Well, I've not worked on extra gloss kits before, but even just bare plastic is usually pretty glossy, making panel lining easy. Clean it off afterward, and I'd imagine the factory-applied gloss won't be affected at all. What type of paint/thinner are you thinking of using?

Apply the panel lining directly on top of the gloss coat and you'll be fine without having to re-topcoat. The panel lining might rub off easily, but that's about it.

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Thanks, I'll watch for that.  Also, please don't take this the wrong way---but your pics make me certain that opening up the chest and re-doing the main green chest crystal was the right thing to do.  Just way too dark as-is.  

PS to everybody---anyone have experience/tips for panel-lining the "hi-gloss" plastic?   I don't want to clear-coat it at all, that'd kinda ruin the point.  Will wash-type stuff "run too much"?  I'd like a quite subtle look. 

Did you repaint the Crystal? If you end up panelwashing yours, l' d love to see  some pics. 

P.s. I think grey tamiya panel wash would work well for the wings as to not stand out too much.

I'm relatively new to the Gunpla hobby.

My mate had bought me a couple of RG units a little while back and I'd built them and didn't really think all too much about them other than they were of decent detail.  The 1/144 scale wasn't that nice for me.

Earlier this year I bought a MG Red Astray and gave it a go.  Quite liked the larger size and the detail that the MG kit provided.

I've put some light panel lining on and recently painted a couple of of the more prominent panels on the knees and shoulders (don't have these photos yet).  Intending to get some top coat and also maybe a bit of weathering kit.

Here it is so far anyway...

I've got 2 more on order now... 

IMG_20171022_172728.jpg.de681c6e39edd107c1dd6b6f56d084dd.jpgIMG_20171022_172701.jpg.ca14d373beaba528571162a92eaeafc9.jpgIMG_20171020_230151.jpg.f5e51979eda8128618949cdcd664fc02.jpgIMG_20171020_230133.jpg.dc462ffc0690d73479ed43367088bc90.jpgIMG_20171020_000802.jpg.5eed7f78dea8cf07317fe4aa49a6aa4d.jpgIMG_20171019_080628.jpg.a1c91880a59435879dfa21bd66bdffb1.jpg

On 10/29/2017 at 5:09 PM, David Hingtgen said:

PS to everybody---anyone have experience/tips for panel-lining the "hi-gloss" plastic?   I don't want to clear-coat it at all, that'd kinda ruin the point.  Will wash-type stuff "run too much"?  I'd like a quite subtle look. 

I'm not familiar with high-gloss kits but, I assume it's similar to what I'm facing with a metallic coating kit (Akatsuki). I want to add a bit of panel-lining but it's tricky because the metaliic finish can easily get damaged or come off if you use anything hot like enamel or lacquer.   I'm thinking of using Vallejo's dark gray wash as I heard it's water based so it should be safe to use.

Edited by Vifam7

On 10/30/2017 at 8:02 PM, dero said:

I'm relatively new to the Gunpla hobby.

My mate had bought me a couple of RG units a little while back and I'd built them and didn't really think all too much about them other than they were of decent detail.  The 1/144 scale wasn't that nice for me.

Earlier this year I bought a MG Red Astray and gave it a go.  Quite liked the larger size and the detail that the MG kit provided.

I've put some light panel lining on and recently painted a couple of of the more prominent panels on the knees and shoulders (don't have these photos yet).  Intending to get some top coat and also maybe a bit of weathering kit.

Here it is so far anyway...

I've got 2 more on order now... 

IMG_20171022_172728.jpg.de681c6e39edd107c1dd6b6f56d084dd.jpgIMG_20171022_172701.jpg.ca14d373beaba528571162a92eaeafc9.jpgIMG_20171020_230151.jpg.f5e51979eda8128618949cdcd664fc02.jpgIMG_20171020_230133.jpg.dc462ffc0690d73479ed43367088bc90.jpgIMG_20171020_000802.jpg.5eed7f78dea8cf07317fe4aa49a6aa4d.jpgIMG_20171019_080628.jpg.a1c91880a59435879dfa21bd66bdffb1.jpg

look around your room, you see this empty wall? before you know it, i'll have a layer of gundam boxes over it. ^_^

It stands for Premium Bandai. It's Bandai's online shop for items like Tamashii web exclusives, limited-popularity model kits, etc. It only serves Japan, so ordering something from it (such as the VF-31A Kairos toy or Messer -31F Super parts) requires a third-party proxy company.

