I've finally started building the MG Nu-Gundam I've had lying around for years... it's been raining non-stop since Friday, which should have been sufficient reason to do it...but somehow I'm totally unenthusiastic about this Gundam...my mind is on other stuff...but...onward, onward...

Pete

I've finally started building the MG Nu-Gundam I've had lying around for years... it's been raining non-stop since Friday, which should have been sufficient reason to do it...but somehow I'm totally unenthusiastic about this Gundam...my mind is on other stuff...but...onward, onward...

Pete

To be fair, after seeing the Hi-Nu, the Nu loses a lot of its charm.

Well, it's an old kit - relatively. The year 2000 I think. It's not that bad, but it is kind of a boring build compared to newer kits. I was considering the Hi-Nu, but I guess i just want to have as many of the MSs that appeared in the original UC timeline as possible. Needless to say, I'd love it if there were more version 2.0 of stuff - but then, Zeta 2.0, Char's Zaku is 2.0, Amuro' Gundam is 2.0, the Gouf and the GM are 2.0 ...

Also, interesting about the Nu is no core booster :-)

And it's towering huge too :-) It's ok. Maybe I'll finish it today ...

Pete

Realized I never uploaded any pics from the Gunpla competition at Fanime. My RXF-91 did participate, and the judge really appreciated seeing the older kit despite it's flaws. Speaking of which, it was interesting, if a little expected to hear how my kits were marked down. It's a point of frustration to hear me getting smoked partly on simply not owning an airbrush. Though this was to be expected, and I knew they'd get marked down on that (for "uneven paint") and some missing parts. Though i do think it's a touch unfair, and should be considered. Seams are my other big issue, and he says they mark down a lot on that, and would even give bonus points if done on older, more problematic kits.

G-3 won best Out Of the Box. I would've expected Mk-II, but I'm guessing the missing thruster had a hand in that. I saw him talking about it while putting up the awards in front of G-3. Couldn't make it out, but I already know I won by default. ^_^;; He did explain that they liked my take on the G-3 scheme. Like I explained to him, none of these were built with competition in mine, and each is a learning experience, RXF-91 being only my second fully painted mecha. He seemed to accept that.

I got this Jegan as a prize for winning OOB. http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN969491 I'm not one for grunts and it's my first HG, but it should prove useful practice for seam removal.

post-1202-0-11712000-1310033928_thumb.jpg

RXF-91. Missing some fingers and part of the horn. Thankfully, I found the missing beam saber hilts and fixed the main horn in time. She is rather sloppy looking compared to the others.

post-1202-0-28672500-1310034296_thumb.jpg

G-3, a 1.0 MG. I find it amusing that he mentioned the pose being deficient, while acknowledging that that's due to it being an old kit. Kind of sad to be knocked for something they know is a fact. I had the shield signed by Furuya, in possibly the most impersonal autograph session I'd ever been to.

post-1202-0-57583500-1310034298_thumb.jpg

MkII, in her original pose. She got knocked over when someone bumped the glass.

In the end, it went about how I expected, and aside from the needless waiting around during judging (when he didn't even ask any question and it was obvious I could show up later, like the others did), it was a neat experience. Frankly, just having them on display for three days at the con for all to see and photograph was kind of a cool feeling.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

In regards to Hi-Nu vs. Nu, I greatly prefer Nu design wise. Nu is one of my favorites if not my absolute favorite, and that's due to design not being overly flashy. Nu just plain looks like a machine of war, whereas Hi-Nu looks more like the hotrods of Seed that I loath so much. Maybe it's the paint scheme...

If you don't want her Pete, send her my way. ^_^ I've been wanting to add it to my collection.

If you don't want her Pete, send her my way. ^_^ I've been wanting to add it to my collection.

