The Expendables. Coming Summer 2010.

You obviously haven't seen ong bak 2 then or you're really picking and choosing which films to watch. Tony just hasn't done enough movies to say what he will or won't do, but if ong bak 2 is any indication of where he wants to go I'm more than happy to stick to Nolan and the dark knight.

There is hardly any wire work that involves tony jaa in Ong Bak 2,so little infact 'Wire-fu' shouldnt even be considered. Tony has gone out of the film scene for a while ,no one knows if he will be back at all.

Edited by Vepariga

There is hardly any wire work that involves tony jaa in Ong Bak 2,so little infact 'Wire-fu' shouldnt even be considered. Tony has gone out of the film scene for a while ,no one knows if he will be back at all.

it's not crouching tiger, but there's still wire work and some really really bad CG, along with plenty of camera tricks.

And donnie yen uses plenty of wire work, again, it's not crouching tiger but he still uses it.

My point is only that it's silly to say a movie or genre is "bad" because it uses such and such technique, the techniques are not inherently bad or good but the way it used and the competency of its utilization is what is important.

You obviously haven't seen ong bak 2 then or you're really picking and choosing which films to watch. Tony just hasn't done enough movies to say what he will or won't do, but if ong bak 2 is any indication of where he wants to go I'm more than happy to stick to Nolan and the dark knight.

This movie looks fun, I think stall ones rant about the direction action movies have taken is more about how he's getting old and irrelevant rather than a serious or meaningful critique on action films. Personally I see nothing wrong with action stars that don't look like they spend all day lifting weights and shooting up steroids.

Of course I'm picking which action films to watch! Frankly there is so much crap in the action genre being churned out globally, so much of it is not worth watching. I feel Hollywood films depend way too much on wire work and in doing so the martial arts based action films neither match or come close to films coming out of Thailand or Hong Kong. One interesting rising star IMO is Scott Adkins from Undisputed II and Undisputed III.

Completely concur a movie is not inherently bad simply b/c it is uses wire work. However I feel the over dependence of wire work to the point where the wire work IS the main action... sucks. Wouldn't you agree there must be some reason why people actually are impressed by the action sequences Tony and Donnie have created? Maybe it has something to do with the fact when Tony and Donnie kick, punch, or throw someone it really looks like it hurts? Maybe that level of realism is what some people desire? I would even go as far as saying that might be partly why the popularity of MMA has grow like wildfire, people want realistic fighting and action.

And of course I've seen Tony's other films and it is precisely b/c the action in his films are not "enhanced". As far as I am concerned the amount of films he has done is completely irrelevant; the "quality" however and high standard he sets arguably has not been met or surpassed with anything Hollywood has put out. Obviously Donnie uses limited wire work and anyone who has seen his development for the last two decades from Tiger Cage, SPL up to Ip Man knows this. The questions to ask is how and when does it use it? IMO Donnie uses wire work more often than not to enhance action rather than using it as the action. In the future Tony may incorporate wire work too, who knows. But based on how dedicated he is in showing new types of action, I for one have full faith he will keep on raising the bar. Bottom line, perhaps these guys are doing something audience actually want to see more of?

Nolan's films are great but comparing them to the type of action films Tony and Donnie create is comparing apples to oranges. Their films emphasize totally different areas of film making. I think we can all agree when people watch their films we know the action drives the story, not the other way around. Lastly for the Expendables it will be fun and I think we all know we are in for one of the biggest action packed films in a long filled with some of our favorite action heroes. This is definitely one film I am greatly looking forward to, the action alone will be great and I have full faith Sly and company made an entertaining film! Cannot wait!

Here is a new Expendables review... proceed to read at your own risk. :)

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

For me, I enjoy an action movie far more when it has an element of realism in the fight scenes, whether they be shoot outs, sword fights or unarmed combat/martial arts fights.

If an actor actual knows martial arts and/or has been trained/coached how to move/shoot/handle firearms/fight properly, and the fight is choreographed in such a way that realistic moves are used, rather than fake-ass flying through the air wire-fu, or that annoying slow-mo, then speed up crap, or the just as bad shaky camera & crap angle camera work.

Same with guns. I've been a firearms enthusiast and shooting since the mid-90s' and when I see actors that have been trained how to handle firearms correctly and use realistic and proper tactics and skills in a movie gun fight, the movie becomes so much more enjoyble for me. All actors who have to handle guns should definitely be sent to a proper shooting school like Gunsite or Thunder Ranch for training IMO. I really can't stand the two guns held sideways flying through the air while shooting crap you get in movies these days.

Graham

Love him or hate him, Steven Seagal's earlier work is still some of the best. Just ran across Out For Justice earlier today. That scene where Gino (Seagal) wades up into Richie's bar and proceeds to whup everybody's arse is friggin classic! The only person who didn't get the sh*t kicked out of 'em was the chick standing at the bar. :lol:

Edited by reddsun1

any of you slackers watched this movie yet?????

segal was good in a few of his earlier stuff i agree, and i've enjoyed most of jet li's stuff as well.

