what are you talking about? it's a gundam head, it looks like every other gundam head ever.

That is the WORST headsculpt implemented for this gimmick BECAUSE of the gimmick. The side panels of the head are to wide and away from the face, and the V Fin/Unicorn Horn is freakishly HUGE! The body looks good, but the head is horribly off.

Are we talking about the head sculpt of the specific model, Or the the design of the Unicorn Gundam's head in general? If we're talking about the latter, I like the Unicorns head design. If we're talking about the former, I was too busy being amazed by the way it moves on it own to notice.

Is that the RG, treatment? I started it last weekend. I have the Core Fighter and the lower body done, but I haven't had time to finish. Hopefully today, when the wife goes and visits her friends.

Yeah, it's the RG.

A wee bit insecure to my liking with the upper-body easily dislodging at times, but it holds up well enough most of the time so it's still all good.

I need some help and advice. Next AnimeBoston I might be hosting a workshop on Gunpla, so I need some recommendations on where to buy a bulk mass of kits cheap. I'm talking roughly 40-100 HGUC level kits. Is it possible to by direct from Bandai?

Do you guys think it would be good to get an assortment of kits, or should they all be the same? I'm debating wether I want this to be a by the book instructional for newbies, or a free for all. This whole idea grew from the Building Gundams With Overnight Security panel I help with every year and the chats I had with them. Apparently a lot of people have been asking for a larger workshop like the yearly plushy one they have, and I want to help back it.

Yeah, it's the RG.

OK, you inspired me to finally finish mine. Unfortunately, I have no action base, cool lighting, or awesome spaceship to pose it with, but...

post-187-0-09639600-1409514971_thumb.jpg

A wee bit insecure to my liking with the upper-body easily dislodging at times, but it holds up well enough most of the time so it's still all good.

Well, that about sums it up. With the modified shoulders, new Core Fighter, new legs, and new skirt armor the GP02fb almost feels like a new kit, even with the same arms and head. Sadly, there's no new accessories, though. No bullpup machine gun, nor the bigger beam rifle (that they admittedly used like once). Same beam rifle and shield as the regular GP01.

Then, as treatment said, the top doesn't stay attached as well as the regular GP01. Both the RX-78 and the GP01 are really solid, even with a Core Fighter inside, but the top feels like it's barely hanging on, and and is prone to coming off when you fiddle with the GP01fb. This is possibly due to the fact that the Core fighter is entirely contained in the RX-78, and mostly contained in the GP01. For the GP01fb, though, the backpack and the bell thrusters are part of the Core Fighter, so the top is really just a layer over the top, the vents, and a cockpit hatch.

The GP01fb has some big feet. Unlike most of the SEED RG kits, his feet are big enough that the bell thrusters on his backpack aren't enough to tip him over.

If you're looking for a great Gunpla but aren't trying to do them all, I highly recommend the GP01 and would suggest it over the GP01fb. That being said, the GP01fb isn't quite as fiddly as Zeta, or as back heavy as the Seed kits.

Now I've built them all except the Skygrasper and Char's Z'Gok. For fun, I'd rate them in this order.

1. Gundam Mk-II (AEUG or Titans)

2. Zaku II (the green one)

3. GP01

4. Zaku II (Char's)

5. RX-78

6. Exia

7. Freedom

8. Strike Freedom

9. GP01fb

10. Strike

11. Zeta

12. Justice

13. Destiny

Are we talking about the head sculpt of the specific model, Or the the design of the Unicorn Gundam's head in general? If we're talking about the latter, I like the Unicorns head design. If we're talking about the former, I was too busy being amazed by the way it moves on it own to notice.

-_- nevermind man, nevermind, you didn't get it.

I need some help and advice. Next AnimeBoston I might be hosting a workshop on Gunpla, so I need some recommendations on where to buy a bulk mass of kits cheap. I'm talking roughly 40-100 HGUC level kits. Is it possible to by direct from Bandai?

Do you guys think it would be good to get an assortment of kits, or should they all be the same? I'm debating wether I want this to be a by the book instructional for newbies, or a free for all. This whole idea grew from the Building Gundams With Overnight Security panel I help with every year and the chats I had with them. Apparently a lot of people have been asking for a larger workshop like the yearly plushy one they have, and I want to help back it.

Normally if you give them the number to the bandai kits you're looking to buy, many Hobby stores will order them up for you. Now discount wise, I dunno if they'd let ya or not...I would if I wanted the business I'd probably knock off 10-15% of my store price for such a big order. But I don't own a shop.

