was able to enjoy the movie despite Jude Law, and I really don't like Jude Law.

I agree that Avatar is way overrated. It was a thoroughly mediocre movie, with some great special effects. I'm glad I saw it once, in 3D. Best 3D effects I've ever seen in a film. Will probably never go out of my way to see it again, especially without said 3D effects.

Actually, I think the original is generally overrated as well. Same goes for Highlander (which had a vastly superior TV series based on it).

it's okay. Cool concept neat ideas. I feel the series are crap and over rated (Including SGU). Highlander the series in IMO was meh. Sub-par acting, characters that were annoying , fight scenes that were sped up in places and made no sense at points.

That and Adrian Paul is a crap actor.

Overrated: The Last Samurai.

Plot summary: westerner goes to the far east, gets in a lucky hit and kills a samurai, somehow becomes leader of the clan, does the wife (implied) of the aforementioned deceased samurai, uses his armor, and survives a full frontal assault against a gattling gun.

Also replaces historically accurate French Army Officer with American, historical accuracy be dammed!

Relevance Note: Due to the above factors, the film is reclassified as science fiction / fantasy.

Edited by Ghost Train

Overrated: The Last Samurai.

Plot summary: westerner goes to the far east, gets in a lucky hit and kills a samurai, somehow becomes leader of the clan, does the wife (implied) of the aforementioned deceased samurai, uses his armor, and survives a full frontal assault against a gattling gun.

Also replaces historically accurate French Army Officer with American, historical accuracy be dammed!

Relevance Note: Due to the above factors, the film is reclassified as science fiction / fantasy.

he doesn't become the leader of the clan, he's their pet and it's made clear that he did not sleep with the wife, and he gets shot up by the Gatling which only stopped firing because the imperial army stops firing.

Also, last samurai, like Gladiator and Dances with Wolves and a host of other historical fiction, never made any airs about being historically accurate.

It's still a crap movie but you don't need to make up sh1t to sell us on the movie's crappiness.

Also, last samurai, like Gladiator and Dances with Wolves and a host of other historical fiction, never made any airs about being historically accurate.

It's still a crap movie but you don't need to make up sh1t to sell us on the movie's crappiness.

"Accurate" is such a fancy schmancy city world. I beleive that for some scottish people Braveheart is now the official documentation of events in Scotland circa 1290+ (down to the modern cars in the XIIIth century).

Great article. The stuff about the French Resistance in particular. Allied airmen who bailed out over France had a pretty good chance of being taken alive as a POW as they were uniformed combatants... it took a lot of courage to be part of the resistance as they were not not uniformed combatants and thus capture meant certain execution.

Edited by Ghost Train

Overrated:

Predator

Alien (the 1st one)

Serenity

X-men

Underrated:

Brazil

City of Lost Children

Equalibrium

Starship Troopers (only the 1st one though, the other 2 suck ass)

Hmm... Fifth element....

overrated?

underrated?

It's a charmingly bad movie. Which is to say, it's not good, but it can be fun to watch. So... fairly rated? I dunno.

Everyone that keeps saying Serenity is overrated, though, is going to get smacked.

Everyone that keeps saying Serenity is overrated, though, is going to get smacked.
LOL! Seconded!

A friend of mine was just telling me how he walked out of Serenity (theater) a mere 15 minutes in. And now this?!?

Edited by RD Blade

Hmm... Fifth element....

overrated?

underrated?

A collision of interesting ideas and great visuals looking for a decent/coherent script to hold them together. A tremendous wasted opportunity.

Taksraven

But it is. not good as everyone makes it out to be

I'm not saying that Serenity is bad, its just that when I did see it, the noise from people who did enjoy it led me to believe that it would be much better than it was. I was watching it and halfway through the penny dropped and my cry of:

"HANG ON, THIS IS BLAKE'S SEVEN!!!"

.....rang through the house.....

Taksraven

But it is. not good as everyone makes it out to be

Firefly was one of the best sci-fi shows on television in recent years. If you weren't a fan of the show (or never watched the show), then it's a good (but not life-changing) movie. If you were a fan of the show, though, it was a fantastic way of both wrapping up the TV series while setting them up for new adventures (if only in the fans' imaginations). Serenity is Firefly's swansong, and it's always going to be loved for that reason. I don't think that's overrating it; it's not like people are calling it the greatest sci-fi film ever or the Citizen Kane of a younger generation or anything.

Hmm... Fifth element....

overrated?

underrated?

A class of its own. I can't say it's underrated, coz it's not that brilliant a film to begin with. Can't say it's overrated, coz even if i love the movie, i'm nowhere near declaring it the best.scifi.ever.

Personally, I loved it. It was just so crazy it worked. And, besides, any faults of that movie are washed away by the sight of Milla Jovovich in her bandages. :)

LOL! Seconded!

A friend of mine was just telling me how he walked out of Serenity (theater) a mere 15 minutes in. And now this?!?

Serenity is one of my favorite sci films, and I love it to death. But I know for certain that i'm saying this from a Firefly fan's point of view. I can never be impartial about this movie. Maybe by itself, it's just an ok movie. But as the continuation of one of my favorite (albeit short-lived) series, it cannot be anything less than absolutely awesome. ^_^

So basically, i'm not surprised if someone didn't like it, or thinks that it's over-rated. from a neutral perspective, it probably is.

Edited by dreamweaver13

A collision of interesting ideas and great visuals looking for a decent/coherent script to hold them together. A tremendous wasted opportunity.

Taksraven

Still, a universe in which the supreme being looks like Milla Jovovich is a universe in which I want to live.

Seriously, I bought that part hook, line, and sinker. No suspension of disbelief necessary. ^_^

So basically, i'm not surprised if someone didn't like it, or thinks that it's over-rated. from a neutral perspective, it probably is.

But I don't think it's fair to judge it from a neutral perspective. Serenity is the end of Firefly; judging it without the benefit of the background that Firefly provides is like watching and critiquing the Godfather II without having see the Godfather. You're missing half the story.

But I don't think it's fair to judge it from a neutral perspective. Serenity is the end of Firefly; judging it without the benefit of the background that Firefly provides is like watching and critiquing the Godfather II without having see the Godfather. You're missing half the story.

At the same time, it's also unfair to require a viewer to watch the series first before watching the movie. or dismissing a person's opinion on the movie just because he hasn't seen the series first. Godfather I and II are a different matter - they're both movies. Somehow, you can criticize a person for watching the sequel first before the original. Would you criticize a fan of the Buffy series if he hadn't seen the movie first? (Ok, granted, i'm just trying to be funny with this example. :p)

I think a tv series and movie are still different artforms. Ultimately, Serenity was a movie, and technically, it wasn't a sequel or a prequel. Thus, I won't take it against anyone for judging it on its own merits, without the series.

At the same time, it's also unfair to require a viewer to watch the series first before watching the movie. or dismissing a person's opinion on the movie just because he hasn't seen the series first. Godfather I and II are a different matter - they're both movies. Somehow, you can criticize a person for watching the sequel first before the original. Would you criticize a fan of the Buffy series if he hadn't seen the movie first? (Ok, granted, i'm just trying to be funny with this example. :p)

I think a tv series and movie are still different artforms. Ultimately, Serenity was a movie, and technically, it wasn't a sequel or a prequel. Thus, I won't take it against anyone for judging it on its own merits, without the series.

I wouldn't criticize anyone for your Buffy example, but if someone saw, say, The End of Evangelion without without seeing the series, I'd probably dismiss their review of the movie.