Dolph was great in this (lol regarded as a giant with a shotgun in this movie hahaha), i'm looking forward to seeing everyone's opinion on his performance.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

For me, I enjoy an action movie far more when it has an element of realism in the fight scenes, whether they be shoot outs, sword fights or unarmed combat/martial arts fights.

If an actor actual knows martial arts and/or has been trained/coached how to move/shoot/handle firearms/fight properly, and the fight is choreographed in such a way that realistic moves are used, rather than fake-ass flying through the air wire-fu, or that annoying slow-mo, then speed up crap, or the just as bad shaky camera & crap angle camera work.

Same with guns. I've been a firearms enthusiast and shooting since the mid-90s' and when I see actors that have been trained how to handle firearms correctly and use realistic and proper tactics and skills in a movie gun fight, the movie becomes so much more enjoyble for me. All actors who have to handle guns should definitely be sent to a proper shooting school like Gunsite or Thunder Ranch for training IMO. I really can't stand the two guns held sideways flying through the air while shooting crap you get in movies these days.

Graham

I'm the same way myself, but this is far too often the exception and not the norm. If I only got enjoyment out of movies in which the actors and director knew their stuff, then I wouldn't be enjoying many movies. Not every action movie is made by Michael Mann. :p And when it comes to fighting without guns, realism is even more rare. With the Expendables, I'm going in with low expectations in terms of technical accuracy. It is a tribute to the over the top action movies of the 80's and early 90's in which there were many realism problems--the least of which being tactical training. Besides, Randy Couture is in it, so I would think the fight scenes would be decent.

I watched it lastnight. I liked it just for those few minutes of Arnold in it were the best hilarity in the whole movie. But this really was a mindless shoot 'em up action film. Which was what I would figure having action stars left and right.

I watched it lastnight. I liked it just for those few minutes of Arnold in it were the best hilarity in the whole movie. But this really was a mindless shoot 'em up action film. Which was what I would figure having action stars left and right.

Well it could have been full of action stars AND directed by Ang Lee... Note, I like Ang Lee's work.

heard on the radio they were throwin around how Van Damn and Segal were wondering why they didn't get the call up? :lol: Maybe in the sequel lol.

Who else should be in it?

I call Chucka Norris to be bad guy in no.2!!!!

Van Damm, and Segal were both offered spots, but declined.

Chuck Norris these days is too busy finding cures for diseases, defeating terrorism, starring at the sun, and helping Texas secede from the union.

Van Damm, and Segal were both offered spots, but declined.

Chuck Norris these days is too busy finding cures for diseases, defeating terrorism, starring at the sun, and helping Texas secede from the union.

pffft! but that's cool thanks for that didn't know they had the opportunity. :p

Either you love this movie or you or you need to come out of the closet.

BESIDES that, you seen it right? who was your fav? Statham was the fav for mine, the knife work was excellent, but them

circling back to take the those 30 something soldiers out in their plane just did it for me.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I enjoyed the movie mostly. But I really do hope they pick up the game for the next one. Some of the action 'sequences' - like Dolph's and Jet's fight were a bit underwhelming. I'm not sure whether it was because it was poorly choreographed, or poorly shot, or a combination of both. Perhaps the actors just don't want to do that stuff anymore. Terry Crew's automatic shotgun booming away was awesome though!

BESIDES that, you seen it right? who was your fav? Statham was the fav for mine, the knife work was excellent, but them

circling back to take the those 30 something soldiers out in their plane just did it for me.

I can't pick a favorite! They were all great.

Same with guns. I've been a firearms enthusiast and shooting since the mid-90s' and when I see actors that have been trained how to handle firearms correctly and use realistic and proper tactics and skills in a movie gun fight,

Graham

Ditti. I am no firearms expert but supposed 'professionals' in a firefight standing outside cover and shooting from the chest (you know, that fave movie position where its not hip level but definitely low enough that you know he aint using the sights unless he got eyes on his nipples or neck) and bunching together etc etc. It really irks me.

And after all these years, directors still love the '600 round SMG magazine' and the 24 round revolver..

Twin pistols flying through the air doesn't irk me half as much as the Standard Round HK restaurant table being able to stop bullets once it is overturned!

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

saw it. it was fun. Spontaneous boos when M. Night Shyamlan's latest crapfest came up.

Same with the theatre I was in for this movie (expendables), AND Scott Pilgrim, AND Salt.

I don't think anyone is going to see Devil.

Saw it, so much talent wasted (not counting "actors" from UFC or WWE). I though all the one liners fell flat all but the "Remember this at Christmas" one. Hurts to come out of it like this since I was brought up on 80's action films but this film's action was boring let alone point less and the camera work was so bad. If there is a sequel I hope they get some real writes a good director and leave UFC and WWE out of it.

Edited by Save

One of the worst movies I've ever seen, absolutely awful. I'm going to give it five stars out of five though, because the movie does exactly what it sets out to do, paying homage to classic action movies and the people that starred in them. Coulda' used JCVD, Segal, Carl Weathers, some other over-the-hill action guys instead of the "new school" action guys but overall the casting was fine.

Anyone else surprised it wasn't Jet Li on the street bike?

What was Jet Li riding anyway? I couldn't see because of the horrid camera work...

Edited by myk