Next up, variety of kits are easier to get ahold of than trying to get 40-100 of the same....that could be problematic as the Bandai rep might not be able to order that many of the same particular kit due to quantity on hand.

Even if you get a variety, the principle of the build is the same. Grab tree C, cut parts 43, 44, 16 and 12, assemble as per the diagram be sure to follow any specifics to get the right fit, then move on. It won't matter to much if the person is building a HG 1/144 RX-78-2 or a PG Zeta Gundam...they all pretty much follow the same guidelines.

Again, variety, if they're free kits to teach ppl to build they shouldn't bitch and moan that someone got 00 Riser and then someone got a Zaku. I'd be happy with whatever I got, even if it were G-Savior.

Who is the target audience for your workshop? I think that makes a big difference.

If it's for beginners, while I agree with Hikuro in principle, I think it might be better for everyone to have the same kit if possible. Not a dealbreaker if you can't, just better if you can. Maybe a very popular kit that Bandai keeps making a ton of, like the RX-78 v3/v30th, or a recent kit that might be more readily available. Not sure when the next AnimeBoston is, but I'm sure the G-Self will be everywhere pretty soon.

As for buying direct from Bandai, I doubt it. They just don't seem to have much of a US presence anymore. AFAIK, though, most hobby stores and what not in the US get their supply of Gunpla directly or indirectly through Bluefin. You can try getting it touch with them... I mean, if you buy that many, it's basically a wholesale order anyway. They have an email address: customerservice@bluefin.com.

Finally, as for the by-the-book vs. free-for-all, I'd again suggest that it depends on the target audience. I've now built a handful of HGs and most of the RGs, and I'm only now getting interested in customizing. I can honestly say that back on my first or second build customizing would have been too intimidating. On the other hand, it's an absolutely great topic of a more advanced workshop.

I'd be happy with whatever I got, even if it were G-Savior.

I don't know if I'd go that far. I'm trying really hard to forget that G-Savior was a thing. Edited by mikeszekely

I would figure out what you plan on presenting first, then base your kit choices around what you plan on presenting. You could do a mix of tutorial and Q&A. But I would definitely figure out the presentation first (regardless if it's a teaching moment or Q&A) then find kits what would best fit that presentation.

Also, you could order from most retailers. Just indicate how many you want and most should be able to fulfill the order.

So I'm racking my brain on this. I have MG Turn A and Turn X....I dunno if I wanna make them clean builds or weathered. It's hard to choose cause they're "Super Hi-tech" mobile suits with Nano machine technology that repairs them and such, but they'd both been burried on Earth and the Moon for thousands of years....UGH SCIENCE MY BRAIN!

So I'm racking my brain on this. I have MG Turn A and Turn X....I dunno if I wanna make them clean builds or weathered. It's hard to choose cause they're "Super Hi-tech" mobile suits with Nano machine technology that repairs them and such, but they'd both been burried on Earth and the Moon for thousands of years....UGH SCIENCE MY BRAIN!

I'd go for clean but that's because I can't remember them ever looking dirty in the show. Turn A and X both definitely look great once they have been panel lined. I couldn't find a decent weathered Turn A kit but I found this Turn X that looks fantastic, may give you some ideas. http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2014/06/mg-1100-turn-x-weathered-and-custom.html

I'd go for clean but that's because I can't remember them ever looking dirty in the show. Turn A and X both definitely look great once they have been panel lined. I couldn't find a decent weathered Turn A kit but I found this Turn X that looks fantastic, may give you some ideas. http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2014/06/mg-1100-turn-x-weathered-and-custom.html

Another Naoki build - that man is my current Gunpla hero. No excessive surgery, but very well-balanced weathering.

10441902_522976731164819_314861455350650

Thanks for the advice guys. I think for the most part it will be a workshop for beginners so I do kinda want to have everybody on the same page, but I also don't want to alienate people who would look at the kits and be like "Ewwwww I don't wanna build a GM!" and would prefer Wing or G gundam kits instead so I'm leaning towards just getting a variety.

Either today or in the coming week I'm going to head up to the comic store where I by all my kits and talk to them about backing the workshop.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think for the most part it will be a workshop for beginners so I do kinda want to have everybody on the same page, but I also don't want to alienate people who would look at the kits and be like "Ewwwww I don't wanna build a GM!" and would prefer Wing or G gundam kits instead so I'm leaning towards just getting a variety.