5 hours ago, F360 said:

look around your room, you see this empty wall? before you know it, i'll have a layer of gundam boxes over it. ^_^

I'd love to have an empty wall in my room haha

Though what I really want is a new house. After that my problem then would be 'filling' it :lol:

Even Bandai realizes they're releasing a lot of P-Bandai Jegans

Buy a P-Bandai Jegan within the time period and get a free Jegan Decal Sheet :p

thanks-jegan.jpg

thanks-jegan-decal.jpg

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/10/thanks-jegan-campaign-announced-by.html

WHERE IS MY 1/100 JEGAN BANDAI? gaaaah if it can't stand next to my MG UNicorn and Nu Gundam ver ka I don't want it.

1 hour ago, Duymon said:

Even Bandai realizes they're releasing a lot of P-Bandai Jegans

Buy a P-Bandai Jegan within the time period and get a free Jegan Decal Sheet :p

thanks-jegan.jpg

thanks-jegan-decal.jpg

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/10/thanks-jegan-campaign-announced-by.html

WHERE IS MY 1/100 JEGAN BANDAI? gaaaah if it can't stand next to my MG UNicorn and Nu Gundam ver ka I don't want it.

I have to agree, I've been dying for a 1/100 stark jegan

There's been an update on the Gundam Airbrush System. 

SO apparently you can't just throw any marker up there and spray, you need to replace the tip/core of markers you want to use on the airbrush with the special ones provided in the set. Base set has 3 cores and you have to buy additional cores for all the other markers you wish to use.

It costs 270 yen to get 6 cores, so basically 45 yen to add airbrush functionality to any gundam marker.

gundam-marker-core.JPG

gundam-marker-airbrush-system%2B%25285%2

gundam-marker-airbrush-system%2B%25281%2

Still not 100% sure I'd be up for this. Gundam Mecha color from Vallejo has been so easy to use on my Iwata and I feel weird spraying color onto unprimed surfaces :0

On 11/3/2017 at 8:31 AM, Duymon said:

There's been an update on the Gundam Airbrush System.

Seems like a lot of trouble and expense for nothing. A normal airbrush is probably more economical and reliable in the long run.

10 hours ago, arbit said:

Seems like a lot of trouble and expense for nothing. A normal airbrush is probably more economical and reliable in the long run.

Agreed. This is why I have a couple of exquisite airbrushes. I actually have three, 2 Paasche H series single action brushes, and a Paasche VL series double action brush. They are fantastic tools. I paid about $75 for my VL, which is not bad considering that there are more expensive brushes out there that don't have an appreciable difference in function.

I bought an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and an Iwata Sprint IS-800 bundle off Ebay for $200 which is an insane deal. Considering how easy it is to use Vallejo Air and Ammo Mig paints I would never bother with the Gundam Airbrush system since it just seems like a PITA.

I have an Iwata Neo, and I'm not that happy with it.  I can't control spraying in small areas, due to splatter and congestion.

Will the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS be better for me? I have 2 years experience.

1 hour ago, arbit said:

I have an Iwata Neo, and I'm not that happy with it.  I can't control spraying in small areas, due to splatter and congestion.

Will the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS be better for me? I have 2 years experience.

Try not thinning your paint as much, or try reducing your air pressure. With my H series, I need about 35psi, but my VL want's to run lower pressure. I hope that helps.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

2 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

I thought you were going to order one. I love this design so I couldn't let it pass.

Bought it from AE. I'll post some WIP pics.

I thought so too. But I really don't have time to build it. And I have a feeling that I will really feel bad if they announce an Advanced version soon. :unsure:

I'll just await your pics, Ignacio. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm