I think sales would have been far better if this was a sequel or continuation of Macross Chronicle, with 100% new material and not mostly reprint.

Did they honestly think the majority of Macross fans who had already bought Chronicle, where going to shell out for a slighly improved version of the same thing all over again?

Graham

I think sales would have been far better if this was a sequel or continuation of Macross Chronicle, with 100% new material and not mostly reprint.

Did they honestly think the majority of Macross fans who had already bought Chronicle, where going to shell out for a slighly improved version of the same thing all over again?

Graham

In a word, yes. It worked for Evangelion and then it worked again with Gundam. And thats not counting all the non-anime magazine series Deagnostini has republished. Its their standard business model. The issue (or 80 of them - HA!) here imo is that they miscalculated the amount of fans who would double dip due to the recent Frontier boom.

I'm just glad we dodged the bullet, but I do lament the loss of the new Macross material that was part of this series. I do hope this tells them something about what the fans are looking for and that they decide to release the new material as additional issues. I can hope :)

Yeah, I'm not surprised ether. Maybe it was just way too soon after the initial series? Either way, I would've wanted the new series, but probably wouldn't have pushed too hard for it.

I don't seem to be able to find it available online. Anyone can show me the way to purchase the 10 issues on the web? Thanks in advance.

You can't..for the most part. Any online shop that does have it probably won't ship overseas. This was also a limited-run (even more so now) volume which was only available in Hiroshima Prefecture.

You can't..for the most part. Any online shop that does have it probably won't ship overseas. This was also a limited-run (even more so now) volume which was only available in Hiroshima Prefecture.

Yikes... Thanks.

The overseas part is not too much a problem as there are lots of proxy companies now to help people to buy from Japan. The problem is looking for available copies...

So much for bad sales and yet I am unable to source it!

It all intentional. The reason they avoided mass market advertising and mail order, is to keep it isolated to hiroshima. That way they can get an idea of what percentage of the book buying market in hiroshima would buy it. If they advertised it nationwide, other prefectures would buy it and distort the sales percentages. If they made it availiable throught mail order it would be worse. Foreigners would be able to use proxy services and buy issues ment only for hiroshima residents and further distort their sales demographics.

As of issue 8, earlier this month big book stores close to train stations were packed with unsold copies. After the cancellation was announced there was a run on issues and most places are now sold out.

They should print all the planned new material in one book. I'd buy it for sure, and I bet 90% of people who collected Macross Chronicles would by it as well.

This whole let's just print and sell a small quantity in Hiroshima to test the market, seems to be really badly thought out idea.

And yes, even though it is the 30th anniversary, it is still too damn soon to reprint all the old material again!

Graham

It all intentional. The reason they avoided mass market advertising and mail order, is to keep it isolated to hiroshima. That way they can get an idea of what percentage of the book buying market in hiroshima would buy it. If they advertised it nationwide, other prefectures would buy it and distort the sales percentages. If they made it availiable throught mail order it would be worse. Foreigners would be able to use proxy services and buy issues ment only for hiroshima residents and further distort their sales demographics.

Right, so let's just sell it in one place only, spend zero on advertising and then be surprised when it doesn't sell well........duh!

Obviously, high IQs, or any knowledge or experience in marketing is not a requirement for working at Deagostini.

Of course the bright spark who decided to make it mostly reprint material only a couple of years after the last run finished is also to blame. While it may have worked for Eva and Gunam, Macross is not those shows.

Graham

Right, so let's just sell it in one place only, spend zero on advertising and then be surprised when it doesn't sell well........duh!

Obviously, high IQs, or any knowledge or experience in marketing is not a requirement for working at Deagostini.

Of course the bright spark who decided to make it mostly reprint material only a couple of years after the last run finished is also to blame. While it may have worked for Eva and Gunam, Macross is not those shows.

Graham

is there the possiblity of 1) They were contracturally required to print a run and 2) they knew it wouldnt sell so they limited the scope of the product to reduce the pain of obligatory failure?

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the verdict?

Is there any line art in these issues that is actually something we haven't seen before (or just really rare pieces we almost never see)?

Or is the big attraction the "revised" Tenjin artwork and just more colored artwork of more common pieces that were previously uncolored?

Edited by Mr March

I've been wondering about something. I have transferred all of my pages to the binders, but I am wondering what to do with the covers. I think the art on the front is very nice to keep. I've been thinking about simply cutting the front cover off and putting them all in a generic binder to save. I may even trim the back cover and save that as well.

What have you guys done with the cover once you have separated and sorted all the pages for Vol. 1 through 50?

Edited by sharky

I've been wondering about something. I have transferred all of my pages to the binders, but I am wondering what to do with the covers. I think the art on the front is very nice to keep. I've been thinking about simply cutting the front cover of and putting them all in a generic binder to save. I may even trim the back cover and save that as well.

What have you guys done with the cover once you have separated and sorted all the pages for Vol. 1 through 50?

I just put 'em in a box and put that box in my storage space.

So what's the verdict? Is there any line art in these issues that is actually something we haven't seen before (or just really rare pieces we almost never see)? Or is the big attraction the "revised" Tenjin artwork and just more colored artwork of more common pieces that were previously uncolored?

Yeah, I'd like to know too!!! Come on, share what you've got Tochiro!

PS: since it's a dead publication... why not scan the new art/pages for us with the old chronicle? :)

Oh, don't look at me like that. I HAD to try.

Edited by nexxstrait

• 6 months later...

I think I just wetted my pants

[edit after browsing the official site]

I fear most of the new content will be Episodes Sheets, Heroine Sheets (unending sadness) and Updateg Goods Sheet, along with some new Tenjin artworks. And MF Movies material, of course.

Mmm, this will be a tough decision to make.

Edited by nexxstrait

*sigh*

If I must, I must. No defying the Hory Froating Head here...

And then suddenly HLJ's 'Private Warehouse' option is looking good... At least I'll be able to have them shipped in batches of 8 or 9.

Now, what to do with the old set... :unsure:

Mixed emotions. I'm thankful for plenty of new Macross Chronicle material but...I REALLY didn't want it like this. Worst thing is, I just bet there's going to be some material from the old Macross Chronicle that they don't include in the new series. Meaning I'll have to keep both. So damn inefficient. Grrr, arrgh :)

Mixed emotions. I'm thankful for plenty of new Macross Chronicle material but...I REALLY didn't want it like this. Worst thing is, I just bet there's going to be some material from the old Macross Chronicle that they don't include in the new series. Meaning I'll have to keep both. So damn inefficient. Grrr, arrgh :)

Welcome to Japan. :p

Yeah, not sure about picking this up again. Even with updates, corrections, new pages, etc., it probably won't be released in the same order so we'll all have to start collecting from the beginning all over again.