Given how utterly and totally broke and in debt I am - that is tempting - but I have a feeling this'll be that last Gundam I build for a long time. I think I subconsciously kept in in storage so long because, knowing how screwed I am financially - I wanted an unbuilt model for a "rainy sunday"... it's been raining all week :-)

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone else saw this, but take a look at the G-System-Shop home page:

http://www.g-system-shop.com/

They seem to be offering two new kits, a standard 1/72 rx-78-2, and a new 1/72 Xi gundam. What's interesting is that these figures feature a pre-built (at least, I think) internal frame, that interestingly enough, is made out of ABS plastics. This may be what a lot of people were looking for: A model with the beauty of a resin kit, but the durability/playability of a standard plamo. All I know is, it looks easy enough to build with a pre-build frame and pre-colored parts, so I might get one as my first introduction to resin...

Edited by Archer

• 3 weeks later...

Ha! I knew if I waited long enough I wouldn't regret passing on the B-Club Dra-C conversion kit. Now I just gotta find the time to build my HGUC 0083 flotilla. :p

Now all that's left from 0083 is the Gerbera Tetra. Oh and Xamel.

Here's hopin' they complete the set. The current 1/144 Gerbera Tetra ain't too bad, but an HGUC update would be very welcome. The only Xamel I've seen is a not-quite-to-scale GFF toy, though there was probably some vastly expensive resin kit of it as well. Considering that they did the Psyco Gundam and Dendrobium in HGUC, the Xamel isn't out of the question.

It'd be cool if they did the GP04 that the Gerbera Tetra was supposed to lead into too. That's probably hoping for too much. :D

I want a Gerbera Tetra Ver. Ka in 1/100 because I'm just crazy like that.

Garberakai.jpg

I'd buy it :D

If anyone's interested, Hobbylink Japan's got Softbank's next Gundam Master Archive (equivalent to their Macross Variable Fighter Master File) up for pre-order. Their RGM-79 volume was cool, so I'd recommend it.

Master Archive Mobile Suit RX-78 Gundam

I was 98% sure the FA Unicorn Gundam was coming, which is why I didn't bother with OVA version.

But am I the only one that is kind of hoping that the FA Unicorn Gundam loses the transformation gimmick.

My Ver. Ka Unicorn is annoying to handle in NT-D mode, with to many parts collapsing/unlocking when holding it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

local hobby store had a RG Zaku II so i picked it up and also splurged a bit more and got the new concept version of Deathscythe from Endless Waltz. I'm really looking forward to the RG! It's like the closest and cheapest variant combining of MG and PG technology. But the Deathscythe was always one of my favorites....so I don't know which one to choose!

• 1 month later...

I got bored today, so I went out and picked up the 1/144 Entry Grade (EG) RX-78-2 Gundam for less than US$6.00. I was expecting this kit to suck royally, but it's actually not bad at all. The Chinese factory churning these kits did a good job replicating the texture of Japanese Gunpla. The box opens up to reveal the assembly instructions inside (not that anyone needs to read them, anyway). Enclosed is a small foil sheet that contains stickers for the eyes, chin, V-fin, chest vents, crotch and the yellow squares on the skirt armor.

The kit contains four runners in three different colors: white, blue and red. Having no paint on this kit is no excuse, as the backpack and the two beam sabers are molded in one blue piece. The beam rifle is also one solid blue piece, and it's wafer-thin. As mentioned a few pages back, there are no elbow and knee joints, so the kit is limited to standing poses only, not to mention that the biceps and thighs are hollow on one side. There are, however, ball joints on the neck, shoulders, hips and ankles, so you can have it in an acceptable shooting pose. Surprisingly, the pelvis can swing sideways like the HG kits from the Gundam OO line, and it even has a port to accommodate an Action Base.

Overall, it's not a bad kit if you simply want to kill some free time. Later this week, I'll post some pics of it alongside my 1/144 HG RX-78-2 Gundam Version G30th.

I just keep hoping they'll release an HGUC of the Sniper II on their own some day. I've wanted a decent model of that since "Rise From The Ashes" on the Dreamcast. :D