Either today or in the coming week I'm going to head up to the comic store where I by all my kits and talk to them about backing the workshop.

If there's a TFAW in your area, I'd talk to them as well, good publicity and sales marketing. We do it all the time where I'm at. We're currently lending some stuff out to the cast and crew of Portlandia while they're filming. Nothing I can talk about though. But damn good publicity for us.

That's better weathering technique than I could pull off. But's an idea.

Maybe a little bit of shading? It's not exactly weathering, but it blurs the line between cartoony & realistic.

I dunno what I'd even shade it too, and there are so many lines on the Turn A and Turn X that it'd just be a real pain in the ass to do.

BUT, I did start building my new Turn A, this is actually my 2nd attempt at the kit, and honestly, this attempt is turning out far better than my first so many years ago. I think...I wanna say I got that kit back in 09 and I enjoyed it, it was so different than others I've built. Was always a ton of Fun! I've always been a fan of Syd Mead's designs of scifi stuff...from cars, to buildings, to machines in general. Turn A was one of my favorite animes. Just wish there was a decent subtitled version of the 2 movies. God that's hard to watch as a bootleg.

I dunno what I'd even shade it too, and there are so many lines on the Turn A and Turn X that it'd just be a real pain in the ass to do.

I suppose it will take some doing (the right way). If you're going for speed, try doing a color wash - slightly darker than the color coat. I tried it on the Nobell, and it looks pretty. :lol:

Another option would be to give it a flat coat and then slightly polish it with a cloth dipped in graphite powder - instant nano machine finish!

Hm, interesting, I think I'd wanna see how that looked before I"d even try that! It'll get a flat coat though in the end, give it a more metallic look I guess. I'm almost done with Turn A. I just gotta build the accessories and the core block. But I wanna work on the pilot still. Kinda odd molding it into the core block itself. just odd.

post-600-0-22180600-1409716135_thumb.jpg Had some difficulties cause the canopy is so badly done imo...it pops off with the slightest touch.

post-600-0-00379700-1409716117_thumb.jpg But I'm also very proud of my panel line job and tried very hard not to over do it in areas not really needing it.

I gave him the beam saber and shield versus his rifle or hammer cause it felt more iconic to the character I think.

Also, painting the cockpit was rather tricky. All I really did was blob a lot of white, let it dry, then a little gray on the VR hud, little blue on the controls and a little red on the pilot suit. It's not amazing, but it works.

It's hilarious how they call it a Gundoom to avoid the Gundam trademark, but they mention fictional company Anaheim Electronics twice on the box.

How's the quality of these Gundooms? Any idea where to get them? I've often thought my collection needed more conaoennal mobile suits...

I ordered mine from here:

http://gundamcentral.weebly.com/store/p163/MC_MODEL_COMPREHEND_RX_105_Xi_GUNDOOM_GUNDAM_.html

Price is quite affordable, considering that it does include the shipping costs. Shipping was super fast.

You can see the kit with a very smooth finish in this auction:

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d155781198

It uses some metal parts, but otherwise I don't spot any obviously altered parts from the standard kit.

from what I read, it is better than the usual China offering. Model Comprehend is one of the better China 3P company that sells gundam. Their XI gundoom is praised to have similar feel with Bandai but it is without an issue. I wish I can quote what I read before in other forum but I can't find it now. (there is active Youtube review on it though)

Okay I have a few more questions on Gundam kits...

Is there any difference between the HGUC Zeta Nemo and the Unicorn version aside from colors?

Has a super deformed version of Bearguy ever been released?

Anybody want money to do a custom paint scheme for a Bearguy for me? I've tried twice now to paint a Boston Bruins jersey on the guy and both times I've screwed up big time. I just don't have the steady hand for it, and it would mean a lot to me.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Is there any difference between the HGUC Zeta Nemo and the Unicorn version aside from colors?

Nope. Unicorn version comes with the extra 90mm GM rifle.

Has a super deformed version of Bearguy ever been released?

Anybody want money to do a custom paint scheme for a Bearguy for me? I've tried twice now to paint a Boston Bruins jersey on the guy and both times I've screwed up big time. I just don't have the steady hand for it, and it would mean a lot to me.

same thing as Azrael said.

as for your other Q, don't think there's a SD variant cause of its design.

and sounds like you need a decal. problem is size and design. if it has white it can't be done on a normal printer as most can't produce white ink.